• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

JJBro One

decided to hold off on playing this until after the extended cut came out. I STILL can't import my me1 face the way it was in the last 2 games. It's not even close, it's a different race with facial hair! Is anyone else having the same issue?

Sai

Mm, I know some folks were still having problems with it after the patch. Only had to change the hair on mine.

Ended up using a new custom face I made from scratch anyways.

Sai

Sorry for the double post, but I've been having an issue with my save files becoming corrupted with increasing frequency in the later parts of the game. Started happening a lot during the assault on Cerberus HQ. I've been able to recover by reloading a previous save, deleting the rest, and going to the Citadel to reset the mission restart.

Any relation to the fact that I used Gibbed's on this career earlier? Or could it have anything to do with my 360? This is the first time I've had trouble with this.

[EDIT] - There was a point earlier on where I was attempting to go throughout the entire game with saves before every mission. I had totaled up to around 25 saves(I think it was post-Sur'kesh) before I got a notice of corruption and had to start deleting all but the two most recent.

Patryn

Sorry for the double post, but I've been having an issue with my save files becoming corrupted with increasing frequency in the later parts of the game. Started happening a lot during the assault on Cerberus HQ. I've been able to recover by reloading a previous save, deleting the rest, and going to the Citadel to reset the mission restart.

Any relation to the fact that I used Gibbed's on this career earlier? Or could it have anything to do with my 360? This is the first time I've had trouble with this.

I had a few weird glitches, mostly related to the startup of the game (that shot of Earth before you get the title menu, mostly), but I never had a save game corrupt. Played on 360.

How old is your 360 and which version?

Sai

I got it about three years ago. Manufacturer's date is 10/29/09.

It's the old Core 360 with my busted Elite's 250GB HDD.

So does anyone know if there's some sort of bug/glitch with the Kestrel helmet? According to the wiki it's supposed to be available at Batarian State Arms after
Priority: Citadel II
, but I'm way past that and it still hasn't shown up. I may have bought it already since I just immediately buy any new armor pieces I see, but if that's the case then it's not showing up in my armory. I've tried repairing the installation and that didn't do anything. This is in the PC version.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Three hours into this after finishing ME1 and ME2 in the past week. Not sure if I like it. Combat feels weird compared to ME2, but I said the same thing about ME2 after finishing ME1 so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Just boarded the Normandy for the first time after visiting the Citadel so far. All of the "emotional" parts of the game feel pretty forced so far. The voice acting is kind of awkward too, especially with Shepard. There are these weird pauses, and the way things are phrased just seems off.

Beef McMeatbarrel is a decent character so far, Liara is pretty boring compared to her ME1 counterpart, Kaiden is Kaiden. Those are the only characters I have come across so far.

Feeling a little underwhelmed so far.

DTKT

Three hours into this after finishing ME1 and ME2 in the past week. Not sure if I like it. Combat feels weird compared to ME2, but I said the same thing about ME2 after finishing ME1 so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Just boarded the Normandy for the first time after visiting the Citadel so far. All of the "emotional" parts of the game feel pretty forced so far. The voice acting is kind of awkward too, especially with Shepard. There are these weird pauses, and the way things are phrased just seems off.

Beef McMeatbarrel is a decent character so far, Liara is pretty boring compared to her ME1 counterpart, Kaiden is Kaiden. Those are the only characters I have come across so far.

Feeling a little underwhelmed so far.

It gets really good 10-12 hours in. The beginning and the end are the worst by far.

Stick with it!

Tomat

I will for sure, I didn't play through the first to just to not finish the series.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I will for sure, I didn't play through the first to just to not finish the series.

You'll probably like Tuchanka if you're looking for some emotional scenes. But like he said, the best part of the game is the middle.

Tomat

It's not that I'm looking for some hardcore emotional scenes, but the moments I've come across so far are a little too forced. Sad music along with Shepard making as many sad facial expressions as possible (cheesy writing doesn't help either).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Kind of weird Kaiden never appeared in my game since I never played 1. I had so many good squad mates die in 2, woulda been nice to have somebody else.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If you didn't play ME, I think you can get Kaiden by choosing one of the three (?) pre-story options, but I'm not sure which.

VA quality

Tali>Liara>Jack>Traynor>Miranda>Ashley>dog shit>Allers
It'd say Samara, Tali, Jack, Miranda, Liara, Traynor, Ashley, and finally Allers.

