• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
It's elitist to call out shitty players who have no idea what they're doing, who end up costing me the game and/or having me carry them to victory?

For the record, I play for fun as well. My idea of fun just doesn't involve sucking and leeching off my teammates.

It's pretty elitist to hate on anyone that wants to try something different or carry two weapons, heaven forbid, into a game.

And yes there is a way to filter out those people, it's called "private game" I think.

----------------------------------------------------

I decided to buy a ton of recruit packs and just get all the basic weapons fully upgraded. SMG and Shot gun were the first to max, so funny because I was mainly playing Engineer w/ AR haha

I figured as much, I was just being facetious over his mistake :p

Edit: in fact in voice chat in game I've mistakenly called the ravagers "reapers" more than a couple times now

I figured as much, but somebody made the same mistake of calling ravagers reapers earlier in the thread some people got confused.

Ephemeris

Yep. Logged in with my EA account, went through their support page, shot them a Mass Effect 3 related email politely explaining that I participated in the event, had data sharing turned on, completed the objected, but did not receive my pack, and was wondering if there was anything I could do to get it.

They activated it on my BioWare account. Anybody who has the pack will have it listed on their game entitlements page on the BSN. If it's not there, you don't have one. Contact EA like I did and they should activate it for you.

Thanks. Had the same problem. Read your post, talked to them via Chat and it's resolved. Got the sniper rifle

Kyoufu

LMAO @ Krogans. Rage is amazing
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

It's pretty elitist to hate on anyone that wants to try something different or carry two weapons, heaven forbid, into a game.

Stop strawmanning and claiming I'm hating on people for doing something different by completely twisting my remarks. It's not a question of people doing something different, it's purely a question about whether they do shit. If you get carried, others have every right to complain about your lack of a contribution.

It generally helps in a discussion if you argue against the point someone is actually making rather than just making shit up.

God, this reminds me of my days from WoW where you'd end up with some crappy DPS who does less damage than the healer. At least most of my groups kicked the really bad ones.

"You're doing practically nothing and making everyone else carry you."
"How dare you criticise me! I play for fun! You have no right to criticise my playstyle for being different! You're so elitist! Get a life!"
ImaScrub has been kicked from the party.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Stop strawmanning and claiming I'm hating on people for doing something different by completely twisting my remarks. It's not a question of people doing something different, it's purely a question about whether they do shit. If you get carried, others have every right to complain about your lack of a contribution.

It generally helps in a discussion if you argue against the point someone is actually making rather than just making shit up.

Wow, really?

It really is painful just how bad the player base is at this game.

Today's example: the Infiltrator in silver who runs around with an assault rifle as his main weapon, uses cryo on protected targets instead of cloak shots with a sniper.

This game really needs some means of filtering them out. Whoever thought I'd miss trueskill?!

This was your original post I quoted correct? You dont mention anything other than someone else sucks because they arent using a sniper rifle...

Yes, some players are really bad. Nobody can argue that, it is truth. But I'm not twisting your words, sir.

X-Frame

I've had pretty good luck in gold matches. My general strategy for finding a good lobby is
  • Search for a specific enemy/location - In silver/gold, random/random isn't worth the XP bonus and you're probably close to level 20 anyway. This far into the game, credits are MUCH more important so pick an enemy that your character is good against and a location that you are familiar with. People hosting lobbies where enemy is random is a huge red flag that they have no idea what they're doing. Roll reapers while you're playing Quarian Infiltrator? Have fun.
  • Check everyone's level and N7 rating before readying up - I usually only play with people over 50. This generally means they've at least gotten one character close to 20. Make sure there are no low levels in the lobby.
  • See if people have mics - Not as important. I often play without sound so it isn't a huge deal but if you like communication ask people if they have mics/can talk
  • Make sure classes people are playing makes sense for the enemy/location
I usually back out and search again if I see any red flags. Yeah, sometimes you can beat silver/gold unexpectedly with low levels and classes that shouldn't be able to pull it off but it isn't worth the gamble when matches can get into ~30 minutes.

