• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

You mean they move around now? That sounds awfully fucking annoying having to run around the ship and endure the 360's loadtimes between floors just to track people down.

Every floor has at least someone to go see..so its not that much different. I mean if you are OCD about it you would go everywhere anyways. It makes it more interesting because you will find them talking with another random crew member sometimes. It's less monotonous than it was the last 2 games, IMO.

kingocfs

You mean they move around now? That sounds awfully fucking annoying having to run around the ship and endure the 360's loadtimes between floors just to track people down.

It's a really nice touch. I didn't even install the game and the load times are completely fine.

Zeliard

They move around because they hang out with each other now. One of the highlights of the game is the banter between various crew members.

Make sure you get the DLC. Ultra shitty that it costs extra, but that character is damn near necessary. I just did a later mission with him where he gave out so much story-critical lore on a certain species -
---Asari---
- that I can't even imagine how that mission even plays without him.

Patryn

Click the right stick to get the map. It'll tell you where people are. It's a super useful feature.

Double D

Am I the only person who can't distinguish between main quests and side quests? Maybe I'm just having a hard time following what's happening here.

Rodhull

You can bring up the map to see where everyone is at any time. Because they tend to congregate together it often means less loading as they won't necessarily be spread across all floors.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

You have access to a map showing every Normandy floors and npcs, so if you want to see James and know which floor he's on, you can just check right away without looking through 5 floors and 5 loading screens. Anyway, the loading screens are 2 secs on PC, it cant seriously be 100x worse on 360.

Zeliard

Am I the only person who can't distinguish between main quests and side quests? Maybe I'm just having a hard time following what's happening here.

The ones tagged Priority are main quests. N7 are side quests, but there are also other planet side quests that don't have a distinctive tag.

The journal is a god awful mess, no doubt about it.

Patryn

Anything marked Priority: is a main quest. Take those on at your own risk, as they will often lock you out from sidequests. I recommend you complete all possible sidequests before tackling any Priority: mission, although be aware that some Citadel: missions open up before you can enter the required clusters.

Arjen

It's really well done actually, now you have crew actually talking to each other, feels much more real.

Solo

Im not playing it yet, so I should add that my "horrendous Normandy loadtimes" quip is from ME1/ME2 experience. Hopefully, as some of you are saying, its faster in ME3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You get an e-mail from her, then in a later mission she shows up as a named Banshee.

There is a clearly demarcated point, but it's not where you expect.

I'm spoilering the name of the mission where the game locks in your number:
Priority: Cerberus HQ
. At that point your number is your number. The amount you need for the ending that requires the greatest EMS however can either be 4000 or 5000 based on your actions towards the end game. It also requires that you make a specific choice in the ending that isn't obvious.

I need like an ending guide.

Arjen

Im not playing it yet, so I should add that my "horrendous Normandy loadtimes" quip is from ME1/ME2 experience. Hopefully, as some of you are saying, its faster in ME3.

I didn't install, and feel it's much better then ME1 and ME2

Melchiah

I've been enjoying the game until yesterday, when I realized
Miranda & Kelly
were dead and several sidequests were gone, as I didn't do things in the order they were supposed to. And the game never really tells you when you should do them to avoid something like this happening. From what I've now read on Wikia, one of the characters even seems a central to the story. What point is there to make an open world game, when you're still forced to do things in a certain (and unknown) order? It would be easier, if there was no choice in the first place, as there would be no chance of missing essential parts of the game, and completionists like me wouldn't have to revert back to some older save, and replay hours and hours of the game. It's fucking frustrating. This just seems like a game you can't play without a guide, if you want to see all the major characters and parts of the story, and get the good ending. [/rant]

Yeah, I was having that issue. Is there any notification that points you towards where the objectives for sidequests are located in each galaxy? It may be that I'm still early in the game
just got Mordin
so I don't have many sidequests, but I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be just blindly traveling into random galaxies with the hopes of finding the area I'm supposed to go to or whether there's something I should be following.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'd really appreciate some info on this. I'm afraid to look up this stuff on other websites since I'll likely get spoiled on other things, so if someone could give me a spoiler-free response I'd be grateful.

