• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The only issue is that a trading system would lead to the FIFA bullshit in Mass Effect D:

I'm actually not sure how the trading system works in FIFA. I know of it, just not the details. Do people pay real money online through auctions and then trade in-game? I definitely could see if being a problem with the ability to purchase packs with real money.

Is there a general strategy guide for the MP modes?

I didn't see one pop up, but I'd like to not suck so that I can make more moneys.

Right now I'm playing as a Turian Sentinel (l. 15) and I've (foolishly?) maxed out both Overload and Warp.

I've never actually finished a silver run, so I'd love to read some strats.

Also, I've basically been saving all of my credits for Spectre packs (I want to unlock Quarian Engineer for some reason), but due to this I think I'm kind of gimped. I have 0 weapon mods and an Avenger IV assault rifle. My "best" weapon is the Graal Spike Thrower, but I haven't tried it yet because shotguns seem somewhat useless since I get murdered in close.

MIKEAL

Banned

I didn't see one pop up, but I'd like to not suck so that I can make more moneys.

Right now I'm playing as a Turian Sentinel (l. 15) and I've (foolishly?) maxed out both Overload and Warp.

Also, I've basically been saving all of my credits for Spectre packs (I want to unlock Quarian Engineer for some reason), but due to this I think I'm kind of gimped. I have 0 weapon mods and an Avenger IV assault rifle. My "best" weapon is the Graal Spike Thrower, but I haven't tried it yet because shotguns seem somewhat useless since I get murdered in close.

On silver, crowd control is critical to success. Freezing enemies however possible

eek5

I'm actually not sure how the trading system works in FIFA. I know of it, just not the details. Do people pay real money online through auctions and then trade in-game? I definitely could see if being a problem with the ability to purchase packs with real money.

Well people are basically stealing people's accounts, buying fifa stuff then selling that to other people for money

Songbird

Prodigal Son

I'd recommend giving the spike thrower a trial run myself (so jealous) especially if you have unused shotgun weapon mods sitting unused. It has a low spread compared to most weapons and can be shot from a decent distance if you lead your targets and charge up. It's unorthodox, like the geth shotgun and it's accurate fire mode.

But really I just want ME1 style max-skill shotguns that were super long range!

Ken

Is it bad that I have all the characters but only use humans and Turians because I dislike the way Asari, Krogans, Quarians, and Salarians look?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
There are 2 ways. 1) A respec "token" is a rare unlock you can get. 2) Level up the class to 20, at which point you can "promote" to the single-player campaign, thereby starting over at level 1 for that entire class.

How do I promote a class? I have the Infiltrator class at level 20! :D Wait, that will reset the whole class or just the Salarian?

Also, thanks!

Stantron

Wish there was a way to increase camera movement speed even more on console. I played a bit of the PC demo, and being able to quickly turn while sprinting is very useful. You can actually sprint around corners without stopping to readjust the camera.

Any upgrade tips for proximity mines or concussive shot?

MIKEAL

Banned
How do I promote a class? I have the Infiltrator class at level 20! :D Wait, that will reset the whole class or just the Salarian?

Also, thanks!

under select a character screen, highlight the class you want to promote and on the bottom right hand side there should be a promote button

I'd recommend giving the spike thrower a trial run myself (so jealous) especially if you have unused shotgun weapon mods sitting unused. It has a low spread compared to most weapons and can be shot from a decent distance if you lead your targets and charge up. It's unorthodox, like the geth shotgun and it's accurate fire mode.

But really I just want ME1 style max-skill shotguns that were super long range!

I'll give it a shot. Nothing to lose really, my assault rifle isn't exactly winning any efficiency awards.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Only a week in and it is easier to find a good team to complete a gold match than it is to find one for my promoted characters to do bronze/silver.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not positive if the first two ranks of it do, but the third one (that i'm carrying) definately does if you aim at the enemy, the sights turn red and fire

edit: just checked, looks like all ranks of it do (geth plasma shotgun). Its an awesome gun if you can only carry one weapon with your setup. Its funny, at close range it kind of sucks (er, shot..gun?) but at every other range its amazing

Can you confirm or deny that the upgrades to the Geth Shotgun and other rare weapons are just as rare as the weapon itself?

