• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm like 32 hours in and still isnt finished with Rannoch. And some people were done with the game in 20 hours? Something tells me these people never bothered to talk to the Normandy crew after every missions or went to visit the Citadel that much, or use the investigate option whenever new opportunities were there...

I dunno... i dont feel like i've waste time at all and i still got probably 10 hours left of shit to do.

AB12

I'm like 32 hours in and still isnt finished with Rannoch. And some people were done with the game in 20 hours? Something tells me these people never bothered to talk to the Normandy crew after every missions or went to visit the Citadel that much, or use the investigate option whenever new opportunities were there...

I dunno... i dont feel like i've waste time at all and i still got probably 10 hours left of shit to do.
I did everything (looked for more things to do before endgame) in about 39 hours with 2 hours of running back and forth doing nothing. With 32 hours you are almost there.

Jintor

I think I hit about 27 or 28 hours with a fair chunk of stuff done. All side missions, all N7 missions, didn't trawl the galaxy for junk all that much though. Talked to the crew between most missions, though I missed a chunk of Ronnoch stuff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played for like 2 hours yesterday and it made my green bar from barely above minimum to fully full - and I have plenty of game left.

My bar is full too. This does not mean you are at 5000ems. So yeah, it's not like I'm rushing or not doing the side quests. I just don't think it is presently possible to get to full ems right now without sooooome multiplayer.

The question is...when do I stop playing sp to go do some mp? Is there a clearly demarcated point where the calculation is factored in or is it just made at the ending point?

Kem0sabe

I finished the game in 149 hours, but i hibernated the computer with the game on every night when i was done, so there´s that... still... 149 hours is what bioware will be seeing through their origin spyware. :D

I did all of that in 26 hours and that includes breaks.

Sojgat

You're thinking about everything far too linearly, and it shows with you saying you 'can't understand playing anything but sentinel'. Not to rag on the class specifically, but they all have something unique to offer and have a myriad of strategies. The combat is VASTLY improved in ME3.

It's not that I literally cannot understand like some kind of logic robot. I have played around with all the classes, they all have fun things to experiment with, and yes there are many stratigies. What I'm saying is that the sentinal class is the most powerful and has an answer for every situation the game offers. Its not well balanced is what I'm saying and it makes the game too easy. Its easier than ME2 on insanity, and that was easy. People who have trouble with it don't hardpause the game with the command wheel and just treat it like a shooter. Which seems to be part of the intent to give people the option to do that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Now I am confused as I thought only the bar is important for the ending stuff. Oh well :-/

The total war asset thing is multiplied by your galactic readiness number to get your ems rating. I'm at 6000 war assets right now. So 3000 ems. I need to do one of two things: get war assets to 10k or raise gr to whatever 6000*x=5000 is solving for x.

:)

ME3, character models, textures, etc, specifically took a hit so that they could have bigger more active and populated environments, along with the enhanced lighting. This isn't debatable, it's a fact. Fire up mass Effect 2 and compare cahracters that appear in both games, it's very obvious.

Dat_polygon.jpg

You can always find a pic better than another in different situations, this comparison does not demonstrate your theory.

My bar is full too. This does not mean you are at 5000ems. So yeah, it's not like I'm rushing or not doing the side quests. I just don't think it is presently possible to get to full ems right now without sooooome multiplayer.

The question is...when do I stop playing sp to go do some mp? Is there a clearly demarcated point where the calculation is factored in or is it just made at the ending point?

I didn't do any MP and ended up with 3555 points or something along that line, so yeah, I think it's pretty much impossible. Though I didn't get the full support of
the salarians
, fuck 'em.

From what I hear, you can import your previous Shepard during NG+, though, and he supposedly gives a lot of war assets. Though I have no idea how that actually works. :lol

Arjen

I'v been mixing MP with single player, it's linked al the time

I can't believe I'm on the second to last mission and still haven't learned shit about the Reapers. I thought we were going to see their motives and learn everything in ME3 :(

Don't spoil anything! I don't want to know, I'm just saying.

Dilly

Banned
Isn't the system bugged though? It adds 4% to all regions of the galaxy after every match, but the way it is designed looks like it should add 4% to where the multiplayer map is located.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I did all of that in 26 hours and that includes breaks.

