• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

After ME2, the impressions stating that the writing and dialog get better over the course of the game at all is enough to keep me hyped.

Was going to just gamefly this and keep it later, but I just caved and walked into the Evil Empirestop at lunch and bought the standard 360 edition. Midnight here I come.

Xamdou

Origin just shipped my C.E and is going to arrive tomorrow! I originally ordered it with free shipping which would take 2-4 days to arrive but it looks like they did release day shipping for me!

Karak

I´ve read that 14 hours in and the game get´s better, other´s like the above say 4-5, guess ill wait and see.

at 14 hours is about half the game if it´s anywhere near ME2 playtime to complete, i took about 25-30 hours for a full run of ME2.

That's because 2-3 things change at around 4-5 hours in(depending on playstyle) and then the story jumps and starts really moving about 14 or so hours in. Again depending on playstyle of the player. How fast they move through things and sidequests taken. I moved pretty fast due to the failed sidequests and the timer issue but haven't got to any great new bits yet.

For me 4-5 was a slight bump but the bugs in battle and the dialogue remained about the same. 1 character interaction was really great, the other was horribly handled so they evened out for me. I was JUST getting to the main story hump when I stopped playing.

If there were less NPC bugs(namely getting stuck in locations) and other issues, and the writing suddenly jumped to ME1 and ME2 status with more roleplaying I would easily give it a 7 or 8. Taking away that 1-2 points for a very slow and unfocused start. And 7-8 isn't bad and fits right in line. I will be interested to see IGN's review simply because they were the ones to first agree about the 15 hours of weakness and then the turning point. But they were pretty high on the later 1/3rd of the story.

Either way its ME and for that I am happy to be playing it:)

Sai

Origin just shipped my C.E and is going to arrive tomorrow! I originally ordered it with free shipping which would take 2-4 days to arrive but it looks like they did release day shipping for me!
:D

Saw a few folks on Bioware's forums talking about theirs getting shipped too. So this has me hopeful that my CE will be shipped today.

You mean like taking three years to travel a relatively short distance in space?

Halo 3 had the whole 'six months' time dilution thing, Mass Effect 3 has slowdown on the invasion. Wouldn't be much fun to play if the Reapers were not scaled down a bit in some regard. Acceptable loss for needs of entertainment.

oh great, now I'm typing in Mordin's voice.

Plus according to Virgil in ME the Reaper extermination campaign was thorough and lasted for centuries.

sarcoa

Any other press doing multi today? Have you been able to find a game easily? I've gotten in two complete sessions, with it timing out ten or so times in between.

Lol yeah, you know that comic picture with a guy holding his hand with "must not fap" text? Should change it for "must not click spoilers".

RgVME.jpg

Plus according to Virgil in ME the Reaper extermination campaign was thorough and lasted for centuries.

This point - the fact that it took centuries for them to wipe out the Protheans - is driven home thoroughly in the game.

At one point Liara talks about how she could run away and probably see the end of her life, which would be several hundred more years yet, for instance.

Random invasion-related spoiler tidbits on the Reapers and their Cycle - not major, major story stuff but sideline notes from optional conversations:
Liara builds information pods which she fires out from the Normandy to hundreds of different worlds with everything we know about the Reapers and a full biography of everything that happens. You're given the chance to "write" the entry on yourself. It's part of the Liara relationship (not necessarily romance) stuff you can do. There is a thread through the game of not just saving ourselves, but like the Protheans laying out a better future for the next 'cycle' if you fail.

In relation to that, it's noted that the Reapers aren't touching the homeworld of the Yahg, the Shadow Broker's race. The suggestion is that they're so primitive that they'd be left for next time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For those that are playing the game, how are the skyboxes? I loved them in ME1(mostly on uncharted worlds) and was kinda disappointed how ME2 ones werent quite as impressive. There was rare cases like Grunt loyalty mission, but that wasn't enough to please me.

I saw one skybox on some alien moon in a ME3 video and that already looked pretty damn cool, hopefully there's more.

I'm not sure I follow. You're calling IGN's review into question and that it's suspect, due to some behind the scenes relationship wit EA, thus it's guaranteed to receive a high score. If IGN gave the game a 9, and almost every other reviewer gave it 6s and 7s, I'd agree. But it makes no sense, given most likely every other reviewer will give it a high score, so it's in line with everyone else, not because it's untrue and fake.

I think this is the wrong discussion, to be honest. IGN is not an isolated object. Reviewer nearly always tend to give the same scores and even look to others to see whether their score is 'right on the money'.
The issue is not that IGN or Gamespot or whatever would give the game a 9 or a 6, but that we can predict in advance that nearly everyone will have roughly the same scores.

The absolute lack of variance is what makes a 'metametric' a complete waste of time in terms of statistics. There are also a number of other processes in play that add to its lack of meaning. Nirolak made a thread a while back about the top ten 'games on metacritic', which showed a clear disconnect between review scores and user scores. And not just on the PS3 version of Skyrim.

