• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Sai

Lol. A good party is usually all it takes to get over that fear of Gold. Once you get more comfortable with it, level up your favorite weapons, and learn how to exploit the spawn points on maps, you can go solo.

Nice playing with you both. Hope we can shoot for some speed runs on Glacier/Platinum next time.

Still no AIU. I got the Collector but I can't get this damn bitch

You and me both. Since getting the DLC I've gotten all of the characters besides her including the Collector 3 times, got the Venom Shotgun, and leveled my Harrier to VI and my Talon to VIII, all of which were from Reserves packs. But no sexbot. Apparently Reserves packs are really good for getting Ultra Rares and gear.

Toa TAK

Banned
Lol. A good party is usually all it takes to get over that fear of Gold. Once you get more comfortable with it, level up your favorite weapons, and learn how to exploit the spawn points on maps, you can go solo.

Nice playing with you both. Hope we can shoot for some speed runs on Glacier/Platinum next time.

Platinum is still scary. I have never attempted it.

yeah man theres no reason for you to play silver again. you held your own on gold. just upgrade ypur gold weapons and keep playing with decent players and u will be able to keep getting better.

get that claymore to x and youll double your scores.

Yup, I guess there really is no going back. Thanks guys!

Still no AIU. I got the Collector but I can't get this damn bitch
Opposite problem. I want that Collector so bad.

exYle

You and me both. Since getting the DLC I've gotten all of the characters besides her including the Collector 3 times, got the Venom Shotgun, and leveled my Harrier to VI and my Talon to VIII, all of which were from Reserves packs. But no sexbot. Apparently Reserves packs are really good for getting Ultra Rares and gear.

Harrier 6 and Talon 8

Fuck man

Sai

Unlocked the Spitfire, finally. Thing just keeps on firing forever!... :D

And got the Venom and Black Widow up to II and VI respectively.

EekTheKat

At the risk of stating the obvious, Geth Scanner is godly on plat. Between that and using run speed consumables it's really hard to die on plat since everything is so slow.

X-Frame

I want a Lancer so bad!

Seeing it in videos, it sounds so cool and beefy and unlimited ammo and larger clip size, it'll replace the Harrier for me absolutely.

Woorloog

Banned
I had one of the worst matches ever (randoms, on Silver, Hydra, Collectors):
I'm playing with Quarian Marksman, a class i don't like but i'm trying out Marksman-Idra combo. At least i know how the play the class...
My team: Juggernaut, Geth... Engineer or Trooper and a Paladin.
The Juggernaut doesn't use his Shield, Turret nor does he use Heavy Melee to drain health from enemies.
The other Geth is just plain bad, dying constantly. I don't know his class since all he did was to use Hunter Mode. And die.
And the Paladin, he goes to melee, very ineffectively, has Energy Drain but no Snap Freeze, which is arguably the Paladin's best power.
They waste Medi-Gel on non-Objective waves. The Juggernaut used a Medi-gel when there was one enemy left and he didn't bother waiting for the other guy left standing to rez him.
They waste Missiles... on such things as singular Abominations.
We died on Wave 8, which shouldn't have been that bat (2 Scions, 1 Praetorian) if they hadn't wasted Missiles earlier (and if i had lived, died early, didn't use Medi-gel because i can't afford to waste them on non-Objective waves (have 3 left), they didn't rez me). We had two scions left as enemies but the Juggernaut and Paladin are morons and go to some corner without cover, and waste medi-gel rezzing each other... had either one of run to cover on the other side map, he could've slowly killed the scions...

I want a Lancer so bad!

Seeing it in videos, it sounds so cool and beefy and unlimited ammo and larger clip size, it'll replace the Harrier for me absolutely.

Harrier is stronger and more accurate, simply put better. At least if weight isn't an issue... and if it is, you're better off using pistols or SMGs anyway.

Mindlog

I want a Lancer so bad!

The Harrier does more damage, but the Lancer is a really well rounded weapon. That sound doesn't hurt either :D

Got called on to play a round of melee EDI. Old weapon that works really well: Geth Plasma Shotgun. It only needs a barrel so throwing on an omni-blade is no big deal. Fun build. Probably made the Krogan Warlord feel sad with how quickly I racked up 50 kills. Then again for some reason most Warlords love getting sync-killed.

