• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Its does seem strange...why do this? It doesn't further any plot point.

With the mass relays destroyed, the next cycle won't be dependent on Reaper technology. The Reapers, assuming they aren't all dead, wouldn't be able to predict new species technological evolution. I think.

P.S. - Am I also the only one who thinks it's ridiculous they destroyed the mass relays, thus laying waste to any future adventures within this universe? It's like they were just tired of making ME games, so they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

I honestly think they just didn't consider the full repercussions. I'm sure whatever they do in the future, if they make a post Reaper game set in the Mass Effect universe, the Mass Relays will be replaced to allow long distance travel across the galaxy.

Massa

P.S. - Am I also the only one who thinks it's ridiculous they destroyed the mass relays, thus laying waste to any future adventures within this universe? It's like they were just tired of making ME games, so they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

They can do pretty much anything with it still, it doesn't have to take place post Mass Effect 3.

flyover

Also, am I the only idiot that didn't realize I could walk to the different endings? I just kept walking toward the middle beam, thinking that when I got there I'd be given the option to choose. I didn't even notice the other two options on the side.
No, I did the same thing, as did some others in the thread. I think I was already in a full-on WTF fog, at that point, so I just lurched straight ahead and wound up accidentally taking the absolute last of the three crap choices I would've picked.

Except for Joker's robo-hat, it ultimately made no real difference in the ending, since I'm color blind.

Agreed. I knew it was likely that Shepard would not survive, and I was okay with that. What I did hope to see was some resolution with the other characters we had come to know over the course of three games.

Also, am I the only idiot that didn't realize I could walk to the different endings? I just kept walking toward the middle beam, thinking that when I got there I'd be given the option to choose. I didn't even notice the other two options on the side.

Of course, what's truly disappointing is that it didn't really matter, since the endings are all basically the same.

Introduce super FTL. Problems solved.

Introduce super FTL. Problems solved.

Any game that occurs post Reaper, will either take place thousands and thousands of years later and should be almost unrecognizable or there will be so much handwaving to undo all the stupid shit that happened at the end of ME 3. Either way, it is completely unappealing to me.

Dresden

Characters would go invisible completely randomly in ME3, I think Obsidian can handle that.

And of course, the invisible rock on Rannoch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its does seem strange...why do this? It doesn't further any plot point.

Furthering no plot point seems to be the point. Hudson stated that they had no intention of making post-ME3 games, instead focusing on during or pre-ME3. Ending the trilogy on a big note was more than ending the trilogy, it was ending in their eyes the game universe itself. This is coupled with their desire to fuel a speculative, vague future for the universe. It is likely they saw the end of ME3 as, to poke fun at the actual ending, the franchise' singularity: the point where all that happens after is an unknown, unpredictable, and fuelled entirely by theory and speculation.

This is one of those things that may not have stuck, especially if EA demanded they continue the universe (eg: pre/during ME3 games not selling well, high fan demand for a continued universe, etc), but this does appear to have been Hudson and Walters intention.

And no, it makes no sense, unless you're goal is franchise suicide.

Interfectum

This is one of those things that may not have stuck, especially if EA demanded they continue the universe (eg: pre/during ME3 games not selling well, high fan demand for a continued universe, etc), but this does appear to have been Hudson and Walters intention.

I think Bioware pretty much assured that most fans will not demand for anymore continuing adventures. My desire for more Mass Effect died 10 seconds after space boy appeared.

Tex117

Banned
Obsidian writing + BioWare gameplay and characters
This... :(

I just...am in awe at how bad they missed the mark...I can't say that "artistically" it is poor as a stand along little vinette, but the entire series was never supposed to be "stand alone."

Its like playing Duck Hunt and then have the ending to final fantasy stuck on the end.

I think Bioware pretty much assured that most fans will not demand for anymore continuing adventures. My desire for more Mass Effect died 10 seconds after space boy appeared.

