• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Ok, explain to me how game design was "altered". I'd love to hear your explanation on that.

It's very simple. In every game in which there are unlocks, designers have to decide how you get those unlocks and with what speed you get them. Let's take the multiplayer juggernaut Call of Duty for example. For each game, they've had to decide how you earn experience points and how quickly you unlock new weapons/items. Similarly, you unlock weapon attachments, strike packages, and those types of things. Fortunately, Activision has not resorted to paid unlocks, so the designers are simply able to gauge what the best playtime-to-reward strategy is in a vacuum, with no extraneous factors affecting them.

Now, look at Bioware's design of ME3's multiplayer. The whole thing was built on the premise of paid unlocks. The unlock system is random. It's very easy to get duplicates of items or to get items you have no need/interest in. You could spend 40 hours in the game, open 100 Spectre packs, and still not unlock everything.

The whole system is built on encouraging you to spend money for unlocks. What would the system have looked like without the paid unlocks in mind? Would Spectre packs have still cost 60k in credits? Would you only get 35k in credits after beating Silver? Would unlocks be totally random? Would you be able to pull 10 levels of a sub-par shotgun from a pack? Would you be unlocking the same alien race and class multiple times and only get appearance bonuses for each? All these things have to be put in question when Bioware's motive is generating more profit rather than providing the best possible experience.

Obviously the "best" game design is subjective anyway. Maybe some designers would have done exactly what Bioware chose to do even without paid unlocks motivating them, I don't know. I doubt it, though. In my opinion, the ME3 multiplayer is not as good as it could have been if Bioware had been more focused on giving gamers a great experience rather than maximizing profit.

Alright, that's it. I'm done. Rebut if you'd like, but no further questions. I've said enough and polluted this thread too much as it is.

Sectus

Well, I'll have to say. I was mad as hell when I found out I had to play the online part to get the best ending. Still pretty pissed about it, to be honest.

But, I'm having a decent time with the online portion. Really wish it wasn't being forced on me, but other than that, people work together really well and it's a fairly painless experience.

It is possible to reach the best ending by only playing singleplayer. It's also possible to get all achievements without ever touching the multiplayer.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It is possible to reach the best ending by only playing singleplayer. It's also possible to get all achievements without ever touching the multiplayer.

Well, if that's changed since the first week of responses from fans, so be it. That was what was being reported by fans across the internet...before people started bitching about the ending. I stopped visiting those threads since I'm not done with SP, and after people start complaining about an ending...spoilers are bound to happen.

eek5

Got another lobby where everyone had mics and talked. Helped 2 guys beat their first gold match. They wanted to switch to silver at the beginning and didn't think they could do it. Feels good man!

I got a quarian infiltrator out of a veteran pack as well. no turians of any kind yet for me, though

QI is uncommon. You should be able to get all the characters in veteran pack but rare (gold) only seems to come up about 10% of the time in my experience. If you're just looking to get an uncommon character, veteran packs are probably better since you can get 3 of them for the price of 1 spectre.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Multiplayer#Pack_Contents

tEsI5.png

Yikes.. ok, where to begin..

It's very simple. In every game in which there are unlocks, designers have to decide how you get those unlocks and with what speed you get them. Let's take the multiplayer juggernaut Call of Duty for example. For each game, they've had to decide how you earn experience points and how quickly you unlock new weapons/items. Similarly, you unlock weapon attachments, strike packages, and those types of things. Fortunately, Activision has not resorted to paid unlocks, so the designers are simply able to gauge what the best playtime-to-reward strategy is in a vacuum, with no extraneous factors affecting them.

Ok, picking COD's system is the worst possible comparison. It's not even a co-op game, for one. If ME3's system existed in COD it would absolutely be unfair. Why? Because you compete with other people. You compete with the other side by shooting them in the head and you compete with teammates for the leaderboard. Absolutely someone would have an unfair advantage with a purchase system.

The next reason it's a terrible comparison is because most of the best unlocks are skill-based. Like get 50 headshots, or shoot down 10 air support. This system heavily favors those with more Time than anyone else... and that's it.

