• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Clean slate for Mass Effect 4,5,and 6. It's not suicide. There will be more games.

Its total suicide when thats the only way galactic travel functioned. And that was the big reason anybody played these games, to travel all over the galaxy shooting things.

Of course they could use space magic to fix it, but that isnt really fixing anything, just doing more stupid shit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, it's a lore inconsistency. My leap of logic is that Samara's "as far as I know" coupled with how the Asari treat Ardat-Yakshi implies that they're kept very secret from the Asari populous, including people like Samara, who is only aware of those Ardat-Yakshi as they are her own. For privacy reasons, other Ardat-Yakshi are effectively wiped from the record and kept at the Monastery.

Yeah. Giving that its a recessive gene thing, it was obvious there had to be more of them. I'm actually happy it was changed to make more sense.

Since Asari breed true. If my LI, Liara, crashes onto the planet with the rest of Normandy Inc, shouldn't the descendants, eventually, be almost entirely Asari?!

rouken

uh guys, is the middle choice the best ending? because i chose the right one: destroying the the tube thing.

it destroyed the reapers but it also destroyed the relays. does this happen in every ending? i don't want to replay that last part, listening to that kid annoys me a lot.

Yeah, it's a lore inconsistency. My leap of logic is that Samara's "as far as I know" coupled with how the Asari treat Ardat-Yakshi implies that they're kept very secret from the Asari populous, including people like Samara, who is only aware of those Ardat-Yakshi as they are her own. For privacy reasons, other Ardat-Yakshi are effectively wiped from the record and kept at the Monastery.
Of course that makes no sense if a full 1% of the population are ardat--yakshi. If there are say 1 trillion asari, that would be what 10 BILLION of them? How do you hide that?

Bioware just quit caring about consistency didn't they?

uh guys, is the middle choice the best ending? because i chose the right one: destroying the the tube thing.

it destroyed the reapers but it also destroyed the relays. does this happen in every ending? i don't want to replay that last part, listening to that kid annoys me a lot.

Destroy is the only ending. The rest don't exist. Be content that you selected correctly.

If Liara is on the planet with the rest of the Normandy crew, if she has any children, they'll be Asari. And when they have children, they'll be Asari. Eventually most of the population will be Asari. So naturally, the Stargazer should be Asari. With Buzz Aldrin's voice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

There is no good ending. Relays always end up destroyed.

Haunted

There's no consensus on what's the best ending (though I like the middle one - synthesis - best). The relays are destroyed in every ending.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's no consensus on what's the best ending (though I like the middle one - synthesis - best). The relays are destroyed in every ending.

It makes sense that it would be, since that option is locked out if you don't have enough reputation, I think? Though you only get that extended Shepard clip if you choose the Renegade path and have enough EMS.

It makes sense that it would be, since that option is locked out if you don't have enough reputation, I think? Though you only get that extended Shepard clip if you choose the Renegade path and have enough EMS.

Technically "Control" or "Destroy" are locked out (depending on what you did with the Reaper base). One is always there. Then the other unlocks. Then Synthesis. Finally, you get the "Shepard Alive, Destroy Ending" at the very end of the scale.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Technically "Control" or "Destroy" are locked out (depending on what you did with the Reaper base). One is always there. Then the other unlocks. Then Synthesis. Finally, you get the "Shepard Alive, Destroy Ending" at the very end of the scale.

Oh, so Synthesis is always there? How does the Reaper base effect either Control or Destroy options?

rouken

thanks guys, i will choose the middle one on my next playthrough. but too bad on the relays though. i'm thinking that after that happened, all those poor races fighting on earth scratch their heads asking how do they get back on their world.

Oh, so Synthesis is always there? How does the Reaper base effect either Control or Destroy options?

No. Basically, its like this. I'm leaving out a few minor alterations like, Destroy-Earth Destroyed, etc.

Base Destroyed: Destroy always there. Then Control unlocks. Then Synthesis. Then Destroy-Alive.

