• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Replicant

You kill faster with powers. No, you don't share a bar with teammates. Theirs is hidden for some reason.

I gave Vega the Chakram Launcher because despite it being heavier, he looks like he can handle it with that massive body of his. OTOH, my Shepard will have -25% power recharge if he handles that weapon before I upgrade his stat. I guess I can bring less weapon since I don't seem to use more than 2 at a time so far.

And I just realised that the big part of why I love this series are the characters. I LOVE these characters (okay, maybe not Jack or Jacob or Zaeed) and I want my Shepard to have more adventures with them.

Considering ME3 has more RPG stuff than ME2, its funny seeing comments about future Bioware games being simple shooters, simply because there isnt as many dialogue choices.

They expanded it a little on the equipment side, but there's no significant additions. The sad part is that they consider that "more RPG stuff".

Just got the ending spoiled for me. Not going to actually talk about it, but my reaction (again, no story spoilers):

No fucking way that's what happens. I still feel like I'm getting trolled. Normally I would NEVER believe something like this, but after seeing the reactions here, I have a sad feeling it's true. Seriously, what in the flying fuck? Still not going to read other spoilers in case it turns out to be fake, but again, judging by the reactions...I think I saw the real ending. Shame on Bioware.

bengraven

Kelly Chambers Spoiler.

you can save Kelly if you tell here to change her identity.

Fuck me. I didn't even realize that was an option.
I was pretty shocked to find her down there in the first place and was like :DDDDD. Then I heard some talk from random NPCs about Kelly having been Columbined and I almost teared up.

Oh, the other thing: (another just me) is there not a "neutral" option anymore? Seems rare.

Yeah, that's irritating me as well. Very few Paragon/Renegade conversation options (words on the left in red or blue) as well.

Also, in ME1 and 2 my Shep only talked when I chose his dialogue. Half of Shephard's dialogue now is out of my control. Not cool.

Just got the ending spoiled for me. Not going to actually talk about it, but my reaction (again, no story spoilers):

No fucking way that's what happens. I still feel like I'm getting trolled. Normally I would NEVER believe something like this, but after seeing the reactions here, I have a sad feeling it's true. Seriously, what in the flying fuck? Still not going to read other spoilers in case it turns out to be fake, but again, judging by the reactions...I think I saw the real ending. Shame on Bioware.

May as well join the rest of us in the spoiler thread.

People are still complaining there's "less" dialogue choices? Fuck I must be blind because I am serious in saying I see just as many as ME2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People are still complaining there's "less" dialogue choices? Fuck I must be blind because I am serious in saying I see just as many as ME2.

I'm not people, I have not complained about there being fewer dialog choices previously, and I am not complaining.

thetechkid

Now are only only the get more info out of the guy, passive aggressive, and good options. before there was at least another one or two.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They expanded it a little on the equipment side, but there's no significant additions. The sad part is that they consider that "more RPG stuff".

Better talents customization, getting xp in the middle of missions rather than in a mission complete screen, biotic classes are less dependant on guns and can abuse spells every second or so, weapon stats, weapon mods, more than 2 guns for every weapon types...

Yes, ME3 has more/better RPG stuff than ME2. Is that so hard to believe?

Zeliard

Just finished Tuchanka..... shit man, that was rough.

The Tuchanka missions are quite fun. No surprise that the Krogan homeworld invites hectic and enjoyable battles.

No, it's not the case. When you land on the Citadel and you meet Bailey, Shep goes, "Congratulations?" That's the first time I really felt like I was barely playing Mass Effect. That should have been an obvious dialog option. I feel like I have fewer options and fewer things to investigate when I do have options. Walking around the Citadel...there's so little to actually interact with. It's very dioramaish. Again, could just be me.

Have you gotten to your ship? Once there things open up a bit more. And throughout the game squadmates are found in various spots on board and in the Citadel, occasionally chatting with other crew members; they actually move around this time, which is nice. Investigate options and such still appear after the intro. They streamlined the post-mission chats with your crewmates by having them often chatting with Shep in real-time, with no dialogue screen. Shep often responds, so it isn't a Zaeed/Kasumi monologue thing.

My beef with the game (outside of the poor intro) are the silly fetch quests. Not only are they super-annoying to track because the Journal is useless, but they aren't particularly fun to do. I guess they offer bits of lore but that's something that could have been relegated to the Codex. It was Bioware's way of attempting to convey the huge combined galactical war effort but I don't think it's too effective.

Jintor

Character moment:
"I'm Garrus Vicarion and this is now my FAVOURITE SPOT on the CITADEL!"

Far better use of meme-age than the goddamn 'Calibrations' everybody was spewing for a while there

Bisnic

I've played for 10-11 hours so far and have been in dozens of conversations where there are 4-5 different options to choose from.

Those 4-5 options are only for investigations right? You never get more than 2 or 3 options outside of that, and the 3rd option is quite often not really an option but just a "mini-investigate".

Replicant

Oh, the other thing: (another just me) is there not a "neutral" option anymore? Seems rare.

I agree. I find it annoying that I can only choose the Paragon or Renegade dialogue and not neutral. Sometimes I don't feel like answering with those extreme answers. Some people have said that there's a neutral one on the left hand side but they are not really neutral answer. Most of the times, the middle left hand convo is like an expanded investigate dialogue.

Guess what guys? Jacob is boring.

And Pope shits in woods, bears are Catholic, etc, etc.

Also, does anyone know how you switch weapons in Multiplayer? Maybe it's my mistake for choosing Vanguard and then Infiltrator as my class during my play time but I always end up getting shotgun when playing as Vanguard and sniper rifle as Infiltrator, which are fucking annoying. Shotgun is okay on Vanguard but I'd like to use normal gun sometimes. And sniper rifle is useless on MP because the wave just keeps on trucking before I can aim properly. I may as well use cloaking and attack enemies stealthily via meele omni-blade.

