• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

exYle

There's so much content in that video. My favorite gems are the Turian complaining that he wished he could roll like a Marauder, and the Infiltrator bitching about the poor camping spot on FBW (it's pretty true)

Nori Chan

There's so much content in that video. My favorite gems are the Turian complaining that he wished he could roll like a Marauder, and the Infiltrator bitching about the poor camping spot on FBW (it's pretty true)
I thought she was talking about Dagger...it whichever the big desert one is

exYle

I thought she was talking about Dagger...it whichever the big desert one is

I think they're talking about FB White. If we presume that she's telling just one comprehensive story of one mission, the she mentions at first that she was deployed to Noveria.

Woorloog

Banned
The acolyte is extremely good at stripping shields, even on bosses, only the Reegar is better. If you're using a class without a shield stripping power (typically a biotic) the ability to do so instantly and reliably is super valuable. If that's all it did, it would be okay; but it also has a great stagger on it, so now you have an enemy without shields and unable to shoot you, allowing you time to set up your combos, leave, whatever. It does all this while being the lightest gun in the game (tied for it). And you can fire it while running. And it's not that hard to aim, easier than the other guns you mentioned, in my opinion.

It's not a gun for every class, but it is a lightweight, reliable way to patch up the shortcomings of many kits.

^yeah, and you can put a power amp on it now! So good!

Okay, i can see it being useful to strip shields from an Atlas or some other big boss who are easy to hit. But normal-sized enemies? Yeah, nope. Especially if there's even a bit of lag...
Biotic explosions strip shields at acceptable speed though, IMO. Especially if your team mates are also shooting the same target. Besides, a proper team (not PUG) will have someone with anti-shield power.
I dispute that "reliably and instantly" due to charging and slow projectile.

And i can, of course, always keep killing other enemies and let my team deal with bosses. Majority of work and points to me...
BTW, do points equal to XP? Or is XP based on how far the team got in the mission, not kills?

My understanding is that you only derive benefit from the mod on the weapon you have active, so they wouldn't stack, and you also lose the bonus if you holster the weapon.

Indeed. And the power mod is based on the base power damage only. IIRC.

deafmedal

BTW, do points equal to XP? Or is XP based on how far the team got in the mission, not kills?
Yes, points equal XP, plus you get extra for medals, doing objectives, and finishing wave 10. You can milk objective waves for extra points but that can be deadly at higher levels. People who push their score ever higher do so by taking out mooks, if a gold cannibal gives you ~900 points and is worth 20 points on the wave budget, killing 4 cannibals is worth more than one brute (~2000 points, 80 points on wave budget). Personally I prefer to drain wave budgets as quick as possible so I like focusing on bosses, taking out mooks as needed.

Best way to drive score up is to get kill streaks on objective waves... they just keep coming :) I try and not kill anything on objective waves unless enemies stand between me and mah muthafuckin money. Asari strippers ain't cheap.

Okay, i can see it being useful to strip shields from an Atlas or some other big boss who are easy to hit. But normal-sized enemies? Yeah, nope. Especially if there's even a bit of lag...
Biotic explosions strip shields at acceptable speed though, IMO. Especially if your team mates are also shooting the same target. Besides, a proper team (not PUG) will have someone with anti-shield power.

And i can, of course, always keep killing other enemies and let my team deal with bosses. Majority of work and points to me...

The acolyte is amazing at stripping shields. I also like that you can bounce it around corners to hit enemies. You can charge it up and then run around while holding the charge. It also stuns which is crazy helpful. Shoot an enemy, it strips their shields and they are stunned so I can start burning them without fear of them attacking back, and then the fire also stuns them. Enemies from Phantoms on down can be killed with no threat of attack with this pairing.

I should've known better than to hit ready in a Platinum lobby when no one else had equipped consumables. Wiped in Wave 2.

In another game, we were wiping in Wave 6 without the objective when the hosting player left. Because of that, the wave restarted and I could use all my gels/rockets again. It was the same objective but we finished it this time and wiped in the next wave (the 4th guy who joined was clearly unprepared for Platinum). I suppose if you were doing Platinum with some friends you could coordinate it so that the host would leave before wiping and then re-invite him back.