Liara is way too flat, but I admire her semi-geeky tone.

Sai

I'm on 360, but it's happened a number of times. Can't tell if it's the game, or the aging hardware though.

Does it hard lock randomly, or does it reoccur at a specific point in the game?

Got this yesterday and my enjoyment is at -1 at the moment as for some reason my mass effect 2 save has vanished which I imported from one... Really pissed off to say the least as the only option on the new save is who died in one.

Bisnic

Not sure if needs own thread.

Mass Effect 3: Leviathan DLC confirmed by voice actor: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-10-mass-effect-3-leviathan-dlc-confirmed-by-voice-actor

Although the idea of a
Reaper joining the Alliance forces is hilarious(who in their right mind would trust one?),
if it can give us more details as to their origins, more than what the extended cut gave us anyway, it could be decent.

Hackett : "Shepard, what the hell? You're sending us a Reaper?"
Shepard : "He's friendly! He told me i could trust him!"
Hackett : "You're indoctrinated Commander."
Shepard : "No I'm not. He said he was a nice guy and rebelled."
Hackett : "All forces, abandon the Crucible. Shepard has gone mad and revealed its location to the Reapers, we don't have time to move it...Hackett out."

And thus, began the REAL new ending of ME3. To continue in the next DLC.

dankir

Is it me or is Insanity a fucking joke compared to ME2? I started my 2nd run now that the new endings are out and jesus, they dialed back the difficulty 10 fold. I've beaten half the game in less 10 hours or something.

Yes all my characters are level 60 and the Particle rifle plus flame ammo + Liara's Gravity well or whatever its called tied with another offensive biotic power pretty much leads to enemies dying instantly. Hell even brutes are a joke.

I loved Mass Effect 2 Insanity was great 'cuz every single fight a struggle and forced you to strategize as every enemy had armor(many with multiple layers) this isn't :(

edit: Also mad hype for DLC announcement!

Try this to find a save as close as possible to your lost one :

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/

Dunno if it works for consoles though, but it worked for my PC.

Its a massive amount of aggro to get it to work with 360 and I dont have ME2 anymore.

Im constantly asking myself what I did in the 2nd and 1st games and what it may have changed in me3 :(

Also Im not really enjoying the class I picked which is annoying aswell.

Is it me or is Insanity a ****ing joke compared to ME2? I started my 2nd run now that the new endings are out and jesus, they dialed back the difficulty 10 fold. I've beaten half the game in less 10 hours or something.

Yes all my characters are level 60 and the Particle rifle plus flame ammo + Liara's Gravity well or whatever its called tied with another offensive biotic power pretty much leads to enemies dying instantly. Hell even brutes are a joke.

I loved Mass Effect 2 Insanity was great 'cuz every single fight a struggle and forced you to strategize as every enemy had armor(many with multiple layers) this isn't :(

edit: Also mad hype for DLC announcement!

Not just you. I'm working on a mod to make things a little more of a challenge.

LosDaddie

Banned
The DLC drastically lowered the EMS rating requirement to get the best ending so you really don't have to.

Ok, thanks! I had played some MP on the weekend, so most of the regions were at about ~60% anyway.

So, I went ahead with the "Resume" save, and it was right before the End Game was set in motion.
Got to smang Ashley again before attacking the Cerberus base / Fight Kai Leng. I stopped last night on the second half of the Earth mission.

I figure I should be good, right?

Bisnic

Ok, thanks! I had played some MP on the weekend, so most of the regions were at about ~60% anyway.

So, I went ahead with the "Resume" save, and it was right before the End Game was set in motion.
Got to smang Ashley again before attacking the Cerberus base / Fight Kai Leng. I stopped last night on the second half of the Earth mission.

I figure I should be good, right?

Yeah, all the extended cut changes starts right when you run
to the Citadel Beam while avoiding Harbinger's lasers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
A bit late to the part but any suggestions on the best/quickest class for an Insanity run?

It will be from a level 30 ME2 import, not really looking for a challenge here, lol, just want to finish off the last two trophies.

So I just replayed the ending and uhhhh should the difference have been obvious?? Maybe it's been too long but I didn't notice any difference. Or maybe my download didn't work right.

*Ok apparently my download was borked for some reason. I just watched the ending on youtube. Do I miss out on any achievements or anything?