Anything specific you usually search for?

Razgriz recommended Firebase Dagger as a good map for gold and I'd agree with him, though I'm all ears for more gold tips as I haven't played them often. Still don't feel I have strong or leveled enough weapons for it.

Santiako

Just had two really good Gold games against Cerberus. First full extraction, second only one survivor. And finally got a Carnifex, woo!

alexel

Anything specific you usually search for?

Razgriz recommended Firebase Dagger as a good map for gold and I'd agree with him, though I'm all ears for more gold tips as I haven't played them often. Still don't feel I have strong or leveled enough weapons for it.

All of the maps are pretty easy to win as long as you have the right strategy, the key is making sure you've got the right class vs enemy combination. The only map I find to be significantly more difficult than the rest is Firebase Glacier due to the small map size which makes it tough to run around when shit hits the fan, and the camp spots you can set up at either don't have great cover, or don't have great line of sight. The other map I would say is a bit tougher out of the 6 might be the Tuchanka looking map for similar reasons.

You dont mention anything other than someone else sucks because they arent using a sniper rifle...

I said he was shit because he was a shitty player using a shitty tactic, and clearly didn't know what the fuck he was doing.

Sorry, I forgot that trying to Cryo Blast a Phantom with full barriers (which can't be frozen anyway) isn't bad, just 'different'. I also forgot that using the default assault rifle across the map and doing fuck all damage, and using the sniper once at close range (with no cloak) isn't bad, just 'different'.

The funny thing is that I rock with the same setup (Mantis/Avenger) as this player on my Infiltrator. The difference is I actually know how to play, which is why I score 50-70K instead of 10K.

This idea you seem to have in your head of me hating on him for being different is asinine. If he had done well and discovered a new tactic I would have said:

Photolysis from an alternative universe where the above happened said:
I ran into a really good player in matchmaking for a change today. He used a strange setup, mostly using the AR and Cryo Blast but he did very well with it.

People can play exactly how they want. Be a melee infiltrator if you want for all I care. Just don't complain when I say how bad you are when you come in dead last with 3K points because you used shitty tactics.

And some tactics are bad, like the hypothetical melee infiltrator.

I'm afraid to go to silver. Any tips ? I have level 20 human vanguard, adept, infiltrator... (also, Drell Vanguard, Quarian Infiltrator) and level 15 or so soldiers and sentinels (human and turians)

I'm afraid to go to silver. Any tips ? I have level 20 human vanguard, adept, infiltrator... (also, Drell Vanguard, Quarian Infiltrator) and level 15 or so soldiers and sentinels (human and turians)

You shouldn't be afraid. If you feel like you can handle Bronze, then move on to Silver. If you're a good Bronze player, your ability to win in Silver will be mostly dependent on whether you get good teammates or not.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I did Silver twice on a lvl 16-18 Drell Adept. Its not so bad, you just have to take cover much more often than Bronze since the bad guys hurt more. Also, dont get too far away from your teammates if you need to be revived, which might happen quite often.

RS4-

Wow I didn't know reapers could show up in reaper matches. Must be pretty hard to take down...
Haha whoops! But yeah, only got to wave 8 in that one. Brutes and ravagers @ 2, banshees showed up at 4 I believe. Brutal.

Anyone up for games? Just send invite or request on Live: dokterrhouse

Woo-Fu

Banned
I know what you mean. What's maybe most surprising to me is the number of players carrying two weapons into battle, often a couple of heavy ones (i.e. assault rifle and shotty). Clearly those people don't value using their powers, which is a huge mistake.

I carry two weapons into battle. The backup SMG is "free" once you have Lightweight Materials V and comes in handy now and then.