I think you are in the minority. As burned as many of us are, we'd probably buy another Mass Effect game without even thinking about it.

Ah, so that's what this about. Well, never mind then. You live another day.

[whisper] Just one hint. One tiny hint. It's all I needed... [/whisper]

LiK

Furthering no plot point seems to be the point. Hudson stated that they had no intention of making post-ME3 games, instead focusing on during or pre-ME3. Ending the trilogy on a big note was more than ending the trilogy, it was ending in their eyes the game universe itself. This is coupled with their desire to fuel a speculative, vague future for the universe. It is likely they saw the end of ME3 as, to poke fun at the actual ending, the franchise' singularity: the point where all that happens after is an unknown, unpredictable, and fuelled entirely by theory and speculation.

And no, it makes no sense, unless you're goal is franchise suicide.

Storyteller w/ Buzz Aldrin: MY SWEET

inky

I think you are in the minority. As burned as many of us are, we'd probably buy another Mass Effect game without even thinking about it.

I'm going to make a list and laugh at each one of you directly when you make a thread complaining about that game as well :p

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm going to make a list and laugh at each one of you directly when you make a thread complaining about that game as well :p

Honestly I'd play a game as good as ME3 is for 95% of it anyday. I would just not be excited and would gamefly it and expect the ending to be literal poop from a butt.

Dresden

I'm not getting DA3 (skipped DA2, have no interest in that franchise), and whatever new property Bioware pushes out I'll be watching it warily. No more day 1 purchases.

Interfectum

I'd buy another Mass Effect game if it were good. My point is I no longer care about the universe. The coolest thing about ME were the reapers and now that you know what they truly are there's no going back.

It will depend on how BioWare handles the fall out of ME3 if i purchase another Day 1. I'm thinking a rental may be in order for BioWare games from now on.

NameIess

I agree, because the whole time I was playing Mass Effect 3 I was thinking about a next-gen version of the game that would be even more cinematic. I think any SciFi fan would get excited considering another game with even better production values and game play mechanics...

Also, I would agree the story can go in many different directions either before the events of this trilogy or even post.

Another pretty good summation of why the ending doesn't follow the series' precedents and how the ending fails at providing resolution that I thought hit some spot-on points.

http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

Honestly, I think like the Final Hours app said, they were toying with Indoc. theory, but ran out of time to make it work, hence why some of the more easily spottable 'hints' are still in there.
This is a really great read. Thanks for posting this. Lays out what's wrong with the ending from a writer's perspective.

I'd buy this prequel day 1:

tumblr_m14as1vRwt1rrkvreo1_500.jpg

I'm not getting DA3 (skipped DA2, have no interest in that franchise), and whatever new property Bioware pushes out I'll be watching it warily. No more day 1 purchases.

I will never buy a BW game that, Has a evil dark force that once wreaked shit up then vanished only to hint of a return or where the world/Universe is at risk.
When it comes to smaller stories BW do well, they just don't scale well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's a massive catch 22 and shows how poorly planned out this was. I can sympathise with their ultimate vision, in terms of franchise treatment. If you don't want to continue a franchise and yes, create a definitive 'end point' for the saga, it's nice to throw some fuel on the mystery pile to keep the long time fans speculating. That way anything that happens after can be in the realm of wonder and speculation, something big fans will ideally eat up.

Their big mistake was doing it with a franchise that is barely a franchise. There's only three mainline Mass Effect games, and all are part of the same trilogy arc. To make matters worse, this trilogy was supposed to have very specific resolution to multiple plot threads, many of those plot threads emphasising drawn out post-game consequences. They cut their franchise short too early, too quickly, when the franchise was arguably still growing, and did so in a means that chewed up and spat out the original plot threads that themselves fuelled speculation. They created new unprecedented and unfounded speculation for their legacy.

