• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

ME3 GAF infinite loop engaged!

-WHAT, LESS AUTODIALOGUE?
*It gets much better after 15hours in
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
Yeah, I'm glad it's only 15 hours in, whew.

Kem0sabe

Can we put in the OP that there ARE dialogue choices, it seems like every page or so we go over the same thing.

At the veey leaat we could say there are conflicting reports about it.

I don´t think people are claiming that there are no dialogue choices... just that there are so very few of them, and those that are there have few choices.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One of my ME2 saves is 60 hours.

Sixty.

At least 30 of those were spent with Tali.

~uguuu

It's not anything huge plotwise (in the grand scheme it's probably relatively minor), but it's very close to something I have jokingly suggested in past ME-bitching threads as a pie-in-the-sky scenario.

Dresden

Sorry, I completed ME2, all loyalty missions, only main quest, no side missions in 24 hours. And it was like, my fourth playthrough, so I wasn't exactly taking my time.

My last playthrough was 17 hours long, with most of the dlc content, all loyalty missions, and a few of the n7 side missions.

It always surprised me when people said they spent 40+ hours on this game--was half of that spent scanning planets?

ShaneB

In those 2 stat comparison pictures the whole point is being missed. It's a Soldier... who the heck wants to play a boring Soldier!? :p

Tess3ract

Banned
ME3 GAF infinite loop engaged!

-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!
-Phew, thanks a lot!

The game is practically 15 hours long

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got spoiled on something I didn't know before.

And it made me...

...extremely happy.

Me.

This is good news. I'll ask what it is after the game is out since I don't want to be spoiled but several people have had reactions like this to various things ME3 which makes me really excited.

9l1WP.gif

Hey, while I'm here. I hate when people start their questions with "Am I the only one who..." but this time I feel like I might actually be the only one.

Am I the only one with a virgin Shepard? When I play RPGs I get into the actual roleplaying and don't select the good option for the good points and the good trophy, I choose the one that makes more sense to me considering the situation I'm in. So I didn't want to just have a sex scene for the sake of having it. In ME1 Liara was way too eager to get it on, and I said no because I wanted to find out more about the Asari before. Who knows what kinky shit her race is into. In ME2 Miranda wanted to get it on just as I was about to do a dangerous mission to save the galaxy, so I was like "WTF woman, priorities"

So yeah, two games down and no sex scene. Anyone else?

I think reviews go up tomorrow.

I really don't understand why companies put a hold on reviews until release. As a critical consumer, that spells "very troubled shit" for me and going in blind is not preferable either. As far as avoiding spoilers (reviewers tend to fail avoiding them) I can imagine, but I don't see how this is beneficial for any party involved.

If I were running a reviewing site or outlet, why would I even bother dealing with the company if I cannot publish anything until release day? Simply acquiring the game early would have me beat everyone and potentially make my review the most read... so, why put it on release day?

Just something that bothers me a bit.

@current discussion:
Less dialogue trees might seem like a problem, but then again the first few hours of ME2 were hardly eventful in a moral sense either. Mostly it was just rebuilding shepard, getting a few teammembers and then Horizon. Which is the also the point were you switch to disk 2, if memory of my Xbox360 version serves me right.

The sidequest thing worries me a lot more actually. I am a completionist after all.

Seeing people already complaining of lack of dialogue options on BW forums, ahhh oh well. Gotta love em

Well Bioware lied about the hi-res textures as well as "the demo has less dialogue than the full game!", of course those crazies are gonna be mad.

Solo

Hey, while I'm here. I hate when people start their questions with "Am I the only one who..." but this time I feel like I might actually be the only one.

Am I the only one with a virgin Shepard? When I play RPGs I get into the actual roleplaying and don't select the good option for the good points and the good trophy, I choose the one that makes more sense to me considering the situation I'm in. So I didn't want to just have a sex scene for the sake of having it. In ME1 Liara was way too eager to get it on, and I said no because I wanted to find out more about the Asari before. Who knows what kinky shit her race is into. In ME2 Miranda wanted to get it on just as I was about to do a dangerous mission to save the galaxy, so I was like "WTF woman, priorities"

Turn in your e-man card.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My ME2 runs always take around 30 hours. But that's because i do every single missions, scan planets when i need minerals, listen to most dialogues without skipping anything and sometimes read planet descriptions just "because". And that's with normal difficulty!

I dunno what people are skipping for doing it in less than 20.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I do, but it was an accident. I chose the wrong dialogue option and cut off my romance with Garrus in ME2.M y only other save was 15 hours earlier and I had everything else perfect.

Didn't care for the romance options in 1. I had gotten them before but when I switched over to the PS3 version I just chose neither during the comic.

Garrus and femshep will be getting together in ME3 though, as long as it's possible. I chose femshep's love interests based off of who deserves to get laid most in the crew and that's Garrus.