Ken

Can you confirm or deny that the upgrades to the Geth Shotgun and other rare weapons are just as rare as the weapon itself?
Pretty sure they are. I've only received Geth Sg upgrades in Spectre packs while I was getting Avenger upgrades in lower tier packs.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure they are. I've only received Geth Sg upgrades in Spectre packs while I was getting Avenger upgrades in lower tier packs.

Okay, that's good to know. So far I got like 4 Gold shotguns, but having the Geth Shotgun makes the other ones really redundant. Still haven't found a good sniper.

Ken

Can someone explain how promote works?

You reset that class' level to 1, gain some points in Galactic Readiness or something for campaign, and your character shows up in your single player I think? I'm not sure exactly since I haven't started a campaign yet. Oh, you also get 10 N7 levels to your rank but I'm not sure what the point is of N7 levels aside from the pointless leaderboards.

The whole promoting thing reminds me of Grand Knights History but in reverse (and less interesting, from what I can tell). In GKH, you create a squad of units and level them up for x amount of days in the single player. Once you've hit x days, you can knight them which then enables them for use in the online persistent territorial war between three factions.

Ken

Game settings shouldn't be changeable after people enter your lobby. I hate searching for silver challenges and then not notice the leader change it to bronze.

Game settings shouldn't be changeable after people enter your lobby. I hate searching for silver challenges and then not notice the leader change it to bronze.

I hate searching for Geth as the enemy type, then getting put in a lobby with Unknown as the enemy type. My Quarian Infiltrator don't do fleshies.

Ken

Adrenaline Rush on Turian Soldier would be amazing...unfortunately they get stuck with Proximity Mines and Marksman.

Any soldiers want to share their solution for barriers and thick shields?

Mindlog

That's the way my Turian Sentinel is setup. I only have 1 point in tech armor (5 points unused.) I am very effective in Silver and Gold using a Vindicator. So far it's my favorite rifle. The Vindicator's burst fire synchs well with Overload cooldown. Never stop overloading.

I've been checking out exactly where I would get the points to max tech armor. If I want to max tech armor I may have to borrow from Warp. While warp isn't the Turian's main weapon it's incredibly useful when there are other biotics on the team. My last silver run a Drell Adept figured out I would set up his bombs and we moved our way through the level blowing everything up.

That's the way my Turian Sentinel is setup. I only have 1 point in tech armor (5 points unused.) I am very effective in Silver and Gold using a Vindicator. So far it's my favorite rifle. The Vindicator's burst fire synchs well with Overload cooldown. Never stop overloading.

I've been checking out exactly where I would get the points to max tech armor. If I want to max tech armor I may have to borrow from Warp. While warp isn't the Turian's main weapon it's incredibly useful when there are other biotics on the team. My last silver run a Drell Adept figured out I would set up his bombs and we moved our way through the level blowing everything up.

Awesome, that's cool to hear. I don't have the vindicator. Just the default assault rifle still. It's pretty weak.

I've been wondering about using my points on tech armor vs. the two "base" stat skills--increased damage and increased health. I really like warp and overload, but I got the impression from here that I should just use overload. I really need to read up on the skills and understand them better.

_woLf

Played some MP last night just to see a guy playing a Krogan just running around mindlessly and headbutting everything. Got tons of points doing it.

Got a Quarian Infiltrator from an unlock pack, is that class really worth leveling up in MP? It seems too slow with how run and gun people usually play.

Played some MP last night just to see a guy playing a Krogan just running around mindlessly and headbutting everything. Got tons of points doing it.

This is hilarious on bronze and silver gold not so much. Once you get the timing down and stop missing the heavy melees you become unstoppable unless its a brute. Those assholes don't stagger.

I don't see the worth in boosting health and shields when shields in this game are so paper-thin.

Its the difference between taking one rocket or two to the face. Because of the ways shields work rockets don't do damage to your health till all your shields are gone so even if you have one point of shield left the rocket won't do any damage to your actual health bar. This rule applies to basically anything that isn't a bullet brute heavy melee, phantom sword slashes, ect. I'll take the extra survivability over pretty much anything else.

