• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Any recommendations on Quarian Infiltrator builds+loadout? I've heard they're good for taking on Gold, and I'm in dire need of money.

I feel like my Level 20 Vanguard, while being amazing in Bronze and Silver, will get decimated in Gold.

I put all my points into Warp. Sentinel's make me second guess myself in how to allocate points. There are so many options.

To me, Warp is really only useful against armored enemies. Against everyone else, I use Chain Overload, which takes down shields in a split second, briefly incapacitates enemies, and jumps to additional enemies to deal damage. It's so vastly superior to Warp it's not even funny.

I unlocked a Quarian Infiltrator yesterday. I think I've got her up to Level 13 now. If you want to use her in Gold, you definitely need the enemy to be Geth. Her Sabotage power absolutely owns them, especially when fully maxed out. Carry one light-ish weapon (I use the Carnifex), and spam sabotage while occasionally activating Tactical Cloak and taking a headshot with the Carnifex.

eek5

Any recommendations on Quarian Infiltrator builds+loadout? I've heard they're good for taking on Gold, and I'm in dire need of money.

I feel like my Level 20 Vanguard, while being amazing in Bronze and Silver, will get decimated in Gold.

Here is what I'm using now:

Weapon: Mantis X (I don't have anything else, but this gives a fast recharge)

I only roll with sniper but you can add a SMG with lighter materials if you want something else to supplement it. On geth maps I find that I don't really need CQB since I can hack and run away. Fighting other races it becomes more problematic since stuff moves a lot faster and can swarm you so you might want to add one. I like to be able to use sabo/cloak faster though and the timing on recharge for cloak and mantis reload is almost perfect.

Sabotage: Duration/Explode on Death/Berserk (hacked units 100% more damage, move faster)

I haven't found the overheat to be that useful. When you're fighting other races the QI isn't that strong so you're better off using another class anyway. 30% more damage isn't a lot and the overheating doesn't last that long. Berserk is mostly so your hacked units can one shot others. A great example is hacking one rocket trooper at a time and he'll one shot other rocket troopers which means you'll have to hack less in genreal.

Tactical Cloak: Duration / Recharge / Bonus Power

Duration is solely for the challenges where you have to deactivate terminals. For sniping you won't really need 13 seconds but 10 is a bit short for getting to a terminal, activating it, and staying cloaked the entire time.

I like bonus power because you can use cloak to snipe but also to sneak around sabotaging stuff. You can get two sabotages off without breaking cloak which is useful for double duty if your team is having problems and only has one person who can sabo. You can also combo it with cloak/sabo/snipe (which I do a lot). Use short melee to cancel out of cloak.

From there you can either build out sticky grenades or get more shield/health. You'll want to get a couple of points for weight to help out with your recharge times as well.

Quarian Infiltrator has very little shield/health so you'll want to regen your shield a lot. The way I do this is cloak and run away to a safe spot, melee to cancel out of cloak then wait for shields to recharge then recloak. With fast recharge times this is pretty trivial so I don't find the health/shield tree to be that necessary.

I personally like sticky grenades for farming because rocket troopers will take one shot to take out their shields then another sniper shot to kill them but the timing is extremely tight and sometimes they can regen a bit of shields. 2 sticky grenades will kill them or 1 sticky grenade after you take out their shields. I like to get proximity upgrade at T6 because it increases radius size and gives you a bit of breathing room on where you have to throw it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Outside of connection issues really enjoying this.

Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong by playing almost exclusively soldier haha.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To me, Warp is really only useful against armored enemies. Against everyone else, I use Chain Overload, which takes down shields in a split second, briefly incapacitates enemies, and jumps to additional enemies to deal damage. It's so vastly superior to Warp it's not even funny.

I unlocked a Quarian Infiltrator yesterday. I think I've got her up to Level 13 now. If you want to use her in Gold, you definitely need the enemy to be Geth. Her Sabotage power absolutely owns them, especially when fully maxed out. Carry one light-ish weapon (I use the Carnifex), and spam sabotage while occasionally activating Tactical Cloak and taking a headshot with the Carnifex.