Reposting my query since it got buried:

I had the same scenario and did some experimenting, here is what I found.

You can lead Miranda on during that first encounter and still continue other romances for the time being. Be very careful though, as at some point if you continue to pursue Miranda in her follow up appearances you can get locked into that romance and Ashley will automatically be friend zoned. Without spoilering anything, you will probably recognize that moment when its the point of no return. But if you're wondering if you can romance both full scale and eventually theres confrontational catfight ala ME1, there's not. Just whichever romance you hit the trigger event with first becomes your perma romance all others LIs just change over to friend dialogue.

Patryn

Yeah, I was having that issue. Is there any notification that points you towards where the objectives for sidequests are located in each galaxy? It may be that I'm still early in the game
just got Mordin
so I don't have many sidequests, but I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be just blindly traveling into random galaxies with the hopes of finding the area I'm supposed to go to or whether there's something I should be following.

Look at what the quest is prefixed with. If it's Citadel: that will mean you will either find the object during a mission (or miss it, at which point it can be purchased at the Spectre/Alliance Acquisitions terminal), or during scanning.

If it's got any other name than Citadel: or Priority: then it's telling you the specific planet that the object/mission is located. The galaxy map will alert you when scrolling over the cluster if it's an actual mission that involves combat/exploration.

For side stuff, you're supposed to be going into the open cluster and do scanning and the stuff.

Also, you will often receive minor acquisition sidequests before you have access to the cluster/mission where the item is located.

prophecy0

I had the same scenario and did some experimenting, here is what I found.

You can lead Miranda on during that first encounter and still continue other romances for the time being. Be very careful though, as at some point if you continue to pursue Miranda in her follow up appearances you can get locked into that romance and Ashley will automatically be friend zoned. Without spoilering anything, you will probably recognize that moment when its the point of no return. But if you're wondering if you can romance both full scale and eventually theres confrontational catfight ala ME1, there's not. Just whichever romance you hit the trigger event with first becomes your perma romance all others LIs just change over to friend dialogue.

That's all good to know. First encounter with Miranda spoiler/question:
Liara was my LI in ME1, and I switched to Miranda in ME2. I decided to go back to Liara for ME3, especially after all she had done for Shepard. I felt so awful when I told Miranda that things had changed between us and she walked off crying. Does this mean I won't see Miranda again for the rest of the game? Feels bad man :( .

Look at what the quest is prefixed with. If it's Citadel: that will mean you will either find the object during a mission (or miss it, at which point it can be purchased at the Spectre/Alliance Acquisitions terminal), or during scanning.

If it's got any other name than Citadel: or Priority: then it's telling you the specific planet that the object/mission is located. The galaxy map will alert you when scrolling over the cluster if it's an actual mission that involves combat/exploration.

For side stuff, you're supposed to be going into the open cluster and do scanning and the stuff.

Also, you will often receive minor acquisition sidequests before you have access to the cluster/mission where the item is located.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. I must've missed this somewhere or something.

Double D

The ones tagged Priority are main quests. N7 are side quests, but there are also other planet side quests that don't have a distinctive tag.

The journal is a god awful mess, no doubt about it.

If it's labeled Priority on the journal it's main quest.

Hmmm, well I'm not sure I've even used the journal yet (13 hours in). I just go cruising around the galaxy looking for missions. This may clear things up substantially.

Zeliard

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. I must've missed this somewhere or something.

It's never explained in the game or anything like that. You just get a feel for how it works as you go on.

Hmmm, well I'm not sure I've even used the journal yet (13 hours in). I just go cruising around the galaxy looking for missions. This may clear things up substantially.

Don't forget to use your map, especially on the Citadel. That will save you some time, particularly when it comes to turning fetch quests in.

Double D

It's never explained in the game or anything like that. You just get a feel for how it works as you go on.

Don't forget to use your map, especially on the Citadel. That will save you some time, particularly when it comes to turning fetch quests in.

Oh, I've got the map all figured out. I just need to tinker around and see if I've been using the journal or not when I get home tonight. Wouldn't surprise me as I still haven't figured out how to throw a grenade. I thought it would be mapped to the 'G' key, but I guess I need to just look at the key bindings.

