• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EekTheKat

Did my collector Plat on Glacier of all things, had one Juggernaut, 2 Infiltrators, and one sync kill target dummy.

Infiltrators pretty much just followed the Juggernaut and cleaned house, while the sync kill decoy would run off and die somewhere.

Mindlog

Who would be considered the best non-sexbot Shotgun Infiltrator?

I rock the Claymore on my Shadow
3 Way Tie Between Geth, Quarian Male, and Drell.
The Salarian is pretty good too.

I have a fondness for the Melee Shadow.

Crusader IX
Valkyrie VI
Crusader X

Well no more Crusaders for me.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just saw that a new Operation is in effect. I could probably do the first two tiers on my own, but would anyone want to hook up later on in the week to extract for the 3rd Tier? On Platinum?

Chocobro

Just saw that a new Operation is in effect. I could probably do the first two tiers on my own, but would anyone want to hook up later on in the week to extract for the 3rd Tier? On Platinum?

I'm down for that. I haven't played with any of you guys so there may be some skepticism about my abilities :|

Sai

Commendation Pack #1: Valkyrie V
Commendation Pack #2: Valiant VII

Arsenal Pack #1: Paladin V, Black Widow VIII
Reserve Pack #1: Spitfire II
Arsenal Pack #2: Pistol Power Magnifier V

Went through Cerberus and the Geth on Glacier/Platinum. I'll take care of the Reapers and Collectors tomorrow. Gotta hit the sack. >_<

An-Det

Got the Hurricane 6 and 7 in my gift pack and first commendation pack, and got some decent unlocks in my arsenal packs. Dont think I'll be able to do the Insanity version of the challenge though, I've never even played Platinum (I'm comfortable on gold, but just dont have enough weapon unlocks for Plat yet). I'll give it a shot but I'm skeptical of getting it.

Got the Hurricane 6 and 7 in my gift pack and first commendation pack, and got some decent unlocks in my arsenal packs. Dont think I'll be able to do the Insanity version of the challenge though, I've never even played Platinum (I'm comfortable on gold, but just dont have enough weapon unlocks for Plat yet). I'll give it a shot but I'm skeptical of getting it.

I'm sure there are people in this thread willing to help out, I'm willing to join in with people looking to clear the challenge as well.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just so you all know, going straight away into the Platinum challenges gets you the Normal challenges at the same time as well.

Got the Valkyrie II and III and the Eagle VIII last night from them, so not all that happy but it is what it is - could've potential maxed out my Hurricane though.

Dark Channel and Annihilation Fiel are shit powers. The damage rate you do is too low in comparison with projected powers that you can hit enemies multiple times.

If by "shit" you mean being able to kill a boss character from 100% to zero without firing a bullet in a matter of time on Platinum with the Asari Infiltrator, or even just being able to prime an enemy for an explosion instantly with no travel time, or secondly being half the reason why the N7 Fury is the fastest Biotic Comboer in the game, then sure, they're "shit" powers alright.

Biotics are pointless other than for Biosplosions, those deal so much more damage than any single biotic can.
Well, maybe there are a couple of exceptions, like Lash which kills singular enemies well if used correctly.

I don't even think it's possible to NOT have a useful effect with biotics aside from explosions, for example with Warp debuffing enemies and Reave draining them for extra damage reduction on yourself. No one in their right mind would spec or even use a character with a biotic power that wasn't for a purpose so your post doesn't really make a point.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't even think it's possible to NOT have a useful effect with biotics aside from explosions, for example with Warp debuffing enemies and Reave draining them for extra damage reduction on yourself. No one in their right mind would spec or even use a character with a biotic power that wasn't for a purpose so your post doesn't really make a point.

Sure, Warp reduces armor and has Expose... and vanishes the moment i blow it up with another biotic power.
Reave i don't use, for i don't play characters with Reave (because their other powers are weak, boring or just not for me). Oh and i'm never quite sure just how Reave works in ME3: Does the damage reduction last only as long as the Reave is active on some enemy, or does it simply activate for the duration when Reave is used on a valid target, even if the target dies right away? Either way, i don't care for it, i can stick to cover to avoid getting shot. My characters are glass-cannons...
To me, Biotics are a method to do immense damage, any extra effects are just a bonus and temporary, not something i think about.
Applies to Tech powers as well, if i play a tech class, i pick one with freezing and burning effect and use cryo and fire explosions (usually the former, easier to set up and detonate) to deal maxium damage.

