• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

milkham

The sacs are the weak spots?! As in the bright orange ones that carry Swarmers?!
Every time I shoot them, they pop and do no damage to the Ravager. I've come to accept them as similar to the Guardian's shields.

the sacs are not weak spots, i believe if you shoot them in the area that is exposed after they pop that they take more damage, as well as shooting them in the good old eye

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The sacs are the weak spots?! As in the bright orange ones that carry Swarmers?!
Every time I shoot them, they pop and do no damage to the Ravager. I've come to accept them as similar to the Guardian's shields.

Someone told me the sacks are the weakpoints :/. And when my widow does no damage, it always seems to be when I'm hitting them in the head.

milkham

Why dont I have this? I have BF3 on PS3 and the limited edition to count

looks like ps3 owners are screwed on that too

Hi guys,

This should have been made clear when we announced it last week, but just to clarify it Battlefield 3 multiplayer skin is only available on PC and Xbox 360, not PS3. This is due to the same technical limitations that prevented us from including PS3 in the Recruitment program. Apologies for not making that clear previously, and we regret that we can't extend the unlock to all owners.

Someone told me the sacks are the weakpoints :/. And when my widow does no damage, it always seems to be when I'm hitting them in the head.

I have noticed something similar, but usually I do massive damage when I shoot them in the head, so I just say fuck it and shoot it again.

I always avoid the sack, because swarmers devastate my infiltrator, even while cloaked, because I only have my one shot rifle, and the shield regeneration delay is pretty dangerous. They inevitably pop, but usually I have enough distance to get away.

Orca

Maybe you should follow the Vanguard instead? I mean, Vanguard is pretty much the best class in the game, like them or not, they score the most points for a reason.

They score the most points because they have an instant charge move that ignores cover and an AOE attack they can spam alternately to do damage to multiple enemies at once. If 'so simple a monkey could play it' is the 'best' class, so be it :p

/teaminfiltrator

Sober

From what I read on the ME wiki, the spots behind the sacs are the "true" weak points. I've tried it for a few games and it sure feels like it is, I've been bursting ravagers down faster with a raptor faster than with a Mattock with AP ammo rank2 equipped.

You should burst the sacs anyway, since that'll stop them from spawning more swarmers (follow up with an AOE spell or cast stasis bubble on top of it), but the main thing is to shoot at least the front sac and unload on the spot behind it.

So, Salarian Engineer. I'm playing with a pistol (Predator only, le sigh) and throwing out bullets like candy behind a decoy, drain on recharge

Sniper rifle better? At least until I get the Carnifex?

It seems like this strategy it is better not to use cover, and the decoy acts as cover, essentially. Am I missing something, aside from the potential that somebody flanks or comes up from behind you? Is this no longer viable on Silver/Gold?
Any scoped pistol will do or a sniper rifle since that is a Salarian thing - as long as your recharge is low. I have a level 9 Raptor which is about +150% recharge speed. Energy Drain is easily spammable (like 2.5 seconds which is how long a stagger is from getting hit by one, long enough to line up some headshots). I am probably going to respec for headshots/more weapon damage, but make sure you have max energy drain, max incinerate and at least 3 in decoy. Whatever is best at the moment, pistol + scope or sniper rifle.

Decoy works almost like cloak for infiltrators - if they see you use it, they won't fall for it. You can use it from cover btw, but it depends on positioning. They don't care if the decoy just came out of nowhere, all they care is if they saw you while it was cast as far as I can tell.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Actually I think shooting the sacs is a bad idea. 2-3 Widow rounds to the main eye kills it without releasing a bunch of swarmers. Basically I think the sacs are traps for people with low accuracy. ;)

X-Frame

Do more gold matches :p If you can get to wave 10, you get at least 70k for ~35 minutes of play, thats only 7 matches for 420k :)

And you get the same amount of credits as you would get in Silver by completing only Wave 6 correct?

After the Geth buff, which is the "easiest" class to play Gold on? Or is it still the Geth?