I had one of the worst matches ever (randoms, on Silver, Hydra, Collectors):
I'm playing with Quarian Marksman, a class i don't like but i'm trying out Marksman-Idra combo. At least i know how the play the class...
My team: Juggernaut, Geth... Engineer or Trooper and a Paladin.
The Juggernaut doesn't use his Shield, Turret nor does he use Heavy Melee to drain health from enemies.
The other Geth is just plain bad, dying constantly. I don't know his class since all he did was to use Hunter Mode. And die.
And the Paladin, he goes to melee, very ineffectively, has Energy Drain but no Snap Freeze, which is arguably the Paladin's best power.
They waste Medi-Gel on non-Objective waves. The Juggernaut used a Medi-gel when there was one enemy left and he didn't bother waiting for the other guy left standing to rez him.
They waste Missiles... on such things as singular Abominations.
We died on Wave 8, which shouldn't have been that bat (2 Scions, 1 Praetorian) if they hadn't wasted Missiles earlier (and if i had lived, died early, didn't use Medi-gel because i can't afford to waste them on non-Objective waves (have 3 left), they didn't rez me). We had two scions left as enemies but the Juggernaut and Paladin are morons and go to some corner without cover, and waste medi-gel rezzing each other... had either one of run to cover on the other side map, he could've slowly killed the scions...

Harrier is stronger and more accurate, simply put better. At least if weight isn't an issue... and if it is, you're better off using pistols or SMGs anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I got mixed up with some horrible randy's, too. Wasted way too many medigels on saving their asses, and now I only have 10 left.

Didn't help that I promoted most of my classes and occasionnally had a terrible build out for testing. If it was too bad I just quit out, rather than having the team waste time carrying me.

Woorloog

Banned
Turian Ghost Infiltrator is kinda fun, with melee build. Phaeston for fire support. Not sure if the most effective build though.
Also, i'm a horrible sniper. Using Valiant, i hit maybe 1/3 of shots, on chest... Should use one-shot sniper, aim carefully.

I've noticed i have an odd tendency to play classes closest to Level 20, and then promote them when i hit that, and then switch to another as high-level-as-possible. Don't have a class i'd stick by... I blame that on not having any of those unlocked. Well, maybe Turian Saboteur but gotta try it first. Like its skills though.

X-Frame

Weight wouldn't be an issue, but it is obviously a plus that it weighs less than the Harrier, but the simple fact that I never need to run to an ammo box and leave the fight like I so often have to do with the Harrier. So while it does less damage per bullet, I should be able to do more overall damage.

The Harrier does more damage, but the Lancer is a really well rounded weapon. That sound doesn't hurt either :D

I know, I am watching videos and it sounds awesome. :)

So far iv had

Juggenaut
Collector
Batarian Gauntlet
Assault Rifle Omni Blade
Lancer
Batarian Solider

Out of maybe 7 Reserve Packs.

Cant get a feel for the Collector, Lancer Seems great. Batarian Gauntlet is fun stuff. Have no tried the Omni blade and the Juggenaut is pretty OP.

Chocobro

So the last two nights I decided to go do some challenges for banners on Geth Silver. The Volus Engineer with the Scorpion is pretty fun against them. Stun-lock the Geth units + PM + RM explosion = everything around dies. Surprisingly I was able to get first place most of the time lol.

Then I decided to switch to the QMI with the CSR to get the CSR challenges done to finally unlock the Retaliation Banner. Got into a game with a the group of relatively new players. Felt kinda bad for killing almost everything; I let them fight the Primes while I watched their flanks. I got a lot of revives in that game :D

Thought about going for the Rebel banner so I switched to the Krysae SR and it feels kinda weak for a SR that shoots a rocket :\ Too bad I didn't have it back in the pre-nerf days.

Last two Reserve Packs gave me L4 ammo and armor stuff :\ Should I just stick with RPs since all I care about is getting the URs? Or should I consider maxing out the other stuff? My Manifest. Feel free to add me to play some Gold games btw.

exYle

Talon merc is so godlike OMG.

His trip mines are so OP

I love his mines, I just have problems with finding the right angle to set them up. A lot of times I find that if I set them up where I assume enemies will be, they won't get detonated for a while (if at all). So I try to set them where I see enemies advancing, but finding the angle to place the mines usually results in exposing myself to fire, which isn't a great idea.

I kind of wish he was an Infiltrator.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Talon merc is so godlike OMG.