EDIT since i play mostly (99% of time) with PUGs, i sacrifice any utility for extra damage as that servers me far better than utility my random stupid team mates don't take advantage of.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A year later do people still play it online?

I find groups rather quickly on PC, so yeah. Still plenty of people are playing this.

Funny. I remember before the release of this game that people saying multiplayer would be abandoned after a month or two. :p

Got a snow day from work today. Already finished the silver/gold challenge. Anybody want to help me complete the Plat part on Xbox? I can rock my Valkyrie.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I find groups rather quickly on PC, so yeah. Still plenty of people are playing this.

Funny. I remember before the release of this game that people saying multiplayer would be abandoned after a month or two. :p

I'm tempted to try it but I loathe buying Gold subscriptions... Anyone knows how alive the online is on 360?

Woorloog

Banned
Suggestions for a newbie character?

Biotic detonations, decoys, drones, shield-restore specced geth turrets.
EDIT that is, any of following, always useful: Human Adept or Sentinel, Engineers with Drones, Salarian Engineer, Geth Engineer. The latter two assuming you get one from a newbie pack. Also, save your money for Reserves Packs (99k credits per pack).

EDIT or play what you want and learn to be effective with that.

Suggestions for a newbie character?

Depends what you have unlocked. If you are just starting out, go with an adept since they are not weapon dependent. I really like the Drell adept. Play bronze, and buy recruit packs until you unlock some classes and get some weapons upgraded. The jump from bronze to silver isnt very big so once you can finish close to the top on points in bronze try to jump up. You get way more credits on silver which will allow you to unlock stuff much quicker.

Woorloog

Banned
Reserves pack are way better than Recruits. They can give commons, uncommons and better, and much more at once. Sure, it takes time to get money for one but it is worth it.
If for nothing else than that you get multiple consumables per pack usually, not just one or two a recruit pack gives.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Reserves pack are way better than Recruits. They can give commons, uncommons and better, and much more at once. Sure, it takes time to get money for one but it is worth it.
If for nothing else than that you get multiple consumables per pack usually, not just one or two a recruit pack gives.

Don't you get like less than 20k credits with bronze games? A newbie pretty much have to start there since his lvl, guns and multiplayer experience aren't that good. And considering a Reserve pack is 99k... That's pretty much 5 or 6 Bronze games before he can buy a single pack. Kinda sucks to wait that long.

played the worst pub gold game ever. everyone camped on one room. they refused to move even when it was a delivery mission or a defuse the 4 bomb missions. I had to do everything by myself and it took so long as they refused to move.

ended up top of the leaderboard as I killed everyone alone ffs.

got cerberus and collectors to do on gold and im done.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't you get like less than 20k credits with bronze games? A newbie pretty much have to start there since his lvl, guns and multiplayer experience aren't that good. And considering a Reserve pack is 99k... That's pretty much 5 or 6 Bronze games before he can buy a single pack. Kinda sucks to wait that long.

At level ten, a character can easily move to Silver. And it is better to learn to play on higher difficulties fast, i think, if for nothing else than to get more money.
Just IMO.
At very least buy at least Veteran packs, not Recruits.

played the worst pub gold game ever. everyone camped on one room. they refused to move even when it was a delivery mission or a defuse the 4 bomb missions. I had to do everything by myself and it took so long as they refused to move.

ended up top of the leaderboard as I killed everyone alone ffs.

got cerberus and collectors to do on gold and im done.
I would've camped with them or quit. Probably the former, and laugh as we fail the objective wave due to their insistence of not doing anything.

Yeah I think bronze only gets you like 13k, I guess you could wait until every other bronze and then buy a pack, but at first you have all those commons to unlock it seems like a waste to spend 20k on a pack and just get a bunch of commons.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I cannot fucking stand players like this. I'm hugely lenient towards bad players because everybody has to start somewhere, and if someone is noticeably worse than me I like to play a few rounds with them in hopes they'll learn the ropes. I'm okay with bad builds and load-outs. I'm okay with us failing a round because the team couldn't get their shit together and keep the enemy pinned down.

