• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

McNum

Hmm, getting a little curious about ME3 multiplayer. Might want to fire it up some time tonight.

Any good class to start off as? I beat ME3 as an Infiltrator already, and my Starter Pack had a Quarian Infiltrator, so that could be an option. I'm going to miss my Widow rifle until I get a multiplayer one, though. I would like an Asari Vanguard at some point, too. Test driving Charge + Stasis in singleplayer in my second game. And of course, a Krogan. Gotta love the Krogan.

Also, any tips on what NOT to do?

It'll be on PC, by the way, if that changes anything. My Origin tag is McNum.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hmm, getting a little curious about ME3 multiplayer. Might want to fire it up some time tonight.

Any good class to start off as? I beat ME3 as an Infiltrator already, and my Starter Pack had a Quarian Infiltrator, so that could be an option. I'm going to miss my Widow rifle until I get a multiplayer one, though. I would like an Asari Vanguard at some point, too. Test driving Charge + Stasis in singleplayer in my second game. And of course, a Krogan. Gotta love the Krogan.

Also, any tips on what NOT to do?

It'll be on PC, by the way, if that changes anything. My Origin tag is McNum.

Will befriend you! I'm jealous of your Quarian Infiltrator...

About what to try - it's really up to you. Although some race/class combos match up well with certain weapons there's a good amount of customisation. The MANGUARD is popular but I suggest experimenting with whatever non-human character you get first. Class experience is shared between the races it belongs to so go nuts. If you make a mistake you can prestige soon enough!

One thing I'm doing is having the male and female humans of each class take the opposite power evolutions. The male soldier's adrenaline rush is for survival and the female's is for damage.

About things not to do, try not to use ladders unless you absolutely have to. You can be downed while climbing and if you roll/sidestep off the game can just teleport you back and make you wait the descent time. Balance I guess.

McNum

Will befriend you! I'm jealous of your Quarian Infiltrator...

About what to try - it's really up to you. Although some race/class combos match up well with certain weapons there's a good amount of customisation. The MANGUARD is popular but I suggest experimenting with whatever non-human character you get first. Class experience is shared between the races it belongs to so go nuts. If you make a mistake you can prestige soon enough!

One thing I'm doing is having the male and female humans of each class take the opposite power evolutions. The male soldier's adrenaline rush is for survival and the female's is for damage.

About things not to do, try not to use ladders unless you absolutely have to. You can be downed while climbing and if you roll/sidestep off the game can just teleport you back and make you wait the descent time. Balance I guess.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised at getting a character and two free levels in my starter pack.

So the male and female human get to be different builds? Interesting. I like my singleplayer Vanguard, she's nuts. And she can explode twice. But it's also hilarious to see the enemies that were a pushover for my Infiltrator are a problem for my Vanguard and hard enemies for the Infiltrator are charge-fodder on the Vanguard. These classes really are eachother's direct opposites.

But as I said, if I'm going Vanguard, I want to go Asari. I think charging something caught in Stasis causes an explosion. So Stasis Bubble + Area Charge could be fun.

eek5

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at getting a character and two free levels in my starter pack.

So the male and female human get to be different builds? Interesting. I like my singleplayer Vanguard, she's nuts. And she can explode twice. But it's also hilarious to see the enemies that were a pushover for my Infiltrator are a problem for my Vanguard and hard enemies for the Infiltrator are charge-fodder on the Vanguard. These classes really are eachother's direct opposites.

But as I said, if I'm going Vanguard, I want to go Asari. I think charging something caught in Stasis causes an explosion. So Stasis Bubble + Area Charge could be fun.

You can level up your class using a character/race that you have now. For example you could get human vanguard to 20 then unlock the other races and just distribute points when you get them.

Most of the humans are pretty usable too so no big deal. I use my human engineer on gold vs geth all the time

so after a successful bronze run last night, my galactic readiness went up 2% for all areas except for inner citadel, which went up 8%! can anyone explain why? we fought Cerberus if that matters

orion434

I played with a guy hacking the geth last night, such an annoying experience... every 2 seconds. Don't shoot *insert geth* it's on our side. I don't know if it's a glitch... but my Combat Drone couldn't tell the difference.

Arjen

so after a successful bronze run last night, my galactic readiness went up 2% for all areas except for inner citadel, which went up 8%! can anyone explain why? we fought Cerberus if that matters

If you pick your own location instead of random, readiness goes up more for that area and less for the other areas.

HildyB

Can a human vanguard live in gold? How should I spec?

It depends on your team really. As a Vangard I put all my points in Nova and power/weapon dmg. I would just be the guy to take anything on that got too close. Dash was pretty useless unless I needed a shield recharge. This was vs Geth though.. it varies. And again, really depends on your team composition.

