• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Yes it does get a lot better especially since you know that the trilogy is coming to an end. I enjoyed it till the last 5 minutes, and it is bittersweet. I love the series, crappy ending and all, and I actually like that the 3 games all have a different feel and atmosphere to them. I think Jeff from Giant Bomb said it best, this series should be given enough time, resources, to make it a showstopper because it is one of those franchises that has that potential to be one of gamings greatest franchises. Its not like they dont have the sales, and a large amount of us will eat up the dlc. Alast, ME3 was great, much like ME2 and ME1.

To make a sports analogy, the Mass Effect series is the Vince Carter of video games. Could've have been legendary but was content to be merely good.

Edit: It's a shame that the Mass Effect trilogy will probably be remembered more for untapped potential than the fact that 99% of the games were good.

Montresor

Dammit.

Spoiler on the very minor side quest
Citadel: Barla Von
. Jesus christ this stupid game and the randomly disappearing mini quests after certain missions. I completed the main priority mission
Tuchanka
and now it looks like I'm unable to finish
Citadel: Barla Von.... it says he's at the bank but he's nowhere to be found. Ugh. And now the side quest will stay on my journal forever it seems

I didn't have that happen with the same quest, but yeah. It will drive you crazy. I had a quest that I was unable to finish from the DLC, and it stayed right there at the top of my list the entire game taunting me.

I don't know how they made such an unbelievably horrible quest system. It's baffling, to say the least.

Dammit.

Spoiler on the very minor side quest
Citadel: Barla Von
. Jesus christ this stupid game and the randomly disappearing mini quests after certain missions. I completed the main priority mission
Tuchanka
and now it looks like I'm unable to finish
Citadel: Barla Von.... it says he's at the bank but he's nowhere to be found. Ugh. And now the side quest will stay on my journal forever it seems

Yeah most any quest involving the Citidel you get early on needs to be done before you finish Tuchanka since after that they swap what NPCs are standing aronud the Citidel. Horrible.

Though in hindsight those quests barely matter.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yes it does get a lot better especially since you know that the trilogy is coming to an end. I enjoyed it till the last 5 minutes, and it is bittersweet. I love the series, crappy ending and all, and I actually like that the 3 games all have a different feel and atmosphere to them. I think Jeff from Giant Bomb said it best, this series should be given enough time, resources, to make it a showstopper because it is one of those franchises that has that potential to be one of gamings greatest franchises. Its not like they dont have the sales, and a large amount of us will eat up the dlc. Alast, ME3 was great, much like ME2 and ME1.

To make a sports analogy, the Mass Effect series is the Vince Carter of video games. Could've have been legendary but was content to be merely good.

Edit: It's a shame that the Mass Effect trilogy will probably be remembered more for untapped potential than the fact that 99% of the games were good.

it's really a shame. Short dev cycles killed it. The last one could come at the end of the generation. I think I'll hold my playthrough until they expand the ending. This will be at least something.

But still there is so much potential untrealized.... I have hopes that the next generation will allow them to store more stuff in the memory to have more reactive environment, AI and more content. Also planets may return. The reason they killed them is that they couldn't make them look good on the current hardware. UE3 performs atrociusly when it comes to open environments.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's really a shame. Short dev cycles killed it. The last one could come at the end of the generation. I think I'll hold my playthrough until they expand the ending. This will be at least something.

But still there is so much potential untrealized.... I have hopes that the next generation will allow them to store more stuff in the memory to have more reactive environment, AI and more content. Also planets may return. The reason they killed them is that they couldn't make them look good on the current hardware. UE3 performs atrociusly when it comes to open environments.
Without getting into spoiler territory, the ending isn't something that can be fixed merely by extending it. The only good thing would be to replace it by something else.

subversus

Without getting into spoiler territory, the ending isn't something that can be fixed merely by extending it. The only good thing would be to replace it by something else.

I'm not waiting for a fix, I'm waiting for them to expand on it a bit.

they shld have given a boot to that MP concept ,instead focus on sp .

subversus

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I spent more time in MP than in SP so far. The separate team worked on this anyway. They just ripped already good core mechanics from SP and ported them into MP. It's not even that balanced so I doubt it took them a long time.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I spent more time in MP than in SP so far. The separate team worked on this anyway. They just ripped already good core mechanics from SP and ported them into MP. It's not even that balanced so I doubt it took them a long time.

the mp team could have worked on improving certain areas of story and give an MGS4 style ending.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The combat in the game got old so fast. There was so little variety to the enemies and encounter designs. The game really needed 50% more in every department, just like KOTOR2 it feels half-baked (though still entertaining for most of the duration).

