• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Biotics are pointless other than for Biosplosions, those deal so much more damage than any single biotic can.
Well, maybe there are a couple of exceptions, like Lash which kills singular enemies well if used correctly.

Lash is my favorite power in this game, it's so fun to pull unarmored enemies all over the place, especially those damn Phantoms. It can be pretty useful in higher difficulties. Sure it doesn't do a lot of damage, but incapaciting a couple of enemies one after the other is nice.

Harlock

The Poison Strike is a joke. You will be killed before any relevant effect from the venom. But the Nightshade Blades are powerful and the last Biotic Focus upgrade give shields and 0,5s immunity. In other words, is good, but not to a Vanguard class style of play.

Harlock

They are supposed to be used to prime a chain of biotic explosions.

Throw Dark Channel into a large group, detonate it with Throw, and it passes along to another close-by enemy for the effect to be detonated again—lasts until either it's duration ends, or there are no more enemies close enough for it to pass on over to.

In addition, you can rush into the groups currently being jacked up by Dark Channel with Annihilation Field active, and start setting off more biotic explosions.

Spec Throw for radius and cooldown reset for best results.

I understand. But in the real world I play the PS3 version, without headset and with shit players most of time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm working on the Fem Turian right now... Poison Strike isn't a go-to skill like Charge at all but it does give some damned good mobility and gets your ass out the fire like nothing else on the tier6 double-dash ability. Combine that with the fact that you can teleport through walls with your normal dodge/roll and you're the space ninja that the N7 Slayer wishes it was. Its a damned good melee attacker, not quite as good as the sword inf, but still good. You have to make significant adjustments to typical playstyle and remember that your survivability rides in the balance between biotic focus and strike/dashing out before your ass is melted.

I'm sure PS will get a buff in the meantime. Same with the Omni-bow (and the mine is getting nerfed to shit. That thing is a nuke)
I understand. But in the real world I play the PS3 version, without headset and with shit players most of time.

Annihilation Field is pretty high up on the ranking list of biotic powers.

Its not purely about how much damage it does by itself, but how much potential damage it creates and the fact that it ups survivability as well with its close-range shield drain. The Asari Valk for example can trigger and prime every single explosion in the game by itself - that's ridiculous. You don't need to coordinate anything over a mic if you use her. Hell, even if you can't communicate with your team at all you or they can pick up on what attacks are being used and you can adapt accordingly.

Typically, only Vanguards rely on teammates to get their explosions going. The Fury and Valk don't have these issues at all.

Woorloog

Banned
Lash is my favorite power in this game, it's so fun to pull unarmored enemies all over the place, especially those damn Phantoms. It can be pretty useful in higher difficulties. Sure it doesn't do a lot of damage, but incapaciting a couple of enemies one after the other is nice.

Use Lash throw enemies out of map boundaries, it kills always that way...
Its it is a force power, not damage power :)

I'm working on the Fem Turian right now... Poison Strike isn't a go-to skill like Charge at all but it does give some damned good mobility and gets your ass out the fire like nothing else on the tier6 double-dash ability. Combine that with the fact that you can teleport through walls with your normal dodge/roll and you're the space ninja that the N7 Slayer wishes it was. Its a damned good melee attacker, not quite as good as the sword inf, but still good.

She's actually faster than the Shadow when it comes to non-boss enemies. I've played a few gold matches with an all-out 46646 melee build and once you get going, it's a non-stop chain of decapitating fools and spamming Biotic Focus. You can kill anything up to a marauder with a single heavy melee strike (marauders need a few seconds of poison damage).

On the flip side, she's useless against bosses and Poison Strike needs a big buff. In fact, her poison DoTs in general should be much nastier, considering that the Batarian Soldier can shoot blades, toss an inferno grenade and walk away while everything burns to ashes. It's balanced somewhat by the fact that the batsoldier can't really move in any direction except forward, but PS is still really really weak.

Xanathus

Looks like there's an early Weekend Challenge coming up that's starting today/tomorrow, and it has two versions.

OPERATION LODESTAR (NORMAL)
Extract Once Against Cerberus on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Reapers on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Geth on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Collectors on Silver or Higher.

Start Date: Mar 5, 10:00am PST
End Date: Mar 11, 10:00am PDT

There's an alternative version named OPERATION LODESTAR (INSANITY) listed under your challenges tab of the web N7 manifest which is the same except to do it all on Platinum.

Looks like there's an early Weekend Challenge coming up that's starting today/tomorrow, and it has two versions.

