• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sure are gonna be a lot of disappointed indoctrination believers (and then some) when the DLC 'ending' changes nothing.

Sure are gonna be a lot of disappointed indoctrination believers (and then some) when the DLC 'ending' changes nothing.

I dunno. ME3 was written with lots of "feedback" from Bioware fans - what jokes they liked, what characters they wouldn't part with, etc. I can see Bioware using the Indoctrination theory as an easy out where they can point to it and claim they planned it all along.

Lothars

people are dissapointed either way, so if it's true or not I don't think will change dissapointment.

They are in a lose-lose situation either way.

Bowdz

I dunno. ME3 was written with lots of "feedback" from Bioware fans - what jokes they liked, what characters they wouldn't part with, etc. I can see Bioware using the Indoctrination theory as an easy out where they can point to it and claim they planned it all along.

I really hope they go with it, but the Dr's statement about "clarifying" the ending sounds more like expounding on the current ending.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

$20 says their 'game content initiatives' revolve entirely around taking the current premise and expanding on it with new dialogue options (eg: with the Catalyst) and perhaps an epilogue and/or extra scenes to clarify (the buzzword BioWare has been using) just what, exactly, is supposed to be happening. And yet despite all this, the extra reasoning and information, the ending by large remains exactly the same.

Your conjectures proved wrong the first time. We'll see if they will be correct the second time around.

The old ones told me if I'm wrong three times in a row my existence will be erased from time itself.

Rapstah

I really hope they go with it, but the Dr's statement about "clarifying" the ending sounds more like expounding on the current ending.

Making content takes ages: no way they could ever whip anything out from starting to finishing in less than two months. The only way they could release any indoctrination content before mid-summer would be if they already had it half-done by the time the game launched, and there's way too much speaking against that with how the writers have commented on everything.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
$20 says their 'game content initiatives' revolve entirely around taking the current premise and expanding on it with new dialogue options (eg: with the Catalyst) and perhaps an epilogue and/or extra scenes to clarify (the buzzword BioWare has been using) just what, exactly, is supposed to be happening. And yet despite all this, the extra reasoning and information, the ending by large remains exactly the same.

Don't forget "new sunny yellow" feel good option where Shepard lives and ice cream.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Indoctrination theory to the ending actually sounds good.
Saw the youtube video describing it and it would actually be cool if true.

Just means the series continues from here.

Hopefully Bioware has something interesting planned for the series, instead of trying to fix the ending if it is literal.

Does she join you in the missions where Tali is necessary too?

Yes. She replaces Tali in the upload scene after you destroy the Reaper, as well. Watching her blast Legion was pretty meh, but his nonsensical suicide was worse and I didn't feel like having another go at the equally nonsensical Reaper battle.

Moaradin

The thing I want the most is closure. I don't think the relays being destroyed is good for the series, but the worst part of the ending is lack of closure.

Lime

The old ones told me if I'm wrong three times in a row my existence will be erased from time itself.

No completely safe ban bets this time? ;)

Edit: but I agree. Their rhetorics seem to point towards sticking with Space God and Space Magic.

Rapstah

Yes. She replaces Tali in the upload scene after you destroy the Reaper, as well. Watching her blast Legion was pretty meh, but his nonsensical suicide was worse and I didn't feel like having another go at the equally nonsensical Reaper battle.

She's actually in your squad? Does that happen with any of the other optional deaths from ME2? The Garrus stand-in, I guess?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ending aside, no sir, I don't like this game.

The first game, and especially the second game, were highly polished. There were all sorts of little details in the second game, like using the Normandy's trash compacter to eject junk into space, being able to open/close the shutters on the observation deck, a more natural looking drinking animation, a larger and more lively Citadel to explore (in the first game), being able to listen to Zaeed's war stories, the puzzle mini-games when it came to unlocking/hacking stuff, and the general sense of exploration in the first game, that were missing from this game.

