• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That worked, just needed to put the underscores in between John,Class, level number. and make up a number at the end.

Thanks.

No problem. I'm glad it worked for you, because it means it's going to work for me too!

bigace33

Anyone pre-order on Amazon with 2 day prime shipping? It says the estimated delivery date is the 9th which is 3-4 days, definitely not acceptable if I'm paying for faster shipping service.
You must have ordered over the weekend. Prime shipping is always on the money. Say if you order something on what's considered a business day like today, you would get your item by Wednesday if you chose 2 day shipping. If you ordered on a Saturday or Sunday you may get that extra days delay. I've never had an amazon item come late, if anything I've had them come a day early.

If you get there as soon as they open, there's a possibility. Just go straight to the gaming area and ask someone or they may have them already on the shelf. Way better chance than if you tried a Gamestop or something.

I have a chance!

Not sure, the Best Buy over here in the Bay Area said they weren't getting any more CEs, and all their preorders are booked.

I had ordered 2 CEs for 360 on Amazon, and....drumroll.... Just sold one on EBay for $145. Cue maniacal laughter.

... I no longer have a chance. :(

Violet_0

Banned
I hope this is more like ME1 than ME2. I hated that game.

The demo didn't do anything to assuage my concerns though....

without knowing much about the game, it seems ME3 is a continuation of ME2's gameplay

I'm in the ME1 > ME2 crowd, but 2 was quite good. I really wish the games were less third person shooter and more RPG though.

Zeliard

It ain't rose-colored if you were just as enamored by ME1 when you had only played ME1 as you were after having played ME2.

No, but it is unfortunate to have ever been enamored by ME1 ;)

Such a schizophrenic game. ME2 at least had the benefit of being much more confident in what it wanted to do (that is, to be a shooter). First one wanted to have its cake and eat it too.

spekkeh

Banned
HI EVERYBODY:

I have never really played a Mass Effect game. I played ME1 for about 20 minutes, stopped playing, and then never played it again. Would it be possible to jump into ME2 without playing through ME1? And then move up to ME3?

GAFfers will GAF, but the two games are really not that different from each other. ME1 has the slightly more impactful story and ME2 the slightly better gameplay mechanics. If you hated 1, you won't like 2 much either, because it's essentially a sequel through and through. Unless you hated 1 for the atrocious framerate, that at least has been much improved in 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm the kind of guy who would never recommend that someone skip the first two games to play the third.

Play the first two, and then play the third. I don't see the point of playing ME3 if you haven't played the other two. ME3 will still be here while you play the other two. Don't bother rushing. Take your time, and enjoy those two games, and then come back in a month and play ME3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe he won't like ME2's small scope and non-story. Who knows?

You really think that "Chasing the Collectors" is the only thing that we see in ME2? I learned as much new stuff about the ME universe in ME2 than i did in ME1.

Oh Solo, you and your blind hatred.

Moaradin

ME1 tried to be a TPS and a RPG and it did both poorly. ME2 got rid of the horribly clunky RPG mechanics of the first game, but improved the gameplay greatly. ME3 finally looks like a good mix of TPS and RPG.

I'm the kind of guy who would never recommend that someone skip the first two games to play the third.

Play the first two, and then play the third. I don't see the point of playing ME3 if you haven't played the other two. ME3 will still be here while you play the other two. Don't bother rushing. Take your time, and enjoy those two games, and then come back in a month and play ME3.

Yeah it absolutely baffles me that anybody would buy the third game in a story driven trilogy without playing the first two. Like, zero brains.

Also, watching Firefly and there is a character named "The Shepard".
Lol.

Mission after the intro has some awesome ME1 style music.

I also think it needs to be reiterated how terrible the beginning is, probably the most cynical introduction to a high-budget game in a long time. It's so damn bad that it's hurting my opinion of the game even though things appear to be improving lulz.