Base Saved: Control always there. Destroy unlocks. Then Synthesis. Then Destroy-Alive.

I believe this is how it is. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure.

thanks guys, i will choose the middle one on my next playthrough. but too bad on the relays though. i'm thinking that after that happened, all those poor races fighting on earth scratch their heads asking how do they get back on their world.

Just youtube it. Its really not that different (SYNTHETIC HATS!!!), nor worth the time it takes to go through the unskippable dialogue.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Honestly, you wont see much difference with the Destroy ending, other than the color green when shit explode, seeing Reapers fly away instead of falling down, and a weird green glow on people coming outside of the Normandy. That's it.

They cant be true either. When you are doing the monastery mission there is a codex about a Justicar bringing an Ardat-Yakshi to the monastery. Whoever left the codex complains about how difficult the girl is and says that if she had behaved that way in front of the Justicar she would have been killed.

Well, all I know is that I consider an ending where Shepard lives the worst possible. Terrible.

Please. Take a seat. Let's try to get to the root of your Shepard-centric prejudices and hatreds. Feel free to be as honest and blunt as you want. We're here to help you.

mrplaid

Pointless query: depending on which ending you get (if you chose something other than Synthesis), does Joker still have green, glowy cyber-lines on his arms that suggest he's got robo DNA or whatever?

Tex117

Banned
I mean...I see what they were trying to do (at least with the synthesis ending)...they just...<sigh>...I don't know...

Was it that hard to throw a few panels and a synopsis about what happend?

They have done it before in other games.

I mean...I see what they were trying to do (at least with the synthesis ending)...they just...<sigh>...I don't know...

Was it that hard to throw a few panels and a synopsis about what happend?

They have done it before in other games.

Remove free will? Force a transcendent change upon every sentient lifeform? Finally admit that peace can only be achieved through the removal of diversity?

Digoman

If Liara is on the planet with the rest of the Normandy crew, if she has any children, they'll be Asari. And when they have children, they'll be Asari. Eventually most of the population will be Asari. So naturally, the Stargazer should be Asari. With Buzz Aldrin's voice.

That's a creepy thought. But I don't know about if that's what will happen. The Asari we meet in the series seem to have few children despite living a thousand years. Samara had 3, can't remember if Liara had any sister. Given that, I think the geometric progression of human population will be a lot more accelerated.

Of course, who knows how many children Asari will have if they're stuck in a jungle planet with nothing to do.

That's a creepy thought. But I don't know about if that's what will happen. The Asari we meet in the series seem to have few children despite living a thousand years. Samara had 3, can't remember if Liara had any sister. Given that, I think the geometric progression of human population will be a lot more accelerated.

Of course, who knows how many children Asari will have if they're stuck in a jungle planet with nothing to do.

Interspecies sex is fun.

Delivering is... not.

Also, I can't remember in ME2 the conversation on Illium, but I remember the Asari speaking of a salarian as a father ? So if a krogan bangs an asari, the asari will be baby ?

What if as asari bangs Eve ?

rozay

Banned
Of course that makes no sense if a full 1% of the population are ardat--yakshi. If there are say 1 trillion asari, that would be what 10 BILLION of them? How do you hide that?

Bioware just quit caring about consistency didn't they?

Well, it sure as hell explains all the banshees in multi player!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You know, I'm fine with the root concept of the synergy ending. It's kind of a neat idea and an interesting spin on things. It's kind of weird but hey, I'm flexible.

It's the total lack of explanation about it and all the other garbage that makes no sense that I have an issue with.

Digoman

What if as asari bangs Eve ?

You made me google "mass effect asari reproduction"....

The wiki says that DNA is always 100% Asari, it just uses the father as "map" to randomize the genes.

So, assuming they still make babies, then yes, the synergy ending makes that possible.

See, lots of speculation about the sex in the jungle planet. Point for Bioware.

