• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

X-Frame

Yeah it is! Actually getting a bit tense while reading from the first post to the last.

I'm reading them too. This is a great idea by BioWare. Very cool and immersive. I hope that throughout the next couple months events from this feed translate over into the MP Co-Op somehow, where users must log in and help repel another invasion or attack with their characters.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't care too much about timed sidequests in the sense that there's no actual time limit but if you do some main missions they disappear.

But actual timed quests like "you have 5 minutes to do this" is inexcusable.

Oh, yikes, not liking the sound of this. My preferred method is to explore an area fully, hoard up all the sidequests, and then tackle them all before advancing the main story.

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on this? I would HATE to lose out on a sidequest because I took my time exploring/doing other things.

As others have said. Some are timed(start them right away), some are timed in a sort of (What have you done since you started it) sort of way. And others are not timed.

Its only a real issue if you are like me, which it sounds like you are a bit.

You can 100% lose sidequests if you play like you indicate. I have lost a good number of them. But it seems to me there are a ton of them in the game. So I wouldn't stress it too much. Also once everyone gets it, the guides are out and so forth Bioware may be more open as to what to do. IGN seemed to indicate they had some fail as well due to the timing. But I wouldn't stress it too much. The real isssue is simply that its sort of a mystery right now as to exactly how its working. I am sure it will be figured out just a couple hours after the game is released.

LDfnR.jpg

Hawk269

Im dieing here boys...I know people are playing the PC version...so put me out of my misery and confirm if hi-res textures are in for teh PC version...please???

Einbroch

Banned
Is there a story reason why quests are "timed"? Do planets go boom? Do people disappear?

'Cause if that's the case, then whatever. If they're just arbitrarily failed, that's lame.

Karak

I don't care too much about timed sidequests in the sense that there's no actual time limit but if you do some main missions they disappear.

But actual timed quests like "you have 5 minutes to do this" is inexcusable.

I think it will get cleared up here very soon on how its done. For 3 VERY specific missions I know for a fact that they were not timed like the ME2 Omega missions. Unless Bioware was counting the number of doors I passed through. Because it failed without me going offplanet or doing other missions. However, maybe that was a bug? Or maybe it counts something else. Personally I think its a small thing that seems like it could be larger due to the randomness of it. Once its explained I bet it will be less of an issue. And since people have already been warned to keep an eye on it, it will be easier anyway.

Being one of the first ones to play it and have it happen was VERY confusing that's why I posted about it to warn people to make sure to handle them when they could so they didn't have the problems I did.

I think the missions make sense being timed in some way as the war is coming. However, then there are other scenes and so forth where you are dallying around and playing grab-ass basically. It goes from pushing you to do things then...nothing to do at random times:) Sort of weird but not overly horrible yet.

Orgun

I'll wait until I've played the game myself before I get annoyed at these Timed Missions. Might actually make sense with the galaxy under attack.

I guess I don't feel the need to complete all of the sidequests in a single playthrough this time around, like I did in the previous games, since the outcomes aren't going to be carrying over to another game. I'll hold my judgement on the timed sidequest thing until I get a chance to see it for myself.

Why so much hate for timed missions? The game is a fucking action RPG already, now they pushed it more towards ACTION. Stop whinning and, as many raid leaders say, FOCUS!

Derrick01

Banned
Yes that's the case.

That's probably what Bioware wants us to think, but if they never actually show a consequence for failing a timed quest then all they're doing is adding unnecessary frustration to the player.

I mean the Collectors are going around in ME2 abducting human colonists but for the majority of the game they had no problem letting us wander around while it was happening. They had a couple forced main story missions after getting a certain number of party members, but what were the collectors doing the rest of the time? Getting a bite to eat?

Einbroch

Banned
Anyone have a fairly detailed synopsis of Mass Effect 2 including the DLC? I searched for it and couldn't find it. Wiki, Wikias, etc. No place with a down and dirty "here's what happened last game, including DLC".

Karak

Is there a story reason why quests are "timed"? Do planets go boom? Do people disappear?

'Cause if that's the case, then whatever. If they're just arbitrarily failed, that's lame.

Not the people involved with the quests no. At least not with any I have. They are still standing around. The quest just fails. For example a quest involving a Diplomats son failed and the diplomat just continues to stand there. The quest is just failed due to time limit or bug.

But the overall world and universe is under attack so the pressing time issue makes sense. I think this game has so much going on that all of us are going to have some really different ways of going through it and thus different problems or situations that others won't. Who knows if thats a kudo or if it results in an uneven experience.

One thing I have to say. Ashley is fucking hot now.