The same way you feel about people carrying two weapons into battle I feel about high level N7 players carrying only one into battle. ;)

And as far as points go I don't really pay much attention to them. It doesn't matter who is doing the most damage, it matters if we complete the objectives and get the money. Typically I find that there are a number of things a player does that are far more important to winning than just raw damage. If there is somebody with a better class/race/weapon fit in the current match than I have I'm not going to try to outscore him, I'm going to try to make sure we complete the objectives while he kills everything. The best infiltrator in the world isn't going to outscore a human vanguard vs Cerberus but who is going to get the clutch revive?

I carry two weapons into battle. The backup SMG is "free" once you have Lightweight Materials V and comes in handy now and then.

The same way you feel about people carrying two weapons into battle I feel about high level N7 players carrying only one into battle. ;)

I'm confused. You think it's okay two take 2 weapons into battle because one of those happens to be an ultralightweight SMG due to Lightweight Materials V? Yeah, I'm okay with that (although not everyone has the luxury of Lightweight Materials, I'm not sure I've got even one yet). I was merely saying it's ridiculous to carry two heavy weapons into battle.

Personally, I prefer going with a Heavy Pistol only (Carnifex), but I understand if people want a backup pistol or SMG to a sniper rifle or shotgun. Just don't carry two of the heaviest weapons you can find, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm confused. You think it's okay two take 2 weapons into battle because one of those happens to be an ultralightweight SMG due to Lightweight Materials V? Yeah, I'm okay with that (although not everyone has the luxury of Lightweight Materials, I'm not sure I've got even one yet). I was merely saying it's ridiculous to carry two heavy weapons into battle.

Personally, I prefer going with a Heavy Pistol only (Carnifex), but I understand if people want a backup pistol or SMG to a sniper rifle or shotgun. Just don't carry two of the heaviest weapons you can find, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

No, you said two weapons, and then you said "and usually" about heavy weapons, which means you don't think people should carry two weapons at all, just that two heavy makes it even worse. That is what you said, and what it means, even if you meant something else. :)

As far as the "luxury" of LM-V, I did specify high-level N7 players. I'm at 500+ and I would be surprised if anybody else in that range didn't also have materials 4 or 5.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been lucky to hit guys who were grinding gold for credits then. I must have opened 20 or 30 Premium Veteran Packs now (might as well get rid of my silver junk while the pack is still there I suppose).

Also, two weapons are fine if you are playing soldier or sentinel. It's not like you're casting a lot of magic with those classes anyway.

No, you said two weapons, and then you said "and usually" about heavy weapons, which means you don't think people should carry two weapons at all, just that two heavy makes it even worse. That is what you said, and what it means, even if you meant something else. :)

As far as the "luxury" of LM-V, I did specify high-level N7 players. I'm at 500+ and I would be surprised if anybody else in that range didn't also have materials 4 or 5.

And your response was: it's totally okay to take two weapons, as long as one weighs next to nothing. So essentially you agree with me.

My original point was that it surprises me so many people take 2 weapons into battle. I didn't say they're all idiots for doing it; it's just surprising that more people don't see the benefit in a quick recharge rate, especially with heavy power classes. But for the most part, people taking two heavy weapons into battle are doing it wrong (except for certain classes with weak powers where it might make sense).

Also, two weapons are fine if you are playing soldier or sentinel. It's not like you're casting a lot of magic with those classes anyway.

My most used class is a Turian Sentinel. I carry the Carnifex with it and spam the hell out of Chain Overload.

Santiako

I've been lucky to hit guys who were grinding gold for credits then. I must have opened 20 or 30 Premium Veteran Packs now (might as well get rid of my silver junk while the pack is still there I suppose).

I almost never shoot with my centinel, i spam the hell out of warp/throw.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And your response was: it's totally okay to take two weapons, as long as one weighs next to nothing. So essentially you agree with me.

My original point was that it surprises me so many people take 2 weapons into battle. I didn't say they're all idiots for doing it; it's just surprising that more people don't see the benefit in a quick recharge rate, especially with heavy power classes. But for the most part, people taking two heavy weapons into battle are doing it wrong (except for certain classes with weak powers where it might make sense).