Third reason why it's an uneven comparison? The unlocks aren't even random. It's not like you get 10 headshots then the system rolls the die on what kind of SMG you unlock. There are a million games out there that have random loot structures and you pick COD?

Now, look at Bioware's design of ME3's multiplayer. The whole thing was built on the premise of paid unlocks. The unlock system is random. It's very easy to get duplicates of items or to get items you have no need/interest in. You could spend 40 hours in the game, open 100 Spectre packs, and still not unlock everything.

Agreed with everything, except for the premise of "paid unlocks." No, this is not true at all and you agreed with it in your previous posts as well. You. Don't. Have. To. Spend. Money. To. Get. Stuff. That is irrefutable. If you can invest Time, you can unlock the same things the next person unlocks with Money. How is that a difficult concept to comprehend?

The whole system is built on encouraging you to spend money for unlocks. What would the system have looked like without the paid unlocks in mind? Would Spectre packs have still cost 60k in credits? Would you only get 35k in credits after beating Silver? Would unlocks be totally random? Would you be able to pull 10 levels of a sub-par shotgun from a pack? Would you be unlocking the same alien race and class multiple times and only get appearance bonuses for each?

Why are you talking about pricing? Isn't your entire argument that the system is broken because of the existence of paid unlocks? And even if the system had no paid unlocks, that's fine... because countless other games have used the same system. Instead of getting your loot after you kill an enemy, you get it at the end of the round. I've said this before.

All these things have to be put in question when Bioware's motive is generating more profit rather than providing the best possible experience.

And you never addressed the fact that Bioware can achieve BOTH of these at the same time. Yes, it's more than possible to make money while ensuring your customer is happy. By including this option, you actually widen your customer base. If the system only rewarded Time, then you're cutting out that person who works 14 hour days, or has two kids in soccer practice, or travels for their job. These people would have less incentive to play a game where they have to grind out hours just to be on the same playing field, because they physically can't invest those hours with their lifestyle. So if Bioware can reach those customers and make them happy while making money for themselves... isn't that a win/win situation?

Obviously the "best" game design is subjective anyway. Maybe some designers would have done exactly what Bioware chose to do even without paid unlocks motivating them, I don't know. I doubt it, though. In my opinion, the ME3 multiplayer is not as good as it could have been if Bioware had been more focused on giving gamers a great experience rather than maximizing profit.

How is other people getting these unlocks through money affecting YOUR game experience? Again, ME3's coop system is absolutely perfect for this Time-or-Money unlock system. If it means that random you're playing with has a Black Widow instead of a Mantis (because he could only invest Money, not Time) then it helps YOU, because you have that much more chance of beating that round. What if he ends up scoring more than you? That's fine, because you get the same amount of XP and credits. And if he unlocks a Geth Pulse Shotgun in his Spectre pack that he bought? That's fine, because it has zero bearing on your chances of getting the same thing. There is absolutely ZERO drawback on playing with others that have great equipment, and in fact there's ONLY tangible benefits. Having a paid Spectre pack system actually FEEDS into this coop system because if your teammates have the best stuff (regardless of how they acquired it) it helps YOU.

Just another case when you choose to nitpick against something without looking at the whole.

Alright, that's it. I'm done. Rebut if you'd like, but no further questions. I've said enough and polluted this thread too much as it is.

That's your prerogative. I have no issues compromising or backing down when given legitimate evidence (like the person that challenged me on how the game educates you on the different packs), but I have yet to see you provide any legitimate counterpoints.

Ken

Warp and Overload don't combo into anything? Kind of wish I didn't choose to increase explosions on Warp...

That's your prerogative. I have no issues compromising or backing down when given legitimate evidence (like the person that challenged me on how the game educates you on the different packs), but I have yet to see you provide any legitimate counterpoints.

Dude, just stop. You're wrong, move on. I've consistently pointed out the flaws in your arguments, and you ignore them every time. I said I'm done with this bullshit, it's time to move on yourself, son. I can't keep rehashing the same talking points that go right over your head.