Nah, the MP was worked on by a separate team. The real issue I think was the 18 month development time. Maybe giving the team another year or even six months would've allowed them to develop more questlines like the Priority Rannoch or Priority Tuchanka.

Instead what we have is a game that has several sections that were obviously worked on very hard by the team and made an emotional impact on a lot of people but they are bookends for sections where the plot is sort of railroaded in there.

Consider this:

Aside from the DLC character, you have no control over when you get your squadmates. Mass Effect 2 gave you some choice in this matter. In ME3, you always get Squadmate A at plotpoint B and Squadmate C after plot point D.

Every single character in ME2 except for 1 is reduced to a minor cameo. One of them has a sidequest that is literally the same as their loyalty quest in ME2.

The Rachni. After two games of convincing us how big this decision was going to be, it amounted to a couple points of war assets. It also does not matter what did to the Queen in ME1 because the mission plays out EXACTLY the same with the diversion point being told to you in short conversation.

The ending. It pretty much screams "I had five minutes to hand in my essay so I just winged it."

And the thing is, the game is so good that if it had a half decent ending, the fans likely would have forgiven some of its flaws. Instead, the ending is a complete abomination and is a constant reminder of how the development cycle really hurt ME3's plot.

subversus

Nah, the MP was worked on by a separate team. The real issue I think was the 18 month development time. Maybe giving the team another year or even six months would've allowed them to develop more questlines like the Priority Rannoch or Priority Tuchanka.

source?? or is it just an assumption? This can't be true, they had 24 months at the least.

spekkeh

Banned

Haha no. The reason all that is not in, and the development cycle is relatively short, is because the ME series is not exactly AAA territory. So far the game has sold about 1.5M copies. In the end, with all the marketing push, I guess the game would just about break even. Putting more stuff in would not make any sense businesswise.

subversus

Haha no. The reason all that is not in, and the development cycle is relatively short, is because the ME series is not exactly AAA territory. So far the game has sold about 1.5M copies. In the end, with all the marketing push, I guess the game would just about break even. Putting more stuff in would not make any sense businesswise.

Which game? The first one did about 3.7 million copies and about one million copies in 3 weeks. The second one sold a little bit better. This one sells much better right out of the gate. And it will make quite a lot of money, not tons though.

I have to agree with you though. EA look at this from sales/expenses point of view and they do a basic calculation: we spend this much time developing it, we spend this much to market it and the game will make this much money in the end. So you guys have this much time to develop it, like it or not.

They also look at it as a growing franchise. Ray Muzyka and Ricitiello said in a very straight manner that they are looking to broadening the audience, thus MP inclusion and more action-oriented focus. But EA's execs don't understand RPGs that much and that is why they grow the franchise in a wrong way. RPGs need some nurturing and iteration time, they are very risky investments with a very niche audience. They grow at pretty slow pace through word of mouth rather than flashy ads. Basically if you want to do complex RPGs just to make money on them you're an idiot because it's a gamble + a lot of investments and hard work. You can succeed only if you love doing RPGs, you are good at doing them and you're successful enough to make ends meet until the franchise grows popular enough and may be you even make a huge breakout hit. CD Project said that they had expectations of 30% growth for The Witcher 2 and it did slightly better than that. Bethesda have beed doing their RPGs for a long time before they reached (Sky)rim. But none of these companies said "we want everybody to buy our shit so we do this and that just to widen the audience". Bethesda have always set their own internal goals of what they want to achieve in gameplay department for each title and CD Project aimed their project at a very narrow niche but they believed in this niche and did everything to appeal to them.

Molyneux has said in his recent interview that his biggest regret about Fable 3 is that he wasn't able to convince the publisher to give them more time to fix the game and flesh out King's mechanic. I think Hudson can say the same now. He's not able to convince his bosses to spend more time on the game. The composers who worked with Bioware said that they are very focused on not exceeding their development time since the moment EA bought them.

the bottom line: RPGs are made for a rather sofisticated audience which is not dumb and can tell when it's quality and when it's shit. RPGs are complex games to make and they are easy to fuck up. The Doctors understand this but EA don't. They don't understand the audience that made Bioware into AAA-developer and I think we will start seeing how it affects sales in a negative way in the next 5 years. Also I think more and more talented people leaving Bioware (may be even Hudson). We already see this with the departure of Knowles, Karpychin and some other devs turned into indies.

and it's not like nobody does RPGs better than Bioware. Other studios up their game all the time. Eidos Montreal, CD Project, Bethesda and even those euro studios who made Risen and Two Worlds are constantly improving their content. Two Worlds 1 was trash but Two Worlds II wasn't bad at all and it seems that Risen 2 has improved much in comparison to the first game. Look at the jump that The Witcher made. Skyrim was a massive improvement in graphics, stability and overall quality of the game.