Looking to start my second run. My first was with a Sentinel - what should I do next for the most fun and that isn't an infiltrator (saving him for my renegade ultimate jerk shep)?

Bisnic

Looking to start my second run. My first was with a Sentinel - what should I do next for the most fun and that isn't an infiltrator (saving him for my renegade ultimate jerk shep)?

Adepts are great. Send a Singularity(or Warp on shields/armored targets), then send a double Throw. Enjoy Biotic explosions everywhere! Barely need to use a gun.

Adepts are great. Send a Singularity(or Warp on shields/armored targets), then send a double Throw. Enjoy Biotic explosions everywhere! Barely need to use a gun.

That'll probably change with the difficulty mod I've made - cooldown times are generally increased across the board to split gunplay/power usage 50/50.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Soldier or infiltrator would be the easiest. I went with soldier.

What sort of build for the Infiltrator should I be going for?
I've only played one online for a short time and haven't used one before for SP, I heard it is a fun class to use though and can get out of tricky situations, is the SP build along the same lines as the MP one?

What sort of build for the Infiltrator should I be going for?
I've only played one online for a short time and haven't used one before for SP, I heard it is a fun class to use though and can get out of tricky situations, is the SP build along the same lines as the MP one?
If you're going for a sniper build, then a sniper and SMG with the Ultralight Materials mod should be your main loadout, you want to keep your cooldown as low as possible. The Mantis is a great sniper early on, but save all your money from the outset and grab the Black Widow as soon as you can. I personally think the Hornet is an amazing SMG if you can control the recoil and fire from the hip. Great damage and rate of fire. I'd recommend using the Tempest until you get the Hornet, and the Vindicator AR is a good sub until you get the Tempest.

Obviously max Cloak, but take the Damage/Recharge/Sniper Damage evolutions. You want your Cloak cooldown to be as low as possible since you should be firing most of your powers out of Cloak, which in turn uses Cloak's cooldown and not that power's. This is why I'll always take the 40% sniper damage bonus over Bonus Power, if you use a second power to break Cloak then that power's cooldown is used instead of Cloak's which will most likely be longer than Cloak's. Your main method of dealing damage should be Cloak, aim at target with sniper, fire power, then shoot, all very quickly. Cloak's damage bonus is applied for 2 seconds after breaking, which is more than enough time to fire a power and fire a shot. Using the Sniper Concentration Mod will give you little more leg room to do this.

Maxing Incinerate is also a must; I personally like Radius/Damage/Armor Damage because hitting more than 1 target it always a good thing, late game your cooldowns will be so low that taking the 25% cooldown reduction literally amounts to something like a .50 millisecond difference (which also doesn't matter if you fire out of cloak), and frozen targets are really no longer a threat so more damage on Brute or Ravager armor is always a good. The other evolutions are by no means bad though, I don't think there's really a clear cut choice here.

Energy Drain is an invaluable bonus power and should be maxed. The Infiltrator has no direct way of dealing damage to shields and barriers except firing a weapon with Disruptor Ammo. They also cannot regenerate shields while cloaked. Energy Drain solves both of those problems. Cloak, Drain, headshot a Marauder and watch him go down with 1 bullet. Using Energy Drain while cloaked is an invaluable survival and offensive ability. I say go Radius/Recharge/Damage. You don't run into that many synthetic enemies in the game so a better recharge time, even if minuscule will be better for most situations.

Max Disruptor Ammo as this will be your sniper's main ammo power. Damage/Headshots/Damage.

Max Cryo Ammo. Underestimated by many, but true believes know how OP it is. Squad Bonus/Headshots/Damage Combo. Your squad will be freezing everyone left, right and center without you having to do a thing. This always lets you ignore their ammo powers and gives them more points to work with. When enemies are frozen they take more damage and they aren't shooting at you meaning you're taking less damage and dealing more damage. I keep Cryo Ammo on the SMG since they natively shred shields pretty well and their high ROF is great for freezing enemies in CQC range. Incinerate also works very well with Cryo Ammo.

I left Sticky Grenades at 4. They're useful on big targets like Atlas mechs and Brutes, but they didn't really fit my playstyle. You can throw as many of these as you like without breaking Cloak though, that's pretty sweet.

Sabotage can be kept at 2 for the majority of the game. Great for hacking Cerberus Engineer turrets and Atlas Mechs. I dumped my points into this after I maxed everything else.