HildyB

I played with a guy hacking the geth last night, such an annoying experience... every 2 seconds. Don't shoot *insert geth* it's on our side. I don't know if it's a glitch... but my Combat Drone couldn't tell the difference.

Bah, shoot it all. On Gold it only lasts a few seconds anyway. Although hacking a Prime for 2 seconds does help..

Just got disconnected with about 50 seconds left in a game before the shuttle. Technically the game was already over, anyways. Fuck you EA for not giving me anything- no experience, no credits, nothing, despite my obviously being well in first place and already having earned several thousand credits on earlier challenges. Fuck you very much.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
biowarewhy.jpg

Hey guys, I'm ready!

Bioware really needs to patch the default difficulty on quick match.
This reminds me of a game I had last night, except it was Bronze, I was level 6, readied up immediately and for some reason two of my teammates wanted to boot me.

Ended up not getting that 3rd vote and came in second on score...spent the whole game reviving their asses. :-/

Westraid

Some people's char info mention Battlefield rather than the race they play. EA hiccup or haxors?

GAF name: Westraid
XBL: Westraid

I'm still leveling characters and learning how to play them efficiently, so those of you looking for friends to play silver/gold with might not want to add me right now.
Not joining Silver/Gold with a char that's not 20 yet, it annoys me to hell when other people are doing it.

orion434

Just got disconnected with about 50 seconds left in a game before the shuttle. Technically the game was already over, anyways. Fuck you EA for not giving me anything- no experience, no credits, nothing, despite my obviously being well in first place and already having earned several thousand credits on earlier challenges. Fuck you very much.

The first time the host left the game, it says that the wave will be restarted, press B to exit. So I hit B... not knowing that it would end the entire match. Never did that again...

Edit: Is there a listing with all items you can acquire in MP?

eek5

This reminds me of a game I had last night, except it was Bronze, I was level 6, readied up immediately and for some reason two of my teammates wanted to boot me.

Ended up not getting that 3rd vote and came in second on score...spent the whole game reviving their asses. :-/

If they're N7 50+, I don't really mind if they're less than level 10. It sucks when N7 2 level 2 chars come in though. It's dumb to boot for low level in bronze though (where else are you supposed to go?). Hell, when I promoted my quarian infiltrator I took the level 1 to silver and I did fine lol

Of course there is really no "skill level" stat. Even with level 19's and 20's you sometimes end up with lobbies like this:

lv20.jpg

I don't really know what they were doing but they were all on the top platform getting flanked from 3 directions so I had to go indoors and clear it out every wave. If I didn't they'd be attacked constantly from enemies spawning behind them. I don't even know if they recognized that I was doing this for them.. they all seemed so oblivious lol

Some people's char info mention Battlefield rather than the race they play. EA hiccup or haxors?

Special soldier unlock for PC/360 if you have online pass from BF3 on the same platform.

Not joining Silver/Gold with a char that's not 20 yet, it annoys me to hell when other people are doing it.

If you know what you're doing, silver is not that much harder than bronze and it gives a lot better payouts (30k instead of ~15?). Anything over level 10 should be able to do silver if you play carefully. I'd probably wait until 13-15 for gold but you don't have to wait all the way until 20.

Edit: Is there a listing with all items you can acquire in MP?
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Multiplayer#Pack_Contents

Doesn't have everything yet. It is missing some weapon mods iirc but it has most of the stuff.

If they're N7 50+, I don't really mind if they're less than level 10. It sucks when N7 2 level 2 chars come in though. It's dumb to boot for low level in bronze though (where else are you supposed to go?). Hell, when I promoted my quarian infiltrator I took the level 1 to silver and I did fine lol

What does that number after N7 mean exactly? I just started messing with MP last night and was curious.

eek5

What does that number after N7 mean exactly? I just started messing with MP last night and was curious.

It's how many times you leveled (and +10 for each char you promote) so 50 means they've gotten 50 levels spread over all their characters (or 40 w/ one promotion).

orion434

Also is there a limit to how many promotions you can do? How much points do your promoted character contribute to the War Assets?

eek5

Also is there a limit to how many promotions you can do? How much points do your promoted character contribute to the War Assets?

I don't think so.

75 points.

Also somewhat unrelated but respec cards clear out ALL distributed points compared to promoting which leaves you with 1 point in the first skill. Basically a respec card will allow you to build an engineer with everything maxed except combat drone. I'm probably going to use my respec card on that.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Checked the OP but didn't see anything on this. I'm sure it's been asked a million times though.