I guess my experience is just very different from yours as far as the difficulty of hitting enemies goes. It takes a bit of getting used to, but at this point I very rarely have difficulty hitting targets regardless of size--the easiest example of that is the gun's well earned reputation for demolishing phantoms. Again, the shield stripping is only half the story, its guaranteed stagger (yes, granted that you hit the target) is very useful as well. It's also extremely reliable at applying ammo effects. If you can't make it work, fair enough, but I really think it's more about an initial adjustment to the rhythm of using it than any substantial lag related issues.

Also, biotic explosions take a bit of time to set up, you're firing the acolyte in between cooldowns, or as you start a combo by releasing the trigger on a shot you've already charged, so it in no way diminishes the efficiency of power usage.

It's my gun of choice on the Drell Adept in particular, along with a Collector SMG for chewing up armored targets. In conclusion, I love the Drell Adept. And the Acolyte.

Edit: Leave enemies for my team to kill!? NEVER

Mindlog

Yeah, Drell Adept and Acolyte are best friends. The Geth Trooper loves it as well. With a Trooper and Cryo Ammo I can reliably use the Acolyte to freeze Guardians head-on.

I'm going to toy with using the BPP as my anti-armor SMG instead of the CSMG. The BPP can carry HVB and Power Amp without much bother.

That's a lot of acronyms.
Edit: Leave enemies for my team to kill!? NEVER
*Edit: I like that edit.

Woorloog

Banned
Also, biotic explosions take a bit of time to set up, you're firing the acolyte in between cooldowns, or as you start a combo by releasing the trigger on a shot you've already charged, so it in no way diminishes the efficiency of power usage.
Alternating Warp with 2.40 or so cooldwon, Throw with 1.10 cooldown or so (with Human Sentinel, no Tech armor). Don't have time to charge anything, time beetween CDs is spent in cover or otherwise avoiding enemies :p
The Acolyte doesn't charge quite in time, though i suppose i could pre-charge it and keep it charged. But that means once in a battle use. Not that i need to do that again, if i hit. Big if.
Oblivionmancer great point about the acolyte and ammo effects. slap some cryo rounds on it and you can freeze most any non boss.

Well, that sure does sound useful. Unfortunately i'm a hoarder and i detest using equipment unless i really, really have to. But i can learn away from this, i swear.
I have enough for... i don't know, 50 games at least... That is, level 3 ammos. Others too.

This reminds me, gotta try Falcon with Cryos, or Striker with Cryos.

You actually dont even need to fully charge the acolyte. With my GT I usually will just half charge it if a mob of shielded enemies is coming at me.

Alternating Warp with 2.40 or so cooldwon, Throw with 1.10 cooldown or so (with Human Sentinel, no Tech armor). Don't have time to charge anything, time beetween CDs is spent in cover or otherwise avoiding enemies :p
The Acolyte doesn't charge quite in time, though i suppose i could pre-charge it and keep it charged. But that means once in a battle use. Not that i need to do that again, if i hit. Big if.

Well, that sure does sound useful. Unfortunately i'm a hoarder and i detest using equipment unless i really, really have to. But i can learn away from this, i swear.
I have enough for... i don't know, 50 games at least... That is, level 3 ammos. Others too.

This reminds me, gotta try Falcon with Cryos, or Striker with Cryos.

The acolyte takes 1 second to charge, and isn't interrupted by using powers, though you'll obviously have trouble using whatever power is mapped to RB (assuming you play on console, if on PC, you're free and clear).

Also, use your equipment, that's what its for!

Anyway, I think I've made the acolyte's case as best I can. If it's not the gun for you, it's not the gun for you.

X-Frame

I used to horde equipment too until I realized just how much I had. Now I slap on Level III equipment on all Gold games and Level IV on Platinum and it's insane how much of a difference it makes.