Of course you should max your two passives. Durability/Shield Recharge/Durability is the way to go for Fitness unless you really love melee.

Weapon Damage/Weight Capacity/Sniper Damage is the way to go for Operational Mastery. Maximize your snipe damage and keep your cooldowns low.

The Infiltrator is a beast on Insanity. I also imported a level 30 from Mass Effect 2 and kicked ass from the get go. They're so versatile that you can pretty much bring any squadmate and not have too tough of a time. Liara works very well with Singularity spam and Stasis, and take anyone else that your heart desires. Hope this helps!

PS. One more thing, you can sorta "active reload" ala Gears of War with snipers. This is useful for snipers with bloody long reload animations like the Mantis. As soon as the ammo counter goes from 0 to 1 you can interrupt the rest of the animation by activating a power then you can fire right away. With the Mantis early on it's a good idea to Fire decloaked, interrupt the reload with Cloak, then quickly fire another shot. You'll deal much more damage this way. Use it, abuse it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If you're going for a sniper build, then a sniper and SMG with the Ultralight Materials mod should be your main loadout, you want to keep your cooldown as low as possible. The Mantis is a great sniper early on, but save all your money from the outset and grab the Black Widow as soon as you can. I personally think the Hornet is an amazing SMG if you can control the recoil and fire from the hip. Great damage and rate of fire. I'd recommend using the Tempest until you get the Hornet, and the Vindicator AR is a good sub until you get the Tempest.

Obviously max Cloak, but take the Damage/Recharge/Sniper Damage evolutions. You want your Cloak cooldown to be as low as possible since you should be firing most of your powers out of Cloak, which in turn uses Cloak's cooldown and not that power's. This is why I'll always take the 40% sniper damage bonus over Bonus Power, if you use a second power to break Cloak then that power's cooldown is used instead of Cloak's which will most likely be longer than Cloak's. Your main method of dealing damage should be Cloak, aim at target with sniper, fire power, then shoot, all very quickly. Cloak's damage bonus is applied for 2 seconds after breaking, which is more than enough time to fire a power and fire a shot. Using the Sniper Concentration Mod will give you little more leg room to do this.

Maxing Incinerate is also a must; I personally like Radius/Damage/Armor Damage because hitting more than 1 target it always a good thing, late game your cooldowns will be so low that taking the 25% cooldown reduction literally amounts to something like a .50 millisecond difference (which also doesn't matter if you fire out of cloak), and frozen targets are really no longer a threat so more damage on Brute or Ravager armor is always a good. The other evolutions are by no means bad though, I don't think there's really a clear cut choice here.

Energy Drain is an invaluable bonus power and should be maxed. The Infiltrator has no direct way of dealing damage to shields and barriers except firing a weapon with Disruptor Ammo. They also cannot regenerate shields while cloaked. Energy Drain solves both of those problems. Cloak, Drain, headshot a Marauder and watch him go down with 1 bullet. Using Energy Drain while cloaked is an invaluable survival and offensive ability. I say go Radius/Recharge/Damage. You don't run into that many synthetic enemies in the game so a better recharge time, even if minuscule will be better for most situations.

Max Disruptor Ammo as this will be your sniper's main ammo power. Damage/Headshots/Damage.

Max Cryo Ammo. Underestimated by many, but true believes know how OP it is. Squad Bonus/Headshots/Damage Combo. Your squad will be freezing everyone left, right and center without you having to do a thing. This always lets you ignore their ammo powers and gives them more points to work with. When enemies are frozen they take more damage and they aren't shooting at you meaning you're taking less damage and dealing more damage. I keep Cryo Ammo on the SMG since they natively shred shields pretty well and their high ROF is great for freezing enemies in CQC range. Incinerate also works very well with Cryo Ammo.

I left Sticky Grenades at 4. They're useful on big targets like Atlas mechs and Brutes, but they didn't really fit my playstyle. You can throw as many of these as you like without breaking Cloak though, that's pretty sweet.

Sabotage can be kept at 2 for the majority of the game. Great for hacking Cerberus Engineer turrets and Atlas Mechs. I dumped my points into this after I maxed everything else.

Of course you should max your two passives. Durability/Shield Recharge/Durability is the way to go for Fitness unless you really love melee.