Around how many times do you have to play this mode to max out your single player campaign readiness number?

eek5

Checked the OP but didn't see anything on this. I'm sure it's been asked a million times though.

Around how many times do you have to play this mode to max out your single player campaign readiness number?

I believe you can get up to 7% per match so as little as 8 matches and probably as many as 17.

You can get the bonus even without beating all 10 waves IIRC

orion434

I don't think so.

75 points.

Also somewhat unrelated but respec cards clear out ALL distributed points compared to promoting which leaves you with 1 point in the first skill. Basically a respec card will allow you to build an engineer with everything maxed except combat drone. I'm probably going to use my respec card on that.

Why only the combat drone? I love my drone. So if you did this 100 times it would give you 7500 War Assets?

Ken

GAF name: Westraid
XBL: Westraid

I'm still leveling characters and learning how to play them efficiently, so those of you looking for friends to play silver/gold with might not want to add me right now.
I'll send you a FR later today. My GT is CAPCPOM. I just promoted all my characters so I'm back at low levels with them all too.

The Battlefield 3 thing is a bonus soldier character for owning BF3.

Also, where does the Disciple rank in the shotgun world? 2nd...3rd? I got one for my vanguard in my first booster pack and need to know how excited to be about it.

eek5

Why only the combat drone? I love my drone. So if you did this 100 times it would give you 7500 War Assets?

Well if you're maxing incinerate and overload you don't really need the drone. Right now it puts 1 point in it by default so you're left with extra points and you can't max the power/health stuff. I rather respec and take the drone out completely then use female soldier for a drone build.

Ken

Also, where does the Disciple rank in the shotgun world? 2nd...3rd? I got one for my vanguard in my first booster pack and need to know how excited to be about it.
Decent punch for a shotgun, but its best attribute is that it's light. Great for classes that use powers.

Unfortunately it looks like giant cake icing decorator thing so I can't use it without feeling silly.

I played with a guy hacking the geth last night, such an annoying experience... every 2 seconds. Don't shoot *insert geth* it's on our side.

A lot of people have no idea that the Sabotage power even exists, so I get where he's coming from. However, once you increase it to do explosive damage when a controlled Geth is destroyed, it ends up being less of a concern, because you're at least getting some benefit from your teammates destroying your Geth.

eek5

A lot of people have no idea that the Sabotage power even exists, so I get where he's coming from. However, once you increase it to do explosive damage when a controlled Geth is destroyed, it ends up being less of a concern, because you're at least getting some benefit from your teammates destroying your Geth.

People like that are silly though. They just want to get the most points. I don't really care when people kill my hacked enemies. Hell, I will even knock shields off my pyros and rocket troopers and sabo enemies attacking my teammates. Sabotage is really just crowd control. Yeah, if no one is interfering you can get them in a civil war but killing them all is fast too (if not faster).

If he really wanted the kills he could work for it by cloaking, sprinting where people aren't and sabotaging those enemies.

The only time I find it annoying and may complain is when people kill hacked cerberus turrets.

People like that are silly though. They just want to get the most points. I don't really care when people kill my hacked enemies.

It's not about getting the most points, it's about playing the smartest. On bronze, it probably doesn't matter (even with a shitty team, you could solo Geth with Sabotage), but on higher difficulty levels it makes no sense to attack enemies that are under your control and aren't attacking you currently. Focus on the other guys first, then take down the controlled Geth. I'm not saying people should go out of their way to not kill controlled Geth, just choose another target if you see one.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Doesn't take that long to get to 20.

It's also nice that there's a human male and female to experiment a few builds with.

Any tips for playing a Human adept?

Was going to say this, every class/race right out the gates has one free respec by playing the other human/sex combo haha.

That's nothing.

Worse still are the 1st to 9th level characters signing up for a Gold challenge. : /

I joined a Geth Gold game last night and was almost immediately kicked, I had two red X on my name before my screen even loaded. I had to plead over mic to stay, and conince them I was willing to use my level 3 mods and go all out. I was only level 12 Hum/Eng. We won, it was awesome, my first Gold game win! I was about 8k less score than the next guy that was level 18 Salarian. I picked up a Spectre pack and a Vet pack. Got the pistol that shoots prox mines? I dunno didn't have time to try it out yet.

derFeef

That's nothing.

Worse still are the 1st to 9th level characters signing up for a Gold challenge. : /

It's not the palyers fault if the std. setting is random and it throws them into a gold one.