I'm not okay with fuckwits who won't participate in objectives. There's almost no benefit to camping and simply surviving. You need to kill the enemies. You need to complete the objective. You need to do these things to recycle waves and move the game forward. Not doing this results in less points for you and everybody else. Nobody earns anything! It's better to try and fail than camp and...fail.

agreed. the best players are constantly moving dealing death as they tear it up through the map. it annoyed me so much as they dont know where the spawn points are or how to attack them!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
agreed. the best players are constantly moving dealing death as they tear it up through the map. it annoyed me so much as they dont know where the spawn points are or how to attack them!

Even then I can deal with an awful player who is trying their best more than these guys. I've seen players who are simply awful: die all the time, cannot tackle anything except grunts, fail at their class, etc. But they'll still stick with the team, try for objectives, and revive fallen squadmates. They know the important stuff, even if they're not good at it, and are trying their best. Effort and intention counts.

Those other players just seem like they're riding off the rest of the team. Won't heal. Won't stick with the squad. Won't complete objectives. Just all round shitty, anti-social players who are in the end a dead weight.

Looking into this pack thing more, 4 recruit packs costs the same as 1 veteran pack, but gives you 20 items rather then just 5. For a starting player that seems like the much better value.

Woorloog

Banned
Looking into this pack thing more, 4 recruit packs costs the same as 1 veteran pack, but gives you 20 items rather then just 5. For a starting player that seems like the much better value.

How many items does a Spectre pack give? It costs 3 times Veteran pack's cost.

Overall which pack has best price to amount of items ratio?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How many items does a Spectre pack give? It costs 3 times Veteran pack's cost.

Overall which pack has best price to amount of items ratio?

Vet packs til you get your weight up.

Putting all that time time into getting one spec pack when you're just starting out just doesn't do anything towards tackling the curve.

Ronabo

It's pretty simple.

Buy Recruit packs and the occasional Veteran pack to max out your commons while building your consumables. Then you'll be able to play silver easily. Then once you have most of the uncommon maxed you can move to gold.

Otherwise you're a liability on my team if you won't be using equipment and I have to constantly revive you.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It's pretty simple.

Buy Reserve packs and the occasional Veteran pack to max out your commons while building your consumables. Then you'll be able to play silver easily. Then once you have most of the uncommon maxed you can move to gold.

Otherwise you're a liability on my team if you won't be using equipment and I have to constantly revive you.

Reserve packs cost a LOT man.

Players fresh out the gate won't even know what to do with the brand new characters (most of the new ones lean towards the more skilled playstyles anyways) and they'll still be rocking predator Is too. They have to play a LOT of barebones games just to get one reserve pack.

Its not worth it. At least tell people to think about maxing out a Mantis and learning the game on that level first.

Only had time for one game so I just used my AIU on Collectors in Silver. Got the Valkyrie IV with my Gift Pack.

Bought a few Vet packs and got the missile capacity increase in one of them. :D

Ronabo

Reserve packs cost a LOT man.

Players fresh out the gate won't even know what to do with the brand new characters (most of the new ones lean towards the more skilled playstyles anyways) and they'll still be rocking predator Is too. They have to play a LOT of barebones games just to get one reserve pack.

Its not worth it. At least tell people to think about maxing out a Mantis and learning the game on that level first.

Derp, I meant Recruit packs. :)

I was on a tablet at the hospital. Running on 4 hours sleep.

ok just did a few rounds with sai. that cerberus glacier on gold was hardcore. 6 atlases on wave 5? felt like platinum.

finally got the commendation pack. valkyrie 2 and crusader iv. bleh.

collector on gold wasnt fun but we got it done.

3 games later I'm level 8.

Went with infiltrator at the end.

It's good multiplayer.

Infiltrators are really fun to play as they are just weapon dependent. Once you get a good high level weapon you will fuck shit up with the right infiltrator.

Did they ever release a breakdown of this weeks balance changes?

Chocobro

Infiltrators are really fun to play as they are just weapon dependent. Once you get a good high level weapon you will fuck shit up with the right infiltrator.

At the moment,no. Mindlog's post was based on Eric's post in the BSN forum regarding balance changes.

Balance changes are every other week now, so nothing changed this week. Next Tuesday actual changes will be posted.

I reckon itll be AIU nerfed to all hell then the katana gets a buff because no one uses it.

Well we've got a confirmed Repair Matrix nerf, a buff to the Spitfire and Talon Merc, and a smattering of changes to other guns/powers. Honestly, the AIU isn't that great to me anyway, if I want a 'sure thing' extraction, I'm still going for the Ghost every time.

Top Bottom