Those 4-5 options are only for investigations right? You never get more than 2 or 3 options outside of that, and the 3rd option is quite often not really an option but just a "mini-investigate".

It's not different than the 3 options you get in ME1 and ME2 in most conversations, where the top was a paragon response and the bottom was a renegade response. The middle neutral option was always useless.

Bisnic

It's not different than the 3 options you get in ME1 and ME2 in most conversations, where the top was a paragon response and the bottom was a renegade response. The middle neutral option was always useless.

I'm talking about the 3rd choice on the left that is only a mini-investigate. The right neutral one is very rare in ME3. I think i've only got it once or twice so far, before Tuchanka.

X-Frame

I used the middle (neutral) option a lot when I didn't want to flatter someone (i.e. Jacob as FemShep) and yet didn't want to be an asshole to him either.

Better talents customization, getting xp in the middle of missions rather than in a mission complete screen, biotic classes are less dependant on guns and can abuse spells every second or so, weapon stats, weapon mods, more than 2 guns for every weapon types...

Yes, ME3 has more/better RPG stuff than ME2. Is that so hard to believe?

No skills that affect anything other than effectiveness of your combat powers, no alternate routes/paths/or ways to solve problems based on how you've developed your character. It's exactly the same as ME2 in those respects. More equipment options is nice but hardly what I'd call improvements in RPG mechanics. The binary talent upgrades were nice as well but very limited in how they affected gameplay.

I'm talking about the 3rd choice on the left that is only a mini-investigate. The right neutral one is very rare in ME3. I think i've only got it once or twice so far, before Tuchanka.

I know, I'm saying it's not really different than the 3 options you got 80% of the time in ME1 & ME2.

Zen

Banned
Question, is my save file bugged? Because at the start of the game Anderson
is in the Alliance, not serving on the council where I put him, and now that I'm on the citadel, apparently I have to meet with udina

Zeliard

Question, is my save file bugged? Because at the start of the game Anderson
is in the Alliance, not serving on the council where I put him, and now that I'm on the citadel, apparently I have to meet with udina

Nope, that's what's supposed to happen. Check the Codex entry on Anderson, it explains it.

Sober

No idea. Personally I would hope Kal'Reegar/Sidonis.
For Kal'Reegar, if he survived in ME2,
he dies in ME3, there is an e-mail/news article about it

I like Jamie Vega a lot more then I thought. Too bad his powers are so ass so I never take him on missions
level Carnage and come back :p

Yeah, IMO good riddance to the middle/neutral response option felt useless since Mass Effect never really did anything but punish people for being neutral.

Dany

Banned
I was just thinking of something. If someone starts fresh in ME3, is Kaiden the only hetero option for Femshep? Can Vega be romanced?

I think Kaiden can be for femshep, or thats what I heard.

Here is a list of possible romanceables

Confirmed romance options for a male Commander Shepard:
Liara T'Soni
Ashley Williams
Kaidan Alenko
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy (only if continued from ME2)
Miranda Lawson (only if continued from ME2)
Jack (only if continued from ME2)
Diana Allers
Steve Cortez

Confirmed romance options for a female Commander Shepard:
Liara T'Soni
Kaidan Alenko
Garrus Vakarian (only if continued from ME2)
Diana Allers
Samantha Traynor

- J - D -

Oh my god, I just finished the From The Ashes DLC and I can't imagine how anyone who's into Mass Effect could skip it. It should not have been DLC. Fuck that. Now I'm pissed for those who have to buy it.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh my god, I just finished the From The Ashes DLC and I can't imagine how anyone who's into Mass Effect could skip it. It should not have been DLC. Fuck that. Now I'm pissed for those who have to buy it.

A lot of people are pissed that it's DLC (and at the cost). I'm waiting for Angry Joe's review of the game, as he griped about it a bit in a recent video.

Replicant

I was just thinking of something. If someone starts fresh in ME3, is Kaiden the only hetero option for Femshep? Can Vega be romanced?

Not available to either Shep. I figure it's Bioware's revenge because most of us bitch about his character design earlier when it was revealed.

Yeah, it's so integral to the storyline that I have to facepalm at Bioware/EA for nickle-diming this. Not to mention 530MB something extra download when it could have been included on the disc?

I didn't realize until afterward that I played the DLC and it hit me how huge of an omission that would be from the experience. Unbelievable that they'd leave something like that for DLC, more so because of all the dialog and information you get for the rest of the game. Is the entire
Liara/Javik dynamic + everything Javik tells you
just NOT in the game without the DLC? That's absolutely crazy.

iavi

Tuchanka: during the mission to the
shroud, which time is best to tell of the Salarian's sabotage? I thought to do it early, but doing so might throw wrex off. Is there a moment to do it when he's not aroud?

shroud, which time is best to tell of the Salarian's sabotage? I thought to do it early, but doing so might throw wrex off. Is there a moment to do it when he's not aroud?

I thought this too, and immediately regretted it, but it cuts you off the first time, and then the second (successful) time you get to do it, he gets mad, but doesn't say shit afterwards, I actually thought it might cause another war, but it didn't. If you want to cure the genophage, try and tell them about it every time it comes up.

MechaX

The more I play through the DLC, the more I think that this was an exceptionally poor DLC choice. This gives just enough information on things where it really should have been a part of the main game.

X-Frame

I initially tried to tell them in the first possible attempt but the vehicle hit a pot-hole and it was cut off short. Then the 2nd time when Eve inquired about if I had to say anything I kept my mouth shut. There is a 3rd time that you have the option to reveal to Mordin when the two of you are alone which is when I brought it up. And everything works out perfectly.

Top Bottom