Yeah, I think I may have chosen poorly with Warp. Maybe if I reach lvl 20 and promote. :(

Quarian Infiltrator Build

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. I really just want a money maker here. The booster pack system is just so unbelievably addictive.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
All the classes (except the soldier, maybe) have their uses in MP.

My roommate has been destroying with Human Soldier, he somehow tosses those grenades to bounce around corners or right in the middle of large groups, taking out about everything! This is bronze difficulty, so I imagine with slower resupply from ammo boxes in silver/gold it would be more difficult to be useful.

I played a couple games last night, tried to join a Geth Gold run with my level 2 engineer, the first team i was matched with only kicked me because I couldnt get my mic to work ... feels bad man. If anyone here was in that game, I didnt have time to save anyone's PSN names, send me a friend request: PSN. I promise I'm actually not horrible haha. I was totally prepared to roll into Gold vs Geth with Level III equipment and im not stingy with my rockets or gels! I'm in it to win it! haha.

Later groups I matched with were not so great, I think when im 2nd on points as level 2 engineer on silver vs geth, in a group full of 15+ infiltrators and such, i shouldnt be blamed for us losing on wave 8. /shrug I did get kicked immediately, even with my level 50+ N7 level and higher level equipment. People need to not be such A-holes just because a character level is low hasnt stopped me from being in the top 2 of almost all my games. Thanks.

Wonko_C

With the progress-erasing glitch and the money-cheat bans I'm even less compelled to go into multiplayer than I was before. (I wanted to finish story first, but I'm 16 hours into the game and just finished the second priority mission, I'm taking my time with the game) But I still feel I'm going to regret it when everyone else is high-leveled or just stopped playing. Should I stop being paranoid about it and dive in?

eek5

Yeah, I think I may have chosen poorly with Warp. Maybe if I reach lvl 20 and promote. :(
Promoting isn't so bad. I messed up my Quarian Infiltrator and promoted it then got it back to level 15 after like 4 silver matches or so. I just did it while watching TV. Silver is a lot easier after you figure out gold. The hardest part imo is not getting booted from lobbies just because you have a level 1 character. I'm N7 100+.. I know what I'm doing ffs

Thanks, I'll definitely try that. I really just want a money maker here. The booster pack system is just so unbelievably addictive.

Another build you can use is a basic human engineer with overload (get both chain upgrades) and incinerate. I just spam overload to get geth shields down then incinerate (with burning, 8s damage) high health targets and go back to overloading.

If you can unlock salarian engineer it's even better because you can get decoy which completely messes up the AI. You can drop it in doorways/corners/narrow walkways and the enemy just gets stuck on it then you can spam overload from safety.

I do agree that Overload is overall more useful than Warp, but Warp is absolutely key in taking down bigger targets. One of the options is that it increases weapon damage to a target, meaning it helps out your entire team. Outside of the usual suspects like Geth Primes/Atlas/Banshees, it's also my first go-to skill for Pyro's, Brutes, Phantoms, etc. Also, even though the Atlas' primary protection are shields, I still spam Warp due to the weapon damage benefits.

TheContact

Human engineers are pretty badass. Chain overload + Incinerate work well together. Chain overload is great for spamming on guys with shields (even works great when they're down to their health) and Incinerate (with the armor dmg bonus) does a good job of taking out armored targets when overload doesn't do as much damage. I only use a Pistol (the Phalanx I think it's called) and it literally has no wait for me so my bonus is 200%. Plus the pistol is pretty badass.

Once I get the Salarian (or is it Turian) Sentinel, I think I'm going to use that from now on, because they're essentially the same thing as Engineers but they have the armor spell instead of the drone.

With the progress-erasing glitch and the money-cheat bans I'm even less compelled to go into multiplayer than I was before. (I wanted to finish story first, but I'm 16 hours into the game and just finished the second priority mission, I'm taking my time with the game) But I still feel I'm going to regret it when everyone else is high-leveled or just stopped playing. Should I stop being paranoid about it and dive in?

how does the save glitch trigger? is it random or due to some method?

I've spent like $15 on Spectre packs.