Tess3ract

Banned
No, but it is unfortunate to have ever been enamored by ME1 ;)

Such a schizophrenic game. ME2 at least had the benefit of being much more confident in what it wanted to do (that is, to be a shooter). First one wanted to have its cake and eat it too.
Right but therein lies the point. We didn't want a shooter in space like the other 23483242 billion others. We wanted a TPS rpg in space that was fucking unique.

I just can't recommend jumping into a sequel without playing the first game.

You'll be missing out on the excellent first game, so hell no.

thetrin

I just recommend jumping into a sequel without playing the first game.

You'll be missing out on the excellent first game, so hell no.

Are you arguing with yourself?

And Bioware doesn't want to make that game, obviously.

And we're all poorer for it, though the improve skill tree in ME3 shows that they at least understand ME2's skill system was too simplistic.

Right but therein lies the point. We didn't want a shooter in space like the other 23483242 billion others. We wanted a TPS rpg in space that was fucking unique.

Sorry, but ME is like nothing else I've ever played. Don't know what the hell you could draw a comparison with. Gears? Not really. Halo? Absolutely not. What's your clever comparison that shows ME is so similar?

I also think it needs to be reiterated how terrible the beginning is, probably the most cynical introduction to a high-budget game in a long time. It's so damn bad that it's hurting my opinion of the game even though things appear to be improving lulz.

If it's the same as the demo, I have no idea what your problem is. Didn't see how they could've done it better.

thetrin

Sorry, but ME is like nothing else I've ever played. Don't know what the hell you could draw a comparison with. Gears? Not really. Halo? Absolutely not. What's your clever comparison that shows ME is so similar?

If it's the same as the demo, I have no idea what your problem is. Didn't see how they could've done it better.

A subdued trial would have been nice (peppered with some action-based flashbacks to set the pacing). Not every video game intro needs to be awful hackneyed dialogue ("we fight or we die!"), followed by THINGS EXPLODING WAAAAAAAAH!!!

Glad to hear the rest of the game is good, though.

Do you unlock all races/classes in MP from the start?

I was under the impression that you would have all classes but not all races, and it would unlock much like the demo.

A subdued trial would have been nice (peppered with some action-based flashbacks to set the pacing). Not every video game intro needs to be awful hackneyed dialogue ("we fight or we die!"), followed by THINGS EXPLODING WAAAAAAAAH!!!

Glad to hear the rest of the game is good, though.

Yeah I would've liked a trial beforehand actually... but in all honesty, all that's doing is delaying the Reaper invasion, which is the real point. Shepard's been wrongly accused of being a lunatic in two games, I think it was about time he got proved right.

LosDaddie

Banned
HI EVERYBODY:

I have never really played a Mass Effect game. I played ME1 for about 20 minutes, stopped playing, and then never played it again. Would it be possible to jump into ME2 without playing through ME1? And then move up to ME3?

Yes, that's what I would recommend at this point. ME1 was a fine introduction into the franchise, but it had long load times, bad framerate, clunky combat mechanics, and an atrocious inventory system (on X360). It also took about 8hrs to get going. I also didn't find the story to be anything great, either. Decent narrative, but ultimately forgettable. I'd watch IGN's (or maybe GT's) 5min "What Happened in ME1" video and jump to ME2.

ME2 is just a better game all around, even though it's less of an RPG than ME1. You can tell Bioware had a better focus of what they wanted to do in ME2. The main narrative (Shepard vs Reapers) doesn't really advance in ME2, but the missions to recruit/gain loyalty of your crew was awesome. Final mission had me cheering out loud, actually.

I liked Mass Effect 1 and 2!

Same.

Yeah I would've liked a trial beforehand actually... but in all honesty, all that's doing is delaying the Reaper invasion, which is the real point. Shepard's been wrongly accused of being a lunatic in two games, I think it was about time he got proved right.

I think it's funny because Shepard is a lunatic in the first two games, he's just coincidentally correct about his delusions.

Kem0sabe

Wasn´t the prologue in the full game supposed to have more dialogue options than the demo? I´m seeing the exact same ones... with the exact same shitty textures and lip sync problems... hmm, PR *sigh*

Top Bottom