• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

exYle

mass2jr3g.jpg

Wait, what? I have a lower N7 Rating on the leaderboards, but I am in the top 5% and you are only in the top 6%?

That doesn't make any sense.

I just bought this game last week..

I have never seen such a polarizing game!

I HATE "that guy" who gets 65k on bronze while not allowing you to even see an enemy until wave 3.

But,

I love that same guy when I am playing silver. Caught a good group and got that banner today

I can pull 100k+ in Gold matches with the Cabal now but I wouldn't dream of taking it into a Platinum match.

Not until Poison gets a massive buff.

Biotic Focus is fine as long as you're not trying to trigger it while deepthroating a rocket. .5 seconds is a pretty big window (at least for all the people that are used to fighting games [online]) as it basically gives you the better part of a Brute's windup to prepare. The free gate it gives you is pretty big even if you op for continuous 40% damage reduction.

Its weird how its good up til Gold with just the Turian passives and Focus. Poison is useless and Nightshades are only worth having if you go all the way to tier 6 and get the exploding blades.

Platinum can't be brute forced for the most part, like gold can. Thats why Cabal drops off.

Got the venom tonight, weird shotgun. Has almost no ammo, and staggers like the scorpion. Still no spitfire or Prothean :(

Ill probably do some runs tonight - gold or Plat if we can get a good group together (tonight my time, so like 5 hours from now)

Ill bring out the AIU or Geth Trooper - or if we get a really good group can run a volus as well for debuffs and healing duties.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait, what? I have a lower N7 Rating on the leaderboards, but I am in the top 5% and you are only in the top 6%?

That doesn't make any sense.

I have no idea :/

I just bought this game last week..

I have never seen such a polarizing game!

I HATE "that guy" who gets 65k on bronze while not allowing you to even see an enemy until wave 3.

But,

I love that same guy when I am playing silver. Caught a good group and got that banner today

Just so you know, personal game score does not have any baring on end-game rewards. The points are added up and everybody in the squad is awarded the same XP and credits. You could have one person carry the entire team on the hardest difficulty, and everybody would reap the rewards.

It's why you sometimes end up with moochers in your squad.

fatty

I have no idea where to ask and I didn't want to start a new topic but I figured people in this thread would be able to help.

I'm trying to find the youtube video that has a montage of different goofy Shepard quotes and him dancing and stuff. It used to be posted in here a bit but a few years ago (I'm thinking Mass Effect 1 or 2). It's similar to the "Commander Shepard is Such a Jerk" but even more out there. There was also a Star Wars one that was very popular (posted in here) and I can't find that one either. Lots of dancing in that one too and a guy running around in circles while singing. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can think of two, and now a third, moments when this multiplayer just totally clicked and sent an adrenalin rush of "FUCK YEAH" through my body.

First, the sensation of the Geth Infiltrator with a shotgun clicking, and realising the entire arena is your playground of death.

Second, when Collectors and hazard maps were introduced, and my first round was Collectors on Hazard Dagger. The thick sandstorm clouding vision, howling wind, and eerie clicking and buzzing of the Collectors made for one hell of a distinct atmosphere.

And now thirdly, I have unlocked the Krogan Warlord. Spec'd for biotic hammer + tech armor. Found myself in a game full of biotic users. The synchronisation of biotics setting up targets followed by that fucking hammer detonating explosions...wow. Wow.

Make. It. Rain.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have no idea where to ask and I didn't want to start a new topic but I figured people in this thread would be able to help.

I'm trying to find the youtube video that has a montage of different goofy Shepard quotes and him dancing and stuff. It used to be posted in here a bit but a few years ago (I'm thinking Mass Effect 1 or 2). It's similar to the "Commander Shepard is Such a Jerk" but even more out there. There was also a Star Wars one that was very popular (posted in here) and I can't find that one either. Lots of dancing in that one too and a guy running around in circles while singing. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjTuSQNLI4 ?

deafmedal

Today marks one year of playing this game. I've probably played too much, but the group of guys I run with, some for 6+ months and a few for ~10 months, make the game still enjoyable for me. Bullshitin, strugglefests, Hazard Reactor trolling, U/U/P with random load outs... so many times we've had tears in our eyes from laughing and then you hear "Squad Member Down!" three or four times in quick succession. Which of course leads to even more unrestrained laughter :)

Bioware did a great job, sure there are flaws but the overall experience has been fun for the most part. I have played a few other games here and there to break the monotony but I'll probably play to the bitter end. I'd say I got my money's worth.