Can someone explain how promote works?

It basically seems like it is just a start from level 1 button. I guess you get points for doing it, but I didn't notice anything on my single player board. I didn't actually compare, so I guess it added points, but my character name didn't show up or anything as a war asset.

Oh, it also seems like you lose the experience bonus. Like when I found Quarian Infiltrator I started as level 3, but when I promoted my level 20 you start from level 1.

Maybe because I don't have Quarians yet? I'll find out later.

If DLC is true I'd be interested at a low price.

Worst part of multiplayer is that I get fuck all in my veteran packs, and I don't earn enough to spend on spectre packs that will probably also be fuck all.

tjohn86

It basically seems like it is just a start from level 1 button. I guess you get points for doing it, but I didn't notice anything on my single player board. I didn't actually compare, so I guess it added points, but my character name didn't show up or anything as a war asset.

Oh, it also seems like you lose the experience bonus. Like when I found Quarian Infiltrator I started as level 3, but when I promoted my level 20 you start from level 1.

Maybe because I don't have Quarians yet? I'll find out later.

If DLC is true I'd be interested at a low price.

Worst part of multiplayer is that I get fuck all in my veteran packs, and I don't earn enough to spend on spectre packs that will probably also be fuck all.

You started at level 3 because character unlocks also come with a xp bonus. Generally 50k from what I've seen.

Ken

Its the difference between taking one rocket or two to the face. Because of the ways shields work rockets don't do damage to your health till all your shields are gone so even if you have one point of shield left the rocket won't do any damage to your actual health bar. This rule applies to basically anything that isn't a bullet brute heavy melee, phantom sword slashes, ect. I'll take the extra survivability over pretty much anything else.

To each his own. The way I play, if I get hit by a rocket I'm either in cover and I can save myself, or I'm in an bad situation where an extra bit of health and shields wouldn't save me. I've built my soldier with points in fitness for shield and health bonuses, and built Adrenaline Rush for survivability, but I'm still being ripped apart as easily as my Sentinel built for damage.

Anyone up for some silver or gold challenges right now on XBL? GT: CAPCPOM.

Ties

Banned
Adrenaline Rush on Turian Soldier would be amazing...unfortunately they get stuck with Proximity Mines and Marksman.

Any soldiers want to share their solution for barriers and thick shields?
Warp + Throw for Biotic Explosion
Spam Nova and Biotic Charge with Vanguard

Ken

Oops sorry didn't see the "soldier" part of that. This time change, can't think.

What type of soldier by the way?

Human and Turian soldier. Concussive shots don't do much to shields. I suppose Adrenline Rush and Marksman buffs are dependent on the assault rifle used, but spamming a ton of bullets is still pretty ineffective at bringing down barriers and shields compared to the powers and abilities of other classes.

Right now, soldiers seem best suited for taking down armor and unarmored units, which makes any big units tough to deal with.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
To those who actually like the current 'booster card' setup, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning because I can't understand why anyone would condone a system where you have almost no control over it. I don't feel satisfied when I finally get what I'm after, and it doesn't encourage me to use different playstyles; I've already come up with a style that suits me. All it does is frustrate me and prevent me from playing the game how I want, and then I see someone with half my N7 rating rocking a Widow V due to RNG.

I'm not trying to be disparaging here but I can't see how anyone who isn't obsessed with gambling or collecting shiny phat lootz would approve of such a model. So, enlighten me please.

I like it quite a bit actually, as it is CO-OP and not competative PVP I like that I get random upgrades / weapons / characters. I also like that the more I play the more I can unlock, regardless of level. I get to control my character and their abilities (at least which out of which characters I have unlocked) and then leave my weapons and gear up to fate. Sadly, my luck has not been great haha. My 1 spectre pack gave me the Disciple which made me want to try it, which gave me an excuse to try Vanguard, which I now love... So yes, it has encouraged me to play different playstyles for sure!

I like to spread my packs out though, I really like the consumable items so I still buy recruit packs, which also level up my guns and give me handy mods. And when I do have time to sit and play longer I can buy vet packs for potentially more fun stuff to try out.

Top Bottom