• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Vamphuntr

Amazon.ca doesn't do this. Or at least they've never done this for me.

in short, fuck amazon canada.

Amazon Canada was always like that though so it's nothing new. They are not good with shipping regarding new releases. You usually get the game 1-2 days late.

Skipping over ME 1 or ME 2 would be tragic. ME1 was an excellent introduction to the ME universe, ME 2 was more action packed and was more about the characters you gathered for this dangerous mission. I place the Mass Effect series among some of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever released. Before you die you should experience the entire ME trilogy and also:

TV - Lonesome Dove

Music- Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Movies- The Godfather trilogy (yes, even 3)

These are pieces of entertainment that every man or woman should experience in their entirety before they leave this earth. In short, do not skip ME 1 or 2. Thanks for your time.

Epic Post!

Karak

So I'm like 2 hours in
just met the reporter
...when the hell do we actually start getting dialogue choices? So far it's been pretty much entirely auto-dialogue with only a handful of choices, it's about the same ratio as the demo.
"recruiting" the reporter was just Shepard hearing two sentences from her and going "derp sounds good" smh

For all of ME2's needless streamlining Bioware at least left that part alone, why change it for ME3?

This is about the way it goes. After 10 ours it wasn't any better but supposedly around 15 it gets good.

But this is sort of what I was saying before.

Derrick01

Banned
Fire ammo works better against armour. Cryo ammo freezes your target. I don't get it...

Not enough to make a difference. Unless you're playing on insanity or something.

Karak said:
This is about the way it goes. After 10 ours it wasn't any better but supposedly around 15 it gets good.

But this is sort of what I was saying before

10 hours of auto dialogue and almost no choices? I'm not going to make it through this game am I?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does the game begin at level 26 for everyone or only for those who imported from ME2? I am asking because I don't want some super easy beginning where the balancing is weird.

Enemies scale to you.

But this is sort of what I was saying before.

Wow, that's terrible. I didn't like ME2's story but its wealth of dialogue choices always made it fun to replay.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
So I'm like 2 hours in
just met the reporter
...when the hell do we actually start getting dialogue choices? So far it's been pretty much entirely auto-dialogue with only a handful of choices, it's about the same ratio as the demo.
"recruiting" the reporter was just Shepard hearing two sentences from her and going "derp sounds good" smh

For all of ME2's needless streamlining Bioware at least left that part alone, why change it for ME3?

I'm at the same point you are, and I'm still on the fence about this. On one hand, having to stop less to choose dialogue does make for some nicer scenes. Characters were moving about the area a bit more instead of the typical BioWare "two characters face each other and talk" schtick. On the other hand, some of the auto-dialogue is too hammy. I want to say the issue is that the writing for Shepard is worse. However, I can't make a full judgment until I play the game with my two characters to see how much of the auto-dialogue is affected by your alignment.

It is pretty weak that BioWare gave us less choices in this regard, but I think the enhanced gameplay is definitely making up for it.

X-Frame

Mass Effect 4 with an alien protagonist? A prothean pre-quel?

With the world of ME, there's so many different directions they could take it.

Solo

Mass-Effect-Level-Up.jpg

Here's the level up screen from Mass Effect 1. You increase your proficiency in all the different weapon types and you also have some speech skills in there. Having a low level at a certain weapon type made Shepard incompetent at using that weapon. It's a shooter, but also an RPG.

Ss-014.jpg

Now look at the one from ME2. You get a choice between fire bullets and ice bullets. You don't have to use either because shooting people in the face works well.

:_(

Wow, that's terrible. I didn't like ME2's story but its wealth of dialogue choices always made it fun to replay.

The way I look at it is - the casuals aren't gonna play the game for that long anyway, don't wanna "bore" them with too many RPG-ish elements. Heck, just about everyone on YouTube does "Auto Level-Up." -_-

Karak

*Shrugs* it is what it is. I am sort of numb to it now and moving passed it. Got about 12-13 hours in. The game as a whole is ok. But that's about it right now. Lots of lose ends, lots of issues with the various new systems they introduced in this game that require coming to grips with. For me the sidequest system is really killing my enjoyment of something I would normally be 100% behind. I am also seeing a good number of bugs. Not game killing thankfully, but a damn high number of issues.

But it is important to remember that a flawed gem doesn't make the entire ring worth not owning. It is rare that a series I know and like goes from beginning to conclusion without a system change, or a long hiatus, or some other real world problem. So I am happy for that.

Derrick01

Banned
Rachni wars, first contact war, Krogran Rebellions, ...

So much potential!

I would rather they don't focus on things that we know how they ended already.

I want a Garrus spin off where he joins the Spectres and you do missions throughout the game, tied to some major main plot. We were a spectre in ME1 but we never really worked as one. It was never anything more than a title that gave some extra stat boosts.

