• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Just finished. I can't understand why people were so outraged about the ending(s).
I mean it's not like there wasn't closure or anything...oh well.

The finale was a bit underwhelming though
I'd have liked a big-ass boss to take down before going in the citadel
I think I still prefer ME2, as it felt less TPS and more RPG. But well...take ME2 with ME3's combat system = pure awesome.

I liked :
+ The combat system.
+ The weight system, it adds to the balance of the game.
+ Some epic moments.
+ The music.
+ As I played a male Shepard, Traynor's preferences came as a surprised...you beat me at chess AND broke my heart, ha ha. I didn't think they would've the balls to include homosexual relationships in the game.

I disliked :
- Oh come on the majority of sidequests is shit.
- They achieved in making the mineral-seeking system even worse. I mean, it's numbingly boring.
- Bugged sidequests.
- James. You're cool bro, but you're useless.
- Only 5 squadmates ? Such a downgrade from ME2...and no krogan in my squad :(
- They aborted Tali's arc (the dying star from ME2).
- No hubworlds like before. Citadel is cool to explore, but for the entire game ? Nope.
- Less paragon/renegade interrupts than before.
- Yeah overall the choices aren't really important.
- The new Normandy. What a piece of crap. I liked roaming in it in ME2, it was classy, sleek and nice to explore. In ME3 ? It's cluttered, dark and without personality.

I liked it, but well. I think it could've been much better. For me ME2 > ME3 > ME1.

rozay

Banned
Finally beat it this weekend and tbh, I didn't mind the ending at all. Sure it was in no way a "good" ending, but the amount of complaining and whinging about it just strikes me as completely silly.
Just finished. I can't understand why people were so outraged about the ending(s).
I mean it's not like there wasn't closure or anything...oh well.
first post of the spoiler thread has the reasons!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
they released the patch which is supposed to fix face import but it's not my Shepard. I'm starting the game because I don't give a fuck. I don't feel attachement to this character they way I'm supposed to feel.

I'll try not to buy Bioware games anymore. Never say never but I'll do my best.

Dreaver

Finished ME3 last week. Loved the whole game including the ending. I honestly don't think the ending deservers this much hate. I understand why not everyone likes it but it isn't that bad. Anyways, I won't go into details in this thread about it.

Liked
- Gameplay (including the new weight system)
-
GARRUS <3
- Most priority missions (the story)
- The ending
- Return of characters from ME2
- Music, Graphics and that kind of stuff
- Multiplayer

Disliked
- Squad members
- No holstering, quest log
- Side quests

Easily the best Mass Effect so far.

What would you guys like to see for the next Mass Effect game? A prequel?
A sequel like 400 years later?

I'd personally love to see an Halo: ODST-like Mass Effect game. Play as an Alliance soldier on earth and witness the events on earth. Alone, without teammates with better shooter mechanics (and more RPG). "A dark grimmy" atmosphere where you need to survive. I'd love that, with a lot of dark parts like
The dark Rachni cave or the catacombs on Tuchanka
. It could even tie-in with certain Mass Effect 3 things (like meeting Udina/Hackett).

rozay

Banned
they released the patch which is supposed to fix face import but it's not my Shepard. I'm starting the game because I don't give a fuck. I don't feel attachement to this character they way I'm supposed to feel.

I'll try not to buy Bioware games anymore. Never say never but I'll do my best.
was yours this good?
MCdZW.png

subversus

looks like the fat version of my Shepard.

Anyway after I saw what happened to Ashley and Anderson's faces I'm extremely happy with my Shepard, lol. WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE?!

also will I choose between two options of the same response throughout the entire game?

rozay

Banned
looks like the fat version of my Shepard.

Anyway after I saw what happened to Ashley and Anderson's faces I'm extremely happy with my Shepard, lol. WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE?!

also will I choose between two options of the same response throughout the whole game?
neutral option is completely gone, but you get more Investigate options later.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finished ME3 last week. Loved the whole game including the ending. I honestly don't think the ending deservers this much hate. I understand why not everyone likes it but it isn't that bad. Anyways, I won't go into details in this thread about it.

Liked
- Gameplay (including the new weight system)
-
GARRUS <3
- Most priority missions (the story)
- The ending
- Return of characters from ME2
- Music, Graphics and that kind of stuff
- Multiplayer

Disliked
- Squad members
- No holstering, quest log
- Side quests

Easily the best Mass Effect so far.