Dude, just stop. You're wrong, move on. I've consistently pointed out the flaws in your arguments, and you ignore them every time. I said I'm done with this bullshit, it's time to move on yourself, son. I can't keep rehashing the same talking points that go right over your head.

I picked apart every single one of your last several points with detailed arguments and you consistently avoid every single one of mine. Let me know where the "flaws" in my arguments are, and I'll show you a counterpoint that I already typed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If I get to 100% readiness, will it stay there?

I thought it decayed 1% each day, but I got to 97% a few days ago and it dropped like 6-7% in two days :|

GSR

wait, really? you just punch em to death and there's no danger?

If an enemy walks up to the other side of cover you're crouching behind, you can hit the melee button to pull them over and OHKO them. Obviously doesn't work on the big enemies, but it works fine on Geth Pyros.

Sectus

I'm gonna sound a bit ignorant, but I see some kills being attributed to "tech burst" and "biotic explosion". How are those triggered? By using 2 powers of the same type in a row at the same spot?

Achtius

I'm gonna sound a bit ignorant, but I see some kills being attributed to "tech burst" and "biotic explosion". How are those triggered? By using 2 powers of the same type in a row at the same spot?

Just a combo where you use a biotic power to infect an effect on the enemy, then another to cause it to detonate

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Biotic_Explosions

I assume Tech Burst is the same. but for tech powers (Overload-> Incinerate)? not sure XD

Yeah, a tech burst is a combination of tech powers (like Overload and Sabotage), while biotic explosions are a combination of biotic powers (like Stasis and Warp). These are always ideal because they explode (damaging others nearby) as well as dealing massive damage to the original target.

However, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, certain powers from the two types can combine to detonate right? With the type (either tech burst or biotic explosion) being whatever the first power used is? In other words, using Overload on an enemy that was Pulled first will be a biotic explosion (not sure if that combo works, just an example).

If an enemy walks up to the other side of cover you're crouching behind, you can hit the melee button to pull them over and OHKO them. Obviously doesn't work on the big enemies, but it works fine on Geth Pyros.

Yeah this. crouch behind cover, and a geth pyro will usually just flamethrow you while directly walking to your position. Allowing you to press and hold B when the first icon qte pops. It's an instant kill, regardless of what kind of armor or shielding it has.

Hey guys,

I know some of you are BOUND to have explored the granular minutiae of success in silver/gold based on maps and opponents. It can't be as easy as "stick together"--so where is this intense breakdown!?!

Thanks,

A concerned citizen.

Here's a tech burst list I found on Gamefaqs, most of it follows with my experience.
FIRE EXPLOSION
-Can be set up by: Incinerate, Carnage, Inferno Grenade, Incendiary Ammo
-Can be detonated with any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers that can deal direct damage (except for the powers that are used to set up the combo).
-Effect: Enemies effected by any of the fire based powers, cause an AoE fire explosion, once they are killed by a direct damage power. The effect is similar to blowing up Pyros with Overload in ME2.
-Note: Enemy MUST be killed by the second power, in order to cause a Fire Explosion. E.G. it will not work, if an enemy is hit by Incinerate --> Overload, and still has HP left after that. So, in this case, Overload would have to do sufficient damage to outright kill a burning enemy, in order to cause a Fire Explosion.

CRYO EXPLOSION
-Can be set up by: Cryo Blast, Cryo Ammo
-Can be detonated with any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers that can deal direct damage.
-Effect: Frozen enemies killed by damage based powers, cause an AoE cryo explosion, freezing any enemy that is nearby.
-Note: Same as Fire Exlplosion, frozen enemies MUST be killed by the second power in order to trigger Cryo Explosion.

TECH BURST
-Can be set up by: Overload, Energy Drain, Disruptor Ammo, Sabotage
-Can be detonated by any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers taht can deal direct damage (except for the powers that are used to set up the combo).
-Effect: Enemies effected by electricity based powers, discharge multiple electricity bolts to nearby enemies, when hit with direct damage powers. Effect is similar to Overload's Chain Overload upgrade.
-Note: Unlike Fire & Cryo Explosion combos, this one doesn't require an enemy to be killed by the second power. E.G. enemy hit by Overload --> Incinerate will produce Tech Burst, wheter he is killed by Incinerate or not.

