• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Kyoufu

I didn't realize you could use your own medigels on other players.

During loading it said you can do it from a distance, so when a teammate died right next to me I pointed at him and pressed down on the d-pad and he got up, but I don't know if it was actually my medi-gel or if he used his own. Assuming it was mine.

exYle

During loading it said you can do it from a distance, so when a teammate died right next to me I pointed at him and pressed down on the d-pad and he got up, but I don't know if it was actually my medi-gel or if he used his own. Assuming it was mine.

Those are typically single-player tips, but if you're right... You may be onto something.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Learn to play betta? :3
5 medi-gel capacity makes you feel like you can simply chug your way through any match.

Then, 5 games later, you realize that you have 1 medi-gel left in your entire inventory and that the Goddess has forsaken you.

It really is painful just how bad the player base is at this game.

Today's example: the Infiltrator in silver who runs around with an assault rifle as his main weapon, uses cryo on protected targets instead of cloak shots with a sniper.

This game really needs some means of filtering them out. Whoever thought I'd miss trueskill?!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Today's example: the Infiltrator in silver who runs around with an assault rifle as his main weapon, uses cryo on protected targets instead of cloak shots with a sniper.

This game really needs some means of filtering them out. Whoever thought I'd miss trueskill?!

I typically don't trust anyone with a sub 40 e-peen

Santiako

I played yesterday with someone using an infiltrator with a heavy shotgun and a geth plasma rifle. :/

I typically don't trust anyone with a sub 40 e-peen

Generally I find that players over 100 tend to be skilled, but even then I've still seen quite a few that weren't that great.

Plus the ones with higher levels tend to either be in gold, or probably aren't playing with randoms. Or both.

Kyoufu

Dammit, medi-gel doesn't seem to work on others...
LLShC.gif

I know what you mean. What's maybe most surprising to me is the number of players carrying two weapons into battle, often a couple of heavy ones (i.e. assault rifle and shotty). Clearly those people don't value using their powers, which is a huge mistake.

Last night I was leveling a couple of low ranked characters of mine, but I had the most atrocious luck finding decent teammates. In one game, I came in as a Level 7 Drell Adept. I'm totally new to the class as I just unlocked it the other night, so I was pretty raw with it. But I was playing Bronze with a couple of Level 20s and a Level 19 against the Geth. Somehow, despite me playing okay, those idiots managed to lose the game. We all had about 25k in points at the end, although I think I did come in last out of the group. Then, the bastards actually booted me from the group before the next game started! Seriously, they had fully leveled up characters and felt the need to boot me?!?! I could solo that shit with my Level 20 Turian Sentinel. Lousy friggin' players.

I know what you mean. What's maybe most surprising to me is the number of players carrying two weapons into battle, often a couple of heavy ones (i.e. assault rifle and shotty). Clearly those people don't value using their powers, which is a huge mistake.

Last night I was leveling a couple of low ranked characters of mine, but I had the most atrocious luck finding decent teammates. In one game, I came in as a Level 7 Drell Adept. I'm totally new to the class as I just unlocked it the other night, so I was pretty raw with it. But I was playing Bronze with a couple of Level 20s and a Level 19 against the Geth. Somehow, despite me playing okay, those idiots managed to lose the game. We all had about 25k in points at the end, although I think I did come in last out of the group. Then, the bastards actually booted me from the group before the next game started! Seriously, they had fully leveled up characters and felt the need to boot me?!?! I could solo that shit with my Level 20 Turian Sentinel. Lousy friggin' players.

Haha! I had the complete opposite experience this morning. So I promoted my Sentinel class because I want to respec my Krogan Sentinel and jumped into a Bronze match at level 3 (ended at 5) with some higher-leveled folks. Because of this, I figured I wouldn't rank very high, but I ended up getting first place despite the fact that I only had a few points into rage:

AomdNqRCAAAYqu1.jpg

Helps that Krogans are practically unstoppable on Bronze and my Geth Plasma Shotgun is amazing!

Sober

Wait. You can use medi-gels to revive teammates? or am I reading this wrong?
They mixed up SP and MP tips together on the loading screen. In SP you can now do the "run up and revive" thing like in MP, but it still has the "press medigel button" to instantly revive your squadmates thing like ME2.

Haha! I had the complete opposite experience this morning. So I promoted my Sentinel class because I want to respec my Krogan Sentinel and jumped into a Bronze match at level 3 (ended at 5) with some higher-leveled folks. Because of this, I figured I wouldn't rank very high, but I ended up getting first place despite the fact that I only had a few points into rage:

AomdNqRCAAAYqu1.jpg

Helps that Krogans are practically unstoppable on Bronze and my Geth Plasma Shotgun is amazing!

that's completely hilarious.