So ashamed.

Is N7 stuff even better than Gold?

Is it Silver>Gold>N7?

I theory although its debatable for some weapons. Like the Black Widow is a gold sniper rifle the can carry 3 rounds per clip while the Javelin is an N7 that can see through smoke and light cover does a bit more damage, but has a fire up time of like half a second and has one round per clip.

Anyone else a fan of the Raptor Sniper Rifle? I think it's seriously underrated. Have that equipped with the Armor Piercing mod and you have a great weapon.

MIKEAL

Banned
Asari Adept + Geth Shotgun= killing machine. Seriously, at long range the shotguns bullets are like heat seeking missiles. Its really not a shotgun at all, best gun in the game imho

Owning the Salarian Infiltrator + Widow, I feel extremely powerful. Unless I'm playing stupid or something powerful somehow comes up behind me unexpectedly, it's very difficult for me to die.

The only real bitches are Phantoms and Banshees.

MIKEAL

Banned
Owning the Salarian Infiltrator + Widow, I feel extremely powerful. Unless I'm playing stupid or something powerful somehow comes up behind me unexpectedly, it's very difficult for me to die.

The only real bitches are Phantoms and Banshees.

dont forget those fat slug creatures that have dual sniper cannons (the ones that release little critters everywhere when their bellies explode). I hate those things, they ALWAYS seem to find a way to come up behind me

dont forget those fat slug creatures that have dual sniper cannons (the ones that release little critters everywhere when their bellies explode). I hate those things, they ALWAYS seem to find a way to come up behind me

Those things are much easier to predict than banshees or phantoms if you see them before they see you.

Sober

Always kill ravagers ASAP. Always. Brute and Banshees can always be kited, but if you get exposed to them while kiting, you're dead.

MIKEAL

Banned
Geth shotgun homes in? News to me.

I'm not positive if the first two ranks of it do, but the third one (that i'm carrying) definately does if you aim at the enemy, the sights turn red and fire

edit: just checked, looks like all ranks of it do (geth plasma shotgun). Its an awesome gun if you can only carry one weapon with your setup. Its funny, at close range it kind of sucks (er, shot..gun?) but at every other range its amazing

haikira

Getting Galactic Readiness from 50%-100% in one sitting + mostly using pistol =

brokenfinger1s600x600.jpg

10 Spectre packs and still no Widow or Asari Adept.

Fuck this random system that's clearly designed for the sole purpose of milking this game for money, rather than legitimately being a good progression system.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Fuck this random system that's clearly designed for the sole purpose of milking this game for money, rather than legitimately being a good progression system.

I love the system so much. There IS a straightforward progression system in how you level your character.

I have a feeling that other companies are going to borrow the Booster Pack unlock system in the future. Perhaps not in competitive modes, but more cooperative modes.

So what's the optimal spec for Engineers? I played around with a Human Female and spun up the Combat Drone, but that seems to be useless even at the highest level. I think I'll switch over to the Human Male and spec for Incinerate/Overload, but what's the best way to do that? Is the chaining worth it?

Help is appreciated!

I love the system so much. There IS a straightforward progression system in how you level your character.

I have a feeling that other companies are going to borrow the Booster Pack unlock system in the future. Perhaps not in competitive modes, but more cooperative modes.

If they let us trade, it would be legitimate. As it stands now, it definitely feels like a money grab.

That's the only problem I have with the unlock system: it's clearly designed as a money maker. It feels like a real grind to get enough credits to purchase a Spectre pack; clearly EA is trying to push cash sales instead. If they hadn't tried to monetize it, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but as it is, it puts all of their motivations in question.

creid

What does the consumable mapped to 'right' on the d-pad do?
Eh... If you spend all of your time using an assault rifle, it would be kind of nice to have a progression system that doesn't reward you by giving you a new pistol.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This might have been asked before, but is there a way to respec characters after spending the EXP points? I made a big booboo in regards to the Salarian Infiltrator. :(

Also, I have the Widow now, is the Black Widow better than it or just seems better since it's an N7 unlock?

