• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Grisby

Couple of questions:
1. Does Ash ever come back?
2. You can't romance Cortes right? I said something that was blue/paragon suggesting he get some rr on the presidium and the whole deal felt...well not in the way I wanted it to. Tali's the only one that gets the shep love.

Also Sur'Kesh was awesome. AWESOME.

"Touch that button."

Couple of questions:
2. You can't romance Cortes right? I said something that was blue/paragon suggesting he get some rr on the presidium and the whole deal felt...well not in the way I wanted it to. Tali's the only one that gets the shep love.

"Touch that button."

Are you playing male Shep? Pretty sure you can. I havent gotten too far ahead as I literally did this just an hour ago.

Couple of questions:

"Touch that button."

Yes.....................
Male Shepard can.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There was another good line, I think it was in the Citadel, but I can't remember.

They should make a paid DLC that does nothing but completely edit out that vent kid. Would sell like hotcakes.
DLC to remove content is the next step.

But...goddamn it, it's totally stupid and cheesy, but I sort of like it.
Mass Effect 3 has to be the cheesiest iteration in the series. There are some dialogues and scenes where I'm shaking my head at the absurdities.

I can imagine a fan-made "DLC" (mod) to remove such things. :p

Character:
I think EDI's childish naivete is endearing.

Plot device:
Dream? Fire? Running? Oh man, it's so undouble-plus-good.

However, then there are scenes in the game that are just phenomenal.

Liara:
She shows you a thing that she's making. The scene really touched me. The poignant music is perfection.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's cool to come back to the Citadel after a mission and see how things are evolving... like that Batarian and Human at the refugees camp... At start, the batarian couldnt stand the human who keep talking to him...now they seems almost like friends.

Just did the favor for Wrex after Surkesh...

Killed the Rachni queen. If i had saved her, would Grunt have died? I almost thought he was going to during that (badass) fight with the mutated rachnis.

Zeliard

Hm, Cortez asked to meet him for a drink in Purgatory but he ain't there. Did I just miss him? I did do the Grunt mission first after I got the message.

Mass Effect 3 apparently sold 890,000 copies on its release date in North America.
Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello is feeling “awfully good” about the Mass Effect 3 launch.” Speaking at today’s Wedbush Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference in New York City, Riccitiello estimated that the game sold 890,000 units during the first 24 hours in North-America alone, meeting the company’s expectations: “We anticipated it doing well, so we’re happy.”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/08/e...-new-mass-effect-3-and-star-wars-mmo-numbers/

malfcn

Damn, I need to buy ME1 again, but prices are sky high.

Also, is this fake? I never saw a PH version.

8IjGAl.jpg

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It's cool to come back to the Citadel after a mission and see how things are evolving... like that Batarian and Human at the refugees camp... At start, the batarian couldnt stand the human who keep talking to him...now they seems almost like friends.

Just did the favor for Wrex after Surkesh...

Killed the Rachni queen. If i had saved her, would Grunt have died? I almost thought he was going to during that (badass) fight with the mutated rachnis.

If you save the Queen, Grunt can live if he was loyal in ME2.

I love BioWare's breaking of the fourth wall moments in their games. This one took the cake:

* Chobot saying "this feels like pandering."
* Joker grinning cockily at the camera when asked if he can evade a ship
* The Illusive Man explaining the process behind making the supporting cast of Mass Effect 2

10 hours in and savouring it.

I was pretty critical of the game at first. I now firmly feel the gameplay modifications are almost all improvements. Playing on the hardest difficulty is incredibly rewarding.

The story is mostly cliched cheese, but I have to admit there have been a few really awesome moments. That part on Tuchaka where
the thresher maw fucks up the reaper
was pretty rad. I was disappointed that I couldn't play both sides with the genophage:
the Salarian diplomat wanted me to essentially fake the cure - and no one would be the wiser for many years, buying us enough time to end the war. My plan was to keep her plot secret, use the correct cure, and then lie to her. As a result, the krograns would be cured and the Salarians would join in the war effort, only to learn after many years that the cure was, in fact, a real cure. But no! Somehow they know the cure was the real deal. Mordin, the only person I told about the shenanigans, died while activating the cure. I should've been able to lie! Really lame!

Are there consequences to which missions you accept? Do some expire after you've completed other missions? I haven't been paying close attention so far, but I am trying to do a 100% completion like I did with ME2. I do hope there are some consequences to the choices I am making... it was really cool to see the rachni join in the war effort as well as the people on Zhu's Hope that I saved (gased them all instead of killing them while they were brainwashed) in the first game. I like it when the game forces you to make somewhat difficult choices. There should be more of that.

random: ripping off the sound from War of the Worlds was a brilliant move on Bioware's part. goddamn are the Reapers ever intimidating.