GorillaJu

And you get the same amount of credits as you would get in Silver by completing only Wave 6 correct?

After the Geth buff, which is the "easiest" class to play Gold on? Or is it still the Geth?

Geth is still easiest IMO. Primes are weak and all their units are staggerable. Reapers are hardest.

eek5

Geth is still easiest IMO. Primes are weak and all their units are staggerable. Reapers are hardest.

With randoms, geth is definitely still the easiest. Finding a lobby that can complete cerberus seems like 50/50 chance for me. I can find a lobby that can beat geth 80% of the time usually. Reapers is a lot lower; I finally beat it today with a full adept lobby but it took 5 tries to find the right group of adepts.

Zen

Banned
Man, I've found that Geth are actually very hard with randoms, on silver. It's mostly because of how the rocket geth can blind side people (and almost 2 shot them), as well as the cloaking shotgun ones.

Reaper is relatively easy as long as you focus fire your shit on priority targets, and cerberus seems the easiest.

Cheech

I went with AP Ammo, and then the flamethrower. And I am leveling up Incinerate and carrying a Carnifex so armored enemies hate me.

Toss the sentry turret in a corner and spam Incinerate and everyone lights on fire. Pretty cool.

I am using the Carnifex as well. Looking forward to trying that Quarian Engineer out tonight.

I wish the Carnifex wasn't so rare. I caught myself chasing Spectre packs last night and came up with the long barrel upgrade for it, but no Carnifex II.

Man, I've found that Geth are actually very hard with randoms, on silver. It's mostly because of how the rocket geth can blind side people (and almost 2 shot them), as well as the cloaking shotgun ones.

Reaper is relatively easy as long as you focus fire your shit on priority targets, and cerberus seems the easiest.

yeah, reapers are pretty easy aside from banshees, cerberus you pretty much just need to watch out for phantoms (unless you have an asari adept) and turrets, and geth...you need to deal with rocket dudes, sure, but the biggest blind side enemies I've found are the pyro/hunter packs. those guys will take out a whole team in seconds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Geth is definitely the easiest for me. Despite their differences you can deal with each one the same way. They're all weak to headshots and, as an infiltrator, you can apply the same tactics to the whole group. They can deal great damage when they get a lock on you, but yeah, they don't really have any hook that screws me over.

Cerberus I find are a gamble depending on your group. They're easily manageable if everybody is covering their roles and knows how to prioritise shots. But the variety of units can screw over a group that doesn't know how to best handle big waves.

I have the most trouble with Reapers. The melee focus puts importance on killing them fast before they get too close. Brutes aren't so much of an issue by themselves, but coupled with Ravagers laying down fire and a Banshee phasing in and out you've got trouble. The Reaper units up close can deal a stupid amount of damage very quickly.

eek5

I have the most trouble with Reapers. The melee focus puts importance on killing them fast before they get too close. Brutes aren't so much of an issue by themselves, but coupled with Ravagers laying down fire and a Banshee phasing in and out you've got trouble. The Reaper units up close can deal a stupid amount of damage very quickly.

Marauders are my biggest problem man. Their ROF is so fast and they seem to snipe all your shit down from far away ;_;

RS4-

My problem with reapers is that the game seems to throw more at you at the same time. Multiple ravagers, banshees and brutes.

X-Frame

Gotcha. I'll get my Salarian Engineer to 20 and try them on Gold. My LAST unlock is the Salarian Infiltrator, the one I want the most.

70,000 credits per game, with a good group, is too good to farm credits.

So the Falcon grenade launcher was nerfed? lame, it was one of the few rare guns I found to be worth taking over the common/uncommon guns. I really don't feel any incentive to go after the rarer guns at all tbh, as most weapons weak or ineffectual on gold, at least when they're compared to the class specific powers in-game;just might as well go with a pistol really.

I haven't gotten to play all that much, but I had enough time to clear a Silver match last night and pick up one of those new double Veteran packs. Got a sniper mod, Turian Soldier, and a rare to boot: Salarian Inflitrator. I guess that's cool, although I haven't touched the Infiltrator class yet and I don't have enough good weapons to make it worth playing Soldier...

