• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

rJeTQ.png

wtfisthisshit

srsly

Tess3ract

Banned
And Bioware doesn't want to make that game, obviously.

And they're intellectually poorer for it.
Sorry, but ME is like nothing else I've ever played. Don't know what the hell you could draw a comparison with. Gears? Not really. Halo? Absolutely not. What's your clever comparison that shows ME is so similar?
It now has more in common with gears or halo than any normal rpg out there. The worst part is it doesn't even emulate THOSE things well either. It's a poor man's TPS with a conversation wheel.

JerkShep

I have to wait until Friday probably...I'm tempted to play a bit of MGS4 this week so I won't mind the auto-dialogue too much after hours of non-interactive cutscenes *sigh*

Finished the ME2 Arrival DLC this weekend. Amazon has the status of my Collector's Edition of ME3, which I ordered with release date delivery, as "Shipping Soon." My body is ready.

Zeliard

And we're all poorer for it, though the improve skill tree in ME3 shows that they at least understand ME2's skill system was too simplistic.

RPG is my favorite genre and I sympathize with people who want Mass Effect to be a true space opera RPG, which is something we basically never get. But it's just as clear that Bioware doesn't want to make that game, so I don't personally see the point in wishing for it.

They want Mass Effect to sell much more than it already does and all of their design decisions and marketing tactics are geared toward increasing mainstream acceptance for the franchise. With ME3 they removed any pretense otherwise with those Action/Story/RPG playthrough options. When that was revealed it was totally unsurprising.

Maybe if they lend the Mass Effect franchise to Obsidian to mess with we'll get something truly interesting, though I don't see that ever happening. :p

As it stands I'm okay with the Mass Effect franchise as a solid third-person shooter, and a shooter that's much more interesting than most that we get. Some people view that as an insult though I don't particularly see why, given Bioware's intentions.

I've said this before - ME2 is disappointing relative to your typical RPG, but relative to your typical shooter, it's a gem. Vastly more interesting characters, dialogue, world and general art design/music than you'll find in 90% of shooters this gen. Approaching it from that viewpoint, the series is generally fine by me, outside of the misjudged combat of the first.

It now has more in common with gears or halo than any normal rpg out there. The worst part is it doesn't even emulate THOSE things well either. It's a poor man's TPS with a conversation wheel.

I disagree with that. I'm going through an Insanity run right now and ME2's combat feels very solid outside of some of the primitive elements of the cover system (like not being able to bounce cover-to-cover), which I understand has been tweaked in ME3.

And they're intellectually poorer for it.

No... no it doesn't. That's a really silly thing to say.

Tess3ract

Banned
RPG is my favorite genre and I sympathize with people who want Mass Effect to be a true space opera RPG, which is something we basically never get. But it's just as clear that Bioware doesn't want to make that game, so I don't personally see the point in wishing for it.

They want Mass Effect to sell much more than it already does and all of their design decisions and marketing tactics are geared toward increasing mainstream acceptance for the franchise. With ME3 they removed any pretense otherwise with those Action/Story/RPG playthrough options. When that was revealed it was totally unsurprising.

Maybe if they lend the Mass Effect franchise to Obsidian to mess with we'll get something truly interesting, though I don't see that ever happening. :p

As it stands I'm okay with the Mass Effect franchise as a solid third-person shooter, and a shooter that's much more interesting than most that we get. Some people view that as an insult though I don't particularly see why, given Bioware's intentions.

I've said this before - ME2 is disappointing relative to your typical RPG, but relative to your typical shooter, it's a gem. Vastly more interesting characters, dialogue, world and general art design/music than you'll find in 90% of shooters this gen. Approaching it from that viewpoint, the series is generally fine by me, outside of the misjudged combat of the first.

I agree with all of your points here. This pretty much outlines my disappointment and the reason behind other's disappointments with ME2 and now ME3.

I find this whole "we want to make more money so lets cater to people who wouldn't otherwise be interested by making it more of a shooter" insulting, on a base level. It's not a game for them, stop trying to make it into something it's not. Sure that comes off as elitist but I really don't care because it's how I feel from the bottom of my heart.

Having played the demo of ME3, it doesn't feel any less clunky than ME2, and the very close camera and extremely poor animations (W/r/t movement) worsen this effect for me.

Symphonic

I disagree with that. I'm going through an Insanity run right now and ME2's combat feels very solid outside of some of the primitive elements of the cover system (like not being able to bounce cover-to-cover), which I understand has been tweaked in ME3.