His trip mines are so OP

Yeah, too bad i don't like his arrows much. So, using him only for the mines kinda seems pointless.

By the way, i've got some weird issue on PC where the menu sound/music is very very low, but it works ok during games. I don't get it...it was just fine a few weeks ago.

So the last two nights I decided to go do some challenges for banners on Geth Silver. The Volus Engineer with the Scorpion is pretty fun against them. Stun-lock the Geth units + PM + RM explosion = everything around dies. Surprisingly I was able to get first place most of the time lol.

Then I decided to switch to the QMI with the CSR to get the CSR challenges done to finally unlock the Retaliation Banner. Got into a game with a the group of relatively new players. Felt kinda bad for killing almost everything; I let them fight the Primes while I watched their flanks. I got a lot of revives in that game :D

Thought about going for the Rebel banner so I switched to the Krysae SR and it feels kinda weak for a SR that shoots a rocket :\ Too bad I didn't have it back in the pre-nerf days.

Last two Reserve Packs gave me L4 ammo and armor stuff :\ Should I just stick with RPs since all I care about is getting the URs? Or should I consider maxing out the other stuff? My Manifest. Feel free to add me to play some Gold games btw.

I played a few games tonight on silver and gold and noticed quite a few new players. Anyone else seeing more new players than usual?

Sai

oh you ass. is the spitfire viable on level 1? still dont have it...
I don't think so. Tried it on both Silver and Gold, and even in the former, I found myself too busy puttin' up Hex Shields and heavy melee'n once that new scent wore off, and things started getting rough in the later rounds.

I think it does respectable damage even considering it's stupid huge clip, but the accuracy is so terrible... I could only consistently hit larger targets at mid-range. If they get any closer, it's better to start relying on the Juggernaut's heavy melee and Siege Pulse.

I kind of want to try it out with the Destroyer...

I had a really annoying glitch yesterday. I played as an AIU and many times I would get downed with repair matrix active, and yet I wouldnt get up. It was driving me nuts to keep having to get revived.

Sai

I had a really annoying glitch yesterday. I played as an AIU and many times I would get downed with repair matrix active, and yet I wouldnt get up. It was driving me nuts to keep having to get revived.
You have to wait a few moments for Repair Matrix's auto-revive to kick in. Won't always work if you start it up when you're in the middle of a firefight with one bar of health left.

If you're already aware of that, and have been activating it well in advance, please disregard this post. :p

Woorloog

Banned
I don't have the Spitfire but i have a feeling it is not that good weapon for the Juggernaut.
But N7 Destroyer, Turians due to their racial bonuses, Geths with Hunter Mode, or someone with Marksman...
Geth SMG works well with any of those, especially with Magazine V and Heat Sink V (gives one some 250 shots).
EDIT Well, Juggernaut has some things that make the Spitfire a fitting weapon for it BUT the Juggernaut's role prevents from him firing for a long time at once.

happened to me a few times. had it properly activated and died a few times with the HUD on and everything.

Bisnic

The Collector character is a bit confusing with cooldowns. His Sphere and Swarm abilities never appears to be on cooldown on my power bar, even when they are. So I have to look at my Dark Channel cooldown to know when to use them. =/

Also, is it just me or his Ascension buff doesn't alway visually show on him? I never know if its active or not since I do not always have that green glow when i hold down the melee button...

Did they fix the N7 Shadow bug that made it impossible to use her power on Atlas with the DLC?

Chocobro

Also, is it just me or his Ascension buff doesn't alway visually show on him? I never know if its active or not since I do not always have that green glow when i hold down the melee button...

Did they fix the N7 Shadow bug that made it impossible to use her power on Atlas with the DLC?

That's weird. From the xCal video I watched, the green glow and visual buff always appeared. You'll have some green lines for the length of the buff, 20s or something like that. (I'm hesitant to say it's just you.)

And I don't think they fixed the N7 Shadow bug.

Harlock

The Juggenaut looks cool until you play and see how it is slow.

Sad this is the last update in ME3 multiplayer. It is such good and well craft experience that get a lot of unfair bad talk because Mass Effect 3.

Woorloog

Banned
The Juggenaut looks cool until you play and see how it is slow.

Sad this is the last update in ME3 multiplayer. It is such good and well craft experience that get a lot of unfair bad talk because Mass Effect 3.

Slowness is non-issue. The thing can outlast a nuke.
It is a boss tank, and team shielder/medic, and it does its job well if people know how to play it.

