• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

I was sure within a few hours that the game was already better than 2, but after spending last week playing 1 and realizing just how much really was nostalgia glasses, I'm becoming convinced this is far superior to 1 as well.

So far, 3 has really opened into something with far superior gameplay and structure than 1, and returns to feeling like a deeper game with many more options and choices.

The details and vistas are amazingly well crafted, and the art direction and soundtrack are very impressive both in delivering themes and in consistency. I honestly did not expect to be anywhere near as impressed as I am with this; I'm not sure I expected to be impressed at all, and of course that usually results in enhancing pleasant surprises.

Seriously though, I'm finding that I'm slowly moseying through the game at a relaxed pace and absorbing the views, which is what 1 had me doing, and the opposite of what 2 had me doing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One of the funniest lines so far. Spoiler tagging in case people want to be surprised for themselves. Not a story spoiler at all.

"Well I'm not a human, am I you anthropocentric bag of dicks."
KuGsj.gif

GorillaJu

One of the funniest lines so far. Spoiler tagging in case people want to be surprised for themselves. Not a story spoiler at all.

"Well I'm not a human, am I you anthropocentric bag of dicks."
KuGsj.gif

That was a good one.

I liked the recorded combo you can read on Liara's computer between two Krogan.
(paraphrased from memory)
I've got more kills under my belt than you, runt!
Grunt: "attempting to fornicate with Salarians doesnt count as a kill"

Dresden

People joked all the time about how a lot of the decisions made in the past games will appear as email only, and it's been rather true so far, but whenever I get a message from someone on Zhu's Hope or read a news story about a character I came across years ago, it's still kinda fun.

God this game can be so beautiful at times, but real ugly in some parts.

I'm reminded of how ugly the game can be whenever I see Ashley's heavily botoxed face.

Pollux

Just curious as to how far into the game I am and how much I have left -- 19 hours in...Just finished
tuchanka
I'm about to do the Quarian/Geth priority mission

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I skipped a lot of the warm up talk after we had a firm release date, but it's funny how much we all guessed about the game ahead of time.

EDI, the doing of errands to ensure universal unity.

Where do you get the DLC crew member that I guess came with my CE?

Mass Effect 3's range in overall quality goes from fan-fucking-tastic to what-the-hell-were-they-thinking.

Some story elements are phenomenal(mostly smaller or character driven), some are lackluster and awful to the point of confusion (mainly main story and/or vent kid related).

Presentation is the same way. There are some great cinematic moments when everything is falling apart or when you're facing down a giant enemy, but along with these presentation improvements comes the worst lip syncing of the series and more animation stutters and bugs than I remember from ME1 or ME2.

There's one area of Mass Effect 3 that deserves universal praise, though, and that's the audio engineering. Great music, great sound, really great voice acting (Garrus scenes in ME3 compared right next to ME1 feel like they have an entirely new depth, for example). If I were the sort of game reviewer that used an unfortunate number scale, this would be the only part of the game I would give a 10/10. The best use of my 5.1 system in years. The bass!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The vent kid really is like, the pinnacle of cringe-inducing moments in the series. ME3 EDI is up there as well.

As soon as you get control of the Normandy, in
Eden Prime.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

I wish I had bookmarked my post about EDI from the ME2 thread. I was like, totally the first person to guess the outcome. I was joking, of course.

But...goddamn it, it's totally stupid and cheesy, but I sort of like it.

The vent kid really is like, the pinnacle of cringe-inducing moments in the series. ME3 EDI is up there as well.

As soon as you get control of the Normandy, in
Eden Prime.

Vent Kid is pretty damn bad, but ME3 EDI didn't bother me as much as I thought she would - her dialogue was juuuust self-aware (ha! AI joke) enough to poke fun at the ridiculousness of her state, and the humor came through fairly well.

kamspy

Awesome. Can't play because my game won't connect to the EA Servers to authenticate my DE DLC.