Kyoufu

Enlighten me of this..."Half-Blast"?

Half Blast allows you to Nova twice. Advantage of this is the fact that you're invincible in the animation. So 2 Novas and a Charge in a loop will make you a god. Most enemies will stagger allowing you to basically lock down a pack of enemies for you and your teammates to destroy easily.

Also, you can roll-cancel a Nova which will grant you immunity when you evade.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I tried the N7 Hurricane yesterday... Holy fuck I did not know it was possible to make a gun worse than the Hornet.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Actually I think shooting the sacs is a bad idea. 2-3 Widow rounds to the main eye kills it without releasing a bunch of swarmers. Basically I think the sacs are traps for people with low accuracy. ;)

I always blow the sacs up, the soft underbelly kills make me feel warm inside.

Elitist much? I like to play to have fun, and I've had LOTS of fun playing silver with an assault rifle on infiltrator. Heck, half the fun for me is finding NEW WAYS TO PLAY. I still usually fall in the top 2, and if I place third it is a VERY close 3rd.

I tried out the Scorpion right after I got it, had no idea what it did and accidentally took ONLY the Scorpion into play... Placed 2nd by only about 2k from 1st. BTW covering Brutes with sticky bombs is pretty hilarious.

Santiako

Any good Salarian Engineer builds?

I rock mine with:

Energy Drain: Damage (4), Drain (5), Armor Boost (6)
Decoy: Durability (4), Shock (5), Shields & Duration (6)
Incinerate: Damage (4), Burning Damage (5), Armor Damage (6)
Salarian Operator: Damage & Capacity (4), Power Damage (5)
Fitness: The three first ones.

Using a heavy pistol with scope to get +200%, a Phalanx now (will be a Paladin or Carnifex when I get one).

This build destroys everything, especially Geth.

I see this all the time, especially with Vanguards. Mindboggling. And every time they'll end up with something like 10K points at best, when someone with 200% faster cooldowns will be hitting 50-60K+

I also had the same thing earlier. Waltzed into a bronze game on my promoted Adept at level 1 with a bunch of 18-20 players, came top with 50K. At least they didn't kick me.

Half Blast allows you to Nova twice. Advantage of this is the fact that you're invincible in the animation. So 2 Novas and a Charge in a loop will make you a god. Most enemies will stagger allowing you to basically lock down a pack of enemies for you and your teammates to destroy easily.

Also, you can roll-cancel a Nova which will grant you immunity when you evade.

Aren't you more vulnerable to being staggered though because you have to Nova twice?

I've always gone for the 25% faster cooldowns for 15 seconds option, and I can do a Chargex1/Novax1 loop all day. Spec Nova for Pierce and it becomes ridiculously powerful.

Elitist much? I like to play to have fun, and I've had LOTS of fun playing silver with an assault rifle on infiltrator. Heck, half the fun for me is finding NEW WAYS TO PLAY. I still usually fall in the top 2, and if I place third it is a VERY close 3rd.

It's elitist to call out shitty players who have no idea what they're doing, who end up costing me the game and/or having me carry them to victory?

For the record, I play for fun as well. My idea of fun just doesn't involve sucking and leeching off my teammates.

eek5

Any good Salarian Engineer builds?

Decoy 3
Incinerate 6 (radius, burn (DoT), armor)
Energy Drain 6 (damage, drain, damage)

Damage/Radius are really interchangeable in both Incinerate and ED. It depends on y our play style and map. I find that decoy can group up enemies so radius incinerate is good and usually I use ED to drain shields really fast so damage is more important. For R6 on ED I picked Armor Boost but I don't think it is very useful for gold. 15% is nothing really especially if you're only carrying 1/2 of your health from round to round. I'm going to respec for damage. One thing you can consider doing is going radius at R4 and damage at R6. My damage right now will fully drain Rocket Trooper shields so going that route is more than adequate.

The rest is up to you. I think I speced everything for power then got as much health as I could with the rest of the points.

You can either use a light weapon and spam energy drain/incinerate with decoy destracting enemies. I personally use the decoy to destract so I can use my overpowered geth plasma shotgun. I basically decoy, drop shields, and then kill everything with my shotgun and use incinerate when enemies group up or against geth primes.

edit: nm my ED spec is damage on both right now. I definitely recommend that route
Hey man, I played with you yesterday! I'm Evangelion13!
We should play again sometime.

rofl small world. yeah let me know when you get on and we'll play some matches

Kyoufu

Aren't you more vulnerable to being staggered though because you have to Nova twice?