Equipment is there to be used, to increase the chances of extracting so you can get more credits to unlock more stuff. If there was a selling back feature then I'd understand hording, but there isn't. Just be careful which PUG's you decide to ready-up with and it'll reduce the chances of getting wiped early and you'll rarely, if ever, "waste" equipment.

Sai

Mindlog with dat Lancer X.[/jealous]

Thought I was going to scare you off through boredom with that Silver match I invited you to. I always start out that way with no consumables as a warm-up. XD

Mindlog

Great games, Sai.
The first game was really weird. My DA had no Grenade Gear and for some reason the spawns were all off :p Second I tried the Talon GI for first time in ages. I want to abuse my Cobras on Glacier. Third my poor Krogan took a sword in the belly.

I'm going to try to get a few games in on, Sunday.

Oh yeah and that third game. Carnage blowing up snap freeze worked out pretty well when we did it. It gives me an idea. AIU + Human Soldier specced for Concussion Shot chill damage (I have one) might be even better than a Biotic Duo.

Sill4

I finally unlocked the Geth Trooper and immediately specced him for ultimate flame damage. Took him into Gold with dreams of setting the galaxy on fire.

I scored the lowest and was downed multiple times each wave.

Gethy Fail.

I finally unlocked the Geth Trooper and immediately specced him for ultimate flame damage. Took him into Gold with dreams of setting the galaxy on fire.

Gethy Fail.

Gotta use that right hand advantage
and of course, an acolyte

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Got my geth jugg to 20. Pretty fun toon, gotta say. Obliterates bronze and works for silver.

Any gaffers doing silver, preferably euro time?

Gethy Fail.

Search youtube for geth trooper solo platinum.

Gethy Fail.

The thing with the Geth Trooper is that with Fortification and shields he's a beast, but when the shields go down he has like no health and is almost immediately downed.

Gethy Fail.

Others here have said it already, but Acolyte.

And tried the AIU with the Harrier on Gold, she's just unfair. Snap Freeze and Incindary Ammo, with 1 Engineer with chain overload = Fire/Cryo/Explosion everywhere.

Gethy Fail.

I spec my geth trooper different to most people. no hunter mode. max shields. flamer for range etc. then use a scorpion x with extra ammo and heavy pistol barrell mods. pistol amp v with explosive rounds.

I usually top the boards with this. shoot mines on the floor around you or at the feet of phantoms or dragoons which staggers, then use the flame to clean them its my top class besides the AIU

exYle

I don't fucking get the RNG. Are we sure the AIU isn't actually ultra rare? I'm closer to completely unlocking the Collector than I am even starting to get the sexbot. Cmon!

I went back to beat some challenges I had mostly done but never finished. Paladin is pretty awesome. I've grown really attached to the Collector SMG too, really good. That 30% power bonus helps.

15 premium spectre packs bought with no URs. Longest drought I've ever had

Mindlog

Yeah I worked out that I was joining gold games.

This seems pretty fun, I had a much better time playing the mutiplayer than when I was playing the single player.
XBOX?

If we can get a few together tomorrow it would be fun to take a level 1 through the Platinum matches :]

i got the lancer in the SP DLC. nice gun. too many URs still remaining....

how is the executioner pistol x compared to a carnifex x or paladin?

XBOX?

If we can get a few together tomorrow it would be fun to take a level 1 through the Platinum matches :]

id like to join you guys for some platinum runs. ive just started playing on platinum. im not great but I can hold my own. played a few plat games with sai and we extracted each time so if ur on xbox add me. "IAMBLEST"

Xanathus

i got the lancer in the SP DLC. nice gun. too many URs still remaining....

how is the executioner pistol x compared to a carnifex x or paladin?

Executioner is great, basically a Widow in pistol form. I hear that it's possible to get it to 2 shots using the N7 Destroyer plus all magazine upgrade mod plus barrage gear, need to try that when I'm grinding that weapon challenge.

Is the Suppressor as bad as I think it is?

Worst weapon in the game. I tried it out with a Cabal Vanguard. Worst weapon + worst character combo ever.

Its ok in the new DLC as it serves a purpose, but why do you need a low powered stealth pistol in multiplayer - you cant really hide!

Top Bottom