What would you guys like to see for the next Mass Effect game? A prequel?
A sequel like 400 years later?

I'd personally love to see an Halo: ODST-like Mass Effect game. Play as an Alliance soldier on earth and witness the events on earth. Alone, without teammates with better shooter mechanics (and more RPG). "A dark grimmy" atmosphere where you need to survive. I'd love that, with a lot of dark parts like
The dark Rachni cave or the catacombs on Tuchanka
. It could even tie-in with certain Mass Effect 3 things (like meeting Udina/Hackett).

Why would I want a mass effect game where all I do is shoot husks in a boring, grey ruins and only other people I may meet are humans instead of meeting aliens and zooming all over the galaxy going to other worlds?

subversus

the opening to ME2 was better. Also I feel urge to stop playing because it's somehow almost my Shepard and I feel sort of connected again. fuck Bioware. I'll play through this, bitches, and if I don't like the ending I'll be do everything to stop people from buying your games in the future.

RedAssedApe

Banned

The main issue I had with the endings is
that regardless of the choice you make at the end, the endings are all almost exactly the same. They give you three choices but the only real difference is the color of the beam that fires through the crucible and mass relays. There aren't any scenes that show you what the actual repercussions and consequences of your decision are.

Also, being that this is supposed to be the end of the Mass Effect Trilogy, without any further exposition, the Normandy, "Shepard" breathing, and "secret" ending dialogue all end up looking like cliff hangars that scream "TO BE CONTINUED IN A SEQUEL".

With all that being said...that ending did not ruin the game for me. Outside of some of the weak side-quests and some weird UI design issues (shitty quest log, armor/weapon management) I loved the game and the story had me hooked. I felt less trolled than I did with FFXIII-2's ending TBH.

NeOak

*Post rating about the "ending"*

*Include
Shepard taking a gasp after "dying" in the Renegade ending, along with the shitload of promises and plot holes
rant*

*End post*

first post of the spoiler thread has the reasons!
In fact, after I've seen the other endings, I stand corrected WTF is this ?

I loved the game and the story had me hooked. I felt less trolled than I did with FFXIII-2's ending TBH.

Well at least in FFXIII2's case you KNOW there will be more to it. There will be DLC / Ultima guide / a sequel that won't leave the things hanging like that.
Hell there's even a "to be continued"

In ME3's case ? Not so sure (even if DLC is bound to be released now...)

subversus

well, it was linear.
Also I hate scripted chased sequences. What is the point if you know that you can't catch her

So far graphics and combat are the only improvements I see. Mass Effect 2 felt better at this point. Also lol @ how they have redone all faces. Liara is the only one recognizable. I'm on Citadel now I hope the game gets better from this point.

rozay

Banned
well, it was linear.
Also I hate scripted chased sequences. What is the point if you know that you can't catch her

So far graphics and combat are the only improvements I see. Mass Effect 2 felt better at this point. Also lol @ how they have redone all faces. Liara is the only one recognizable. I'm on Citadel now I hope the game gets better from this point.
beginning and ending were the weakest parts of the game to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
well, it was linear.

It gets better, but nowhere near ME2 levels on any respect (I'd argue that even the graphics look worse). I didn't like ME2 all that much (the atrocious corridor design, the massive retconning, the Arrival-all of it, the dismissal of your past choices, etc.), but ME3 is easily the weakest of the series.

I don't see ME3 getting nowhere near as many GOTY awards as ME2. Probably serves Bioware right...

- J - D -

well, it was linear.

Actually, I think Liara's face changed the most from 2 to 3. Well, maybe aside from Ashley. Were the rest really unrecognizable to you? I'll assume you were just exaggerating.

RedAssedApe

Banned
In fact, after I've seen the other endings, I stand corrected WTF is this ?
Well at least in FFXIII2's case you KNOW there will be more to it. There will be DLC / Ultima guide / a sequel that won't leave the things hanging like that.
Hell there's even a "to be continued"

In ME3's case ? Not so sure (even if DLC is bound to be released now...)

Bioware already announced free DLC that will elaborate on the ending(s). Hopefully it clarifies what actually happens to the universe based on your decision at the end of the game.

It gets better, but nowhere near ME2 levels on any respect (I'd argue that even the graphics look worse). I didn't like ME2 all that much (the atrocious corridor design, the massive retconning, the Arrival-all of it, the dismissal of your past choices, etc.), but ME3 is easily the weakest of the series.

I don't see ME3 getting nowhere near as many GOTY awards as ME2. Probably serves Bioware right...

I personally think ME2 was the worst game in the series. Story was much better in ME1 and ME3 actually ended up doing a fairly good job of tying it all together and making ME2 seem at least somewhat relevant (with its introduction of Cerberus).

zkylon

zkylewd
I personally think ME2 was the worst game in the series. Story was much better in ME1 and ME3 actually ended up doing a fairly good job of tying it all together and making ME2 seem at least somewhat relevant (with its introduction of Cerberus).
Yeah, actually, you're right, ME3's story is way better than ME2's, but I find the execution to be a lot clunkier, with a lot less conversation options (the neutral option's MIA, the paragon and renegade special dialogues are much less frequently, so now it's pretty much all conversations end in insta-win), side-quests devoid of any player input (in ME2 you'd be presented with a choice every now and then), etc.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, actually, you're right, ME3's story is way better than ME2's, but I find the execution to be a lot clunkier, with a lot less conversation options (the neutral option's MIA, the paragon and renegade special dialogues are much less frequently, so now it's pretty much all conversations end in insta-win), side-quests devoid of any player input (in ME2 you'd be presented with a choice every now and then), etc.

Yeah I guess I'm just more likely to give a pass on things when I get hooked by a story. Maybe I'm the worst kind of gamer giving story and presentation precedence over gameplay mechanics and design. LOL

subversus

I like my N7 hoodie. I still can't understand how to scroll down in my inbox. There is an arrow floating but it doesn't react.

Liara looks like she does in LotSB, which is probably what he is basing it on.

yeah, I am.

also Liara just scared me shitless by turning her neck by 180 degrees like an owl.

zkylon

zkylewd
how do I scroll down in my inbox? I'm on PC.

also it's nice to have fans!
Mousewheel? They added some mouse support to PC, so you can do things like double click on the desired unlock to upgrade your powers. There's ZERO keyboard support, though. At least they fixed that thing in which pressing ESC while on examining a planet didn't take you back to the Normandy like in ME2.

Yeah I guess I'm just more likely to give a pass on things when I get hooked by a story. Maybe I'm the worst kind of gamer giving story and presentation precedence over gameplay mechanics and design. LOL
To me, decisions in Mass Effect are the story and they're way more important than the Reapers, Cerberus and who I'll bedroom with. ME2 was terrible in that regard too, but ME3 takes it to the next level. It just happens that joining Cerberus (and everything that happens on The Arrival) is a lot more idiotic than going back to the Alliance, so you end up not minding it as much. That's my experience, anyways.

Also, ME3 has the worst cast in the series.

Replicant

Infiltrator. The time I got past it I brought Garrus and EDI.
Prior to that, Liara and James (didn't work).

I can get past it again, but I'll need a few days more, I've started replaying ME2 and am about 1/2 through.

Side note, going back to the mechanics of 2 is really hard. And I forgot how fucking tedious That One Sidequest was.

Okay, I may be able to help. My class was Infiltrator too. I chose Defense Drone as extra power and that helped immensely. Always unleash Defense Drone to the enemy the minute a battle breaks out. It'll help guard your perimeter so that no enemies can sneak behind you, if they do, well, they'll get some nice electrocution from the Drone.

I brought Javik and James with me because they're both technically the members with the most HP. I maxed James HP so that it got up to 1325 both shield and HP. If you've done a good job of raising their stats, it's rare they die more than two times during battle (as long as you use their power efficiently). Liara and EDI are members with the weakest HP, I can't believe you'd even bring them to the final battle. James and Javik also have bombs, which are *very* beneficial when fighting Brutes. But you must remember not to waste these bombs on anything else but Brutes and maybe Banshees.

I brought with me a Mantis and a Chakram Launcher (a free weapon I got from playing Kingdom of Amalur demo). I upgraded both to level 5 and mod each with damage increase. With Chakram Launcher, I also paired it with disruptor ammo (or any fire-based ammo). All I had to do when Banshees show up is to spam them with Chakram Launcher alternating with Incinerate (a basic biotic power you should have if you choose Infiltrator class). And since I only brought Mantis and Chakram Launcher, my recharge time was something like 116%, which means I can spam Incinerate quite a bit. Banshee should go down in no time.

Also, at the beginning of that battle, there's a giant weapon you can use to wipe out at least one of the Brutes. And if you lucky, you maybe able to wipe out two of them. That should lessened the amount of enemies you have to fight. The rest of the Brutes you should destroy using James/Javik/Your own bombs. Keep your Chakram Launcher for Banshees if possible and use your Incinerate power after using 1 bomb from each character. Remember to spread your bomb use for the 5 or so Brutes. If you need refresh Bombs, there should be some in one of the stores to your left or right.

Keep moving around and use your invisibility cloak whenever you need to move out of a cover because you know those Marauders or Cannibals would target you otherwise. Don't forget to unleash the Defense Drone from time to time to be your bodyguard. There should be 2 medpacks on the left and 2 medpacks on the right store should you need it. But try to keep at least 8 medpacks by the time you arrive to that fight so you have as many medpacks as you need to heal the friends. Also, don't forget to do Chakwas' sub-mission to improve your medigel's effectiveness. With Infiltrator as your class, you shouldn't even have problem. I finished this part with Infiltrator on Insanity without even dying once.

zkylon

zkylewd
Vega is pretty badass.

also scroll wheel doesn't work in inbox, I tried.
I just checked and mouse wheel works for me. Using the arrow keys to scroll down also does the trick. I think your game must be goofed up and displaying the "there's more stuff" arrow when there isn't. I think it happened to me too.

I don't mind Vega -he kinda grew on me, actually- but his latinamerican background is very lazily implemented. I know it's common custom to insert a few random "ese", "guey" and "pendejo" in games to make people sound latinamerican, but in ME3 it's like they didn't even try.

Replicant

I don't mind Vega -he kinda grew on me, actually- but his latinamerican background is very lazily implemented. I know it's common custom to insert a few random "ese", "guey" and "pendejo" in games to make people sound latinamerican, but in ME3 it's like they didn't even try.
Vega has his uses, like during final battle.

Having said that I made this auto-cringe/troll face when my Shepard said "There's no other people I'd rather do this with". That is such an utter lie because honestly, I'd rather take other people but:

1. I don't want them to die in case some scripted moment happens in the final battle.
2. Their HP are not high enough to ensure I don't have to heal them constantly.

Since I think Javik is an ass who I don't know well and Vega has the HP that I need, I ended up bringing them with me and they served their functions as lambs for the slaughter. Exceedingly, in fact.

subversus

yeah, I didn't like how they did his latin american "flavour" too.

I'm on Eden Prime now. I guess it's day 1 DLC mission. I don't like what they have done to the pallete though. I would prefer to land there during the sunset like I did the first time. Well, may be they will be some recognizable locations.

the game grows on me.

Melchiah

I brought Javik and James with me because they're both technically the members with the most HP. I maxed James HP so that it got up to 1325 both shield and HP. If you've done a good job of raising their stats, it's rare they die more than two times during battle (as long as you use their power efficiently). Liara and EDI are members with the weakest HP, I can't believe you'd even bring them to the final battle. James and Javik also have bombs, which are *very* beneficial when fighting Brutes. But you must remember not to waste these bombs on anything else but Brutes and maybe Banshees.

I went to final battle with Javik & Liara, and it didn't seem that much of a trouble.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm 32 hours in on Insanity playing 98% of the times with Liara and Garrus. For me, your companions' main purpose is disposing shields, barriers and armor at my command, so Garrus and Liara arm me with the much useful Warp and Overload.

Plus, they're the only two I like. Vega and Kaidan aren't so bad, but they don't do anything for me, and the other three I despise them all, specially sexbot-EDI.

RedAssedApe

Banned

It probably doesn't help that his voice actor is Freddie Prinze Jr. Although technically he has the background, all I can think of is white jock dude from various teen movies and romantic comedies.

Melchiah

Insanity or normal? At any rate, I think having one high HP characters like Javik and James during final battle will make your life easier.

Normal. I used mostly Liara and Javik, as I noticed they had the most interesting conversations during some missions. Who's better in battle is only a secondary thing for me.

Replicant

Normal. I used mostly Liara and Javik, as I noticed they had the most interesting conversations during some missions. Who's better in battle is only a secondary thing for me.
On normal yes. But on Insanity, if you want to make your life easier, sometimes you have to forgo favoritism and just take whoever will get the mission done faster.

Also, I wouldn't recommend always carrying the same members to every mission if you want to hear interesting convos.
Liara and Javik are good for Thessia but EDI and Kaidan/Ashley are more apt for Cerberus base (Shepard resurrection issue). Bringing Garrus and Tali for Rannoch means you'll hear them flirting, taking Garrus and EDI to Grissom means Jack already knows who they are and will comment. Taking Javik to Grunt's mission means he will recognised Grunt and so on

subversus

well, Javik is awesome. It's so easy to see what is done with passion and what is not. Passion is what divides great games from solid games. So far ME3 has been solid but with Javik I started enjoying it.

Okay, I may be able to help. My class was Infiltrator too. I chose Defense Drone as extra power and that helped immensely. Always unleash Defense Drone to the enemy the minute a battle breaks out. It'll help guard your perimeter so that no enemies can sneak behind you, if they do, well, they'll get some nice electrocution from the Drone.

I brought with me a Mantis and a Chakram Launcher (a free weapon I got from playing Kingdom of Amalur demo). I upgraded both to level 5 and mod each with damage increase. With Chakram Launcher, I also paired it with disruptor ammo (or any fire-based ammo). All I had to do when Banshees show up is to spam them with Chakram Launcher alternating with Incinerate (a basic biotic power you should have if you choose Infiltrator class). And since I only brought Mantis and Chakram Launcher, my recharge time was something like 116%, which means I can spam Incinerate quite a bit. Banshee should go down in no time.

Also, at the beginning of that battle, there's a giant weapon you can use to wipe out at least one of the Brutes. And if you lucky, you maybe able to wipe out two of them. That should lessened the amount of enemies you have to fight. The rest of the Brutes you should destroy using James/Javik/Your own bombs. Keep your Chakram Launcher for Banshees if possible and use your Incinerate power after using 1 bomb from each character. Remember to spread your bomb use for the 5 or so Brutes. If you need refresh Bombs, there should be some in one of the stores to your left or right.

Keep moving around and use your invisibility cloak whenever you need to move out of a cover because you know those Marauders or Cannibals would target you otherwise. Don't forget to unleash the Defense Drone from time to time to be your bodyguard. There should be 2 medpacks on the left and 2 medpacks on the right store should you need it. But try to keep at least 8 medpacks by the time you arrive to that fight so you have as many medpacks as you need to heal the friends. Also, don't forget to do Chakwas' sub-mission to improve your medigel's effectiveness. With Infiltrator as your class, you shouldn't even have problem. I finished this part with Infiltrator on Insanity without even dying once.

You said this earlier :P said:
I'd recommend Chakram Launcher level 5 + Disruptor Ammo and alternating that with Incinerate to thin down Banshee's health quickly and effectively. I was also an Infiltrator so I could easily sneak in and out of their view using tactical cloak. Also, for extra power I used Defense Drone. They are far more effective than I thought because they basically guard the perimeter and ensures Cannibals and Marauders can't sneak up around you.

I had 8 Med-packs at that fight, full Black Widow (although now I think about it, it might been set to Cryo, not Disruptor. Assault Rifle was set to Disruptor).

Extra power I used was Energy Drain, but Defense drone might not be a bad idea. I don't have the Chakram Launcher, but I might go get the Particle Beam.

Aside from the 3 Geth Prime and maybe one other section, Insanity wasn't that crazy for me, I'll just do this again and hope that the trophy pops this time (not the first time this has happened--U2 MP trophies didn't pop at first, GoW2 still doesn't show up even though the % is there). Like I said, I got past it once already with Garrus and EDI.

Also, the Launcher was only there the first time I did it. Even when I came back, poof. So I had to manage without it. The Brutes are easy. The Banshees I hate.

You will forgo this for Insanity.

zkylon

zkylewd
is there any use in planet scanning other than war assets? side missions, no?
War assets, fuel, and "artifacts" and stuff like that for quests.

Shooting gallery missions come from Kelly Chambers Mk2 (and other crewmembers) and fetch quests you get from overhearing strangers in the Citadel.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm 32 hours in on Insanity playing 98% of the times with Liara and Garrus. For me, your companions' main purpose is disposing shields, barriers and armor at my command, so Garrus and Liara arm me with the much useful Warp and Overload.

Plus, they're the only two I like. Vega and Kaidan aren't so bad, but they don't do anything for me, and the other three I despise them all, specially sexbot-EDI.

I took EDI with me a lot, because she's awesome to look at in battle. Very explosive.

Top Bottom