OPERATION LODESTAR (NORMAL)
Extract Once Against Cerberus on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Reapers on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Geth on Silver or Higher. Extract Once Against the Collectors on Silver or Higher.

Start Date: Mar 5, 10:00am PST
End Date: Mar 11, 10:00am PDT

There's an alternative version named OPERATION LODESTAR (INSANITY) listed under your challenges tab of the web N7 manifest which is the same except to do it all on Platinum.

what do u get if u do those?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not looking forward to Collectors on Plat. Gonna have to work it with my Jugs...

These challenges bring out the worst people I swear. First match today was Cerberus Silver. Had me as the sexbot (which I finally got thank god), a volus vanguard, an asari something, and a geth juggernaut. Asari drops out halfway through, juggernaut dies every few seconds, and I find out during the match the volus was wearing the batarian gauntlets. Apparently none of them knew what a Cobra Missile or Medigel was, except for maybe the volus who revived himself once or twice.

Did I mention this was just a silver match? /me flips a table

X-Frame

If you do the Platinum (Insanity) one you satisfy both requirements. And you get two Commendation Packs, excluding the Gift Pack so I believe that is 3 Packs you can get this week.

If you do the Platinum (Insanity) one you satisfy both requirements. And you get two Commendation Packs, excluding the Gift Pack so I believe that is 3 Packs you can get this week.

Damn now i want to do the platinum one but I doubt it will happen. Plat extractions are already so hard with pubs, they only time it really works is against the Reapers.

These challenges bring out the worst people I swear. First match today was Cerberus Silver. Had me as the sexbot (which I finally got thank god), a volus vanguard, an asari something, and a geth juggernaut. Asari drops out halfway through, juggernaut dies every few seconds, and I find out during the match the volus was wearing the batarian gauntlets. Apparently none of them knew what a Cobra Missile or Medigel was, except for maybe the volus who revived himself once or twice.

Did I mention this was just a silver match? /me flips a table

how the hell can you die with a juggernaut?

Wow, me and the regulars I play with were just discussing how they'd never put up a platinum challenge, happy to be proven wrong! Although it's going to be ugly for anyone who plays platinum with randoms...

Edit: Eagle IX in my gift pack, well at least I can only get one more... (come on Hurricane x2!)

exYle

how the hell can you die with a juggernaut?

Some people don't realize the Heavy Melee drains shields. Also, Praetorian melees can stunlock you to death. Also, if you're getting railed on by multiple bosses (two Brutes, two Banshees is the most common), you can down because their DPS is simply too much to compensate for (and both can also Stunlock, but it's less likely than a Praetorian)

He's godlike, but gods can die.

X-Frame

Damn now i want to do the platinum one but I doubt it will happen. Plat extractions are already so hard with pubs, they only time it really works is against the Reapers.

Search specifically for Platinum games on Giant. 90% are players that know the best way to win is to hold and defend the extraction zone and extraction is much easier. Giant is just a great map for Platinum IMO.

I've beaten Reapers, Geth, and Cerberus many times though on a few different maps but never have I played Collectors Platinum, that will be difficult.

I'm trying to think of the "best" classes up against them ...

Some people don't realize the Heavy Melee drains shields.

Yeah this was pretty much it. That and he didn't seem to know he could basically sync kill Phantoms, which seemed to be the cause of his deaths about 90% of the time. I certainly don't mind going out of my way to revive people, especially on lower difficulty levels, but he really tested my patience there and he wasn't able to extract with me and the volus :/

Also I have never done Platinum nor do I think I'm good enough for it. I don't use a mic, I almost always doing PUG matches because I only have one friend that plays this game, and Gold alone puts me on edge. I really don't know you guys do it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Search specifically for Platinum games on Giant. 90% are players that know the best way to win is to hold and defend the extraction zone and extraction is much easier. Giant is just a great map for Platinum IMO.

I've beaten Reapers, Geth, and Cerberus many times though on a few different maps but never have I played Collectors Platinum, that will be difficult.

I'm trying to think of the "best" classes up against them ...

There is 2 extraction zones in Dagger, which one are you talking about?

X-Frame

There is 2 extraction zones in Dagger, which one are you talking about?

I said Giant, haha. Dagger isn't that bad either but most people hold the inside corridor and it's easy to get overrun there and sync killed. It's big enough so you can run far away if shit hits the fan.

In all seriousness though, for Platinum just be a Juggernaut or make sure one is in the game with you on Platinum to draw aggro and keep sync-kill bosses busy while DPS classes like the TGI or GI or any others destroy them.