FINALLY picking my CE pre-order up tomorrow morning, work's just been too brutal to do it any earlier. My gf's totally gonna' hate me for the next few days, but frankly I just don't care.

This game is loco. I Only a half hour in but I have a questions:
why is Shepard on earth? I thought he had nothing to do with the Alliance anymore.

Lingitiz

I love how Shepard enters these big battle zones and war torn cities and all the soldiers and generals already know who he is and give him total respect. It really makes you feel like a badass and gives what you're doing some importance, especially after you've build a name for yourself in the previous games.

This game is loco. I Only a half hour in but I have a questions:
why is Shepard on earth? I thought he had nothing to do with the Alliance anymore.

Did you play Arrival? He killed 300k Batarians to delay the reapers arrival, he's on Earth "on trial". But the opening of ME3 skips all that to get right to the action...

Did you play Arrival? He killed 300k Batarians to delay the reapers arrival, he's on Earth "on trial". But the opening of ME3 skips all that to get right to the action...

Yeah, I didn't play the Arrival. Pretty shitty of them not to explain that. Not a huge story point, but the game starts off confusing.

Just out of curiosity. I think I might have spoiled the ending for myself. Is
The Illusive Man being a reaper, the last story twist?

A simple yes or no would suffice.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
10 hours in and savouring it.

I was pretty critical of the game at first. I now firmly feel the gameplay modifications are almost all improvements. Playing on the hardest difficulty is incredibly rewarding.

The story is mostly cliched cheese, but I have to admit there have been a few really awesome moments. That part on Tuchaka where
the thresher maw fucks up the reaper
was pretty rad. I was disappointed that I couldn't play both sides with the genophage:
the Salarian diplomat wanted me to essentially fake the cure - and no one would be the wiser for many years, buying us enough time to end the war. My plan was to keep her plot secret, use the correct cure, and then lie to her. As a result, the krograns would be cured and the Salarians would join in the war effort, only to learn after many years that the cure was, in fact, a real cure. But no! Somehow they know the cure was the real deal. Mordin, the only person I told about the shenanigans, died while activating the cure. I should've been able to lie! Really lame!
I was hoping to do something similar, but then I realized that I am a renegade and could probably make them do what I want.

random: ripping off the sound from War of the Worlds was a brilliant move on Bioware's part. goddamn are the Reapers ever intimidating.
I didn't realize this. It kinda reminded me of Inception.

is it possible to edit my ME2 save and make it that Wrex survived in the first game?
Yes.

I was surprised. ME3 took longer than both ME1 and ME2 combined for me.

I enjoyed both ME1 and ME2. Put in around 15 hours into ME1 and then never played it again. Put about 28 into ME2 including a few DLC packs. I really, really loved ME2, even though even it lacked a few of the first game's strengths, namely the synth soundtrack and the heavier RPG elements. But it had superior gameplay, more interesting teammates, and a more focused storyline (although not fully explored) to make up for it. So far, ME3 feels like a combination of the first 2 games -- more weapons and customizable options from the first game married with the superior gameplay of the second and the many interesting side missions of the second game.

As much as I am loving this game, I do wish the series went in more interesting, challenging directions. The writing is cliched and so is the universe and there's a near-complete lack of exploration. I love being captain of a ship, traveling the galaxy, exploring new worlds, meeting new lifeforms, etc. My ideal space-faring game would be equal parts action and puzzle/adventure wrapped up in a unique world that doesn't use practically every cliche in the book. At the very least, could we get non-humanoid aliens who don't have huge tits? c'mon bro.

also, the jersey shore reject is starting to grow on me

I didn't realize this. It kinda reminded me of Inception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6TNP6cjN0U
e: the actual sound
it's actually more similar than I thought lol

but really effective...

the part of Tuchaka where
that reaper is firing its laser at you while making that noise... shiiiiiit

I guess I am 1/3 done or so, a major incredible moment in the story happened. WOW! This game is incredible. I am 20 hours in, easily half of those has been spent simply exploring and talking to everyone. Listening to every conversation that goes on. The world that Bioware has created is unmatched in gaming.

I'm sad though,
Mordin noooo. :(

Ugh. All that stuff on Tuchanka would have had ten times more impact if Wrex was there in my game. Wreav just made that whole sub story feel flat. How annoying.