My most used class is a Turian Sentinel. I carry the Carnifex with it and spam the hell out of Chain Overload.

My thing is - if you're going to be all about casting magic, why wouldn't you take one of the classes more apt for magic casting? Adept or Engineer specifically.

For example, if you're a Krogan sent or soldier, you are probably specced for weapon damage + tanking anyway, and rolling with a Widow/GPS is a legit build.

Kyoufu

Don't worry, Silver isn't difficult at all. You can practically solo it on Vanguard.

I wish ME3 GAF had more PS3 players. I'm Forever Alone :(

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Was able to squeeze a game in today, played my new Krogan Sentinel. I maxed Armor/Rage/Krogan and put 1 point in each incinerate and grenade. Equipped my Claymore with melee attachment and my Predator X with electric melee mod and ran head first into battle vs. geth on bronze. Melee only on EVERYTHING, I could even tank Primes with no problem.

Feels good. Haha

Kenaras

Actually, Ultralight Materials V does the exact same thing as Ultralight Materials I - absolutely nothing. The mod is broken; when you equip the mod on the weapon screen, it will change your power recharge %, but that's it. If you actually look at your individual powers, you'll see that they aren't benefiting from the mod. I've also used a stopwatch in-game to verify the bug.

(Disclaimer: Tested using the PC version. I can't personally verify the existence of the bug in the other versions, but judging from the results of other forum posters the bug exists in all three versions.)

RS4-

Lol Enzo, had to randomly join your game at wave 8 or so!

So I guess they changed a few things from beta in re: to joining mid game. I think I got the full XP but only half the money.

Two large problems with this game:

1) The A button does everything. Sliding repeatedly into cover when you want to revive a teammate makes me want to scream. I really feel like I'm fighting the controls sometimes.

2) The shitty autoaim system. There needs to be an option to disable this like most games. I actually MISS SHOTS because I've lined them up, go to zoom in, and reticle snapping moves it off the target. Sometimes MILES off the target, so much so that I can't find it again without unzooming.

My thing is - if you're going to be all about casting magic, why wouldn't you take one of the classes more apt for magic casting? Adept or Engineer specifically.

Turian Sentinel is a pretty strong "magic" caster. He's got Chain Overload for crowd control and taking out shields (it also tears through Geth), and he's got Warp for armored opponents. I just spam either one of those powers when the situation calls for it. Plus he's more resilient than anything but a Krogan.

I might prefer an Asari Adept or Salarian Engineer, or whatever, but I haven't unlocked those classes yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Turian Sentinel is a pretty strong "magic" caster. He's got Chain Overload for crowd control and taking out shields (it also tears through Geth), and he's got Warp for armored opponents. I just spam either one of those powers when the situation calls for it. Plus he's more resilient than anything but a Krogan.

I might prefer an Asari Adept or Salarian Engineer, or whatever, but I haven't unlocked those classes yet.
Human Engi has Overload and Incinerate, which amounts to the same thing.

I mean, I usually only role with one weapon anyway - and there's usually very little reason to go with two weapons if you're playing with a decent team (even of randoms) - but I can see the cases where you would want to bring two heavy ass weapons with you.

Human Engi has Overload and Incinerate, which amounts to the same thing.

True, except Turians have 50% more shielding than do humans (at fully upgraded Fitness to maximize shields, this can make a pretty big difference). Human Engineers do have Combat Drone instead of Tech Armor, which is nice, but I'm not sure if offsets the difference in shielding. Plus, it's way cooler to be a Turian.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True, except Turians have 50% more shielding than do humans (at fully upgraded Fitness to maximize shields, this can make a pretty big difference). Human Engineers do have Combat Drone instead of Tech Armor, which is nice, but I'm not sure if offsets the difference in shielding. Plus, it's way cooler to be a Turian.
Haha. I like rolling with my fake Jennifer Hale.

Although, I've played so much Salarian lately because of the farming... this is really the bad thing about the slot machine aspect of the game I suppose. It makes it hard not to "care" about maximizing your money to time ratio (outside of using real money to buy the packs, I suppose).