6673414F-A2A9-4AC9-BDDF-8BEB11AFBEEF-3783-00000C6852BC8C20_zps00415ebf.jpg

I had left that game alone for a while (I did play a fair amount of the multiplayer by my standards, but ridiculously small by some of yours.. :) Maybe 8-10 hours).

It's so neat they kept adding so many classes to the game. I wish I could unlock them all temporarily to just play around with them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How are you people getting these new banners like the Biotic God? I don't see any option to change it from the original ones.

Woorloog

Banned
Am i evil for not taking Dark Channel with the Collector?
I feel i'm spending all my time using the Dark Sphere and Seeker Swarms, don't have time to use the Dark Channel. Aiming Seekers isn't always very easy...

I like how the Collector feels like a cross beetween Adept and Soldier, pretty sturdy and good firepower with Collector Rifle.

exYle

I feel i'm spending all my time using the Dark Sphere and Seeker Swarms, don't have time to use the Dark Channel. Aiming Seekers isn't always very easy...

I like how the Collector feels like a cross beetween Adept and Soldier, pretty sturdy and good firepower with Collector Rifle.

You should put at least 3 points into DC. When firing off a Dark Sphere, you can cast Dark Channel at one of the targets the Sphere is flying towards - when you detonate the sphere, your cooldown for DC will change to the cooldown for Dark Sphere - exactly like using a power during Tactical Cloak. This'll give you some extra DPS vs. bosses, which the Dark Sphere isn't very effective for.

Woorloog

Banned
You should put at least 3 points into DC. When firing off a Dark Sphere, you can cast Dark Channel at one of the targets the Sphere is flying towards - when you detonate the sphere, your cooldown for DC will change to the cooldown for Dark Sphere - exactly like using a power during Tactical Cloak. This'll give you some extra DPS vs. bosses, which the Dark Sphere isn't very effective for.

And from where do i take those 3 points for DC?
Maxed out everything else. And like it that way.

Also, hate Adas: it breaks other weapons sounds if someone is using it. Annoying. And its sound is horrible, hate it.

Woorloog

Banned

Why? Need the recharge speed from Ascendant stance. Or whatever it was called. 40% damage taken penalty is steep but i try to avoid getting hit in the first place.
But i'll consider it.
Too many ways to build the class :/

EDIT i'd be lying if i said my "avoid getting hit" strategy worked well though. Of course if i'm getting hit, i tend to die, with or without damage reductions or damage taken penalties. I have a talent for getting out of cover when some enemy is firing missiles or other heavy weapons.

I did mention being a glass cannon a few pages back.

EDIT also, some fucker decided that Dark Channel has to have a blue effect, not green one. Doesn't fit the Collector at all. And yes, i care about how things look too. No fun otherwise.

exYle

Why? Need the recharge speed from Ascendant stance. Or whatever it was called. 40% damage taken penalty is steep but i try to avoid getting hit in the first place.
But i'll consider it.
Too many ways to build the class :/

EDIT i'd be lying if i said my "avoid getting hit" strategy worked well though. Of course if i'm getting hit, i tend to die, with or without damage reductions or damage taken penalties. I have a talent for getting out of cover when some enemy is firing missiles or other heavy weapons.

I did mention being a glass cannon a few pages back.

I HATE Ascension stance.
- Even the non-"upgraded", 20% damage taken increase is too much for this guy
- Buffs are negligible
- Effect only lasts 30 seconds with no significant cue that the effect has ended other than "you just kinda stop glowing"
- In games with lag, sometimes the visual effect of the stance do not show up (similar to how Annihilation Field sometimes doesn't appear), so you have no idea of telling when the effect is on and when the effect is off
- Turning it on leaves you vulnerable to fire for several seconds. In high difficulties where waves last several minutes, there is simply too much risk in applying the stance.

My original build for Fitness was pure fitness at 5 points.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, i play at most at Gold, and that rarely (not too keen on that with random people).

Me, i find the bonuses worth the damage taken penalty, especially since keep Seeker Swarms up with 40% damage reduction (i do use them as well, i just make sure i don't have Ascension Stance without them). The recharge speed especially, with heavy loadout (read: not-light Assault Rifle or Sniper) i need that. Don't have ultra-light materials for either weapon yet.
Just gotta be careful when and where to use it.

Well, i play at most at Gold, and that rarely (not too keen on that with random people).