I get what you're saying but I would not list Zaeed's stories as a prime example of this. It basically amounts to 5 minutes of dialog completely detached from the rest of the game without any dialog wheel stuff engaging you more. Javik on the other hand in 3 was integrated better than a lot of the game's "actual" cast although having him as a DLC character at all is the thing that annoyed me most about EA's choices with ME3.

Vieo

At this point, since I've never played it, I'm going to buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, name my main character Shepard, and whatever SWKotORII's ending is, will be my Mass Effect III ending. It can't be any worse, right!?

DTKT

I think they should do nothing.

I don't think they can do anything to regain the goodwill they lost. So yeah, actually fix it or don't do anything to piss off everyone again.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
At this point, since I've never played it, I'm going to buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, name my main character Shepard, and whatever SWKotORII's ending is, will be my Mass Effect III ending. It can't be any worse, right!?

KOTOR 2's ending is just abrupt, not confusing (thankfully!)

Lime

My face is ready for the Indoctrination End.

But is your mind?

I can't be banned. You'd have to erase me.

I imagine this is what Space Kid will say when the Ending DLC finally arrives: "I can't be banned, Shepard. You'd have to erase Mass Effect 3." Mac Walters will think it's "so meta".

But seriously, like I mentioned in my edit, all the indications we have from the ME information we have been given, point towards Bioware sticking to the ending and only "clarify". So in that regard I think you're correct in presuming we'll at best get some extra lines of dialogue for Space Kid, as well as some clarification on what happened to the characters.

EatChildren

The clothes you wear will become half Australian.

Control the mods, giving freedom to post.
Destroy the mods, though also the gaming forum.
Merge the mods with regular users for harmonic synthesis.

Either way, all accounts are erased.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't think they can do anything to regain the goodwill they lost. So yeah, actually fix it or don't do anything to piss off everyone again.

They are in a position where doing nothing will also piss everyone off. Lucky them!

Eh, could go either way.

http://vatherland.deviantart.com/

It's fake sadly

Something like that if real would have been great. Just for the fact that it would confirm they already had the ending planned due to having more lines by Liara.

lmao

Bowdz

Making content takes ages: no way they could ever whip anything out from starting to finishing in less than two months. The only way they could release any indoctrination content before mid-summer would be if they already had it half-done by the time the game launched, and there's way too much speaking against that with how the writers have commented on everything.

I would personally be fine with Bioware going the expansion route and taking 6 months to a year to flesh out the ending with additional tweaks and missions throughout the game. I think most fans who like the indoctrination theory would be fine with waiting for more substantive content provided Bioware explicitly said what they are working on.

Rufus said:
geoffreyslap.gif

Turning the ending into a dream ending retroactively (how crazy is that?) would be even even worse than what we got.

Each to their own. I am entirely fine with Bioware full out retconning the ending and later part of the game with indoctrination but I can definitely understand where people hate the idea.

Lime

I can't imagine anyone would be pissed off by removing Space Kid. Everyone agrees upon that particular part of ME3 being shit.

If the ending "fix" is only a .bat file deleting the Space Elevator and forward bit, I think anybody would say that it's better than nothing/Space Kid.

DTKT

They are in a position where doing nothing will also piss everyone off. Lucky them!

We need a meter of "How pissed off are people".

But really, I don't think that they have the time nor the money to properly fix it. So we'll get a half-assed attempt to flesh out the 3 options.

Or we'll get stuff that has nothing to do with the ending. Like retake Omega!

joy.

inky

Don't worry, a couple of us will get stranded on the gamefaqs forums. I might even find true (synthetic) love over there.

EatChildren

Don't worry, a couple of us will get stranded on the gamefaqs forums. I might even find true (synthetic) love over there.

But what happens to my LI
love0015t3ao5.gif
?

MYeager

- If the Star Child was on the Citadel the whole time, what was the point of Sovereign?