I'm not saying this to tell you what you or others should believe or at least want to see happen, but as far as a review metric goes, it is far wiser to wait for user impressions like the ones here on gaf. Nothing else will give a reliable, meaningful idea of a game's quality.

edit: not trying to derail the thread btw.

Green Yoshi

The German Gamepro gives ME3 93%, they gave ME1 91% and ME2 93%.

I still have no good looking Shepard, I hope the editor in the full version has more options. I am still very annoyed that BioWare didn't transferred the face importer of ME2 into ME3.

Daft_Cat

This point - the fact that it took centuries for them to wipe out the Protheans - is driven home thoroughly in the game.

At one point Liara talks about how she could run away and probably see the end of her life, which would be several hundred more years yet, for instance.

Random invasion-related spoiler tidbits on the Reapers and their Cycle - not major, major story stuff but sideline notes from optional conversations:
Liara builds information pods which she fires out from the Normandy to hundreds of different worlds with everything we know about the Reapers and a full biography of everything that happens. You're given the chance to "write" the entry on yourself. It's part of the Liara relationship (not necessarily romance) stuff you can do. There is a thread through the game of not just saving ourselves, but like the Protheans laying out a better future for the next 'cycle' if you fail.

In relation to that, it's noted that the Reapers aren't touching the homeworld of the Yahg, the Shadow Broker's race. The suggestion is that they're so primitive that they'd be left for next time.

The problem with this is that the way they're visually depicted doesn't match the entire "centuries" thing. Look at the final shot of Mass Effect 2, and compare that to Mass Effect 3's opening..They'd wipe out our planet in weeks if not days. I would buy the premise that it would take years to kill off the entire human diaspora..maybe even decades..but centuries? Sentient life in general maybe..but we're talking about saving earth..so it sounds like the logic they're giving us is a bit of a bait and switch.

I couldn't resist. I read that and I really like that idea.

The problem with this is that the way they're visually depicted doesn't match the entire "centuries" thing. Look at the final shot of Mass Effect 2, and compare that to Mass Effect 3's opening..They'd wipe out our planet in weeks if not days. I would buy the premise that it would take years to kill off the entire human diaspora..maybe even decades..but centuries? Sentient life in general maybe..but we're talking about saving earth..so it sounds like the logic they're giving us is a bit of a bait and switch.

The Protheans may have been exceptionally good at hiding. Centuries is how long it took to locate every single Prothean. They may have destroyed the Prothean homeworld/majority in the first few weeks/years.

Karak

Can someone explain these sidequest timers I keep hearing about? It's not the fallout water chip thing is it?

Not really an issue. It just a bit of weirdness that, now forwarned, you won't run into half as much. But basically many sidequests are given out by very brief dialogue quips as you are exploring places like the citadel. But you need to do them and not delay because many can timeout. But there is not a good clear indicator of the time you have to do it.

For example I missed one about investigating a military death. I found it, went back to my ship had 1-2 cut-scenes but no travel then went back to the planet and the timer had already timed out. Even though there was no warning.

On some there is MUCH more time.

Basically if you get a sidequest, might as well do it asap instead of collecting them. That's my advice. But that's because the citadel can flood you with them and it can insane quick and you can start failing them in a row if you are trying to do one, it fails but you're in another section or area and if you don't rush to do the other it fails in a cascade. I got unlucky. Most people will probably fail a couple or perhaps a bunch. Luck of the draw a bit.

AppleMIX

Ok, I'm having trouble importing my character.

I downloaded a Shepard from a website and put it in the ME2 save directory and it's not showing up.

bengraven

Skipping over ME 1 or ME 2 would be tragic. ME1 was an excellent introduction to the ME universe, ME 2 was more action packed and was more about the characters you gathered for this dangerous mission. I place the Mass Effect series among some of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever released. Before you die you should experience the entire ME trilogy and also:

TV - Lonesome Dove

Music- Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Movies- The Godfather trilogy (yes, even 3)

These are pieces of entertainment that every man or woman should experience in their entirety before they leave this earth. In short, do not skip ME 1 or 2. Thanks for your time.

Finally someone else who represents LD4Lyfe.

Parham

Banned
Can someone explain these sidequest timers I keep hearing about? It's not the fallout water chip thing is it?

From what I understand, certain missions are time sensitive,
like disarming the bomb on Tuchanka. If you do not start that side mission in a timely manner, the bomb will detonate and prevent the Krograns from helping the Turians save Palaven. Granted, I only read about this on several other gaming forums. I cannot personally confirm that this particular mission has a timer.
However, it is clear that there will be certain quests that "expire" if you do not start them within a certain window of time.

Edit: Like APZonerunner said, the timer is based on missions completed, not your actual playtime.

The Protheans may have been exceptionally good at hiding. Centuries is how long it took to locate every single Prothean. They may have destroyed the Prothean homeworld/majority in the first few weeks/years.

It also includes the time it takes to harvest the spacefaring life, cover their tracks and reset all of the tech they leave for the next cycle.