Anyone know a remedy for this? Playing on PC.

About 15 hours. Game is phenomenal. Id say Im having more fun than ME1 even.

Im so overwhelmed at the quantity of things to do: side quests up the wazoo (most of them interesting), places to explore and people to romance. So fun. If I had to choose one word to describe ME3 it would be that...."fun".

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I usually play my games on Normal but my buddy kept raving about how great the game and combat is on Hard.

I just found it to be a frustrating chore.

/fail

Dresden

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I usually play my games on Normal but my buddy kept raving about how great the game and combat is on Hard.

I just found it to be a frustrating chore.

/fail

Insanity, and it opens up once you stop fighting just Cerberus troops.

By that I mean when you stop getting bent over and inseminated by turrets.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Where is that from?

The bartender at the cafe on the Presidium.

Quick question about a couple sidequests. There are two Citadel upgrade ones, power supply and something else, that I have no idea how to go about. Can someone just give me a hint on where to go or what to do for those? I don't need it spelled out but a nudge in the right direction would be nice. I'm at the point where the Tuchanka missions are active so I may not be able to go where you need to finish those ones but I'm not sure. The journal is way too vague about those ones.

Jintor

For fuck's sake, encountered a crippling bug on Eden Prime which is making my save file lag like the dickens and reliably crashes the game post-cutscene. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just did the
Rachni
mission. Dem Aliens homages!

I loved that mission for the same reasons.
That and Grunt being a total badass in it. I thought he had actually died then he came out covered in blood after completely obliterating a bunch of the Indoctrinated Rachni.
Awesome mission.

Tess3ract

Banned
You seriously need to spoiler tag your post. I would have been pissed if I had those characters spoiled for me.
Nah. I knew all about them prior to the game and I never bothered to watch any info on the game. The Javik was advertised before the game was released as a "big deal" so....

Dresden

That and Grunt being a total badass in it. I thought he had actually died then he came out covered in blood after completely obliterating a bunch of the Indoctrinated Rachni.
Awesome mission.

Yeah, liked the ending for that mission. It did make me wish that they'd just put
Grunt instead of Vega in as the meathead of the Normandy, though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Awesome mission.
haha, yeah when that happened I wanted to punch through the air and yell "fuck yeah!"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nah. I knew all about them prior to the game and I never bothered to watch any info on the game. The
Javik
was advertised before the game was released as a "big deal" so....

There are plenty of people in here that are on blackouts for this, like I was. I'm far enough that I wasn't spoiled by your post but the game isn't even out in Europe yet. Better to be safe and courteous when it comes to spoilers.

Nah. I knew all about them prior to the game and I never bothered to watch any info on the game. The
Javik
was advertised before the game was released as a "big deal" so....

I knew of the DLC character because it was advertised, but the other character was not. Honestly, what a stupid excuse is this? Just because YOU know this already, it is ok to not put them in spoiler tags?

Xamdou

How do u unlock the collectors edition dog to use during missions?

Also how do I access the from ashes DLC? Which planet?

Early Sidequest Spoiler: Yesterday
I listened secretly to a talk between a Volus diplomat, a turian and human one. The Volus told the both aliens that there is a Prothean Device/Figure that needs to pick up. Does anyone know where the planet is? Galaxy Map doesn't say anything. You get the side quest at the Citadel's embassy.

How do u unlock the collectors edition dog to use during missions?

Also how do I access the from ashes DLC? Which planet?
1. Question: You can't use the dog in missions. But I'm not sure.
2. Question:
Eden Prime

How do I buy this?
CE exclusive.

Early Sidequest Spoiler: Yesterday
I listened secretly to a talk between a Volus diplomat, a turian and human one. The Volus told the both aliens that there is a Prothean Device/Figure that needs to pick up. Does anyone know where the planet is? Galaxy Map doesn't say anything. You get the side quest at the Citadel's embassy.
If someone could answer this, I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom