• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

spekkeh

Banned
email.jpg

I prefer Traynor to Chambers by quite a margin.

Why? Insanity isn't really hard, you just die a lot. I'm far into the game, playing Vanguard and I always roll Garrus+Liara because of how likable both of them are.

nm, saw your earlier post. To each his own.

I wound up taking Garrus and EDI the most, Liara and Garrus/James was my normal run.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So they got that MP DLC out, where is this patch, I want to see what my imported characters that wouldn't import will look like, if it is actually fixed.

Most of the way through my Insanity play through, sometimes the Vanguard Charge/Nova combo can kick some ass, and other times it will get you killed pretty darn quickly, lol.

Melchiah

On normal yes. But on Insanity, if you want to make your life easier, sometimes you have to forgo favoritism and just take whoever will get the mission done faster.

Also, I wouldn't recommend always carrying the same members to every mission if you want to hear interesting convos.
Liara and Javik are good for Thessia but EDI and Kaidan/Ashley are more apt for Cerberus base (Shepard resurrection issue). Bringing Garrus and Tali for Rannoch means you'll hear them flirting, taking Garrus and EDI to Grissom means Jack already knows who they are and will comment. Taking Javik to Grunt's mission means he will recognised Grunt and so on

I noticed that in ME2, when I entered the derelict
Reaper
with Mordin & Tali. The mission proved out to be quite a challenge, when both of them died constantly.

Thanks for the tip regarding the conversations. I'll bear that in mind, if I ever play it through again.

You will forgo this for Insanity.

I don't tend to play games on hard (RFoM is the only exception), so that's not a problem. ;)

Just got my copy of ME3 and I'm really sad because the game wont find and Import my ME2 Importer!!!

I checked it out it is on my HDD already.. what is the problem >.<

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just got my copy of ME3 and I'm really sad because the game wont find and Import my ME2 Importer!!!

I checked it out it is on my HDD already.. what is the problem >.<

Was this console the original console you played ME2 on or did you transfer the save from another console at some point or put it on the cloud?

zkylon

zkylewd
I took EDI with me a lot, because she's awesome to look at in battle. Very explosive.
Yeah, her skills are pretty useful too. I would take her if she wasn't the (probably exaggerating) dumbest character in Bioware history.

lol EDI, what the fuck
With EDI's appearance I began thinking Bioware simply lost their mind. They still got the talent to make you pumped from time to time but to me it's indicative that by ME3 Bioware just ran out of ideas...

Makes me think Cobbett's Femshep article was spot on (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-21-ms-effect-the-rise-of-femshep).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
With EDI's appearance I began thinking Bioware simply lost their mind. They still got the talent to make you pumped from time to time but to me it's indicative that by ME3 Bioware just ran out of ideas...

I actually liked that because it was unexpected.

I'm extremely dissapointed with the lack of neutral options in dialogues even though I thought I wouldn't mind. Also I'm extremely dissapointed with impossibility to make almost any decisions. I mean they could at least make the outcome the same but lead there by another way. For example
given what we know about Krogans and given my experience with them during the first two games now way in hell my Shepard would agree with handling the female to them. They let me decide how to handle Aria's mercenaries problems but they can't let me shape some major stuff or at least try voice a disagreement. I mean I know there is almost always one way in Mass Effect but now it's not even colored in a different way. I could at least say "this shit is unacceptable" but then accept that there is no other way instead of agreeing that there is no other way right away and even bullying Salarians into this. I mean colors, Bioware, did you forget how to do them?
. Some parts of the game still feel good though.

Some quests feel undercooked because you do basically nothing there.

Randdalf

I'm 32 hours in on Insanity playing 98% of the times with Liara and Garrus. For me, your companions' main purpose is disposing shields, barriers and armor at my command, so Garrus and Liara arm me with the much useful Warp and Overload.

Plus, they're the only two I like. Vega and Kaidan aren't so bad, but they don't do anything for me, and the other three I despise them all, specially sexbot-EDI.

I used Garrus/Liara in virtually every mission, except Tali/Liara for Geth missions, and the other characters where it was necessary. I used Garrus exclusively in ME2 as well, he's such a bro.

zkylon

zkylewd
I used Garrus/Liara in virtually every mission, except Tali/Liara for Geth missions, and the other characters where it was necessary. I used Garrus exclusively in ME2 as well, he's such a bro.
I went Mordin-Garrus on ME2, ocasionally switching Garrus with Miranda.

Alright guys I have pretty much been avoiding all Mass effect threads for fear of spoilers but I have run into a problem. I am playing on 360 and the second the game boots up it freezes my 360 so that I can't even access the guide and have to do a hard reboot. I have tried installing the game and it hasn't made a difference. Anyone else run into something similar? I really don't want to restart the game....

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Alright guys I have pretty much been avoiding all Mass effect threads for fear of spoilers but I have run into a problem. I am playing on 360 and the second the game boots up it freezes my 360 so that I can't even access the guide and have to do a hard reboot. I have tried installing the game and it hasn't made a difference. Anyone else run into something similar? I really don't want to restart the game....
You might find an answer on the help pages. Otherwise, you should contact support.

https://help.ea.com/en/mass-effect/mass-effect-3

subversus

Finished the extraction. Wrex is sort of pleased.

my general sentiment about this game is that it lacks "punch". ME1 and ME2 were very different games but I had been hooked since the moment I started playing them. They both felt like they were KICKASS GAMES. I hate space operas, I hate cliched characters but I loved all this stuff in ME1-2. I think the main reason I loved them because people who developed these games had some sort of momentum going, some energy behind them, some spark that gave life to stale and tired sci-fi tropes. I like a lot of stuff which is considered mediocre but that's because of the same reason - I generally feel this spark behind the creation and I feel when there is none. And when there is no spark even well-made games/movies/books with original ideas fall apart.

Mass Effect 3 feels like a fitting conclusion to the thrilogy so far (I'm not talking about the ending). But fitting is not enough. When there is some spark missing I see more clear everything I hate about space operas. Yes, there is some thing still going there. I love everything related to Javik so far. Some moments still feel like "NICE!!!" but ME1-2 were "NICE!!!!" from the start to the end for me.

Again I want to stress that - the game feels like it's better built in general. It feels rushed into details too and that's what I have expected given its dev cycle. But some part of magic is not there.

You know what is the worst? That combat is so good. Horde mode gave me much more "NICE!!!!" moments than the campaign because it's well-realized even with all those shortcomings. It has some magic going there. Combat in campaign feels toned down but it's still one of the better parts of the game. I usually almost feel relieved when it kicks in because most memorable moments in the game came from combat situations so far. But it's toned down a lot.

I think campaign co-op would breath a new life in the series. And I'm talking about decision-making too. BUT it shouldn't be "Army of Two 2" mechanic when one player gives thumbs up and another gives thumb down. It should be much more complex than that. But it would give us a more exciting game for sure.

jfoul

Xbox 360 patch is up.

Update: Patch didn't fix the face import issue, for me at least. My console now also freezes up periodically while connecting to EA servers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The patch sorted my face import out, though it still looks odd going from the general change they did to people from ME1/2 to ME3.

Better than nothing i guess though.
Also had the game freeze trying to connect to EA servers, lol.

Is this game worth a second playthrough? I finished about some time and I'm thinking of going back again, but I don't know, can I get the "perfect" ending with all my full paragon points or do I need to play the multiplayer?

subversus

Grissom Academy mission
has good combat design but writing is downright embarassing sometimes...

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
holy shit this game looks so good and runs just as good.

gtx560ti user here. 20 hours in.

subversus

I have to say that I enjoy this game a lot being 17 hours in. I don't know if I got used to it or it got better somehow. I guess a bit of both.

Moaradin

I have to say that I enjoy this game a lot being 17 hours in. I don't know if I got used to it or it got better somehow. I guess a bit of both.

The game gets amazing after the first few missions. It will continue to be great until about 10 minutes towards the end.

mozfan12

Banned
Yes it does get a lot better especially since you know that the trilogy is coming to an end. I enjoyed it till the last 5 minutes, and it is bittersweet. I love the series, crappy ending and all, and I actually like that the 3 games all have a different feel and atmosphere to them. I think Jeff from Giant Bomb said it best, this series should be given enough time, resources, to make it a showstopper because it is one of those franchises that has that potential to be one of gamings greatest franchises. Its not like they dont have the sales, and a large amount of us will eat up the dlc. Alast, ME3 was great, much like ME2 and ME1.

It was the same for me. I was rather underwhelmed with everything until around 15 hours in. It suddenly started swinging more towards my interests or something.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Aaahhh the story of Mass Effect 3. My version.

Starts the game: "What the fuck why is everyone running so stupidly like that???!!"
Somewhat into the game: "The graphics are awesome, and the atmosphere are well done!"
Middle part: "WHY THE HELL DO THEY NOT BOTHER UPDATING THE MISSION LOG!"
Middle part (02): "Damn this is awesome!"
Middle part (03): "Tuchanka! *worship* Rannoch! *worship*"
Somewhat to the end: "Damn this is intense!"
End part: "Goddamnit so many brutes and banshees! HOLD THE LINE! INTENSE FIGHT!"

Ending: "What the fuck?"
Post ending: "What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck!"

Top Bottom