Everybody is trying to improve their games except Bioware who just try to sell more of their games.

mozfan12

Banned
Definitely agree that there needed to be more enemy variety. The scanning system was atrocious, the sidequests were bleh, the game was bug ridden, the god awful ending, and in spite of that the game is still good for the most part. Specifically about halfway through, the game finally started answering questions and resolving disputes that had been integral over the length of the series. The combat was solid, if not great, and progression and customization was much better. The leveling system still needs improvement but at least there were more options than in ME2. Some of the character interactions were definitely some of the best in the series. Even got me a little emotional which I did not expect. The music was a return to form, though I still prefer ME1's soundtrack. Its definitely an uneven experience and overall I still rate it highly but the potential was all there to add an extra edge of quality which in part could have been done with another 6-7 months. Really would a November release not have been posssible?

Ima wait for my second playthrough as renegade till they add the epilogue, as well as any possible dlc.

Zalasta

I guess I'm in the minority. On insanity I've found the combat to be merely average. Horrible A.I. (teammates are close to worthless), bad level designs, and the fact is you can die without ever knowing where the enemies are firing from. All demonstrated to me that Bioware made little improvements in the system. I enjoyed the game, but it is flawed, just like its predecessors.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not waiting for a fix, I'm waiting for them to expand on it a bit.
That's because you haven't seen it yet :p

I guess I'm in the minority. On insanity I've found the combat to be merely average. Horrible A.I. (teammates are close to worthless), bad level designs, and the fact is you can die without ever knowing where the enemies are firing from. All demonstrated to me that Bioware made little improvements in the system. I enjoyed the game, but it is flawed, just like its predecessors.
You're not alone. Combat was entertaining, but not enough...

subversus

AI is awesome, one of the best in years. I was amazed as I didn't expect it at all. Squadmates are totally dumb though.

Liamario

Banned
I haven't had a desktop PC in well over a decade and even then, it wasn't mine and wasn't used for gaming.
In college, I still didn't have a computer for myself. In fact, it wasn't till after I got educated that I had money to actually buy myself a laptop. They're convenient and sufficient for what I wanted out of it.

Until this week, I have never actually owned a desktop computer.....

I have just played the Mass Effect 3 demo on my new PC (already completed the game on the PS3) and it was amazing. The game was running at 60fps at 1080p and it was a wonderful experience. I don't think I'll be going back to my consoles any time soon.

AI is awesome, one of the best in years. I was amazed as I didn't expect it at all. Squadmates are totally dumb though.
Are you referring specifically to insanity difficulty? Most of the AI seemed abysmal to me while playing. The
Atlas Mechs and Brutes
were the worst, because you just had to circle strafe something in the environment to completely break them.
Banshees
were pretty much the only things in the game that ever made me change up tactics/make me uncomfortable.

I have just played the Mass Effect 3 demo on my new PC (already completed the game on the PS3) and it was amazing. The game was running at 60fps at 1080p and it was a wonderful experience. I don't think I'll be going back to my consoles any time soon.
I don't know if it fits your interests or budget, but you should give Witcher 2 a spin if you really want to be wowed by a pc game. : )

subversus

Are you referring specifically to insanity difficulty? Most of the AI seemed abysmal to me while playing. The
Atlas Mechs and Brutes
were the worst, because you just had to circle strafe something in the environment to completely break them.
Banshees
were pretty much the only things in the game that ever made me change up tactics/make me uncomfortable.

no, I'm refering to any difficulty. I can write a lot about AI in this game as I have analyzed it in MP. Every unit has a role and does this role perfectly. Not everybody has to be extremely smart, fast and agressive at the same time. A player has to live.

I'm hungry now, I'll write a big post about AI later.

Moaradin

I thought the AI was very good. Each enemy was different from each other, which couldn't really be said about ME1 and ME2. The only difference in those games were their shields and barriers.

subversus

I thought the AI was very good. Each enemy was different from each other, which couldn't really be said about ME1 and ME2. The only difference in those games were their shields and barriers.

they compliment each other. One enemy can be a big stupid tank pinning you down, the other two can divert your attention by firing at you and outflanking you and while you are busy with them some bitch with katana sneaks up on you and make you run with 0 shields right into the turret which was set up by an engineer.