The "Tech burst" can create a pretty insane chain reaction, and can stagger 4 or 5 guys if they are bunched up. Great for crowd control, especially if you have a multi shot overload already going off, you can easily damage and stagger 5-6 guys at once.

Hey guys,

I know some of you are BOUND to have explored the granular minutiae of success in silver/gold based on maps and opponents. It can't be as easy as "stick together"--so where is this intense breakdown!?!

Thanks,

A concerned citizen.

SECONDED. I can do well up to level 10, but then we get swamped, trapped and killed. Even using both rockets and saving all my other gear set up properly, I just watch my team hopelessly flail around. Last time I tried I personally killed 4 banshees and 2 brutes with rockets before I got pushed from the main group and swamped by the shielded dudes.

Orca

INow, look at Bioware's design of ME3's multiplayer. The whole thing was built on the premise of paid unlocks. The unlock system is random. It's very easy to get duplicates of items or to get items you have no need/interest in. You could spend 40 hours in the game, open 100 Spectre packs, and still not unlock everything.

That discourages spending excessive money on it. You'd have a point in this whole tunnel vision thing you've got going on about the subject if, in fact, they offered differentiation between paid and 'in-game' packs, where paid would only unlock new things. They don't. Your entire premise of it being made that way specifically to encourage purchases is based on nothing but your single-minded desire to MAKE it based on that. You have no proof at all, and your ranting actually makes it seem less desirable to spend real money on random packs.

There are carrots and sticks in nearly every multiplayer component to games these days. It's not to get you to spend money, it's to get you to keep playing.

Here's a tech burst list I found on Gamefaqs, most of it follows with my experience.

The "Tech burst" can create a pretty insane chain reaction, and can stagger 4 or 5 guys if they are bunched up. Great for crowd control, especially if you have a multi shot overload already going off, you can easily damage and stagger 5-6 guys at once.

That sounds awesome. But let me get this straight, my sentinel has overload (specced to jump targets) and warp--so if I overload a dude, I can just use warp on them and it'll zap the shit out of them AND the explosion will chain to the dudes around them?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't understand why this is a big deal. You've been able to purchase 'competitive edges' on many games for a while now.

There is no competition in this game. The only metric tracked is time played.

I do get a kick out of people complaining about pack prices, as if they have any data whatsoever to make a valid analysis with. If you think the packs are too expensive in terms of credits play some other game where you can achieve your goals with less effort. Go try World of Tanks, you'll be writing 5 page editorials after the first week.

The random nature of the packs makes anybody with even a smidgin of self-control realize that spending real money on them is a bad idea. Makes it pretty obvious that option was just added for the people who have more money than either brains or time.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

A concerned citizen.

One tip: Learn the spawn points. Don't always run to the same spot every time; if you learn where they spawn, you can camp those spots and pick them off one by one. However, the game does seem to detect where players are and tries to spawn *away* from those points... and sometimes it doesn't matter. For example, the white map in the demo. If you're sitting right in the landing pad they can still spawn, but if you're on the opposite corner (near those two walkways that no one uses) then they tend not to spawn in that room. So what I'll sometimes do is wait in the corner next to the ammo box outside, that overlooks both the corner with the walkways and the main walkway. Then when enemies spawn you have a perfect vantage point to pick them off individually as they walk out of either room entrance. These are the points you want to be at: close enough to take them out one by one, but far enough away for them to actually spawn there.

Ken

SECONDED. I can do well up to level 10, but then we get swamped, trapped and killed. Even using both rockets and saving all my other gear set up properly, I just watch my team hopelessly flail around. Last time I tried I personally killed 4 banshees and 2 brutes with rockets before I got pushed from the main group and swamped by the shielded dudes.

I like to split up from the group and take out stranded enemies. I guess some people dislike that because I won't be around to pick up downed allies, but constantly reviving allies in the middle of brutes, banshees, cannibals, and marauders all shooting at one spot is pointless.