Even without the Star Child there's not much of a point of Sovereign showing up and cloning Krogans or attacking in advance because it completely ruins the element of surprise from the Reapers and give the galaxy time to prepare a defense. The Citadel gateway is pointless because it apparently only saves them a little time, which shouldn't mean all that much to millenia-aged Reapers.

- Why did Harbringer fly off when clearly Sheppard was still alive and lurching towards the elevator?

What's the point of the elevator period? The Citadel is apparently a Catalyst, hidden Mass Effet relay AND Reaper proccessing center? What were they doing with all the bodies of all the alien races prior to that then? If the Illusive Man warned them about the Catalyst why move the thing their enemy needs right where the enemy needs it the most? Harbinger flying off is the least of the problems with that scene.

- The argument is that synthetics will inevitably rise and wipe out the organics. The solution: Develop synthetics to wipe out the organics. Why not just make the Reapers wipe out the synthetics?

Reapers are supposedly create by AI, so it's doubtful they'd make it to wipe out themselves. Nor do they wipe out organics, they just take out the technologically advanced ones.

- Why won't his "solution" not work anymore now that Shepard walked there. The Star child could just kill Shepard and everything would have been fine.

Proved that the solution wouldn't work because despite planning enough evidence gets left behind to help prepare the next species. Even if it kills Shepard, Shepard making it means that there's a flaw overall.

- Why did the organics over millions of years build the Crucible when they didn't even know that the catalyst was the Citadel. How could you even develop something like the Crucible without knowing that? The Citadel is the main part. It's like developing a brake without knowing was a car was.

The Protheans knew the Citadel was the Catalyst, the Prothean VI is the one who tells them about it. How the Protheans ran out of time despite being technically more advanced and having all this info is another question.

- We already know that when a Mass Relay is destroyed, it causes a supernova wiping out the entire solar system it's in. So when you see those waves cascading across the galaxy, hasn't this effectively killed off untold trillions of people across the galaxy?

We know that when you fly a meteor into a relay it causes a supernova. This appears more like it was discharging its energy.

- The entire theme in Mass Effect has been getting wildly different people to work together, and that diversity is awesome. The arguably best ending basically causes everyone to be exactly the same.

i'd argue that the theme was creation versus creator and vice versa. That they become one and the same thing in the end doesn't negate the individuals.

- Why did the Reapers even assess the Geth for purposes of reapearification if their goal was to absord all the intelligent organic life?
- Why would they record history's organic life in reaper form when a lot of them die trying to wipe out the galaxy every cycle?

Take the Catalyst out and there's a lot of it that would still not make sense because they wrote themselves into a corner.

Lime

Saw this earlier. It might be factually incorrect (Bioware have always wanted to go in this direction), but at least it reminds us of the death of Bullfrog, Maxis, Origin and Pandemic:

zFrTB.jpg

nel e nel

Just off the top of my head:

- Why is Joker running away with the Normandy through a Mass Relay Jump?
- How did your squadmates that were just with you running towards the elevator get onto the Normandy?
- If the Star Child was on the Citadel the whole time, what was the point of Sovereign?
- Why did Harbringer fly off when clearly Sheppard was still alive and lurching towards the elevator?
- The argument is that synthetics will inevitably rise and wipe out the organics. The solution: Develop synthetics to wipe out the organics. Why not just make the Reapers wipe out the synthetics?
- Why won't his "solution" not work anymore now that Shepard walked there. The Star child could just kill Shepard and everything would have been fine.
- Why did the organics over millions of years build the Crucible when they didn't even know that the catalyst was the Citadel. How could you even develop something like the Crucible without knowing that? The Citadel is the main part. It's like developing a brake without knowing was a car was.
- We already know that when a Mass Relay is destroyed, it causes a supernova wiping out the entire solar system it's in. So when you see those waves cascading across the galaxy, hasn't this effectively killed off untold trillions of people across the galaxy?
- The entire theme in Mass Effect has been getting wildly different people to work together, and that diversity is awesome. The arguably best ending basically causes everyone to be exactly the same.
- Why did the Reapers even assess the Geth for purposes of reapearification if their goal was to absord all the intelligent organic life?
- Why would they record history's organic life in reaper form when a lot of them die trying to wipe out the galaxy every cycle?