But did you really went to every single crewmembers after every single mission?
Talked to them on the Citadel?
Did you eavesdrop on everyone on the Citadel, even if it didnt give sidequests?
Listen to the Blasto movie stuff or drink as much alcohol as possible in the Purgatory for shit and giggles?
Did you just read lines of dialogues and skipped them once you were done without waiting for the voice actors to actually finish them?
Looked around during missions for possible hidden upgrades?
Played on normal?

I'm just curious to what makes the difference so huge. Maybe, maybe i wasted 1 hour or 2 by being afk, but its probably nothing that big.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Isn't the system bugged though? It adds 4% to all regions of the galaxy after every match, but the way it is designed looks like it should add 4% to where the multiplayer map is located.

Nope. If you play on Random map it gives ~4% to all.
Something like 8% to a certain area if you actually pick a map.

But did you really went to every single crewmembers after every single mission?
Talked to them on the Citadel?
Did you eavesdrop on everyone on the Citadel, even if it didnt give sidequests?
Listen to the Blasto movie stuff or drink as much alcohol as possible in the Purgatory for shit and giggles?
Did you just read lines of dialogues and skipped them once you were done without waiting for the voice actors to actually finish them?
Looked around during missions for possible hidden upgrades?
Played on normal?

I'm just curious to what makes the difference so huge. Maybe, maybe i wasted 1 hour or 2 by being afk, but its probably nothing that big.

I didn't listen to the blasto stuff or get drunk, but I did the rest and am playing on insanity. Maybe you spend more time scanning than I do idk.

I didn't listen to the blasto stuff or get drunk, but I did the rest and am playing on insanity. Maybe you spend more time scanning than I do idk.

Then you are absolutely godly at this game and possibly the best ME3 player out there.

I can't even imagine doing all sidequests, talking to all squadmates after every mission, going back and forth to the Citadel, exploring every star system and every level with detail, and on insanity no less in 26 hours hours. Honestly mind boggling. Did you die at all in any of the missions?

I just got to the second to last mission and I'm at 32 hours, on normal too. And I still didn't do every single sidequest and talk to everybody after each mission. O__O

mocoworm

Free Mass Effect 3: Datapad iOS app now live

Receive emails from squadmates, raise your Galaxy at War score

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-13-free-mass-effect-3-datapad-ios-app-now-live

"EA's free Mass Effect 3: Datapad app is now available to download on iPhone and iPad.
Datapad lets you receive new email messages from squadmates and people you meet in Mass Effect 3.

There's also a Galaxy at War mini-game where you can boost your Mass Effect 3 Galactic Readiness rating.

The mini-game allows you to deploy fleets around the galaxy to scoop up credits and, if logged in with your Origin details, increase your Galactic Readiness.

This rating multiplies the value of War Assets you discover in Mass Effect 3, making it easier to obtain the best outcome in the final battle.

Datapad also allows you to browse your Codex entries, watch trailers for the game and check EA's official Twitter feed. Handy!"

Then you are absolutely godly at this game and possibly the best ME3 player out there.

I can't even imagine doing all sidequests, talking to all squadmates after every mission, going back and forth to the Citadel, exploring every star system and every level with detail, and on insanity no less in 26 hours hours. Honestly mind boggling. Did you die at all in any of the missions?

I just got to the second to last mission and I'm at 32 hours, on normal too. And I still didn't do every single sidequest and talk to everybody after each mission. O__O

I didn't say I explored every star system. :p and yeah I've died a bit, most noticabely the first time I met ravagers and those 3 geth primes on rannoch.

edit: i'm not done with the game yet, I still have to go to thessia and whatever is after that.

Sojgat

First playthrough took me just over 32 hrs, but I was being very OCD about talking to everyone multiple times and doing all the quests, and the difficulty was on insanity. So to me it seems conceivable that people could complete the game in 26hrs without missing much. You can game the galaxy exploration pretty easily, and not get caught by a reaper even once.

Carbonox

I'm at about 30 hours and only just dealing with the Asari for the first time. :lol

In other news, what an experience I had on the Citadel last night. It was pretty much running at 1fps, I could swear. It was horrible but pretty hilarious. Then part of the Citadel wouldn't load up because of how slow it was so you could see beyond the horizon and multiple copies of each NPC. :lol

Then it just all clicked back in to place.

mocoworm

I'm at about 30 hours and only just dealing with the Asari for the first time. :lol

In other news, what an experience I had on the Citadel last night. It was pretty much running at 1fps, I could swear. It was horrible but pretty hilarious. Then part of the Citadel wouldn't load up because of how slow it was so you could see beyond the horizon and multiple copies of each NPC. :lol

Then it just all clicked back in to place.