Oh and this game would be made by Obsidian so we don't get 10 hours of auto dialogue.

spekkeh

Banned
Now look at the one from ME2. You get a choice between fire bullets and ice bullets. You don't have to use either because shooting people in the face works well.

There's more to roleplaying than sliders and inventory management you know. It about making meaningful decisions based on the charachter that you roleplay as. This ME2 does better than 1.

I'm at the same point you are, and I'm still on the fence about this. On one hand, having to stop less to choose dialogue does make for some nicer scenes. Characters were moving about the area a bit more instead of the typical BioWare "two characters face each other and talk" schtick. On the other hand, some of the auto-dialogue is too hammy. I want to say the issue is that the writing for Shepard is worse. However, I can't make a full judgment until I play the game with my two characters to see how much of the auto-dialogue is affected by your alignment.

It is pretty weak that BioWare gave us less choices in this regard, but I think the enhanced gameplay is definitely making up for it.

This is my biggest problem with the auto-dialogue; Shepard comes off as an overdramatic idiot.

Ugh, I have a nasty feeling that "one step forward, one step back" is going to be a defining attribute of this series forever.

There's more to roleplaying than sliders and inventory management you know. It about making meaningful decisions based on the charachter that you roleplay as. This ME2 does better than 1.

I'd say they're about the same, or that ME2 is worse because it arbitrarily restricts you to certain things at key moments. (ME1 did this at pretty much one moment, and I've always considered it the worst Shepard moment in the game)

Riggs

Banned
Not liking this at all!!! Love the dialogue choices that's what always made this game so fun. I know gaf can be over critical but this does not sound good at all : (

Wait seriously? Less dialog trees?

nonononononononononono

nononononononono

Even just a little auto-dialog sucks, but almost none?

goddamit

Kem0sabe

Rachni wars, first contact war, Krogran Rebellions, ...

So much potential!

No thank you... at the pace bioware is removing any and all rpg element´s like... talking... we would just have another CoD clone in 3rd person... full of explosions but with little actual character development.

Dilly

Banned
ME3 GAF infinite loop engaged!

-WHAT, LESS AUTODIALOGUE?
*It gets much better after 15hours in
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!

I wonder if they had to streamline dialogue options to save space on the disc. Hard to believe they could be so misguided as to think removing opportunities to choose responses was somehow beneficial to the experience.

-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!

Lol was just about to say this.

Solo

-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!

15 hours in is like 75-80% of the way through an ME game.

Mass-Effect-Level-Up.jpg

Here's the level up screen from Mass Effect 1. You increase your proficiency in all the different weapon types and you also have some speech skills in there. Having a low level at a certain weapon type made Shepard incompetent at using that weapon. It's a shooter, but also an RPG.

Ss-014.jpg

Yeah, so? Many of ME's abilities were redundant or useless or were there just to give the impression of being complex, ME2 might have been a little too much trimmed down (BioWare recognized this a long time ago too) but it was also most focused and to the point. Having more skill points to spend or lots of armor/weapons retextures just hanging around to be turned into omnigel didn't make ME1 a better game or a better RPG.

Derrick01

Banned

-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!

So is this going to be the new FF13 where you have to play half to 75% of the game to get to the real RPG stuff?

Riggs

Banned
You all are making me want to cancel pre order lol, thnx gaf. Just kidding not your fault guys, I NEED TO BLAME SOMEONE. If I blame bioware I am afraid EA will ban me from SP : (

If you use the dictionary definition of role playing, then sure. In video game terms RPG means numbers, sliders and inventory. Heavy Rain wasn't anyone's favourite RPG of it's year. I think.

Well, fuck....my ME2 save is corrupt for some inexplicable reason. Guess I'll just have to play through with the default choices until I can be bothered to replay ME2 again.

Not happy at all, but it's my own fault for not backing it up on a mem card. :(

Solo

I replayed ME2 for the 5th time a couple months ago doing everything and it took me 37 hours. 15 hours will likely be about halfway in 3.

Funny, I've never been able to get past 20 hours with EITHER game, and that includes do-everything runs.

Can we put in the OP that there ARE dialogue choices, it seems like every page or so we go over the same thing.

At the veey leaat we could say there are conflicting reports about it.

I replayed ME2 for the 5th time a couple months ago doing everything and it took me 37 hours. 15 hours will likely be about halfway in 3.

I beat ME2 in 13 hours right before starting ME3

Can we put in the OP that there ARE dialogue choices, it seems like every page or so we go over the same thing.

At the veey leaat we could say there are conflicting reports about it.

I don't see anyone saying there aren't dialogue choices, the issue is that they're so few and far in-between (so far) that there may as well not be any.

Top Bottom