One tip: Learn the spawn points. Don't always run to the same spot every time; if you learn where they spawn, you can camp those spots and pick them off one by one. However, the game does seem to detect where players are and tries to spawn *away* from those points... and sometimes it doesn't matter. For example, the white map in the demo. If you're sitting right in the landing pad they can still spawn, but if you're on the opposite corner (near those two walkways that no one uses) then they tend not to spawn in that room. So what I'll sometimes do is wait in the corner next to the ammo box outside, that overlooks both the corner with the walkways and the main walkway. Then when enemies spawn you have a perfect vantage point to pick them off individually as they walk out of either room entrance. These are the points you want to be at: close enough to take them out one by one, but far enough away for them to actually spawn there.

Yea, that's a pretty big thing in earlier waves, how about when you have to move to hit objectives? Do you take position, take out the first wave, then proceed? Or do you try to move as a group to targets/devices?

Ya, and this is why I can be successful on "White"--you've got good vantage to the spawns and it's almost like playing Tower Defense picking them off before they get up. But when it comes to the wandering objectives...?

That sounds awesome. But let me get this straight, my sentinel has overload (specced to jump targets) and warp--so if I overload a dude, I can just use warp on them and it'll zap the shit out of them AND the explosion will chain to the dudes around them?

I haven't seen it with biotics, but with incinerate it works like a charm. Not a huge damage boost, but it throws a group of enemies into total disarray.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, decay can kiss my fucking working, grown man, hirsute ass.

You get punished for having a life outside of ME3? What the fuck is this shit?????

eek5

Thanks for this. Looks like I'll be using my disruptor ammo w/ my engie class from now on. I've gotten some crazy tech burst chain reactions too. My favorite is when 3-4 geth hunters pile up and I get a good energy drain on them then blow them up with incinerate

This happens a lot less on gold which is why I kind of prefer it. On bronze and silver, the waves are easy until the end so people just go off on their own wrecking stuff and lose all team concept. Running around messes up spawns too and makes each wave completely unpredictable which becomes problematic later on.

For objective waves, it's a crapshoot. I base that decision on if I'm a class that is reasonably sturdy on its own (like human vanguard or any infiltrator). If that's my class then ill try to be a bit separate so i can hit the objective immediately... Especially if it's the one with 4 disarms, as that one can be a BITCH if your team isn't near the first one (and is near a spawn point). Separating from your team early lowers the chance that it's a spwan point the AI uses.

eek5

Yea, that's a pretty big thing in earlier waves, how about when you have to move to hit objectives? Do you take position, take out the first wave, then proceed? Or do you try to move as a group to targets/devices?

I like 2 and 2. 2 people move to objective and the other 2 hold down the area you were holding before. The thing with objective rounds is enemies will stop spawning after you finish the objective so it is in your best interest to finish it ASAP. One person dying isn't a huge deal since there will be less enemies than other waves after you finish the objective.

If I'm playing infiltrator usually I'll have 3 people hold down the area and I'll just sprint to the objective, cloak, and get it. If I'm salarian engie I'll be the 2nd person and usually follow the infiltrator that is getting objectives with decoys or just sit in a choke and keep a large group of enemies busy with my decoy.

Mindlog

This is another instance where Turian Sentinel can shine. Get a high RoF weapon, Incendiary ammo and spray a crowd down. Chain bombs are great.

Extracting from the Reapers is a huge pain in the ass. I wish i could carry more than 3 cobra missiles. I'm up to 4 ammo packs! Hooray :\

so where is this intense breakdown!?!
Long story short. Pick Infiltrator.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's more than that. I got up to eat dinner at one point, came back and it was 99% (from one hundred).

I think it's more like 3-5% per day.

(Not making a "this is/is not a game breaking issue" statement here, just pointing out observations.)

It's been consistently 1% a day decrease for me, I keep tabs on it via the iPhone app, it even shows decimal values (98.11% etc.). One Bronze game increases it by 3%, its very easy to keep elevated.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody having problem joining friend's game on Origin tonight? It was working fine last night but now I can't play with my friend. We both get stuck to "Joining game..." and have to do Alt-F4 to quit. That is one person create a private game and invite the other...

Anybody?

Top Bottom