From what I understand, certain missions are time sensitive,
like disarming the bomb on Tuchanka. If you do not start that side mission in a timely manner, the bomb will detonate and prevent the Krograns from helping the Turians save Palaven. Granted, I read about this on several other gaming forums. I cannot personally confirm that this particular mission has a timer.
However, it is clear that there will be certain quests will "expire" if you do not start them within a certain window of time.

To be clear, as far as I can see the timer isn't actual time, but number of proper missions or tasks you undertake. A bit like saving your crew post abduction in ME2.

The reviews will all be gushing with praise, it's a shoe in for GOTY and it's not even out yet.
No idea why people take any of them seriously, best wait to see what GAF says, or try it yourself

Lingxor

What are the chances of being able to import PC Sheps into the console version? When Skyrim came out there was some voodoo that let you move saves between platforms...

I've adopted the game pad as my preferred way to play games while lounging on my couch. I don't need kb/mouse precision unless I'm playing BF3. I hope my Femshep isn't stuck on PC.

Not really an issue. It just a bit of weirdness that, now forwarned, you won't run into half as much. But basically many sidequests are given out by very brief dialogue quips as you are exploring places like the citadel. But you need to do them and not delay because many can timeout. But there is not a good clear indicator of the time you have to do it.

For example I missed one about investigating a military death. I found it, went back to my ship had 1-2 cut-scenes but no travel then went back to the planet and the timer had already timed out. Even though there was no warning.

On some there is MUCH more time.

Basically if you get a sidequest, might as well do it asap instead of collecting them. That's my advice. But that's because the citadel can flood you with them and it can insane quick and you can start failing them in a row if you are trying to do one, it fails but you're in another section or area and if you don't rush to do the other it fails in a cascade. I got unlucky. Most people will probably fail a couple or perhaps a bunch. Luck of the draw a bit.

Oh, yikes, not liking the sound of this. My preferred method is to explore an area fully, hoard up all the sidequests, and then tackle them all before advancing the main story.

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on this? I would HATE to lose out on a sidequest because I took my time exploring/doing other things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are the chances of being able to import PC Sheps into the console version? When Skyrim came out there was some voodoo that let you move saves between platforms...

Gibbed's Save Editor will let you convert between 360/PC. PS3 version is locked.

Karak

Oh, yikes, not liking the sound of this. My preferred method is to explore an area fully, hoard up all the sidequests, and then tackle them all before advancing the main story.

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on this? I would HATE to lose out on a sidequest because I took my time exploring/doing other things.

As others have said. Some are timed(start them right away), some are timed in a sort of (What have you done since you started it) sort of way. And others are not timed.

Its only a real issue if you are like me, which it sounds like you are a bit.

You can 100% lose sidequests if you play like you indicate. I have lost a good number of them. But it seems to me there are a ton of them in the game. So I wouldn't stress it too much. Also once everyone gets it, the guides are out and so forth Bioware may be more open as to what to do. IGN seemed to indicate they had some fail as well due to the timing. But I wouldn't stress it too much. The real isssue is simply that its sort of a mystery right now as to exactly how its working. I am sure it will be figured out just a couple hours after the game is released.

zychi

Banned

I've adopted the game pad as my preferred way to play games while lounging on my couch. I don't need kb/mouse precision unless I'm playing BF3. I hope my Femshep isn't stuck on PC.

beaten.

Solo

As others have said. Some are timed(start them right away), some are timed in a sort of (What have you done since you started it) sort of way. And others are not timed.

You can 100% lose sidequests if you play like you indicate. I have lost a good number of them. But it seems to me there are a ton of them in the game. So I wouldn't stress it too much. Also once everyone gets it, the guides are out and so forth Bioware may be more open as to what to do. IGN seemed to indicate they had some fail as well due to the timing. But I wouldn't stress it too much. The real isssue is simply that its sort of a mystery right now as to exactly how its working. I am sure it will be figured out just a couple hours after the game is released.

What a dumb design decision. I don't even want to see anyone TRY to defend it.

Yeah. Not sure I'm feeling that decision.

I'm so excited for this game, but why would you penalize a player for exploring and taking his time by essentially taking content away from him?

Seems silly.

Dresden

nice design decision there, bioware

RyanDG

While I haven't been too fond of it overall, there are specific instances where you lose the quests because they are story related (to those quests). Think in ME2 with some of the quests on Omega where you have two branching paths down the quests. Additionally, when you start taking on sidequests where you are favoring specific factions over others, definitely expect to lose out on some of the quests that you may be holding or hoping to get from other factions. This is especially true when its obvious that there is a direct conflict between the two sides.

As for the specific timer, generally speaking, most of the times you lose out on quests when you reflect on it, it makes sense why. There are a couple of head scratchers though.

With all of that said, most of these are just simple side fetch quests. Most of the major story quests or really unique side missions make it obvious that there is a chance of failure if you either delay to long in taking it or look at completing another mission (that's related) with another quest.

Edit - And I should mention that I can't recall a specific quest that after you are given it. makes you go do it and complete it within X time limit. It's not related to a specific 'timer' per se, but more about what you are doing and interacting with in the world.

Top Bottom