Is it just me, or is the 360 version way too dark? I can't see shit on the Normandy.

senador

Banned
Is it just me, or is the 360 version way too dark? I can't see shit on the Normandy.

Just came here to talk about this. Shit is WAY too dark. Ugh. The game looks good for the most part. I love the metallic look of armor and the more cinematic feel to things. They darkened the shit out of everything waaaaaay too much. SO fucking annoying. I lightened my TV a few notches and I'm up 2 notches in the game menu and its still dark.

The Normandy itself is kind of disappointing. I don't care for the new bits in it. The darkness inside it though is the worst. Its too rich inside. Dark with overly bright colors, and possibly overuse of complimentary colors. Lots of orange and blue together. Its just too much. I like ME2's Normandy best. I've only just started the game though, perhaps I'll adjust.

Overall it feels like they darkened the game to make it more saturated and appear to have better graphics. It works in some cases, but in most it just is frustratingly dark. I don't get how shit like this passes QA and user testing, let alone passed the devs and artists who created it. Makes no sense.

Zeliard

Ugh. All that stuff on Tuchanka would have had ten times more impact if Wrex was there in my game. How annoying.

Yeah going in with any dead character is unfortunately probably a bad idea. In the story missions where they would show up, you apparently just end up with some carbon copy saying and doing similar stuff, with far less dialogue than the originals. It doesn't seem to be a case where anything really changes in any meaningful way (which was probably to be expected).

If Wrex is dead at least there's Wreav, who's an asshole, but he's at least a distinct enough character and one you'd have gotten to know in ME2. Dunno about characters like Tali, Garrus, Jack, etc. I've got everyone alive cept Ashley so I don't know what it's like going in with dead peeps.

So I tried to find this but lost it. Are multiple romances possible in ME3? I know there's a "committal" sort of system. I also told Ashley "we'll see" or whatever about our relationship, and have committed to a relationship with another character... But is there any possibility of romancing Ashley again? Thanks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've got a bug I guess.

I rebought the game on PC due to some problems with my PS3. When I could find model ships scattered throughout on PS3; I can not on PC. I've looked in all the places, and they're just not there. Note: I imported my save on PC, but not on PS3

Feature

Banned
I imported an editted save from ME2 yesterday and it did allow me to change my characters face... I thougt that wasn't the case? Maybe less options?

Dr.Acula

Banned
One of the funniest lines so far. Spoiler tagging in case people want to be surprised for themselves. Not a story spoiler at all.

"Well I'm not a human, am I you anthropocentric bag of dicks."
KuGsj.gif

I didn't even need to highlight that :)

Yep. Robot dog from ME2 as a pet. Here it is. I took a screen cap:

PYKS2.jpg

That damned dog is fucking useless. WTF? It better "bite" something or do something fucking amazing at the end of the game. Right now I swear I want to blow it out the airlock.

Sober

Mass Effect 3's range in overall quality goes from fan-fucking-tastic to what-the-hell-were-they-thinking.

Some story elements are phenomenal(mostly smaller or character driven), some are lackluster and awful to the point of confusion (mainly main story and/or vent kid related).

Presentation is the same way. There are some great cinematic moments when everything is falling apart or when you're facing down a giant enemy, but along with these presentation improvements comes the worst lip syncing of the series and more animation stutters and bugs than I remember from ME1 or ME2.

There's one area of Mass Effect 3 that deserves universal praise, though, and that's the audio engineering. Great music, great sound, really great voice acting (Garrus scenes in ME3 compared right next to ME1 feel like they have an entirely new depth, for example). If I were the sort of game reviewer that used an unfortunate number scale, this would be the only part of the game I would give a 10/10. The best use of my 5.1 system in years. The bass!
The game's cutscenes were clearly made for a soldier player. There is never ever any consistency in cutscenes especially with weapons. Why do I have an Avenger? Why do my squadmates have them? Why am I holstering my pistol or SMG like an assault rifle?

Half the time I have a Predator pistol in a cutscene, the other half I have the pistol I equipped. Holstering it/drawing it has to be the most hilarious thing because it just slides up/down my back and floats into my hands. Guess all that memory for animations took its toll.

Big Chungus

Alright so i'm in the ME2 editor program and I found the values where it shows if Wrex died in ME1...but at the bottom it says that the changes wont take effect unless I start a new game.

a3rdy.jpg

Any other way I can bring Wrex back from the dead?

Top Bottom