I've always gone for the 25% faster cooldowns for 15 seconds option, and I can do a Chargex1/Novax1 loop all day. Spec Nova for Pierce and it becomes ridiculously powerful

You're still invincible during a stagger because once Nova is activated the rest of your animation (rolls, staggers, whatever) are given invincible-frames.

Dual Nova also means you can pick your next target with 9 rockets flying at you as you Nova a few times before charging.

It's unbeatable lol

milkham

i'm one of those guys with around 120 n7 level but still pretty bad. I've been playing quarian infiltrator on silver trying to make some money against the geth and I do ok, not so great at getting headshots, but as soon as a hunter comes up to me i panic, don't know whether to just run FAR away or what. I sometimes go for a no scope body shot which staggers it but can't reload fast enough with the widow to finish.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
*tries silver with randoms for the first time*

*gets paired with dumbfucks who don't revive you*

As I expected.

Alucrid

Banned
i'm one of those guys with around 120 n7 level but still pretty bad. I've been playing quarian infiltrator on silver trying to make some money against the geth and I do ok, not so great at getting headshots, but as soon as a hunter comes up to me i panic, don't know whether to just run FAR away or what. I sometimes go for a no scope body shot which staggers it but can't reload fast enough with the widow to finish.
Errr sabotage? Sabotage, cloak, sniper. Or cloak, sabotage, snipe.

MNC

Wow that's pissy. I wanted my pull to be the double one from Singleplayer, turns out you can't do that on lv 6! :(

Orgun

I don't know if i've just been lucky or what but i've not had a bad experience with randoms yet. Unless you count one guy who was lagging so badly he just constnatly died and revived on the spot. Was funny to watch.

eek5

The sabotage nerf + geth hunter buff really screwed over Quarian Infiltrators. Their utility w/ hack isn't as good as it was and the biggest threat to them moves faster and is almost always cloaked.

Try having a light SMG for close range or getting help from someone else.

syoaran

I keep getting snipers, I don't need them!

Give them to me. I have nearly every shotgun in the game and I don't use them! Three N7 shotguns in a row..... Got the Javlin recently, which really saved my playstyle. Only just started to trust what walls I can headshot though and what ones I can't. Still, waiting for that Black Widow is just torture.

Sectus

Using credits has become depressing. It's probably been something like 30 spectre packs since I unlocked something I actually wanted. There's still 4 sniper rifles I want, and there's still the asari adept. But I keep getting upgrades instead.

I really really really really really wish the packs would have a higher chance giving you new stuff than upgrades. At this rate, I'll probably not even use a new sniper rifle whenever I finally unlock it because my mantis is 10 and my widow is getting pretty far in the upgrade path.

I have every shotgun in the game (including the N7 one), every pistol but one and all SMGs. Just give me a new sniper rifle darnit D:

I don't know if i've just been lucky or what but i've not had a bad experience with randoms yet. Unless you count one guy who was lagging so badly he just constnatly died and revived on the spot. Was funny to watch.

I used to be like you. I had great experiences with randoms at first. I even had teammates that used mics and coordinated. It was swell.

Lately? Not so much. My guess is more noobs are buying the game or getting into the multiplayer after beating singleplayer, and it seems like it's really affected the player base. Last night, on Firebase Dagger, one of my teammates started each round in the open area under the tower. Like clockwork, within a minute of enemies spawning, the idiot was downed. This was on Bronze. Brainless isn't a strong enough word for this kind of behavior.

Alucrid

Banned
Give them to me. I have nearly every shotgun in the game and I don't use them! Three N7 shotguns in a row..... Got the Javlin recently, which really saved my playstyle. Only just started to trust what walls I can headshot though and what ones I can't. Still, waiting for that Black Widow is just torture.
The best is shooting through windows in the cerberus science based level.

eek5

I've had pretty good luck in gold matches. My general strategy for finding a good lobby is

• Search for a specific enemy/location - In silver/gold, random/random isn't worth the XP bonus and you're probably close to level 20 anyway. This far into the game, credits are MUCH more important so pick an enemy that your character is good against and a location that you are familiar with. People hosting lobbies where enemy is random is a huge red flag that they have no idea what they're doing. Roll reapers while you're playing Quarian Infiltrator? Have fun.
  • Check everyone's level and N7 rating before readying up - I usually only play with people over 50. This generally means they've at least gotten one character close to 20. Make sure there are no low levels in the lobby.
  • See if people have mics - Not as important. I often play without sound so it isn't a huge deal but if you like communication ask people if they have mics/can talk
  • Make sure classes people are playing makes sense for the enemy/location

I usually back out and search again if I see any red flags. Yeah, sometimes you can beat silver/gold unexpectedly with low levels and classes that shouldn't be able to pull it off but it isn't worth the gamble when matches can get into ~30 minutes.

Top Bottom