Weapon Damage/Weight Capacity/Sniper Damage is the way to go for Operational Mastery. Maximize your snipe damage and keep your cooldowns low.

The Infiltrator is a beast on Insanity. I also imported a level 30 from Mass Effect 2 and kicked ass from the get go. They're so versatile that you can pretty much bring any squadmate and not have too tough of a time. Liara works very well with Singularity spam and Stasis, and take anyone else that your heart desires. Hope this helps!

PS. One more thing, you can sorta "active reload" ala Gears of War with snipers. This is useful for snipers with bloody long reload animations like the Mantis. As soon as the ammo counter goes from 0 to 1 you can interrupt the rest of the animation by activating a power then you can fire right away. With the Mantis early on it's a good idea to Fire decloaked, interrupt the reload with Cloak, then quickly fire another shot. You'll deal much more damage this way. Use it, abuse it.

Thank you for that it was an excellent read, exactly what I was looking for, if I could give you some sort of virtual props, I would, lol.

Going to go start the character now with your advice.

Hey guys, jumping in the thread for a quick question.

Thinking of getting this game and have seen it used on ebay for the cheapest yet (hoping it doesn't go before I get an answer), but I'm wondering about something before I go for it.

Does the game come with any DLC codes that the previous owner might have used, making them useless to me? The seller mentions nothing of it, but I wanted to be sure. If it does, is it anything I would be missing out on and should instead get a new copy?

Thanks for any help, all!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hey guys, jumping in the thread for a quick question.

Thinking of getting this game and have seen it used on ebay for the cheapest yet (hoping it doesn't go before I get an answer), but I'm wondering about something before I go for it.

Does the game come with any DLC codes that the previous owner might have used, making them useless to me? The seller mentions nothing of it, but I wanted to be sure. If it does, is it anything I would be missing out on and should instead get a new copy?

Thanks for any help, all!

It has an online pass, they haven't offered any free DLC like that of ME2 just Multi-player stuff.
You won't be able to get all the Achievements/Trophies without the pass, but if you are just interested in SP or are on PC, then it is up to you if you care about playing online or not.

iLLmAtlc

It has an online pass, they haven't offered any free DLC like that of ME2 just Multi-player stuff.
You won't be able to get all the Achievements/Trophies without the pass, but if you are just interested in SP or are on PC, then it is up to you if you care about playing online or not.

Are you sure about the trophies? I remember seeing the multiplayer trophies having single player equivalents I see no reason to do that unless all you do that for all mp trophies.

Also the only thing you will be missing if you buy used is mp, assuming if I'm not mistaken about the trophies. Before there was this thing where you couldn't get certain endings without the online pass but the extended cut changed that. Just make sure to download the ec.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
You guys probably know this: I had/played the Shadow Broker DLC. Nonetheless with my imported save file Shepard, when meeting up/talking with Liara again is all like so you became SB, huh? And Liara is all yeah was pretty hard, friend died blabla. BioWare being sloppy or did ME3 somehow not pick up that I played the SB DLC?

Bisnic

You guys probably know this: I had/played the Shadow Broker DLC. Nonetheless with my imported save file Shepard, when meeting up/talking with Liara again is all like so you became SB, huh? And Liara is all yeah was pretty hard, friend died blabla. BioWare being sloppy or did ME3 somehow not pick up that I played the SB DLC?

Sound like a bug during the import, Shepard was well aware of Liara being the Shadow Broker in mine, even made the stupid joke about the escaped Yahg being the next SB. I doubt he/she would know that without being there in the ME2 DLC. :p

Sai

Yeah, that's an import bug. I haven't encountered it, but I've heard people complaining about it.

You can easily rectify it with Gibbed's though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Are you sure about the trophies? I remember seeing the multiplayer trophies having single player equivalents I see no reason to do that unless all you do that for all mp trophies.

Also the only thing you will be missing if you buy used is mp, assuming if I'm not mistaken about the trophies. Before there was this thing where you couldn't get certain endings without the online pass but the extended cut changed that. Just make sure to download the ec.

There's one trophy you can't get from the game without an online pass, the Defender trophy Requires the Galactic Readiness to be 100% in each area which from the game can only be done through MP.

You can raise this by using one of the two Mass Effect apps on iOS, don't know if they are on other platforms, one is paid one is free, it will just take a lot longer to get your readiness up this way though.

Top Bottom