Combat was a bit toned down for campaign by building pretty specific scenarios. MP is where it's at.

Montresor

they compliment each other. One enemy can be a big stupid tank pinning you down, the other two can divert your attention by firing at you and outflanking you and while you are busy with them some bitch with katana sneaks up on you and make you run with 0 shields right into the turret which was set up by an engineer.

Combat was a bit toned down for campaign by building pretty specific scenarios. MP is where it's at.

I'm honestly glad I don't even have to touch MP. I don't know what it's like and I don't feel like finding out either. I feel so dirty because that's so god-damn close-minded, haha, but there it is.

And the beauty of it all is that I just popped that Defender achievement thanks to the iOS app.

MNC

Aaahhh the story of Mass Effect 3. My version.

Starts the game: "What the fuck why is everyone running so stupidly like that???!!"
Somewhat into the game: "The graphics are awesome, and the atmosphere are well done!"
Middle part: "WHY THE HELL DO THEY NOT BOTHER UPDATING THE MISSION LOG!"
Middle part (02): "Damn this is awesome!"
Middle part (03): "Tuchanka! *worship* Rannoch! *worship*"
Somewhat to the end: "Damn this is intense!"
End part: "Goddamnit so many brutes and banshees! HOLD THE LINE! INTENSE FIGHT!"

Ending: "What the fuck?"
Post ending: "What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck!"
I feel exactly the same. The me3 intro gameplay might be one of the worst ever. Everything after keeps on being awesome right until the end. That and the fact choices mean horseshit in this game

Moaradin

I feel exactly the same. The me3 intro gameplay might be one of the worst ever. Everything after keeps on being awesome right until the end. That and the fact choices mean horseshit in this game

There were plenty of big choices before the ending. Biggest in the series, in fact.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm honestly glad I don't even have to touch MP. I don't know what it's like and I don't feel like finding out either. I feel so dirty because that's so god-damn close-minded, haha, but there it is.

And the beauty of it all is that I just popped that Defender achievement thanks to the iOS app.

You don't know what you're missing out. It's addicting, it's fun to play with other people and you get to play as something else than Shepard. Krogans, salarians, asaris, turians, drells, geths, batarians...

Sucks to be you if you're that close-minded yeah.

Moaradin

This is the wrong thread for this argument, but the ending ruins all the choice in the series.

I read that as the choices before the ending didn't mean anything. The choices for the main missions in this game are bigger and have more consequences than anything in ME1 and ME2 that's for sure. Of course, it wouldn't mean much in the end.

Minamu

The planet Aequitas is showing up as a mission planet but I can't land. This is apparently a known bug. Will it have any impact on my other missions? I'm trying to get the insanity achievements at the moment.

Sai

The planet Aequitas is showing up as a mission planet but I can't land. This is apparently a known bug. Will it have any impact on my other missions? I'm trying to get the insanity achievements at the moment.
Nah, just ignore it.

subversus

well, the game has high and low points, it's not consistent. Also it feels like focused even more on cinematic approach to the detriment of player's input and gameplay in general.

I'm generally dissapointed.

Nekofrog

Banned
Okay, I will admit to not having read much of this OT or any other ME3 thread simply because of spoilers and trying to go in blind (which, tbh at this point is really hard to do what with the backlash against the game).

I just started playing on PC two days ago and I am finding it VERY difficult to find the motivation to continue. I bought the first ME on 360 when it came out and plowed through it, LOVED THE FUCKING GAME TO DEATH. Everything about it was exactly what I wanted in an RPG and a game in general.

Anticipated ME2 but kept myself mostly in the dark about it. Let's just say I was... less than overjoyed upon playing it and seeing all the changes that had been made (gameplay wise and narrative wise). I still played through it multiple times, and each time I found myself liking the Mass Effect universe less and less, due to what had been done to it by the writing staff.

I held off playing ME3 until I could put my new PC together, which I just did last week. Installed and booted it up and was greeted with an beginning sequence that was miles ahead of ME2's in quality, great. Then I actually took control and began fighting alongside
Anderson
. Immediately I noticed something was off; something didn't feel right. It was the FOV, but I let it slide and kept playing. After about 10 minutes, the intro "level" was wrapped up and I sat there saying to myself "the fuck, is that IT?"