PS3 ?

Well it wasn't meant as a compliment. I also stand by the combat being slightly improved. Inclusion of grenades to get the player to move from cover are good idea, but on insanity they just end up getting spammed. More of the powers are meaningful but since any class can carry any weapon now I can't understand playing as anything but a sentinal. You can carry the best guns, and have warp, overload (which also works as a good stun now) and throw. Using Liara who has singularity you dont even need a third squad member and carrying only a good rifle you can just spam the crap out of your powers because your weight limit is so low. Cerberus soldiers deploying smoke grenades to obscure power locks and visability is also a good idea but to my knowledge there is no way of dispersing it. Also a good way to get the player moving, but also more annoying than fun. The roll input also seems very touchy, half the time when I try to sprint I end up rolling off to the side or locking to cover. All the touted verticality is also not put to very good use and as for the level design being a "revelation" thats your opinion. I have also heard "fishbowl" used to describe them and I think that is more accurate. But that is in terms of encounter design not art direction (which is good if not excellent which has always been the case in mass effect). The angled design of cover in the geth architecture was also hair tearing. Some people found the encounter design in ME2 was very limited, you just stick to the furthest piece of cover and stay there. I have to think that part of that was the designers understanding the limits of their mechanics. In ME3 it seems like they think their game controls as well as Gears of War, when in fact it's not even on the same level as Binary domain. I mean snapping back to cover and then back out when you zoom in from "blindfiring"(for lack of a better term) seems like the definition of rushed or unfinished to me.

The cerberus N7, Cerburus defector, and ardat yakshi missions all had similiar snow covered mountain exterior which leads me to a feeling of being rushed because other areas of the design sure don't lack for imagination. Maybe after thinking about it I am jumping on a bandwagoon. Maybe there is a good reason for that.

I'm not really sure what you mean in your last sentence of the first paragraph. If you are talking about how there really isn't a blind fire option, then yeah I guess that's annoying but isn't so much a flaw as a choice.

In regards to the Sentinel class being unbalanced, I can't really argue with you because I have yet to play the Sentinel class. Personally, I've played each game as a Vanguard, and really enjoyed the combat improvements with that class in ME3 vs. ME2. I can't even remember what playing ME1 was like as a Vanguard because Biotic Rush has come to define the Vanguard I feel. Anyway, I'm not one of those people who searches for an exploit as soon as I can find it in a game and then abuses it. If I was I don't think I'd find video games very fun.

I'm not sure if you're complaining about the smoke grenades or acknowledging them as a good tool to get the player to move from his/her cover. If you're complaining about the lack of a way to disperse them, then I think you're missing the point.

I will certainly agree that the input needs some revision, especially on PC (I think it was PC Gamer that said something like, "we have 128 keys and one button does everything"). However, I've adapted to it and rarely does it get me killed anymore. I'm not sure how poor the cover mechanics are aside from the input issues, as they are very hard to separate. I do wish Bioware had found a better "sweet spot" between rolling and taking cover. I seriously doubt that it was an issue of being rushed, however. I think someone at Bioware thought it actually played well like that. Maybe they didn't play enough Gears.

I don't know what you mean by the designers understanding the limitations of their mechanics in ME2. The problem with the system was that the enemy AI never flanked you or tried to get you out from cover. I don't see how that's an inherent limitation of the mechanic. Cover is cover, and if the enemy can get in a position to hit you in said cover, you'll need to move. Simple as that.

Sorry that you played those three missions in a row like that. In hindsight Bioware could have done something more deliberate to space those out I guess. I certainly don't remember playing them in that order, so it seems like that's something only a fraction of people would encounter.

ME3 is by no means a perfect third person shooter. It certainly doesn't stand up to Gears of War or Vanquish in terms of tightness of controls. What Bioware did do however is bridge a pretty far gap between shooters and RPGs, and if there are a few rough patches on that bridge I'm willing to overlook them in return for the branching story, party customization, and exploration that I get in return.