Fucking this. Beautifully stated.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not for Canadians it won't. It won't even ship till the 9th for some fucking reason. Last time I buy from Amazon.

Lol, i'm even more glad i preordered it at my local EB Games. They have the game since saturday and i'll be able to pick it up tomorrow.

bigace33

Skipping over ME 1 or ME 2 would be tragic. ME1 was an excellent introduction to the ME universe, ME 2 was more action packed and was more about the characters you gathered for this dangerous mission. I place the Mass Effect series among some of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever released. Before you die you should experience the entire ME trilogy and also:

TV - Lonesome Dove

Music- Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Movies- The Godfather trilogy (yes, even 3)

These are pieces of entertainment that every man or woman should experience in their entirety before they leave this earth. In short, do not skip ME 1 or 2. Thanks for your time.

Sober

Logic? In a Mass Effect thread? Well I never!

I can say for sure that my memories of ME1 aren't rose tinted because I got into the series later and went straight from ME1 to ME2 on the same day.

Didn't like ME2 at all by the end of the first day with it. Continued on because everyone said it was Game of the Year and because ME1 was so awesome, but I had to force myself through.

Bisnic

I don't know which Reaper Emily Wong is seeing on the ANN tweet, but what a slow noob. All other Reapers attacked in a matter of seconds. This one is taking almost an hour to start shooting at something.

joe2187

Banned

This, this is exactly how I feel about this franchise, that and the overall writing of the game seemed more dumbed down than the first, Why cant games keep a consistent story!?

Skipping over ME 1 or ME 2 would be tragic. ME1 was an excellent introduction to the ME universe, ME 2 was more action packed and was more about the characters you gathered for this dangerous mission. I place the Mass Effect series among some of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever released. Before you die you should experience the entire ME trilogy and also:

TV - Lonesome Dove

Music- Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Movies- The Godfather trilogy (yes, even 3)

These are pieces of entertainment that every man or woman should experience in their entirety before they leave this earth. In short, do not skip ME 1 or 2. Thanks for your time.

tumblr_lpjr1rfrVN1qii6tmo1_250.gif

Kunohara

Cancel your order to get it from a brick and mortar. Unless you're a CE guy.

Take a guess which one I have. I'm going to try and go to a Futureshop tomorrow that's near my work. For some reason these guys always seem to have extra CE's of games, so if I manage to get it, amazon can take a flying leap.

Come on. EVERY GAME RELEASE we see these types of posts, and 99.99% of the time, Amazon gets it there the day of release.

And if they don't get it there on release day, people have generally been able to get a free gift certificate or credited part of the purchase back after talking with Amazon Customer Service.

Symphonic

12 hours into my ME2 run. Lair of the Shadow Broker was a lot longer than I remembered, I could probably be close to done by now if it wasn't for that.

Also doing all the loyalty missions, except Jacob's, so it's gonna take a bit.

Tex117

Banned
I like Mass Effect as much as the next dude, but to compare it to Lonesome Dove....I dunno man.

Mass Effect turned to a decent TPS with a solid story and RPG-lite elements. Its fun, its entertaining, I enjoy playing it, but it does not satisfy the hardcore RPGer in me.

I still don't get the "Mass Effect isn't an RPG anymore" crowd, it never was it was conceived as an RPG/Shooter hybrid from the get go, part of his appeal was the concept of making it appealing to the masses and that's exactly what the franchise has accomplished as it's insanely popular today.

There's not even that much of a difference aside from the combat from ME1 to ME3 at all, most of the things people complain about are design choices that don't have anything with role-playing, and I think it's pretty clear by now that for the purpose of the story the cluncky ME1 combat wasn't the best choice at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My CE isn't shipping until Thursday. I'm going to check Best Buy tomorrow before work and see if they have any extra Ps3 CEs lying around. If they do I'll grab it from there then return the unopened one from Amazon to BB with the receipt. I got it for $60 on Amazon, otherwise I would just cancel.

So I'm like 2 hours in
just met the reporter
...when the hell do we actually start getting dialogue choices? So far it's been pretty much entirely auto-dialogue with only a handful of choices, it's about the same ratio as the demo.
"recruiting" the reporter was just Shepard hearing two sentences from her and going "derp sounds good" smh

For all of ME2's needless streamlining Bioware at least left that part alone, why change it for ME3?

Tess3ract

Banned
PC is the definitive version anyways, with all the mods in the future (hacks really) and ability to utilize save files and better framerates.