Rufus

It's the total lack of explanation about it and all the other garbage that makes no sense that I have an issue with.
There's no way to make the synergy ending explainable. I don't see how you can change either form of life to be more like the other in any way that is not idiotic. At least not on a fundamental level, the way the game suggests. Change DNA to be more like synthetics? What? It's utter nonsense.
I like it in spirit, too, since I made peace between the Quarians and Geth, but it remains nonsense.

But then we have a Prothean, who can read the 'experience' of a floor tile, so who gives a shit... If it worked on water molecules (which it doesn't, apparently) he could reform Homoeopathy!

And before anyone asks, I could accept Biotics, because it all stems from just one bullshit element (literally) that is the backbone of the series' sci-fi. It was coherent. But they just went above and beyond along the way.

Karl2177

You made me google "mass effect asari reproduction"....

The wiki says that DNA is always 100% Asari, it just uses the father as "map" to randomize the genes.

So, assuming they still make babies, then yes, the synergy ending makes that possible.

See, lots of speculation about the sex in the jungle planet. Point for Bioware.
Liara walks up and hugs a tree while her eyes go black as she starts humping a branch. That's some speculation for everyone.

Tex117

Banned
Remove free will? Force a transcendent change upon every sentient lifeform? Finally admit that peace can only be achieved through the removal of diversity?

Yeah, but they were trying to get all "arty" using Christian underpinnings. Shepards (not only sacrifice, but his name as well), garden of Eden (Eve...Edi)......Hope for the future...blah blah. Im not saying it fits with the game or the MO of the whole series, but it does seem that is what they were shooting for (however misplaced)...

Especially with EDI and Joker on the earth like planet at the end...It was a "new beginning" of life as we know it.

I have no problem with Shepard dying...I do have a problem with the ending not matching the rest of the game's motivation.

(And the, buy DLC...advertisement)..

Digoman

And before anyone asks, I could accept Biotics, because it all stems from just one bullshit element (literally) that is the backbone of the series' sci-fi. It was coherent. But they just went above and beyond along the way.

No question about it, even in that fictional universe, the synergy ending makes no sense at all. Biotics were part of the ground rules established from the start, as the Mass Relays, etc. To introduce a new "magic" or "rule" in the last 5 minutes is just terrible writing.

Liara walks up and hugs a tree while her eyes go black as she starts humping a branch. That's some speculation for everyone.

Joker's hat is going to be jealous.

So... speaking about the stupid green ending: If Shepard is dissolved in the "light" before it spreads and converts everything in the galaxy, does that mean that he is now part-father of everything?

Tex117

Banned
You know, I'm fine with the root concept of the synergy ending. It's kind of a neat idea and an interesting spin on things. It's kind of weird but hey, I'm flexible.

My sentiments exactly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... speaking about the stupid green ending: If Shepard is dissolved in the "light" before it spreads and converts everything in the galaxy, does that mean that he is now part-father of everything?

Everyone got a little of Shepard in them. <3

No, he just gave everyone a galactic facial. It's why the Reapers leave in that ending. They needed to get tested for scale itch.

Doodis

I have no problem with Shepard dying...I do have a problem with the ending not matching the rest of the game's motivation.
Agreed. I knew it was likely that Shepard would not survive, and I was okay with that. What I did hope to see was some resolution with the other characters we had come to know over the course of three games.

Also, am I the only idiot that didn't realize I could walk to the different endings? I just kept walking toward the middle beam, thinking that when I got there I'd be given the option to choose. I didn't even notice the other two options on the side.

Of course, what's truly disappointing is that it didn't really matter, since the endings are all basically the same.

P.S. - Am I also the only one who thinks it's ridiculous they destroyed the mass relays, thus laying waste to any future adventures within this universe? It's like they were just tired of making ME games, so they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Tex117

Banned
P.S. - Am I also the only one who thinks it's ridiculous they destroyed the mass relays, thus laying waste to any future adventures within this universe? It's like they were just tired of making ME games, so they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Its does seem strange...why do this? It doesn't further any plot point.

Top Bottom