There is no way i play vanguard without being host. Too often i've fallen through the floor or starting lagging like crazy if i was not the host.

X-Frame

Was able to squeeze a game in today, played my new Krogan Sentinel. I maxed Armor/Rage/Krogan and put 1 point in each incinerate and grenade. Equipped my Claymore with melee attachment and my Predator X with electric melee mod and ran head first into battle vs. geth on bronze. Melee only on EVERYTHING, I could even tank Primes with no problem.

Feels good. Haha

Electric melee mod?!

Cat Party

I still have a hell of a time at silver, even though bronze is a breeze for me. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I can usually work with my team to get up to wave 9 or 10 without too much trouble, but then it all falls apart. With Cerberus, it's those goddamn turrets, with the geth, it's those goddamn pyros, and with the reapers, it's those goddamn everything. I've had one full extraction on silver and thankfully it was during the challenge weekend.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What are the best human classes? I think I'm gonna try play some multi today. I play Adept in SP cause warp detonations allows more interesting gameplay than shooters or techs.

Mindlog

I've had pretty good luck in gold matches. My general strategy for finding a good lobby is

• Search for a specific enemy/location - In silver/gold, random/random isn't worth the XP bonus and you're probably close to level 20 anyway. This far into the game, credits are MUCH more important so pick an enemy that your character is good against and a location that you are familiar with. People hosting lobbies where enemy is random is a huge red flag that they have no idea what they're doing. Roll reapers while you're playing Quarian Infiltrator? Have fun.
  • Check everyone's level and N7 rating before readying up - I usually only play with people over 50. This generally means they've at least gotten one character close to 20. Make sure there are no low levels in the lobby.
  • See if people have mics - Not as important. I often play without sound so it isn't a huge deal but if you like communication ask people if they have mics/can talk
  • Make sure classes people are playing makes sense for the enemy/location

I usually back out and search again if I see any red flags. Yeah, sometimes you can beat silver/gold unexpectedly with low levels and classes that shouldn't be able to pull it off but it isn't worth the gamble when matches can get into ~30 minutes.
The final full extract bonus on gold should really include some credits.

I might start credit farming soon. Currently I am having fun playing random/random trying to get the top score with weird setups (while being 100% focused on maximum objective credit bonuses.) My last game I got the top score with a Krogan Sentinel and a Tempest. I've become somewhat fond of SMGs. Well just the Hornet and the Tempest. I have no idea what the Locust is supposed to be firing. It does as much damage as... something that does an inconsequential amount of damage.

What are the best human classes? I think I'm gonna try play some multi today. I play Adept in SP cause warp detonations allows more interesting gameplay than shooters or techs.
If you like warp detonations then try the human sentinel. It has warp and throw. They can detonate pretty much anything regardless of protection. I put full tech armor on the male and no tech armor on the female.

Woo-Fu

Banned
There is no way i play vanguard without being host. Too often i've fallen through the floor or starting lagging like crazy if i was not the host.

Yeah, I don't play human vanguard at all after the last 3 times I tried I glitched.

Why do level 1, 2, or 3 characters join silver games? So annoying. GET THE BOOT OUTTA HERE.

Because Bioware in their infinite wisdom made "any challenge" the default on quick join instead of bronze. Can't really blame new players for that one, IMHO.

I've become somewhat fond of SMGs. Well just the Hornet and the Tempest.

I carry a tempest X with lightweight V and damage V on every character, it can pump out some really good damage, particularly if you're putting most of it on their head. If something gets close I'll switch to tempest instead of reloading the carnifex/widow/etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Vanguard is easy and effective to start with. Otherwise, "best" is kinda hard to narrow down.

Anyone who goes for the extraction point with 20 seconds or less: Fuck. You.

I had to go and revive 2 people outside the extraction point earlier today when they thought it was a great idea to come back when there was only 15 seconds left.

Top Bottom