EmCeeGramr please no more...
Agreed. Not sure what everyone else seems to know but I don't want to know any more.

Solo

Yea I gotta agree with the others here, 20 hours to do everything in either game? On your first playthroughs?

No, you are confusing two things here. I said that Ive not gone beyond 20 hours with either game, and that Ive done a do-everything run under 20 hours. I did not say I did a sub 20 hour, do everything run on my first playthrough.

Derrick01

Banned
ME1, maybe, but ME2, hell no. The only way I would believe that is if you skipped everything; planet scanning, loyalty missions, and assignments.

2 is a shorter game if you don't do a lot of planet scanning.

My recent full completion run took me 22 hours and that's with Kasumi, Zaeed, Shadow Broker, Hammerhead, Normandy and Arrival DLCs. My imported ME1 character had all the elements and level 60 so I started with like 50,000 of each element in 2. That ends up paying for a lot of stuff and eliminates probably a couple of hours of scanning.

Solo

2 is a shorter game if you don't do a lot of planet scanning.

My recent full completion run took me 22 hours and that's with Kasumi, Zaeed, Shadow Broker, Hammerhead, Normandy and Arrival DLCs. My imported ME1 character had all the elements and level 60 so I started with like 50,000 of each element in 2.

I should note that my sub 20 hour do-everything runs don't include DLC. Solo don't play that game.

Kem0sabe

Well Bioware lied about the hi-res textures as well as "the demo has less dialogue than the full game!", of course those crazies are gonna be mad.

I was honestly not expecting such blatant lying from their part, the high res thing was incredible, going as far as to state on reddit (more than once) that the game would have higher res textures.

Also, claiming that the demo was an earlier incomplete build... seriously *sigh*

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
Alright I'm about 14 hours in and I can confirm that the dialogue does get better. Through the first few hours I was getting a little worried. The introduction is not too good, it feels rushed with bad dialogue, and the next two missions don't get much
better. They only give you two dialogue options in situations where you should have more. I felt the first 4 hours just kinda seemed like a Micheal Bay movie and I was getting a little worried that Mass Effect 3 was gonna end up like gears of war. But
DO NOT PANIC the dialogue does in fact get much better particularly after you start to recruit crew members.

After the first initial missions and after you get to explore the Citadel and start some side missions the game starts to feel like good ole Mass Effect again. The weapon customization and upgrade system is awesome, feels alot like ME1. I think they did a good job again at polishing the combat and cover system, and the skill point system is definitely better than ME2, but still not amazing. Most of the technical things they changed/added I really cannot complain about.

Overall I think they did a great job at combining the good parts of ME1 and ME2. You have to take the game for what it is, and its really good. It may not be your typical in-depth, spreadsheet type RPG, but so far I am liking this better than ME2 and am really enjoying it. It is definitely a quality game you just have to let go of your strict definitions of Shooter and RPG and just enjoy the last episode of a trilogy that the gaming community won't soon forget.

Solo

I was honestly not expecting such blatant lying from their part, the high res thing was incredible, going as far as to state on reddit (more than once) that the game would have higher res textures.

Also, claiming that the demo was an earlier incomplete build... seriously *sigh*

Marketing ABCs. Always Be Closing.

Shepard's recent purchases:

Asari confessions: True Blue 27.

But what cutscene did you get before the Collector Suicide mission?

Tess3ract

Banned
The dialogue getting better does NOT justify the dialogue being bad early on.

That's the same awful arguement posed by FF13 fans. "but it gets better 30 hours in!" Yeah! That's THIRTY FUCKING HOURS IN. NOPE.AVI.JPG

Alright I'm about 14 hours in and I can confirm that the dialogue does get better. Through the first few hours I was getting a little worried. The introduction is not too good, it feels rushed with bad dialogue, and the next two missions don't get much better. They only give you two dialogue options in situations where you should have more. I felt the first 4 hours just kinda seemed like a micheal bay movie and I was getting a little worried that Mass Effect 3 was gonna end up like gears of war. But DO NOT PANIC the dialogue does in fact get much better particularly after you start to recruit crew members. After the first initial missions and after you get to explore the Citadel and start some side missions the game starts to feel like good ole Mass Effect again. The weapon customization and upgrade system is awesome, feels alot like ME1. I think they did a good job again at polishing the combat and cover system, and the skill point system is definitely better than ME2, but still not amazing. Most of the technical things they changed/added I really cannot complain about. Overall I think they did a great job at combining the good parts of ME1 and ME2. You have to take the game for what it is, and its really good. It may not be your typical in-depth, spreadsheet type RPG, but so far I am liking this better than ME2 and am really enjoying it. It is definitely a quality game you just have to let go of your strict definitions of Shooter and RPG and just enjoy the last episode of a trilogy that the gaming community won't soon forget.

Ok sounds good to me.

Top Bottom