This might have been asked before, but is there a way to respec characters after spending the EXP points? I made a big booboo in regards to the Salarian Infiltrator. :(

There are 2 ways. 1) A respec "token" is a rare unlock you can get. 2) Level up the class to 20, at which point you can "promote" to the single-player campaign, thereby starting over at level 1 for that entire class.

To those who actually like the current 'booster card' setup, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning because I can't understand why anyone would condone a system where you have almost no control over it. I don't feel satisfied when I finally get what I'm after, and it doesn't encourage me to use different playstyles; I've already come up with a style that suits me. All it does is frustrate me and prevent me from playing the game how I want, and then I see someone with half my N7 rating rocking a Widow V due to RNG.

I'm not trying to be disparaging here but I can't see how anyone who isn't obsessed with gambling or collecting shiny phat lootz would approve of such a model. So, enlighten me please.

Also, I have the Widow now, is the Black Widow better than it or just seems better since it's an N7 unlock?

There's a respec card as a Gold reward, probably only available in the Spectre packs though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
To those who actually like the current 'booster card' setup, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning because I can't understand why anyone would condone a system where you have almost no control over it. I don't feel satisfied when I finally get what I'm after, and it doesn't encourage me to use different playstyles; I've already come up with a style that suits me

I'm not trying to be disparaging here but I can't see how anyone who isn't obsessed with gambling or collecting shiny phat lootz would approve of such a model. So, enlighten me please.
It reminds me of collecting Pokemon cards so I feel like a small child everytime I hit "purchase".

MIKEAL

Banned
To those who actually like the current 'booster card' setup, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning because I can't understand why anyone would condone a system where you have almost no control over it. I don't feel satisfied when I finally get what I'm after, and it doesn't encourage me to use different playstyles; I've already come up with a style that suits me. All it does is frustrate me and prevent me from playing the game how I want, and then I see someone with half my N7 rating rocking a Widow V due to RNG.

There's a respec card as a Gold reward, probably only available in the Spectre packs though.

I like it because its like a roll of the dice, and it promotes continuous play to get the best weapons/characters. If everyone had the best weapons/chars the game would be boring

Cat Party

It encourages me to play differently as I acquire weapons and characters. It takes away weapon progression, which is something I'm pretty ambivalent about. I don't need to have control to enjoy the system. I think I am getting more out of the MP because I am experimenting a lot more, rather than just working towards various unlocks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's alluring for the exact same reason TCG's sell booster packs. There's an unknown Golden Ticket factor, and a collectibility of "shiny" new rares, exactly as you said. I can understand someone who needs complete control finding the system frustrating. I think it just inherently appeals to some people, and I'm one of them. It also helps that I'm not one of those "MUST HAVE THIS ITEM AT MAX TO BE COMPLETE" types. It's something to pine for, slowly and steadily. It's the same reason why I like looting in Borderlands.

I actually DO think that the random factor allows for experimentation in playstyles. I have never used an assault rifle ever in a Mass Effect game. I unlocked the Saber, so I started using it on a Sentinel. I think the gun is awesome. I do agree that a trading system would be nice.

Something to consider is that you've already come up with a style that suits you. Well, right now nothing is stopping you from playing that style. You don't NEED that Widow V to play your style. All you need are your skill points in the right place. Sure, it'd be nice, but if you just keep playing your style, the odds are that you'll get that Widow leveled up.

harrytang

really loving the lottery system and the ability to spend your money on different packs. i will personally never spend my money on either pack, but because people are willing to spend money, bioware is committed to keeping the multi as engaging and balanced as ever. no way a system like this was implemented and created if multi was only going to be played for a month and then forgotten. i feel like that have a lot of content coming down the pipe to keep us hooked.

i also believe they are even more motivated then ever at fixing glitches, cheating and balance issues. if any of these problems were to cause multi to stall out they lose out on potential revenue.

people may be tempted to spend money and it may seem like a way for them to cheat everyone out a few more dollars, but as a business model it seems like a great incentive for bioware to keep multiplayer as interesting and engaging for as long as possible.

thank you to everyone who spent money buying packs. you're making this game better.

Top Bottom