X-Frame

How exactly do tech and elemental explosions work with ammo powers? I heard you can set off a flame explosion with incinerate and then an ammo power like Cryo ammo, but wondering how to do it exactly.

Do you hit them with incinerate and them just finish them off with the Cryo ammo whilst the burning is still active, killing them, to trigger it?

I feel I need to purposely attempt to set off my tech explosions. I only do them by accident now, and I have tons of ammo amps I never use.

Dave_6

Got an Asari Vanguard in a Recruit pack last night. Any good? If so what is a good build?

I tried to start using my human Vanguard last night (Level 1 lol) and didn't notice the leader had changed it from bronze to silver right before the match began. Needless to say I was useless against the Geth on silver and then they tried to kick me afterwards. Oh well went back to my level 20 human engineer and wrecked everything the next game.

RS4-

Got an Asari Vanguard in a Recruit pack last night. Any good? If so what is a good build?

I tried to start using my human Vanguard last night (Level 1 lol) and didn't notice the leader had changed it from bronze to silver right before the match began. Needless to say I was useless against the Geth on silver and then they tried to kick me afterwards. Oh well went back to my level 20 human engineer and wrecked everything the next game.

stasis bubble. I don't remember what skills to actually use though. I didn't bother leveling up charge though until the very end.

Yea Wave 6 of Gold is about 30k credits. I still think Cerberus is the easiest, mainly because I usually play Asari Adept :3 I really hate trying to deal with swarms of pyros :/ One thing about gold though, is expect to use your items and ammo/weapon boosts

Easiest map I found for Gold is Firebase Dagger, start your team inside the building and have snipers pick off enemies. Its also a great place to funnel enemies into tight areas with stasis bubbles

Found this explanation of all the biotic/tech combos :)

http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-Discussion-/A-list-of-biotic-and-elemental-tech-combos-9629730-1.html

Notes:
-Not all biotic powers are compatible with each other (E.G. Singularity --> Pull will not cause a biotic combo).
-Stasis is unique, because it can bypass defenses (such as shields and barriers), and enemies can be detonated while their defenses are still present. It is, however, completely ineffective vs. armored targets such as Atlas mechs and Turrets.
-Warp & Reave are unique because they can either set up or set off biotic combos. They can also set up combos on enemies with defenses (shields/barriers), so they functions similar to Stasis in this regard. And they are the only two biotic powers in the game, able to set up combos on armored targets, such as Turrets and Atlas mechs.

List of biotic combos below.

-Sigularity --> Warp/Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Stasis --> Warp/Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Pull --> Warp/Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Warp --> Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Lift Grenade --> Warp/Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Shockwave (only with Rank 6 Lifting Shockwave evolution) --> Warp/Throw//Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade/Reave

-Reave - Warp/Throw/Shockwave/Charge/Nova/Cluster Grenade

ELEMENTAL (aka tech) COMBOS
There are also some new combos in ME3, that involve Tech or Combat elemental based powers. It's the same principal as with biotic combos, but they function in a slightly different manner.

FIRE EXPLOSION
-Can be set up by: Incinerate, Carnage, Inferno Grenade, Incendiary Ammo
-Can be detonated with any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers that can deal direct damage (except for the powers that are used to set up the combo).
-Effect: Enemies effected by any of the fire based powers, cause an AoE fire explosion, once they are killed by a direct damage power. The effect is similar to blowing up Pyros with Overload in ME2.
-Note: Enemy MUST be killed by the second power, in order to cause a Fire Explosion. E.G. it will not work, if an enemy is hit by Incinerate --> Overload, and still has HP left after that. So, in this case, Overload would have to do sufficient damage to outright kill a burning enemy, in order to cause a Fire Explosion.