If ending the franchise this way was their intention, it would have been far more logical to end it in a way that still takes into account players' decisions. Would the Krogan florish under Wrex' rule, or would they conquer the galaxy? How long would the Krogan survive with Genophage remaining? With the Quarians and Geth united, would they be accepted into galactic society? If just the Geth, how would they respond? Will Thessia and Palaven be rebuilt? And so on.

They had already sewn the seeds for a future that could exist only in the minds of fans, best of all, in an imaginary state based on play style and decisions. Your future wouldn't be the same as mine, and though we'd never know, we could still speculate.

But nope. Let's disregard everything, shit on what we established, and throw out a bunch of new dumb mysteries for 'fans' to gobble up, with no intention of ever answering anything. What could possibly go wrong?

LiK

It's a massive catch 22 and shows how poorly planned out this was. I can sympathise with their ultimate vision, in terms of franchise treatment. If you don't want to continue a franchise and yes, create a definitive 'end point' for the saga, it's nice to throw some fuel on the mystery pile to keep the long time fans speculating. That way anything that happens after can be in the realm of wonder and speculation, something big fans will ideally eat up.

Their big mistake was doing it with a franchise that is barely a franchise. There's only three mainline Mass Effect games, and all are part of the same trilogy arc. To make matters worse, this trilogy was supposed to have very specific resolution to multiple plot threads, many of those plot threads emphasising drawn out post-game consequences. They cut their franchise short too early, too quickly, when the franchise was arguably still growing, and did so in a means that chewed up and spat out the original plot threads that themselves fuelled speculation. They created new unprecedented and unfounded speculation for their legacy.

If ending the franchise this way was their intention, it would have been far more logical to end it in a way that still takes into account players' decisions. Would the Krogan florish under Wrex' rule, or would they conquer the galaxy? How long would the Krogan survive with Genophage remaining? With the Quarians and Geth united, would they be accepted into galactic society? If just the Geth, how would they respond? Will Thessia and Palaven be rebuilt? And so on.

They had already sewn the seeds for a future that could exist only in the minds of fans, best of all, in an imaginary state based on play style and decisions. Your future wouldn't be the same as mine, and though we'd never know, we could still speculate.

But nope. Let's disregard everything, shit on what we established, and throw out a bunch of new dumb mysteries for 'fans' to gobble up, with no intention of ever answering anything. What could possibly go wrong?

Ray Muzyka am crying

Interfectum

Wow, yes, nailed it.

I mean when you start picking apart the ending and thinking about your decisions throughout the trilogy... what the hell was all of it for? Destroying the mass relays pretty much ends the galactic universe as we know it. We'll never know what decisions we made, if any, will ever have an impact on the universe.

I would've much, much rather had the ending be, like you said, up to us. Have friends debate over who's Mass Effect ending was the real one. Perhaps play though the entire trilogy again and again to craft the exact ending you want. All of that was thrown out the window in the last 20 minutes of the game. Absolute insanity.

And that is sad that most fan will readily eat up another mass effect.

Funny thing.

A co-worker from another office called me this morning. I knew from the get-go when i saw that is was him that the call was going to be related to the ending of ME3.

He shared the same sentiments that all of those that disliked the ending have. First time that i have seen him being so vocal about something.

I beat it last night and didn't think the ending was THAT bad after being so overhyped online. However, when I read the complaints and watched the top 10 things that were wrong with it I can see why everyone is upset. Pretty sloppy and too many potholes. Also, why the fuck can't we have a happy ending for once? It seems like every game series ends on a depressing note now a days. Oh and the final decision is a shameless ripoff of Deus Ex.

Interfectum

I beat it last night and didn't think the ending was THAT bad after being so overhyped online. However, when I read the complaints and watched the top 10 things that were wrong with it I can see why everyone is upset. Pretty sloppy and too many potholes. Also, why the fuck can't we have a happy ending for once? It seems like every game series ends on a depressing note now a days. Oh and the final decision is a shameless ripoff of Deus Ex.

