• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

My response to the poll. This is all on the first playthrough

• What color did you pick? Green
  • How do you feel about the ending? Thought it was fucking awful. Quite possibly the worst ending to a game, book, TV series or movie I've ever experienced in light of the buildup
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. I do not think Bioware is capable of pulling that off
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Depends
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Nah, YouTube if it's not free
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3
[/QUOTE]

def sim

Geth, Quarian, and Krogan probably came in almost their entirety. Krogan probably have a bunch of pregnant women back home, and Geth/Quarian just have whoever they left back on Rannoch to work on reconstruction.

Why would Quarian civilians come to fight? Not everyone in the weapon rigged liveships have to come for it to be operational, and considering their species isn't known to have a strong military focus like the Turians, I'm willing to bet the majority of their people stayed back in Rannoch. Having civilians with them for the final push at Earth would be silly.

I'm sure what you say applies to the Krogan and Geth just fine though seeing that the former's breeding rate and the latter's... uh... robotness will allow them to fight without damaging their total population.

Turian's entire military would be there, dooming whoever they couldn't evacuate off of Palavan.

The Turians probably took the largest hit in this conflict, yeah, though I'm sure the survivors in Palaven are better off than those stuck in Sol.

Well at the Cerberus base someone (i think EDI) says that he went to the Citadel and alerted the Reapers. So presumably he was there all that time.

But everyone on the citadel looks dead. I guess he was indoctrinated.

Another question: Was TIM indoctrinated in the second game? Did he get progressively indoctrinated throughout the game story, and if so, how? (no proximity to reaper unlike Saren)? Through his initial contact with a reaper device?

I really wish they had done something differently with him. I think I could force myself to stomach the destroy ending, but I just don't get what they were trying to do with TIM. Three games to set up cerberus, but in the end it amounts to nothing.

And, Kai Leng (the character) was worse than anything else in the ME series, including the endings.

Completed Mass Effect 3 just a few minutes ago. I chose to synthesize. I don't like admitting it, but the ending of the game got me really sad. Overall I'm satisfied with the ending. It's the thought of not beeing able to interact with the legacy and character you've created throughout ME1 that makes me dislike the ending. But hey, everything must come to an end.

So guys, what are your thoughts on the indoctrination theory? What I don't understand though is my EMS. I completed every sidequest and depleted every planet in the galaxy, but my EMS is still around 3500. You need at least 5000EMS to view the "perfect/secret" ending. How the hell do I get that much EMS?

ultron87

Does anything change with all the Cerberus stuff if you destroyed the Collector base? Or do they just not mention that they got some tech from the base?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anything change with all the Cerberus stuff if you destroyed the Collector base? Or do they just not mention that they got some tech from the base?

They seem to have salvaged crap from it regardless if you destroyed it or not.

Can't get why people keep saying ME2's "clearly the best". People were pretty hard on it when it came out and it has a shitton of problems. I think people just like to complain about what they are playing then and then praising it later. ME2 had a LOT of crappy things throughout and if you remove all the DLC, there's really not much to it.

Rapstah

The same dialogue mostly, the war asset you get from the human Reaper is the heart instead of whatever Renegades get.

I doubt the entire population of each species came to fight.

All the Quarians.

Most alien homeworlds (read- about 90% of the galactic populations are still on the home planets) are not self sufficient without colony support. Most colonies (other than those built to support homeworlds) are also not self sufficient.

So, yeah, basically everyone dies.

Completed Mass Effect 3 just a few minutes ago. I chose to synthesize. I don't like admitting it, but the ending of the game got me really sad. Overall I'm satisfied with the ending. It's the thought of not beeing able to interact with the legacy and character you've created throughout ME1 that makes me dislike the ending. But hey, everything must come to an end.

So guys, what are your thoughts on the indoctrination theory? What I don't understand though is my EMS. I completed every sidequest and depleted every planet in the galaxy, but my EMS is still around 3500. You need at least 5000EMS to view the "perfect/secret" ending. How the hell do I get that much EMS?

Multiplayer

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All the Quarians.

Most alien homeworlds (read- about 90% of the galactic populations are still on the home planets) are not self sufficient without colony support. Most colonies (other than those built to support homeworlds) are also not self sufficient.

Really, all the Quarians? They wouldnt leave the young and elderly on the homeworld they just got?

Clott

That piano song they have going through the end is really sad.

then I think of the ending and I get even more so. I chose green and was hoping to get some closure out of the whole premise. I wish you got a chance to see all the assets you had gathered in action.

All the Quarians.

The entire Migrant Fleet goes. The turians are a military meritocracy, so a lot of them would be on Earth; the Primarch is even on Earth at the end. The krogan love to fight and want to fight the best enemy, so most of them would be on Earth. Thessia fell, but I doubt that all Asari would go. Same for the Salarians. So yeah, pretty much everyone.