X-Frame

I respecced my Awakened Collector to go for full weapons damage and maximum radius explosion for Dark Sphere to prime as many enemies as possible so that I can use Warp Ammo to tear them down with my CSMG. Also, I'm testing full Ascension Stance to see if it's worth it.

After this, I'll try a full power build because he gets 65% power damage not even including Ascension Stance power bonuses and maximum damage for Dark Channel & Dark Sphere.

So many ways to spec him!

Slowness is non-issue. The thing can outlast a nuke.
It is a boss tank, and team shielder/medic, and it does its job well if people know how to play it.
yup.

Ultimate support character. I love it. Also, the Spitfire's way too heavy for what I want to do with my juggernaut. I want a quick cooldown so I can use siege pulse to stagger shit.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Collector character is a bit confusing with cooldowns. His Sphere and Swarm abilities never appears to be on cooldown on my power bar, even when they are. So I have to look at my Dark Channel cooldown to know when to use them. =/

Dark Sphere doesn't have a cooldown unless you detonate it, and Swarms only have a cooldown after you've thrown all three (or four if you chose the evolution for it).

Bisnic

Dark Sphere doesn't have a cooldown unless you detonate it, and Swarms only have a cooldown after you've thrown all three (or four if you chose the evolution for it).

Even when i detonate it, it never actually shows that it's on cooldown. I always have to look at my Dark Channel power to know when to use it.

Tsukumo

that's lag. Same thing happens when you set bio/tech explosions but they don't deal any damage at all (you can tell that by the missing sound effect).

Turian Ghost Infiltrator is kinda fun, with melee build. Phaeston for fire support. Not sure if the most effective build though.
Also, i'm a horrible sniper. Using Valiant, i hit maybe 1/3 of shots, on chest... Should use one-shot sniper, aim carefully.

The game has auto-aim assist, which means that if you pop shot you'll always get headshots. To pop shot means hitting the aim button and then the fire button almost at the same time, so that the aim will fix on your target's head and the shot will land without too much work.
Another way is to hit tactical cloak, spam a power (which, again, will auto-aim to the target's head) and shoot immediately after that.
If you look at speed-runs with infiltrators, they all do this. Once you learn to do that you can apply this "tactic" to almost any class. Like sniping with Turian Soldier using a claymore.

I've noticed i have an odd tendency to play classes closest to Level 20, and then promote them when i hit that, and then switch to another as high-level-as-possible. Don't have a class i'd stick by... I blame that on not having any of those unlocked. Well, maybe Turian Saboteur but gotta try it first. Like its skills though.

I would stick to reserves pack for a while. Get a volus class, jump on gold, spam shield boost, everyone's happy. You'll rack up credits in no time.

EekTheKat

Geth Scanner is mandatory for me now on any pug Plat games. My own survival capabilities went up like 1000% after I started using it on my Infiltrators.

Runspeed Consumable is now my preferred one over shields. When you can see a flock of slow moving bosses converging on your position, being able to outrun them to the other side of the map and setting up shop again is invaluable.

Geth Scanner + Recon mine and knowledge of the map is priceless over a few extra DPS that some of the other gear offers. Pair that with a Javelin X with Drill Rounds and it's literally a turkey shoot.

Woorloog

Banned
The game has auto-aim assist, which means that if you pop shot you'll always get headshots. To pop shot means hitting the aim button and then the fire button almost at the same time, so that the aim will fix on your target's head and the shot will land without too much work.
Another way is to hit tactical cloak, spam a power (which, again, will auto-aim to the target's head) and shoot immediately after that.
If you look at speed-runs with infiltrators, they all do this. Once you learn to do that you can apply this "tactic" to almost any class. Like sniping with Turian Soldier using a claymore.
I know how the aiming works. I still don't hit.
Of course it doesn't really bother me, i don't even like sniping. Unfortunately i don't like other weapons really either.
One reason i don't like weapons is that they sound too weak. Gimme the Phalanx from Mass Effect 2 and i'm happy, that thing felt and was powerful and precise, and fast. ME3 version sucks.
EDIT i'm more of a power class player. That is, Adept or Engineer. Haven't liked Sentinels since their Assault Armor from ME2 was removed for 3. Vanguards are just no-no. Infiltrator is meh in general, other than N7 Shadow or TGI melee build.
Or ME2 Mattock. Also a beast and a fun weapon. And ruined in 3. Hell, same applies to Avenger, Revenant, Tempest...
I would stick to reserves pack for a while. Get a volus class, jump on gold, spam shield boost, everyone's happy. You'll rack up credits in no time.
I'm buying reserves packs constantly. Getting crap. I buy something else, i get crap. Like Volus. Not touching them. I'm not made to be a medic or support character like it is (not opposed to being support, just need to be very specific type).
N7 Shadow would be fun. TGI with melee build is kinda fun but doesn't have a sword. Or Batarian Adept. Or most of all, Collector Adept.