Anyone have a fairly detailed synopsis of Mass Effect 2 including the DLC? I searched for it and couldn't find it. Wiki, Wikias, etc. No place with a down and dirty "here's what happened last game, including DLC".

shepard dies and then isn't dead and then is a terrorist but not really

you fight space bugs and meet people then fight more space bugs and meet more people

then you solve their daddy/trust issues (the peoples' not the space bugs)

then you fight a WHOLE LOT of space bugs and then the third boss from contra 3

pakkit

Banned
So I'm the only person that kind of likes the idea of timed missions/not being able to play both sides? Granted, if people are unsure about whether or not a mission is timed or not, that's awful design.

I'm a completist, but the ME series has been all about multiple playthroughs since the start.

i-Lo

I think timed side quests are:

1. Relevant in ME3 because of the surrounding circumstances in the game.

2. Gives a sense of urgency

3. A sense of immersion based on choices having permanent consequences

4. A way for Bioware to make people replay the campaign. (I never played any ME1 game more than once. ME3 is looking to be the exception)

Derrick01

Banned
Funnily enough, timed missions are the reason I think Dead Rising is an awful game.

Yup I can't stand those games. They would be much more fun if you could just dick around finding all sorts of cool things to use against the zombies. Having a gun to my head, so to speak, for the whole game wasn't very fun.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If the reason that some fetch quests are timed are because you walked near a woman on the citadel begging a soldier to save his dying husband and you gotta run fast to the emergency to use medigel on him... yeah sure, guess it make sense. Its the only thing that make sense about timed sidequests. Anything else, i wont understand such decision.

Mr_Zombie

So anybody tried importing their ME1 Shepard with custom face into ME3? Was the face changed or was it the same? Can you customize the imported ME1 face (ME2 didn't let you customize the face - you could either import it or create a completely new one)?

Go back to being a terrible sales expert in Vita threads.

I'm anxiously awaiting your input in Vita threads. Preferably longer than one sentence.

As for timed missions - the game is already action RPG. You cannot play it turn-based. Guess what, you need to react quickly. I'm sure time limits they put are going to be very generous. This is a non-issue, GAF being GAF again.

Derrick01

Banned
Are we talking timed missions as in Arrival's timed sections? Because they were laughably easy to beat on standard difficulties.

Yeah and there wasn't anything else to do in Arrival. I'm not happy about being rushed to complete quests when I may want to wander around the hub world taking everything in. I mean just how much of the RPG side does Bioware want to keep taking away?

mxgt

Banned
As for timed missions - the game is already action RPG. You cannot play it turn-based. Guess what, you need to react quickly. I'm sure time limits they put are going to be very generous. This is a non-issue, GAF being GAF again.

It would be a non issue if the game actually told you, which I'm hearing it doesn't.

CrazyDude

Yeah and there wasn't anything else to do in Arrival. I'm not happy about being rushed to complete quests when I may want to wander around the hub world taking everything in. I mean just how much of the RPG side does Bioware want to keep taking away?

I don't believe time limits have anything to do with whether or not it is an rpg. The term for lack of rpg seems to be thrown around for everything somebody does not like about a game.

The disparity between the quest to save the world and the trivial quest to help some random dude has always been prevalent in RPGs. People don't seem to care about the immersion breaking. Timing out quests seems a bit much. Time isn't passing when you travel in any of the ME-games, only when the dev wants you, and WHEN it wants you, they have a good reasons because your crew is captured and probably dying.

Then again, I don't care that much but the way it seems to be designed is unnecessary and will make me probably play the game a little differently than I intended.

Lakitu

st5fu

I'm just going to take my time -- I'm not going to let stupid design choices affect the way I play the game.

X-Frame

Oh, yikes, not liking the sound of this. My preferred method is to explore an area fully, hoard up all the sidequests, and then tackle them all before advancing the main story.

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on this? I would HATE to lose out on a sidequest because I took my time exploring/doing other things.

I do the exact same thing. I have OCD at some points in the game and sometimes I want to clear my list of all side-quests before advancing.

Karak

So I'm the only person that kind of likes the idea of timed missions/not being able to play both sides? Granted, if people are unsure about whether or not a mission is timed or not, that's awful design.

I'm a completist, but the ME series has been all about multiple playthroughs since the start.

I am 100% ok with them if I understand the timing or even a hint about it. I am reserving my own judgment until I find out why I was randomly failing them.

That's probably what Bioware wants us to think, but if they never actually show a consequence for failing a timed quest then all they're doing is adding unnecessary frustration to the player.

I mean the Collectors are going around in ME2 abducting human colonists but for the majority of the game they had no problem letting us wander around while it was happening. They had a couple forced main story missions after getting a certain number of party members, but what were the collectors doing the rest of the time? Getting a bite to eat?

I was actually saying that based off what some other GAFers here were saying from their playtime so far. Like 20-30 pages back lol.

So if I understand correctly the jumping off point of ME3 is that the Reapers have invaded and are systemically fucking shit up all over the place. Right?

Therefore, if I'm tasked with missions that include getting to a location and helping out before the shit hits the fan and Reapers arrive (timed missions), I'm OK with that.

Because it makes sense in context of the story.

Top Bottom