Cut scene after unending cut scene, I waited. Finally I regained control and kept playing. Then it hit me; I AM RUNNING AROUND LIKE A MORON POINTING MY WEAPON AT FRIENDLIES AND COMPUTER CONSOLES. I know this is probably old news to you guys, but holy shit you have no idea how much this bothers me when I play. I don't even necessarily need HOLSTERING (though it would be SO NICE). If Shep would just LOWER HIS WEAPON when not in direct combat, it would be so much more tolerable.

I'm the kind of guy that when playing an RPG, I try and make the character act how I would. If I am not in combat, I put my weapon away. I can't stand running through long stretches of combat-less corridors and still having my weapon drawn. I know, it's a nonissue to a lot (majority) of people, but to me it takes away a LOT of the role playing aspect of the game.

Suddenly, out of nowhere it's stated that
The Protheans actually were putting up a fight against the Reapers and had them NEARLY defeated, but that they ran out of time.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where did THIS retcon come from? REALLY? They spend 2 games building up to the big bad reapers and
the protheans actually had them on the ropes
? YEEUUUGH.

tl;dr does this game get any better? I'm only 2 hours in and already I want to pull my hair out :\

subversus

tl;dr does this game get any better? I'm only 2 hours in and already I want to pull my hair out :\

you can mod holstering in on PC but no, it's not getting really better. It has some high points (arguably the best in series) but overall it FEELS worse than ME 1-2. I'm in the same boat now. Something definitely feels off. Like the game lacks soul.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Suddenly, out of nowhere it's stated that
The Protheans actually were putting up a fight against the Reapers and had them NEARLY defeated, but that they ran out of time.
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where did THIS retcon come from? REALLY? They spend 2 games building up to the big bad reapers and
the protheans actually had them on the ropes
? YEEUUUGH.

Man, if that makes you want to pull your hair out, DO NOT DO the last mission until Bioware finish the free ending DLC and hopefully fix most of the issues with it.

The midgame is definitely the best part of ME3 though. Keep playing, but if you still hate it after Tuchanka, you better stop playing completely.

Nekofrog, you sound like you're going through what I had happen.

Hang in there. The first ten hours or so are fairly mediocre with some dumb contrivances, but it will really pick up later. It stays pretty solid for a while, then it will get a little generic near the end. Then... Yeah. If you do mirror my experience, you'll stop caring before it gets good, enjoy it when it does get good, and feel apathetic sbout the ending being what it is, because you'll have already gotten over the disappointment by then.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The more I play this game, the more I'm appreciating what they did and managed to accomplish. The exact opposite happened with DA2. I'm really looking forward to the summer dlc which I hope will fix my biggest issue.

Moaradin

Choices are big, but consequences are either non existant or change a simple number in your EMS.

I'd consider some of the main missions to have the biggest choices/consequences in the series. Can't really think of anything bigger than
Tuchanka
or
Rannoch

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd consider some of the main missions to have the biggest choices/consequences in the series. Can't really think of anything bigger than
Tuchanka
or
Rannoch

Right, big choices...little to no consequence except for EMS numbers.

Moaradin

Right, big choices...little to no consequence except for EMS numbers.

We are talking about story impact right? Because that's what matters here. ME1 virmire hardly had any gameplay impact if you chose Ashley or Kaiden. They are practically copy/paste characters with little story significance.

- J - D -

Since Bioware have stated that ME3 is the end of all endeavors of the cast of the ME series as we've known them, none of what you did for the Geth and the Quarians and the Krogan really matter, because Bioware has made it impossible for themselves to follow up, due to the craptastic nature of the ending.

So really, none of it matters.

So, if we remove ourselves from that, all that's left is gameplay structure, and Virmire stands atop everything else in the ME series in design.

DTKT

Well, it's still a bummer that the only thing you get for completing missions like Tutchanka or Rannoch are some points. Points that do not translate into anything significant during the ending.

So yes, the story within each quest is awesome. But in the end, it doesn't amount to anything.

So much missed opportunities. :|

Moaradin

We'll see what they do with the ending DLC. They said they want to make the ending more personalized. Hopefully that means our choices made throughout the game will reflect on the ending more.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I highly recommend people visit Huerta Memorial Hospital multiple times and go and listen to the two Asari talking. As soon as you get off the elevator go to the right. You'll see the two of them sitting on chairs talking to each other.

Not sure if you can just stand there, but I would go to a different level and return to continue her story.

You don't directly interact with them. I didn't notice until I finally turned on subtitles and it caught my interest.

Ultimately you find out why she wants that gun

Top Bottom