Patryn

Oh, I've got the map all figured out. I just need to tinker around and see if I've been using the journal or not when I get home tonight. Wouldn't surprise me as I still haven't figured out how to throw a grenade. I thought it would be mapped to the 'G' key, but I guess I need to just look at the key bindings.

You can only throw grenades if it's one of your abilities, or the ability of a companion. I assume the key would be whatever you bound that specific ability to, same as warp or charge or incinerate.

There aren't generic grenades in this one.

Guys - for some reason something is really messed up with my ME3 game.

Im Level 52, then when i logged in today it said "This game has been played on another console.." or something like this.

I have 385 gamerscore in it, yet when i modded a weapon just then it gave me the "modify a weapon" achievement for hte first time.

It now says i have 10 gamerscore/???? like im level 52 and about 3/4 way through the game, i have all my saved games but it now says im on 10 gamer score?

Has anyone encountered this? i was playing fine last night but im really not sure why its only listing 1 achievement out of 52? my total gamerscore is still the same....

Can anybody on here see their Xbox Live achievements for the game? I tried to compare my Mass Effect 3 game with another user and it told me I had 0 GS.

Same thing happened to me today man - see my post above. last night i had 385 gamer score, now i have zero.

When you started your game today did i t have a weird warning message?

Patryn

Guys - for some reason something is really messed up with my ME3 game.

Im Level 52, then when i logged in today it said "This game has been played on another console.." or something like this.

I have 385 gamerscore in it, yet when i modded a weapon just then it gave me the "modify a weapon" achievement for hte first time.

It now says i have 10 gamerscore/???? like im level 52 and about 3/4 way through the game, i have all my saved games but it now says im on 10 gamer score?

Has anyone encountered this? i was playing fine last night but im really not sure why its only listing 1 achievement out of 52? my total gamerscore is still the same....

Did you get an achievement today? See this thread that talks about how earning an achievement today is activating a bug that resets your achievements/gamer score to 0.

Is the point of no return made clear in the story?

You are very clearly warned, and have to actively agree to proceeding when it comes.

Seriously WTF is up with Kaidan? My gut instinct was to say
no you can't come on the ship after Citadel attack
because he always ends up trying to romance me. Well I changed my mind figuring I might miss some good convos and see him come up as an awesome alliance officer thanks to me. So I let him tag along.

THIS DUDE OMG! I am by no stretch of the imagination a game homophobe but seriously no other romance in this series (I've played all 3 games as my paragon male Shepard) NEVER gives you this many chances at romance does it? I mean I have turned him down what seems like 100 times and yet he still just creeps on me. I feel like a hot girl on FB with all the creepiness I get from him. Why can't he just be okay with our bromance, like Garrus is? I mean the first thing he asked when I put him on the ship "Want to have lunch overlooking the Presidium?" Soon as I saw that I was just like OH GREAT HERE WE GO AGAIN. It makes me feel awkard to turn him down and he always gets so sad about it.

I have beein with Liara the whole time..never cheated or anything. I have turned down a few chicks but they always get the hint. Would Ashley be this persistent if I didn't leave her dumbass with the bomb? Kaidan has moments I'm like U DA MAN KAIDAN ... then he gets all sappy and weird. But I care about him so much regardless.

tl:dr: Kaidan comes on to me too much. I wish he would just be okay with friends.

Liara was my LI in ME1, and I switched to Miranda in ME2. I decided to go back to Liara for ME3, especially after all she had done for Shepard. I felt so awful when I told Miranda that things had changed between us and she walked off crying. Does this mean I won't see Miranda again for the rest of the game? Feels bad man :( .

Seconded. Feels really bad. :( What bugs me the most about it is that while Miranda did start ME2 as pretty bitchy and cold, after she opened up she was there for Shepard through the thick and thin, and would likely continue to be. Ashley dropped Shepard the moment she saw him with Cerberus. She wasn't even really that happy to see he was still alive... that really annoys me.

bengraven

It would be awesome if we could raise our EMS without having to have a tablet or smart phone or by playing multiplayer. ha Hell, I'd take a Facebook game...we who rock 5 year old Blackberries, you know...