CRYO EXPLOSION
-Can be set up by: Cryo Blast, Cryo Ammo
-Can be detonated with any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers that can deal direct damage.
-Effect: Frozen enemies killed by damage based powers, cause an AoE cryo explosion, freezing any enemy that is nearby.
-Note: Same as Fire Exlplosion, frozen enemies MUST be killed by the second power in order to trigger Cryo Explosion.

TECH BURST
-Can be set up by: Overload, Energy Drain, Sabotage, Disruptor Ammo
-Can be detonated by any Biotic/Tech/Combat powers taht can deal direct damage (except for the powers that are used to set up the combo).
-Effect: Enemies effected by electricity based powers, discharge multiple electricity bolts to nearby enemies, when hit with direct damage powers. Effect is similar to Overload's Chain Overload upgrade.
-Note: Unlike Fire & Cryo Explosion combos, this one doesn't require an enemy to be killed by the second power. E.G. enemy hit by Overload --> Incinerate will produce a Tech Burst, whether he is killed by Incinerate or not.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
SMG with heatsink and extended mag are fun, you can fire the gun for ages till you have to reload.

Shame about the damage heh.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Geth is definitely the easiest for me. Despite their differences you can deal with each one the same way. They're all weak to headshots and, as an infiltrator, you can apply the same tactics to the whole group. They can deal great damage when they get a lock on you, but yeah, they don't really have any hook that screws me over.

Cerberus I find are a gamble depending on your group. They're easily manageable if everybody is covering their roles and knows how to prioritise shots. But the variety of units can screw over a group that doesn't know how to best handle big waves.

Geth's lack of versatility is a big flaw. I'm in agreement... yeah, they can deal out damage quickly but in order for that to happen a lot of people have to do a lot if things wrong. If a bunch of pyros and hunters are in your kitchen and scrambling your eggs, then you're doing it wrong.

Basic knowledge of spawn points and a general idea of how to handle pressure from two angles can get you through just about any Geth wave.

Reapers... on gold, everyone on the must know how and when to kite and have a consensus on what targets are priority. Not mention the skill to be able survive alone for brief stints whenever a position gets overrun. Cerberus is by far the most dangerous when they build up a solid amount of momentum.

X-Frame

Thanks Razgriz.

Do you search specifically for Firebase Dagger?

And I haven't had to use any of my amp items so I'll have quite a stock for when I start on Gold. The elemental explosions seem pretty self explanatory but I feel it will be difficult to do them on purpose since teammates will likely target low health enemies before I get a chance to trigger something.

EatChildren

@DY_nasty: Pretty much. A tactic that works against one Geth works against them all. Keep your spawns covered, aim for the head, and prevent them from grouping and you're set no matter the difficulty. It would be nice if they had an additional unit to break this.

I hope they add in Collectors, Mechs (with some new additions), and maybe Mercenaries. Someone suggested 'beasts' and that would be cook. Vorcha, Rachni, etc.

I'd really love Mechs and Collectors though. Mechs would need expanding with new units, but Collectors almost have a full roster as it is.

• Collector Drone (basic troop)
  • Collector Guardian (set up energy shields, has warp barrior)
  • Collector Assassin (particle beam)
  • Scion (armoured, heavy cannon)
  • Praetorian (super heavy fuck you unit)
  • Mini-Oculus (flying!)

You could even have a Harbinger assuming control gimmick as one of the wave tiers, randomly possessing some of the standard Collector units for a boost, kind of like the way the Marauder buff works though more powerful and based on a single, random unit.

LosDaddie

Banned
I think the game is trying to tell me I need to play the Krogan Sentinel because I've unlocked him in a Vet pack, and now twice in the Premium Vet packs. :lol

But I tried out Human Engineer (even though I have the Salarian Engineer unlocked) last night, and I'm loving it. Drone seems...not as useful as I thought it would be, but Overload is fantastic. I'm probably going to get Incinerate up to level 3 as well. Rocking only the Avenger AR so that my recharge speeds are super quick

Kyoufu

Is it possible to hijack an Atlas in multiplayer?

Also, I wish more people used their cannons to take out the big stuff on the extraction wave.