Kem0sabe

I think the time played is artificially padded by Bioware because of the obtuse quest / interaction mechanics in the game.

The fact that you have to stalk the citadel for random convo´s to find side quests take´s a lot of unnecessary time.

Then you have to check the spectre office to see if any of those random convo´s triggered an action prompt in the spectre terminal

The scanning is also ridiculous in it´s implementation, regarding side quests, you go somewhere, you scan a planet, you get an item but unless you exist the map and go to your journal to check if the item is listed in the side quests, your not sure if that's an item you need for your current quests or not. As there is no inventory for quest items and no quest updates.

If the game had a proper journal and convo system for quests, the game time could have been cut to half probably for a full 100% completionist run.

pringles

Argh, I've got ME3 just lying here next to me, unopened..

Still gotta finish up ME2 though, to finish my 'perfect' save file that I decided like 6 months ago to create by playing through 1 and 2 again.

One thing I've realized when playing through 2 again is that with all the DLC it's actually a pretty great game. Just played Lair of the Shadow Broker for the first time and that was amazing, and should have been in the game from the start.

Now I've done everything you can do in 2, only have Reaper IFF, Legion's loyalty mission and the Collector Base left. Then it's on to ME3!

Sojgat

I'm not really sure what you mean in your last sentence of the first paragraph. If you are talking about how there really isn't a blind fire option, then yeah I guess that's annoying but isn't so much a flaw as a choice.

fire from cover then hold down the left trigger(or whatever zoom/aim is on pc) and watch what happens :)

I think the time played is artificially padded by Bioware because of the obtuse quest / interaction mechanics in the game.

The fact that you have to stalk the citadel for random convo´s to find side quests take´s a lot of unnecessary time.

Then you have to check the spectre office to see if any of those random convo´s triggered an action prompt in the spectre terminal

The scanning is also ridiculous in it´s implementation, regarding side quests, you go somewhere, you scan a planet, you get an item but unless you exist the map and go to your journal to check if the item is listed in the side quests, your not sure if that's an item you need for your current quests or not. As there is no inventory for quest items and no quest updates.

If the game had a proper journal and convo system for quests, the game time could have been cut to half probably for a full 100% completionist run.

I don't think it's different from ME1 or ME2 where you a small icon would appear on a random character that you could talk to. The Spectre terminal is just another addition for more content/story. If someone doesn't want to put forth the minimal effort to check it, if that wasn't there and Bioware just laid out every single thing in front of you, people would instantly start complaining how much more streamlined it is.

derFeef

Yeah I always check the different terminals on the Normandy and the Citadel. And as said before, the map shows mission NPC's so if you don't want to check every corner, just check the map if something is there.

Kem0sabe

I don't think it's different from ME1 or ME2 where you a small icon would appear on a random character that you could talk to. The Spectre terminal is just another addition for more content/story. If someone doesn't want to put forth the minimal effort to check it, if that wasn't there and Bioware just laid out every single thing in front of you, people would instantly start complaining how much more streamlined it is.

Take the mentally unstable patient in the citadel hospital,
you only get the quest after you hear the conversation to the end, and then... only if you visit the spectre terminal when there is no motivation to do so.

The lack of any clear quest tracking mechanics is jarring to the average rpg player to say the least. Your forced to scurry around obsessively for every little scrap.

I dunno why, the the game´s side quests never felt "right". Maybe i just have a bad case of selective memory, but i don´t remember questing to be such a hassle in the previous games.

ultron87

So regarding the Rachni (early-mid game spoilers):
Is the mission where you meet Grunt and see the Reaper-made Rachni queen the same if you saved the Rachni in ME1 except it is the actual queen? Or does the queen show up later?

The lack of any clear quest tracking mechanics is jarring to the average rpg player to say the least. Your forced to scurry around obsessively for every little scrap.

I dunno why, the the game´s side quests never felt "right". Maybe i just have a bad case of selective memory, but i don´t remember questing to be such a hassle in the previous games.

Pretty much this for me too. I have adapted to it and it doesn't bother me as much this game. What I have noticed in ME3 is that they have made it more dynamic and therefore more rewarding this time around. For example: sometimes your crewmates will be chatting it up in a different area or different dialogue will be taking place on the Citadel. The last games were always very static when it came to the 'scurrying' around part. Yet I still in every game have meandered around any damn time I complete a quest.