I made a bronze game, some high lvl duders joined and wanted to kick me immediately. THIS is worse.

eek5

It's not about getting the most points, it's about playing the smartest. On bronze, it probably doesn't matter (even with a shitty team, you could solo Geth with Sabotage), but on higher difficulty levels it makes no sense to attack enemies that are under your control and aren't attacking you currently. Focus on the other guys first, then take down the controlled Geth. I'm not saying people should go out of their way to not kill controlled Geth, just choose another target if you see one.

I get what you are saying but on gold everything has so much health that it doesn't really matter imo. The people who constantly whine about it in my experience also whine when shooting the hacked geth is the right thing to do. When you stick together, everyone has similar line of sight. The whiners hack the closest geth then compllain that you killed it. I always go out of my way to target geth people can't see or cloak and go around corners and hack those geths and have never had an issue. You know what I do when people kill my hacked geth? I hack another one. I'm not saying people shouldn't try not to attack hacked stuff but it is going to happen and quarians need to just accept that.

RyanDG

I almost beat gold on the PS3 last night with a random group (only time I've beaten it so far is when I organized with a couple of friends). It got pretty intense, including several times when it was down solely to myself (playing human engie) and a Salarian engineer vs 2 Geth Primes and a bunch of cannon fodder. We probably would've cleared it had one of the players we picked up hung out around the central station in the Firebase map with the rest of us, as we had the corridors pretty much locked down.

Got to the final objective (Wave 10) and ended up getting a hacking mission with 2 Primes, a crap ton of Pyros/Hunters. Still almost pulled it off, but we couldn't spam the drones/decoys fast enough to keep them off of us.

The only complaint I think I have with multiplayer is that the consumables (medigel, rockets, ammo refill, etc.) should be purchasable outside of packs for a credit cost just to make sure people load up on them before missions.

I'm probably going to hang out a bit with the PS3 multiplayer tonight around 6:30 pm est, so if any fellow PS3 Gaffers will be around go ahead and hit me up on PSN (RyanDG82).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Start with recruit packs to build up some consumables and weapon mods then move to veteran packs imo
Yeah I started out by buying 3 Spectre packs and I think you should invest in Veteran packs earlier on to get those upgrades. I look silly in lobbies with my modless default guns, living on a prayer for something nice in a Spectre pack.

Will probably go for a few Veterans next time I decide to jump into multiplayer.

Rocked a couple of silver missions back to back with my Quarian Inflitrator. Geth, obviously, cause that is how I roll. Might try a Gold challenge Geth to see how I can do.

I redid my build. This build gives up a ton in terms of damage/headshots/cloaked damage, but it allows me to sabotage, line up a shot, and then shoot before I lose cloak. Works better against Geth, worse against everything else.

Unfortunately I am still using the Mantis. I find nothing but shotgun and assault rifle mods.

I don't want to be a dick or anything, but I've only gotten 3 spectre packs so far, and the first one i got geth plasma shotty, 2nd i got quarian infiltrator and salarian engineer and the disciple or w.e, and the 3rd one I got asari adept and grael spike shotgun. So i'm really surprised. I thought they were going to be a gimmick and absolute waste of money to trick people into buying this shit. But I have to say I've actually gotten very very good stuff from only a couple of them so idk. Might actually be worth it *shrug*

And as for the new DLC classes and what not. I think that would be really cool and worth it, if they are distinctly different from the other classes that we have right now. If just adding like 1 different ability, i don't think it would really be worth it. But ya it would be pretty weird and i bet confusing to play as a get vs. the geth hahaha :p

You're making the same point that the other poster is making though: You've bought three spectre packs and have made out like a bandit; he's put in arguably more time and credits, and has nothing to show for it. That's what being a slave to the random number generator means: In the end, there are going to be big winners (you) and big losers (him). Putting all of the weapon advancement out of player control means that some people are going to really loathe the system precisely because there are other people out there who get everything easily, while they can't seem to get what they are going for.

Kenaras

Human Adept Shockwave is broke.

I'm still trying to pinpoint the breaking criteria, but every single game I use the human adept the Shockwave will stop functioning before wave 10 is completed. It's so frustrating because the first half of the game is glorious with crowds of enemies falling to my biotic ability. But later when the shit hits the fan and I need it more than ever, it just doesn't work. It isn't just me, either... here are some other threads I found about it

bioware social

gamespot forum

different BW social

I've demonstrated it to other people in the game and they see the same problem: shockwave "fires" and looks right, but nothing happens. sigh. Adepts beware

It's not a bug with Human Adepts, it's a bug with the Radius evolution path of Shockwave. Of course, since no Human Vanguard in his right mind would level up his Shockwave high enough to spec for Radius, Human Adepts are usually the only ones affected. This bug existed in the demo and was reported, but never fixed. What happens is every time you cast a Shockwave, there's a chance the bug will trigger. Once it does, Shockwave is broken for the rest of the match. It'll show the graphic and play the sound effect, but it will have no other effects.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9460611/1

If you can respec out of Radius, your Shockwave will work reliably.