Me, i find the bonuses worth the damage taken penalty, especially since keep Seeker Swarms up with 40% damage reduction (i do use them as well, i just make sure i don't have Ascension Stance without them). The recharge speed especially, with heavy loadout (read: not-light Assault Rifle or Sniper) i need that. Don't have ultra-light materials for either weapon yet.
Just gotta be careful when and where to use it.

I feel like, even if you survive with a huge penalty on damage taken, the seconds you spend 'ascending' could still be better spent firing on enemies, using powers, repositioning, and so on. The mode is only going to make a truly noticeable difference on dark sphere's detonation*, so for it to be worthwhile given the vulnerability of prepping and using it, using it should be producing kills faster, and I'm not really sure that it does. Do you notice enemies dying from the detonation while it's on that don't while it isn't?

*I'm curious as to whether the bonus is additive (as almost all power bonuses are) or multiplicative. If it's the latter, that certainly makes it more appealing, although I still can't justify giving up dark channel for it.

Bisnic

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=SaiST&platform=xbox

Didn't realize I had played for so many hours. >_<

Still regret not trying out multiplayer sooner, and missing out on those first and third Commendation Packs... Well, the third one really couldn't be helped, since I was out of town.

I know you hate me for having a Hurricane X for a long time, but i still wish i had your Valkyrie VI. :p

bIjJ5nK.png

Hell, you even have a Harrier VI while mine is still at I. So yeah... i could trade your manifest with mine.

Woorloog

Banned
I feel like, even if you survive with a huge penalty on damage taken, the seconds you spend 'ascending' could still be better spent firing on enemies, using powers, repositioning, and so on. The mode is only going to make a truly noticeable difference on dark sphere's detonation*, so for it to be worthwhile given the vulnerability of prepping and using it, using it should be producing kills faster, and I'm not really sure that it does. Do you notice enemies dying from the detonation while it's on that don't while it isn't?

*I'm curious as to whether the bonus is additive (as almost all power bonuses are) or multiplicative. If it's the latter, that certainly makes it more appealing, although I still can't justify giving up dark channel for it.

Some weaker enemies (on Silver) do survive the detonation (DS: damage, DOT, unstable; VA: power damage, power damage, Collector weapon damage) without Ascension Stance, though i wonder if shieldgate affects powers?
The damage boost does wonders when trying to blow up Phantoms though. Also gives more damage for the DOT component which is good if i can't detonate them with Seekers.

As for activating the Stance, i use a moment when i can't do anything else to activate it, 30 seconds is enough (and it can be deactivated if necessary, though the animation playing for that is frustrating) to use my powers a couple of times.
Best time to use the thing is right after activating Seeker Swarm, replacing its casting animation with Ascension animation and boosting the recharge time so that i can use the Dark Sphere sooner again, with damage boost.

Seeker Swarms with Damage Reduction negate* Ascension Stance's penalty pretty well so it doesn't really bother me. It is just like playing on higher difficulty with weaker enemies.

*How are the penalties and bonuses for the damage reduction calculated?

Some weaker enemies (on Silver) do survive the detonation (DS: damage, DOT, unstable; VA: power damage, power damage, Collector weapon damage) without Ascension Stance, though i wonder if shieldgate affects powers?
The damage boost does wonders when trying to blow up Phantoms though. Also gives more damage for the DOT component which is good if i can't detonate them with Seekers.

As for activating the Stance, i use a moment when i can't do anything else to activate it, 30 seconds is enough (and it can be deactivated if necessary, though the animation playing for that is frustrating) to use my powers a couple of times.
Best time to use the thing is right after activating Seeker Swarm, replacing its casting animation with Ascension animation and boosting the recharge time so that i can use the Dark Sphere sooner again, with damage boost.

Seeker Swarms with Damage Reduction negate* Ascension Stance's penalty pretty well so it doesn't really bother me. It is just like playing on higher difficulty with weaker enemies.

*How are the penalties and bonuses for the damage reduction calculated?

As far as I know the penalty would be subtracted from the bonus, but I can't actually think of another instance of a damage taken penalty in the game. It is worth noting that damage reduction is not actually applied at the listed value, and I would think the same applies to the penalty--that would be messed up if not. Damage reduction is actually applied at 75% of the listed value, which infuriates me. They don't need to up the reduction, just correct the listed values!

Edit: It's getting late, but if anyone needs last minute help with the Platinum challenge, I'm game.

I made her with a sort of mix build melee/shotgun. Its awesome with a Crusader X. Her heavy melee is strong and fast.