I'm just quoting Divvy as he summed up all the other points. Also, keep in mind that I'm not trying to dis anyone, this is all in fun for me as I enjoy the universe and talking about it.

- totally agree with the Normandy & crew scene, especially since the squadmate I took with me showed up in the end scene. Although, one could argue that Joker was back up in space during the final fight, and started to run when the Citadel opened up. But that's a bit of a stretch.

- Was the starchild ON the Citadel? In my 2 viewings, he said he WAS the Citadel. So if the Protheans altered the Keepers, would they not have also altered the Citadel and subsequently the starchild? Maybe the starchild race 'ascended' themselves into the Citadel after creating the Reapers and then sat back and took a passive role throughout the cycles?

- good question, why did Harbinger fly off?

- Just to nitpick: Reapers are not pure synthetics, they are created from organics, so they are a hybrid (intermediate step in the evolution that the Starchild talks about?) Another good question re: why not just destroy synthetics? Well, what good will that do if it's inevitable that synthetics will be re-created again anyways? The cycle has been going on for at least 37 million years (740 cycles), and presumably organics have created synthetics that brought them to the verge of total annihilation every time.

- Shepard was the first organic to reach the inner sanctum of the Citadel. Ever. In 37 million years. Once the cycle was 'broken' a new contingency had to be accounted for.

- People make alot of things that they don't know what the full repercussions are. Take a look at nuclear weapons in our own history. If we are also to believe that organic evolution was 'guided' somehow by Reaper/Starchild technology, maybe it was inevitable that organics would eventually construct a Crucible-like countermeasure. Remember, organic = chaos, and that's hard to predict.

- Yeah, the relay destruction is tricky, the only thing I came up with is that the only relay destroyed to date was by a ginormous asteroid colliding with it. Perhaps the Crucible induced deactivation is less destructive, and only affects the lifeforms that you chose to save/destroy?

- Well, I dunno if the theme of the entire series is about 'United Colors of Benetton'. I saw it more about order vs. chaos, creator vs. creation. And are they all 'the same' now? They are all similar being that they are fused with synthetics, but does that mean Turians can eat human food now? Will Volus no longer need pressure suits? Will I finally be able to pro-create with a Hanar?

- I never got the impression that the Geth were ever assessed to be 'ascended' by the Reapers. I only saw they were being used as tools by them. Keep in mind that Nazara (aka Sovereign) came to them and offered them technology to further their own goals, and that caused the schism.

- not sure I understand that last question. They were pretty far along creating a human Reaper at the end of ME2, so at that point, who cares how many more of them die? They were making husks, cannibals, ravagers, brutes, banshees and marauders too. Maybe instead of making multiple Reapers from a wide variety of lifeforms, they make multiple Reapers from the dominant one.

Has anyone touched on the obvious Lovecraftian influences on ME? I had read a bunch of his works, but never made the connection until recently. His whole philosophy was that humans are totally inconsequential in the cosmos, and that the workings of the universe are unfathomable to us. Also, a race of super beings from outer space that come every now and then to wreak havoc on us sounds a bit familiar no?\

So maybe I made some salient points, maybe I didn't. And I'm not outright dismissing all the points that you made either. The indoctrination theory definitely holds water in my book, I'm just not entirely convinced it's THE answer.

Regardless, as I said, it's all in fun for me to discuss these things. I read the ME wiki alot too, so I'm probably picking up some details that aren't in the game. If there's something I'm missing - and there probably is, because there is so much stuff in the ME universe - let me know.

DTKT

It hurts because it's true.

Bioware is just a shell of what it once was. It's a name that will be used with franchises that are bound to be B-tier games.

Top Bottom