But I still think Giant is the best. I've extracted about 30 times in PUG's on that map on Platinum. Juggernauts now just make it way easier.

X-Frame

You need all the free multiplayer DLC, none of the paid DLC is related.

Edit: Looking to run some platinum now on Xbox, post if you want to join, or send a Friend Request (Gamertag: Oblivionmancer)

I'll shoot you a FR but I won't be on until later tonight, like 7 PM eastern the earliest. If not tonight maybe some other time.

GT: Supercharged XF

exYle

So if anyone's curious, here's the three-tier reward system for Lodestar:

Individual Goal: This challenge is tiered:

Participation (extracting on any difficulty) earns the 1st-tier reward.
Extracting against all four enemy factions on Silver difficulty or higher earns the 2nd-tier reward.
Extracting against all four every enemy factions on Platinum difficulty earns the 3rd-tier reward.
Rewards:

1st tier – Commendation Pack.
2nd tier – A second bonus Commendation Pack and a banner, (“Stood Fast, Stood Strong, Stood Together”)
3rd tier – A third bonus Commendation Pack.

This will last until the 10th.

Harlock

Decoy nerf was about the number os enemies that focus fire on him?

We have a web app to simulate builds?

A thing I never know is if a power is biotic or tech when are in non biotic/tech classes.

Or things like if the Biotic Slash has your power affected by the sword upgrade.

Or when some weapons are not affected by some mods.

Mindlog

!
Decoy nerf was about the number os enemies that focus fire on him?

We have a web app to simulate builds?

A thing I never know is if a power is biotic or tech when are in non biotic/tech classes.

Or things like if the Biotic Slash has your power affected by the sword upgrade.

Or when some weapons are not affected by some mods.
Yes, and also made it so enemy melee classes (banshee, phantom, brutes) completely ignore it.
Narida
They can also fall into combat powers. Primer on power combinations.
AFAIK Biotic/Electric Slash are not affected by fitness. Only melee and Shadow Strike.
Post.

I'm going to be on later tonight. Will probably be pubbing the Insanity objective. Herding cats is fun.

New Balance!
Spitfire buffs: Nice. My Spitfire X is pleased.
Repair Matrix Nerf: Doesn't really change how I play.
Talon Buffs: Holy crap. Buffs?
Other buffs: Nice.

Maybe they'll look at nerfing the Hurricane.

Ronabo

If anyone wants to do Platinum stuff for the goal I'm game.

It's not that hard. Especially on Giant/Rio/Glacier/Hazard Reactor.

Melchiah

Just did the challenge on normal;
Gift pack - Valkyrie VI
Commendation pack - Hurricane V

Also finally maxed the Geth Pulse Rifle via a PSP, and got a new gun, M-11 Suppressor. Is it any good?

Played the final Cerberus/Gold match with two Juggernauts and a Salarian Infiltrator. The two juggs were dying all the time, and almost screwed up the hacking mission (three hackings during that match) on wave 10, by staying away from the objective, while I and the Salarian tried to keep our ground against three Phantoms and two Atlases in one of the small rooms in Ghost. They ended up saving our butts though.

I think I'm going to pass the insanity challenge.

Melchiah

If anyone wants to do Platinum stuff for the goal I'm game.

It's not that hard. Especially on Giant/Rio/Glacier/Hazard Reactor.

Wut?! o_O

Every time I've played it on Gold, it's been a nightmare. No matter the team, or the enemy faction. The one and only time it went relatively well, was when we had two Kroguards in the team, and the enemy was Geth. I just hate the map on anything past Silver. It's too bad it's hard to find Gold games for some maps, like Rio and Hydra.

EDIT: Everyone seems to play Dagger, Giant, Ghost, White or Glacier, and I'm quite frankly getting sick of them, eventhough I used to like those maps.

!

Yes, and also made it so enemy melee classes (banshee, phantom, brutes) completely ignore it.
Narida
They can also fall into combat powers. Primer on power combinations.
AFAIK Biotic/Electric Slash are not affected by fitness. Only melee and Shadow Strike.
Post.

I'm going to be on later tonight. Will probably be pubbing the Insanity objective. Herding cats is fun.

New Balance!
Spitfire buffs: Nice. My Spitfire X is pleased.
Repair Matrix Nerf: Doesn't really change how I play.
Talon Buffs: Holy crap. Buffs?
Other buffs: Nice.

Maybe they'll look at nerfing the Hurricane.

Fuck Bioware so hard if this is true. That shit was perfect the way it was. So stupid of them to give into the whiners.

Top Bottom