Welcome to the party. I'll take your coat, drinks are in the back.

EatChildren

Wow, yes, nailed it.

I mean when you start picking apart the ending and thinking about your decisions throughout the trilogy... what the hell was all of it for? Destroying the mass relays pretty much ends the galactic universe as we know it. We'll never know what decisions we made, if any, will ever have an impact on the universe.

I would've much, much rather had the ending be, like you said, up to us. Have friends debate over who's Mass Effect ending was the real one. Perhaps play though the entire trilogy again and again to craft the exact ending you want. All of that was thrown out the window in the last 20 minutes of the game. Absolute insanity.

Exactly. You'd always have people (probably myself included, lol) barking about new Mass Effect games that continue the universe, but given the scope of your decisions it would be near impossible without creating a canon that conflicts with what a lot of people experienced. Are the Krogan flourishing, or are they on the verge of extinction? Do the Quarians or Geth exist at all?

So, why not end on a note made up of player decisions? Reapers dead, galaxy saved, Shepard dead or alive I don't give a shit. Ending montage of brief post-ME3 canon based on your decisions. Eg: Krogan.

- Genophage cured, Wrex alive. Game implies the revitalised Krogan are rediscovering their culture, and though not without reservations and concern, are slowly but surely finding a mutually agreeable place in galactic society.
- Genophage cured, Wreav alive. Game implies the revitalised Krogan are breeding quickly, and under Wreav's leadership are seeking conquest and glory. The galaxy is concerned about their behaviour, and poor diplomatic relations could be signs of another war.
- Genophage remains. Krogan struggle even moreso in a post-Reaper war galaxy, their numbers thinned out again, those alive returning to low pay merc work. Their future looks grim.

You can't really make a game based on those three outcomes, but all three allow us, the players, to sit back and think about how our decisions will play out in the game's universe centuries from now. We've got a basis for speculation, and it's built on decisions we made, not forced upon us by the writers.

It was right there!

I have a feeling that the outrage over ME 3's ending is the culmination of YEARS of getting shitty endings to big franchises (Matrix Revolutions, LOST, Pirates of the Caribbean, Halo, etc.) and unfortunately for Bioware their shitty ending was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

Hero

Exactly. You'd always have people (probably myself included, lol) barking about new Mass Effect games that continue the universe, but given the scope of your decisions it would be near impossible without creating a canon that conflicts with what a lot of people experienced. Are the Krogan flourishing, or are they on the verge of extinction? Do the Quarians or Geth exist at all?

So, why not end on a note made up of player decisions? Reapers dead, galaxy saved, Shepard dead or alive I don't give a shit. Ending montage of brief post-ME3 canon based on your decisions. Eg: Krogan.

- Genophage cured, Wrex alive. Game implies the revitalised Krogan are rediscovering their culture, and though not without reservations and concern, are slowly but surely finding a mutually agreeable place in galactic society.
- Genophage cured, Wreav alive. Game implies the revitalised Krogan are breeding quickly, and under Wreav's leadership are seeking conquest and glory. The galaxy is concerned about their behaviour, and poor diplomatic relations could be signs of another war.
- Genophage remains. Krogan struggle even moreso in a post-Reaper war galaxy, their numbers thinned out again, those alive returning to low pay merc work. Their future looks grim.

You can't really make a game based on those three outcomes, but all three allow us, the players, to sit back and think about how our decisions will play out in the game's universe centuries from now. We've got a basis for speculation, and it's built on decisions we made, not forced upon us by the writers.

It was right there!

Yup. Could've done the same thing for the Rachni, the Geth, etc etc.

Interfectum

It was right there!

Also think about how your decisions could alter other decisions. Because you saved the Geth the Krogan couldn't start another war under Wreav (for example). Hell even based on your decisions (good vs bad) and who you chose to sleep with your offspring could have influenced the cultures and universe as well.

So many possibilities.

Top Bottom