Apart from the quest log being very vague and me having to wiki some quests...I am happy with the non-priority stuff. Although I haven't had a sidequest that was as awesome as the loyalty missions yet.

I'd really appreciate some info on this. I'm afraid to look up this stuff on other websites since I'll likely get spoiled on other things, so if someone could give me a spoiler-free response I'd be grateful.

Reposting my query since it got buried:

Okay so I could use some information to help me with this decision. I'm fairly early on, on the Citadel.

I just encountered Miranda. I romanced her in ME2 and romanced Ash in ME1. Can someone tell me without spoiling anything, if by "leading Miranda on" so to speak, would that ruin my chances with Ashley? Alternatively, would ending things right then with Miranda lock me out of any content or anything? I tried both options just to see Miranda's immediate reaction, and by telling her that I want her in my life I was able to converse with her about her sister/Cerberus etc. (which makes it seem like something will happen regarding that later on in the game), but by saying that we needed to focus on work she just left without a word.

Cake Boss

Banned
So I played the demo, I liked it but one little thing that pisses me off. Is there a reason why the game is fucking black greyier than before? What happened to the colors, ME2 looked great but this ME3 looks like a dudebro version of Dark Souls.

Arjen

So regarding the Rachni (early-mid game spoilers):
Is the mission where you meet Grunt and see the Reaper-made Rachni queen the same if you saved the Rachni in ME1 except it is the actual queen? Or does the queen show up later?

It's the actual queen being held in the cave, you can set her free then

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Free Mass Effect 3: Datapad iOS app now live

Receive emails from squadmates, raise your Galaxy at War score

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-13-free-mass-effect-3-datapad-ios-app-now-live

"EA's free Mass Effect 3: Datapad app is now available to download on iPhone and iPad.
Datapad lets you receive new email messages from squadmates and people you meet in Mass Effect 3.

There's also a Galaxy at War mini-game where you can boost your Mass Effect 3 Galactic Readiness rating.

The mini-game allows you to deploy fleets around the galaxy to scoop up credits and, if logged in with your Origin details, increase your Galactic Readiness.

This rating multiplies the value of War Assets you discover in Mass Effect 3, making it easier to obtain the best outcome in the final battle.

Datapad also allows you to browse your Codex entries, watch trailers for the game and check EA's official Twitter feed. Handy!"

So the people writing these messages are probably some community team or something right?

Seems weird for them to be texting me like this.
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Mass-Effect-3Datapad.jpg (I like how they don't even have an updated picture of
Jack
)

Dave_6

Ok so I imported my renegade femshep from ME2 in which I killed Samara. I just finished the
Sanctuary
mission and I've yet to see Morinth anywhere. Am I just not going to see either one (obviously Samara since she died) or have I missed something?

Patryn

Ok so I imported my renegade femshep from ME2 in which I killed Samara. I just finished the
Sanctuary
mission and I've yet to see Morinth anywhere. Am I just not going to see either one (obviously Samara since she died) or have I missed something?

You get an e-mail from her, then in a later mission she shows up as a named Banshee.

There is a clearly demarcated point, but it's not where you expect.

I'm spoilering the name of the mission where the game locks in your number:
Priority: Cerberus HQ
. At that point your number is your number. The amount you need for the ending that requires the greatest EMS however can either be 4000 or 5000 based on your actions towards the end game. It also requires that you make a specific choice in the ending that isn't obvious.

Salaadin

I wonder if there are any plans for an android version of that app.

Quarian related spoilers:
I was so glad when Tali came back and joined my team. Her and Garrus were my teammates in ME1 and ME2 and thats not changing here. Ill take them both all the way to the end here.

The Quarian/Geth stuff was really cool and really well done. By the end, I actually felt for the geth so that when Legion asked me to upload the code, I went against Talis wishes and did it. She stuck with me though and we talked down the Quarians and both races are working together. I didnt see that coming.

Rannoch was a very nice set of levels too. I wish the reaper fight at the end amounted to more but thats a small complaint.

Solo

In ME2 you'd go to the same exact spot on the Normandy every time to chat with squad members who often had nothing new to say after a mission. It was so mechanical and repetitive. But people prefer that, apparently, lol.

You mean they move around now? That sounds awfully fucking annoying having to run around the ship and endure the 360's loadtimes between floors just to track people down.

Top Bottom