Bisnic

Just played the Krogan Warlord for the first time.

I think i'm in love. Dat Godlike Hammer. Still not sure what's the best way to spec him... lvled Tech Armor up until the melee bonus. Maxed Biotic Hammer for maximum damage and force, put Electric Hammer to rank 4 for bigger impact, took all the power damage bonus from the Warlord tree up to rank 5, and maxed Fitness with a mix of melee damage and extra health/shield for the last rank. And took the lightest shotgun i have(in my case Disciple X) for the shortest cooldowns on the Hammer powers and equipped with the Shotgun Omni-Blade V. I barely use my weapons anyway. Oh yeah, and the Juggernaut Shield gear.

Sai

I don't understand why randoms keep bringing the Warlord into Platinum matches. They get sync-killed every-dang-round.

Did find some good ones eventually that kept my Ghost+Harrier company on Glacier/Cerberus/Platinum tonight. Y'all know I love using the Saber with this guy, but the Harrier just melts bosses down... Anyways, unlocked the Bloodpack Punisher, Black Widow VII, Sniper Ultralight Materials V, Pistol/SMG Power Magnifier IV.

Wish my ME Multiplayer sessions were always this productive. :p

I don't understand why randoms keep bringing the Warlord into Platinum matches. They get sync-killed every-dang-round.

Did find some good ones eventually that kept my Ghost+Harrier company on Glacier/Cerberus/Platinum tonight. Y'all know I love using the Saber with this guy, but the Harrier just melts bosses down... Anyways, unlocked the Bloodpack Punisher, Black Widow VII, Sniper Ultralight Materials V, Pistol/SMG Power Magnifier IV.

every time I lined up a black widow shot with my geth juggalo id see a bullet trail from across the map indicating sai had decapitated another cerberus with his sabre.

wasted so many dn bullets! ordinarily I wouldnt mind but every trip to the ammo box takes half a damn round! lol

I usually quit out of the lobby now when I see a warlord even on gold. They just always die at the start of the round and leave the rest of us shorthanded. You would think be would catch on when the 3rd place person has over double their score.

Bisnic

I usually quit out of the lobby now when I see a warlord even on gold. They just always die at the start of the round and leave the rest of us shorthanded. You would think be would catch on when the 3rd place person has over double their score.

Come on, Warlord isn't so bad on Gold.
As long as it is only against Geths, since they have no sync-killed abilities.

Come on, Warlord isn't so bad on Gold.
As long as it is only against Geths, since they have no sync-killed abilities.

I will have to try him against the geth. I had been playing reapers exclusively since I still needed husk kills for the death guard banner, but I finally got it so now it will be on to geth.

Sai

every time I lined up a black widow shot with my geth juggalo id see a bullet trail from across the map indicating sai had decapitated another cerberus with his sabre.

wasted so many dn bullets! ordinarily I wouldnt mind but every trip to the ammo box takes half a damn round! lol
Lol! My bad, chief. :p

Harlock

Dark Channel and Annihilation Fiel are shit powers. The damage rate you do is too low in comparison with projected powers that you can hit enemies multiple times.

Sai

They are supposed to be used to prime a chain of biotic explosions.

Throw Dark Channel into a large group, detonate it with Throw, and it passes along to another close-by enemy for the effect to be detonated again—lasts until either it's duration ends, or there are no more enemies close enough for it to pass on over to.

In addition, you can rush into the groups currently being jacked up by Dark Channel with Annihilation Field active, and start setting off more biotic explosions.

Spec Throw for radius and cooldown reset for best results.

Woorloog

Banned
Biotics are pointless other than for Biosplosions, those deal so much more damage than any single biotic can.
Well, maybe there are a couple of exceptions, like Lash which kills singular enemies well if used correctly.

Top Bottom