Thanks Razgriz.

Do you search specifically for Firebase Dagger?

And I haven't had to use any of my amp items so I'll have quite a stock for when I start on Gold. The elemental explosions seem pretty self explanatory but I feel it will be difficult to do them on purpose since teammates will likely target low health enemies before I get a chance to trigger something.

Yea I usually limit my search to Firebase Dagger, some maps are just pretty bad for gold (at least for me). As for explosions, I really only try to trigger them on the bigger opponents, for the smaller ones, you're right, its kind of hard to coordinate them.

GorillaJu

You can search by either (or both) enemy and location. Don't worry about explosions too much. You'll find them happen a lot on bigger mobs since everyone will be focus firing them.

And in Golds a LOT of people run with sniper rifles, even if they aren't infiltrators, since it allows you to spend the least amount of time out of cover and still do good damage.

DY_nasty

@DY_nasty: Pretty much. A tactic that works against one Geth works against them all. Keep your spawns covered, aim for the head, and prevent them from grouping and you're set no matter the difficulty. It would be nice if they had an additional unit to break this.

I hope they add in Collectors, Mechs (with some new additions), and maybe Mercenaries. Someone suggested 'beasts' and that would be cook. Vorcha, Rachni, etc.

I'd really love Mechs and Collectors though. Mechs would need expanding with new units, but Collectors almost have a full roster as it is.

• Collector Drone (basic troop)
  • Collector Guardian (set up energy shields, has warp barrior)
  • Collector Assassin (particle beam)
  • Scion (armoured, heavy cannon)
  • Praetorian (super heavy fuck you unit)
  • Mini-Oculus (flying!)

You could even have a Harbinger assuming control gimmick as one of the wave tiers, randomly possessing some of the standard Collector units for a boost, kind of like the way the Marauder buff works though more powerful and based on a single, random unit.
Collectors would be a great addition. Now that Im thinking back on it, many of ME2s better firefights with them would carry over perfectly.

I'm still shocked that Cerberus got snipers and the Geth didn't get hoppers/sappers.

Orgun

Is it possible to hijack an Atlas in multiplayer?

Also, I wish more people used their cannons to take out the big stuff on the extraction wave.

Nope.

I don't know if you play on PC but all the random groups i've been if people have been using them like they were going out of style. They must have gotten a lot of +1 to max heavy weapon limits.

Kyoufu

Nope.

I don't know if you play on PC but all the random groups i've been if people have been using them like they were going out of style. They must have gotten a lot of +1 to max heavy weapon limits.

I'm on PS3 and rarely do I see people using them. I wish the packs would give me medi-gel capacity upgrades
LLShC.gif

I'm just tired of carrying bad randoms. I sort of wish I had the 360 version to play with GAF.

eek5

worst randoms ever

worstrandoms.jpg

none of them used missiles or medigels at all.. not even in wave 9 and 10! THE FUCK? I soloed 5 geth primes by myself to carry them through wave 9. smh

Epicus Failus

Neo Member
worst randoms ever

worstrandoms.jpg

none of them used missiles or medigels at all.. not even in wave 9 and 10! THE FUCK? I soloed 5 geth primes by myself to carry them through wave 9. smh

Hey man, I played with you yesterday! I'm Evangelion13!
We should play again sometime.

DY_nasty

I'm on PS3 and rarely do I see people using them. I wish the packs would give me medi-gel capacity upgrades
LLShC.gif

I'm just tired of carrying bad randoms. I sort of wish I had the 360 version to play with GAF.
I have the 5 medi-gel capacity and I wish I didn't. It inspired complete fuckery and I ran through dozens of medi-gels for no reason. I'd rather just have the ammo and shield capacity upgrades.

Kyoufu

I have the 5 medi-gel capacity and I wish I didn't. It inspired complete fuckery and I ran through dozens of medi-gels for no reason. I'd rather just have the ammo and shield capacity upgrades.

I don't use them on myself. Just on other players because I can't really afford to sit there reviving.

Top Bottom