• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

One thing I liked (minor spoiler)
is how they humanize Udina a bit by giving us a chance to talk with him one on one
. Dialogue opens up a leeeetle bit once you finally get to walk around the Normandy.

Am I so cynical to think that an exclusive review from IGN is pretty much a guaranteed high-score? I mean, IGN is the biggest mass market videogame outlet. You would assume that the first visible score to come out for ME3 would be at least 9 right?

A 9.0 is probably the minimum I would expect from IGN.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Am I so cynical to think that an exclusive review from IGN is pretty much a guaranteed high-score? I mean, IGN is the biggest mass market videogame outlet. You would assume that the first visible score to come out for ME3 would be at least 9 right?

What if it really deserve a 9? Is that really impossible in your eyes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty sure the rampant dismissal of 'low' scores (and by 'low' I mean respectable scores, like 8s) will be far worse than anything else. It always is.

Kem0sabe

IMO the good parts begin after 4-5 hours, and since the game as a whole is 40 hours or just 15-20 for the bare main quest, its not half the game at all

I´ve read that 14 hours in and the game get´s better, other´s like the above say 4-5, guess ill wait and see.

at 14 hours is about half the game if it´s anywhere near ME2 playtime to complete, i took about 25-30 hours for a full run of ME2.

Riggs

Banned
I'm pretty sure the rampant dismissal of 'low' scores (and by 'low' I mean respectable scores, like 8s) will be far worse than anything else. It always is.

Ya when ME3 gets a 7.5/8 and NeoGaf goes shit house, maybe Destructoid can farm another article out of it. Possibilities are endless!!!

Yeah but multiplatform games don't have the same kind of insanity surrounding them that platform exclusives do. Unless one platform is severally crippled for one reason or another, that is. Then things get really really ugly.

Designed my solution for comfy chair mouse gaming. Screw you Bioware!
P1000325.JPG
P1000328.JPG
Just going to wrap it with some nifty carbon vinyl and I'm ready to go.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah but multiplatform games don't have the same kind of insanity surrounding them that platform exclusives do. Unless one platform is severally crippled for one reason or another, that is. Then things get really really ugly.

This is true. But, you know, Mass Effect fans are...special.

Orgun

Aww the Mass Effect 3 demo multiplayer no longer works. I was hoping to play that until the game came out on Friday :(

Let's keep in mind that I never mentioned other reviews. Just that particular instance and the relatioship between EA and IGN. This was not a dig regarding ME3 reviews.

I'm not sure I follow. You're calling IGN's review into question and that it's suspect, due to some behind the scenes relationship wit EA, thus it's guaranteed to receive a high score. If IGN gave the game a 9, and almost every other reviewer gave it 6s and 7s, I'd agree. But it makes no sense, given most likely every other reviewer will give it a high score, so it's in line with everyone else, not because it's untrue and fake.

Someone out there is going to be ballsy enough to give ME3 the Mario Kart Double Dash score (7.9'D!!!!!!!!) and then the shit shall hit the fan.

Aww the Mass Effect 3 demo multiplayer no longer works. I was hoping to play that until the game came out on Friday :(

No, you see we have to wait 4 days and get the multiplayer taken from us. It's fairness y'see.

Also, is it just me that thinks 7/10 is a perfectly legitimate score? Maybe it's just my student brain talking, where 40% is a pass...

Fuck staggered releases.

Does anyone know why companies do this sort of thing? In the days of old there were issues like having to convert the game to PAL, localization issues and so on, but these don't tend to apply so much today.

Publishers like MGS have shown that you can have worldwide releases on the same day, so why wouldn't EA want to aim for that? It even gives you a much larger 24 hour sales figure you can use for marketing purposes!

Nori Chan

Quick question guys,

do you think I'll be able to reach level 60 on one playthrough of insanity in the first ME? Or will I end up having to play twice?

Derrick01

Banned
Quick question guys,

do you think I'll be able to reach level 60 on one playthrough of insanity in the first ME? Or will I end up having to play twice?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get any higher than 50 in the first playthrough, no matter the difficulty or the amount of things you do.

DTKT

I'm not sure I follow. You're calling IGN's review into question and that it's suspect, due to some behind the scenes relationship wit EA, thus it's guaranteed to receive a high score. If IGN gave the game a 9, and almost every other reviewer gave it 6s and 7s, I'd agree. But it makes no sense, given most likely every other reviewer will give it a high score, so it's in line with everyone else, not because it's untrue and fake.

We'll see I guess. It's just that relationship and the "preferential" treatment that comes with it have always puzzled me. But I don't want to derail the thread into another argument about reviews and objectivity.

IGN has a livestream at 1:00 PST. They review might go live at the same time.

MrDaravon

Quick question guys,

I replayed ME1 last last year a few times, IIRC it's not quite possible. Doing absolutely everything in the game including the DLC I think I hit like 56 or 57 maybe? Unless you get more XP on Insanity or something, I did that on a second playthrough with a different character.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get any higher than 50 in the first playthrough, no matter the difficulty or the amount of things you do.

I think maybe if you've already cleared the game with another character it lets you exceed the level cap. I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure when I started a new character (after having already beaten it with a different one) I was able to get into the high 50s on a new character.

It's not possible unless you already have the acheivements that grants the exp % bonus.

I thought that was a ME2 thing? He's talking about ME1.

I've had enough of your
tabloid journalism
doesn't quite have the same ring to it as snide insinuations or disingenuous assertions.

Hawk269

Some of you are playing the PC version early with the VPN trick...can we get any impressions from you PC gamers already playing?

Is there really better textures like someone tweeted about before? It was tweeted that the final game on PC will come with hi-res textures that were not part of the demo.

Appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Anyone??? Just really curious if the BioWare guy was full of shit or not about the higher res textures being in the final game.

Can't wait until my NDA/embargo is up, jeez louise. It's like I need to pee a big post of spoilers but I JUST HAVE TO HOLD IT IN WE'LL BE AT THE REST STOP TOMORROW.

https://twitter.com/#!/alliancenewsnet
Slowest fucking Reaper attack ever. If humans take this long to catch on, we're all doomed.

You mean like taking three years to travel a relatively short distance in space?

Halo 3 had the whole 'six months' time dilution thing, Mass Effect 3 has slowdown on the invasion. Wouldn't be much fun to play if the Reapers were not scaled down a bit in some regard. Acceptable loss for needs of entertainment.

oh great, now I'm typing in Mordin's voice.

Nori Chan

56 or 57?

I guess I can go through the motions in my first playthrough to probably get at least a couple levels than move onto the Insanity level to get to 60.

Top Bottom