Best character. I love her style. Got her specced for shotgun damage and roll with a Claymore X. Cloak, Snap Freeze, one shot's everything. But yes, miss that one shot and its a pretty big risk...

Bisnic

Best character. I love her style. Got her specced for shotgun damage and roll with a Claymore X. Cloak, Snap Freeze, one shot's everything. But yes, miss that one shot and its a pretty big risk...

That's why i love the Crusader, i don't have to always be close to hit something.

That's why i love the Crusader, i don't have to always be close to hit something.

I think my Crusader is at IV though. My claymore is at X. BTW the claymore has a pretty decent range with the smart choke to ensure its accurate.

I want to get my harrier to X now (VI) since the Scorpion is now at X.

So many URs, such a shitty drop rate.

Bisnic

I think my Crusader is at IV though. My claymore is at X. BTW the claymore has a pretty decent range with the smart choke to ensure its accurate.

I want to get my harrier to X now (VI) since the Scorpion is now at X.

So many URs, such a shitty drop rate.

A Crusader dont need a smart choke, so i can put the extra melee damage mod and the weapons or armor piercing mod instead. ;) It's as accurate as a pistol, so you can hit something that is very far away with the default accuracy.

But i guess a Claymore X is still a better choice until your Crusader is better.

Woorloog

Banned
As far as I know the penalty would be subtracted from the bonus, but I can't actually think of another instance of a damage taken penalty in the game. It is worth noting that damage reduction is not actually applied at the listed value, and I would think the same applies to the penalty--that would be messed up if not. Damage reduction is actually applied at 75% of the listed value, which infuriates me. They don't need to up the reduction, just correct the listed values!

Edit: It's getting late, but if anyone needs last minute help with the Platinum challenge, I'm game.

Well, that explains why i was still taking more damage than i thought i should while having 4 Seekers and Ascension Stance.
They don't need correct the listed values but actually make it work properly, ie applied at 100% of listed value...
Or correct the text and reduce the penalty from Ascension stance so that Seekers can cancel it out if evolved for 4 seekers.

Tsukumo

Dark channel is the nastiest debuffer in the game: slows down, damages for large amounts of points, travels to another target if the one it's currently affecting goes down, sets up explosions, no need for spamming since it lasts FOR DAYS...
you are crippling your build if you spec out of it. Even three points, like Exyle suggests, will make a difference up to gold.

Woorloog

Banned
Dark channel is the nastiest debuffer in the game: slows down, damages for large amounts of points, travels to another target if the one it's currently affecting goes down, sets up explosions, no need for spamming since it lasts FOR DAYS...
you are crippling your build if you spec out of it. Even three points, like Exyle suggests, will make a difference up to gold.

It is blue. Not green. Blue. That is the biggest offender. I play because this thing is fun, and having a good looking character is part of fun. Including powers.
Also, i can't take the points from anywhere really. As i extensively explained, i like Ascension Stance at max rank.
If i'd take DC, i might as well max it out right away too, considerably better that way. Doesn't change that it tends to refuse jumping to next enemy (since the thing has apparently a hiddend max transfer range) when detonated or the enemy dies. Hated having to recast it constantly while played a Fury.

EDIT while talking about Dark Channel, did anyone here use it in the single player? I tried it and then i dropped Javik, deciding it was a waste of time power (and Javik lacks anything really useful), inconsistent, low damage output, much better to prime enemies with other powers.

EDIT also, do i really need Dark Channel with the Collector? Dark Sphere has DoT component. Seeker Swarms can slow down enemies (a debuff i've never found very useful in this game, people still go infront of slower enemies, negating the entire point of slowing them...).

Harlock

X-Frame

I use Dark Channel on the Awakened Collector primarily for 1v1 encounters because it has no travel time so it's an instant hit, it staggers, and it primes them so my beefed up Warp Ammo'd weapon will do double ammo damage against them. Plus, the DoT is useful too.

A full power specced Collector could get a pretty powerful Dark Channel, but it still won't be as high as an Asari Huntress who can do over 1,000 damage a second to barriers and close to that to armor.

Or I could just ignore it, because it doesn't matter.

lol this. ive stopped promoting now at level 700+. skill and weapons make up for n7 rank. I judge on weapons and skills..not a meaningless rank.

ps. sai is the worst headshot stealing offender in the game with the sabre. you need that at x for sure. everytime I line up anything I hear the despicable pop of my kill being stolen ;)

Top Bottom