For those complaining about the option to purchase Spectre packs... it's a natural evolution of the video games industry. The average age of gamers nowadays is over 30... and this is the time when many people have marriages, kids, longterm careers, etc. These people still want to play video games but no longer have the time to grind out what it takes to be successful at a game they enjoy. In essence, time > money for them, so the option to spend a few bucks to save hours and hours of time is an option they would happily take. It's also the reason why DLC like "unlock guns/customization options for the Soldier class" in Battlefield 3 or "unlock all these cars" in Forza exist. For those with less money but more time, well you still have the ability to grind out those packs and stay on the same playing field. Everyone has access to the same content but have options to maximize their resources on how they want to achieve it... it's great if you ask me.

And as for the random element to the booster packs... well, sports cards and collectible card games have been doing this for *decades*, so this is nothing different.

RyanDG

And as for the random element to the booster packs... well, sports cards and collectible card games have been doing this for *decades*, so this is nothing different.

I don't mind the randomness. I just wish they had the option to buy specific things on the side such as lower tiered weapon mods or guns without digging through randomness. Keep the super rare stuff and characters random - I don't mind that at all...

Ken

Comparison of ME3's booster packs to real life card collecting/TCGs is lost because the former doesn't have trading. In the latter, you could get around the random nature of packs by holding on to your money and paying more to get specific rare cards individually through other people. If I wanted the M-99 Saber, I'd have to put out a ton of credits or real money for a chance at it, and become frustrated when I don't get it. On the other hand, if someone really wanted a rare card from a TCG, they have the option to risk investing money into booster boxes for it or go the safe route and buy it from someone at a high price.

I don't mind the randomness. I just wish they had the option to buy specific things on the side such as lower tiered weapon mods or guns without digging through randomness. Keep the super rare stuff and characters random - I don't mind that at all...

That just opens the floodgates though... then the clamor will be "why would I pay $XX for a damn Mantis when I want a Widow?!??!"

Comparison of ME3's booster packs to real life card collecting/TCGs is lost because the former doesn't have trading. In the latter, you could get around the random nature of packs by holding on to your money and paying more to get specific rare cards individually through other people. If I wanted the M-99 Saber, I'd have to put out a ton of credits or real money for a chance at it, and become frustrated when I don't get it. On the other hand, if someone really wanted a rare card from a TCG, they have the option to risk investing money into booster boxes for it or go the safe route and buy it from someone at a high price.

That is entirely true, the trading element is lost. But digital content nowadays is valued just as much as tangible content, in large part due to the convenience factor. And even if you buy sports cards/CCG, you may not always have access to a vendor that sells individual cards... or if you do, it's nowhere near as convenient as sitting on your couch and deciding how much you want to spend.

For those complaining about the option to purchase Spectre packs... it's a natural evolution of the video games industry. The average age of gamers nowadays is over 30... and this is the time when many people have marriages, kids, longterm careers, etc. These people still want to play video games but no longer have the time to grind out what it takes to be successful at a game they enjoy. In essence, time > money for them, so the option to spend a few bucks to save hours and hours of time is an option they would happily take. It's also the reason why DLC like "unlock guns/customization options for the Soldier class" in Battlefield 3 or "unlock all these cars" in Forza exist. For those with less money but more time, well you still have the ability to grind out those packs and stay on the same playing field. Everyone has access to the same content but have options to maximize their resources on how they want to achieve it... it's great if you ask me.

I'm in the over-30 crowd with a wife, kid, house, career, etc., and little time to game, but I really dislike the purchasing of unlocks. I've got plenty of disposable income, but it just seems silly to spend money on something like Spectre packs (DLC prices are bad enough as it is).

The biggest problem I have with monetizing the unlock system is that it shaped the decisions Bioware made. I think credits would have been a little easier to earn, or Starter/Veteran/Spectre packs would have been a little cheaper, if Bioware wasn't trying to give people an incentive to spend money to get unlocks. It really clouds the entire unlock system they have. And, in some ways, it's far worse than say, paid Battlefield unlocks, where you know exactly what you're getting when you pay for it. This is essentially gambling $1 or $2 at a time. Sure, you're hoping you can pull a Quarian Infiltrator from that Veteran pack you just bought, but you're just as likely to get an Avenger upgrade and a shotgun mod.

In short, I liked the unlock system fine in the demo, but now that they've monetized it for the retail version, it makes me very skeptical of the design choices they made.

Top Bottom