Derrick01

Banned
because he always ends up trying to romance me. Well I changed my mind figuring I might miss some good convos and see him come up as an awesome alliance officer thanks to me. So I let him tag along.

THIS DUDE OMG! I am by no stretch of the imagination a game homophobe but seriously no other romance in this series (I've played all 3 games as my paragon male Shepard) NEVER gives you this many chances at romance does it? I mean I have turned him down what seems like 100 times and yet he still just creeps on me. I feel like a hot girl on FB with all the creepiness I get from him. Why can't he just be okay with our bromance, like Garrus is? I mean the first thing he asked when I put him on the ship "Want to have lunch overlooking the Presidium?" Soon as I saw that I was just like OH GREAT HERE WE GO AGAIN. It makes me feel awkard to turn him down and he always gets so sad about it.

I have beein with Liara the whole time..never cheated or anything. I have turned down a few chicks but they always get the hint. Would Ashley be this persistent if I didn't leave her dumbass with the bomb? Kaidan has moments I'm like U DA MAN KAIDAN ... then he gets all sappy and weird. But I care about him so much regardless.

tl:dr: Kaidan comes on to me too much. I wish he would just be okay with friends.

That's part of the reason why Bioware fails romances, particularly gay ones, so badly. They always seem to make them giant uncontrollably horny creepers and they seem to force being gay on some characters.

I mean in ME1 I'm pretty sure Kaiden talks to you about girls and past times with girls and there's no hint at him being gay. And now in 3 he's gay? Uhhh...ok I guess.

Carbonox

I told him to eff off. :lol The guy's an annoying prick in the game. I'm definitely having Ashley in my next save. Only reason Kaidan is in this one is because of my first ME2 save (via Genesis) and I regretted that pretty quickly.

Patryn

That's part of the reason why Bioware fails romances, particularly gay ones, so badly. They always seem to make them giant uncontrollably horny creepers and they seem to force being gay on some characters.

I mean in ME1 I'm pretty sure Kaiden talks to you about girls and past times with girls and there's no hint at him being gay. And now in 3 he's gay? Uhhh...ok I guess.

It's to appease the fans who want to romance character X, but also play as gender Y.

Witness the amount of people who hacked ME2 so they could romance Miranda as FemShep.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Strange... i never feel like Kaidan is trying to seduce my femshep... But that must be because i often choose the bottom choice in dialogue options. My Shepard just told him he's like a brother to her and Kaidan was like "I'm OK with this! :D".

Sojgat

Letting him down was one of the funniest parts of my game though. God Shepard is smooth.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Hah I know I like all the male shep LIs, it was tough picking one.
For your situation, I'm not really sure. I led Miranda on at that first encounter, and continued her storyline while also romancing ashley. I took each romance to the point right before I would be locked into it, then saved my game. Then I loaded the save and played it out each way, once taking it to the next level with Ashley first, then again with Miranda first. In each scenario, the other LI's story still continued, but dialogue options changed from romantic to casual and you couldnt get physical with them. So, if you dumped Miranda right off the bat, I would venture to say her story will still continue just without the romantic element... but Im not sure.

Zeliard

I liked Legion and EDI cracking jokes about each other.

Spoilars:

Legion mocked
EDI's new body for its impracticality and called it "top-heavy," lul

Arjen

Anders had the same problem in Dragon Age 2, so awkward

Achtius

Liara ask me in ME1, I said no
Asked me again in ME2, I told her to keep it professional
Asked me AGAIN in ME3, I told her to stfu.

tl:dr: Liara comes on to me too much. I wish she would just be okay with friends.

edit: end game spoiler

she also tried to give me some weird space sex experience as a parting gift

Liara ask me in ME1, I said no
Asked me again in ME2, I told her to keep it professional
Asked me AGAIN in ME3, I told her to stfu.

tl:dr: Liara comes on to me too much. I wish she would just be okay with friends.

edit: end game spoiler

she also tried to give me some weird space sex experience as a parting gift
That wasnt sex, that was her sharing her memories with you.

Top Bottom