And if they don't get it there on release day, people have generally been able to get a free gift certificate or credited part of the purchase back after talking with Amazon Customer Service.
Amazon.ca doesn't do this. Or at least they've never done this for me.

in short, fuck amazon canada.

Kem0sabe

So I'm like 2 hours in
just met the reporter
...when the hell do we actually start getting dialogue choices? So far it's been pretty much entirely auto-dialogue with only a handful of choices, it's about the same ratio as the demo.
"recruiting" the reporter was just Shepard hearing two sentences from her and going "derp sounds good" smh

From what i read from a 7 hour playthrough, dialogue choices were limited so far even in rpg mode, alignment choices amount to only one so far in 7 hours... also the demo is word for word exactly like the full game, bioware didnt improve a thing in the final version.

bigace33

I like Mass Effect as much as the next dude, but to compare it to Lonesome Dove....I dunno man.

Mass Effect turned to a decent TPS with a solid story and RPG-lite elements. Its fun, its entertaining, I enjoy playing it, but it does not satisfy the hardcore RPGer in me.
lol I was reaching a bit with that one. Glad to see someone else who recognizes the awesomeness of Lonesome Dove.

d00d3n

Does the game begin at level 26 for everyone or only for those who imported from ME2? I am asking because I don't want some super easy beginning where the balancing is weird.

I still don't get the "Mass Effect isn't an RPG anymore" crowd, it never was it was conceived as an RPG/Shooter hybrid from the get go, part of his appeal was the concept of making it appealing to the masses and that's exactly what the franchise has accomplished as it's insanely popular today..

Mass-Effect-Level-Up.jpg

Here's the level up screen from Mass Effect 1. You increase your proficiency in all the different weapon types and you also have some speech skills in there. Having a low level at a certain weapon type made Shepard incompetent at using that weapon. It's a shooter, but also an RPG.

Ss-014.jpg

Now look at the one from ME2. You get a choice between fire bullets and ice bullets. You don't have to use either because shooting people in the face works well.

Dresden

Does the game begin at level 26 for everyone or only for those who imported from ME2? I am asking because I don't want some super easy beginning where the balancing is weird.

You start at whatever your import character was. So 30 for me, etc.

I think the enemies scale, though.

Solo

Amazon.ca doesn't do this. Or at least they've never done this for me.

in short, fuck amazon canada.

I'm a Canadian and 95% of the time I order from Amazon.COM

So much better. And they always refund your import costs, so in the end its like buying from Canada.

-viper-

Banned
I have played both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. Sorry, but ME2 trumps over it in almost every way. The combat in the first game was painful to play through. While I still like the first game, Mass Effect 2, to put it bluntly, was bigger, better and more 'epic'. I like the action-RPG focus of the Mass Effect series. I have not played any other RPG game because they are by large, a bore fest. This is not the case with the Mass Effect series however! I tried playing games like Fallout and Oblivion, but my interest wanes after a few hours.

It's a shame Mass Effect 3 is the last game in the series, because there is nothing like the Mass Effect series. Great music, great setting, great characters and great writing. And lastly, it has a healthy dose of action that I crave in all games. Not so much so it's simply a shooter, but not so little so it feels like I'm playing an extremely passive game.

I tried Deus Ex Human Revolution. It was good, but Mass Effect 2 was far more enjoyable to me. No other RPG game on the market compares with ME!

Bisnic

From what i read from a 7 hour playthrough, dialogue choices were limited so far even in rpg mode, alignment choices amount to only one so far in 7 hours... also the demo is word for word exactly like the full game, bioware didnt improve a thing in the final version.

From what i've heard, there's as much dialogues choices as you're used to in ME games later, but some/most minor characters don't have much stuff to choose from. Something like that anyway.

It's a shame Mass Effect 3 is the last game in the series

It's not the last Mast Effect game lol. It's the last of the trilogy about Shepard's story. You'll get your ME4 and ME5 someday, you can be sure about that.

Mass-Effect-Level-Up.jpg

Here's the level up screen from Mass Effect 1. You increase your proficiency in all the different weapon types and you also have some speech skills in there. Having a low level at a certain weapon type made Shepard incompetent at using that weapon. It's a shooter, but also an RPG.

Ss-014.jpg

Now look at the one from ME2. You get a choice between fire bullets and ice bullets. You don't have to use either because shooting people in the face works well.

Fire ammo works better against armour. Cryo ammo freezes your target. I don't get it...

Top Bottom