This just means that the hanar, elcor, and the volus get to rule the galaxy this time.

The entire Migrant Fleet goes. The turians are a military meritocracy, so a lot of them would be on Earth; the Primarch is even on Earth at the end. The krogan love to fight and want to fight the best enemy, so most of them would be on Earth. Thessia fell, but I doubt that all Asari would go. Same for the Salarians. So yeah, pretty much everyone.

This just means that the hanar, elcor, and the volus get to rule the galaxy this time.

The next trilogy is going to be amazing, then.

def sim

All the Quarians.

Difference here being that I see this as a franchise they're willing to keep. I'm sure if you take the world and all the information in it way too seriously, everyone died. But no, in a post Mass Effect 3 world (I really wanted to say this in a sentence) anything is possible. Joker crashed on an unknown planet and repopulated just fine. It's silly to take the relay destruction as anything more than a galactic dark age era for the next trilogy; whenever that is.

That piano song they have going through the end is really sad.

It really is. It has come to the point where I find anyone who thinks a poorly done, plot twist ending acceptable tricked by it.

Vamphuntr

Here's the link. It's not updated completely. If anyone wants to help update and reorganize it, please PM me your gmail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnCWct1HuRdkdE9yTHRwUE1ROXpXQURYbkg5Uk5XMWc

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B? Green Space Magic. Had to make Joker Happy
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Hate it
    Non sensical, goes against some plot points of the first game, plot holes, choices had no impact on the endings, all endings are the same
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No Dear God, No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N No but I would get it for free
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N?Yes I played all three
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1, 2 ,3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?1 by far

Clott

I seriously don't get why you weren't able to have a Krogan in your party this game, why were people clamoring for Tali and not wrex? Tali is a terrible character.

Roronoa95

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Green
  • How do you feel about the ending? HATE, Worst feeling ever... Imagine Da Vinci almost completing the Mona Lisa and he suddenly splits in her face.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Not sure...
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? I would wait reviews. I've the feeling that the damage has been done and it can't be fixed.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? First Mass Effect.

Omega

Banned
Can't get why people keep saying ME2's "clearly the best". People were pretty hard on it when it came out and it has a shitton of problems. I think people just like to complain about what they are playing then and then praising it later. ME2 had a LOT of crappy things throughout and if you remove all the DLC, there's really not much to it.

ME2 was absolute garbage. That game was worse than the ME3 ending.

I seriously don't get why you weren't able to have a Krogan in your party this game, why were people clamoring for Tali and not wrex? Tali is a terrible character.

It would have made sense for Grunt to join back up, especially in the scenario where all his squad end up dead.

Wrex is too involved in the krogan storyline to make sense as a squadmate.

Omega

Banned
What color did you pick? Red
How do you feel about the ending? Hate
Makes everything you did throughout the trilogy irrelevant. I could go on but I would have to type a 5 page essay on why this ending is so bad I don't even want to play video games anymore
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No. ME is dead.
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No
Have you played previous ME games? Yes
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
Favorite game in the trilogy? 1

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Tali and Garrus are arguably the two most popular characters in the saga.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Umm yes and Wrex being in your party kinda wouldnt work.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tali is basically nerdbait

Yep. She's the virginal exotic space muslim, and the nerds love her.

Garrus is the bad boy / lovable rogue. Guys want to be him, and girls want to be with him.

Seriously. Fangirls love Garrus.

Garrus is the bad boy / lovable rogue. Guys want to be him, and girls want to be with him.

Too bad he's in love with calibrations.

I have to admit, Garrus is a pretty cool guy.

90sRobots

Garrus is the sexless loner. He's the main character in a Christopher Nolan movie.

It's kind of why the Garrus/Tali relationship works without it being too DeviantArt.

ME3 GAF Poll
What color did you pick? R/G/B? Red
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Dislike
Please describe why you feel this way. No closure. Plot Holes. Characters suddenly doing things out of character. Bad/lazy/rushed writing in general.
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No No
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? Can't say until I know what it is.
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N No.
Have you played previous ME games? Y/N? Yes
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1, 2 ,3
Favorite game in the trilogy? 2

def sim

I went for Tali because I wanted to know what Quarians looked like. I don't think I'm alone in not over thinking the shallow, videogame romances!

You've said this before. What about her is 'space muslim?' She's wearing a 'space burqa?'

I was honestly astonished when I discovered the nerd-love for Tali leading into ME2. On another forum, someone posted how she had "childbearing hips," which I promptly tagged the thread with. I thought that was pretty wahjah. Then I saw the Tali sweat thing.

I liked Tali, but in a Lucca, kid-sister sort of way. I never thought of her as a LI because
1. She has chicken legs. Literally. I don't want to see what's between them.
2. She has space AIDs.

EliCash

For all of you choosing RED, how did you go about resolving your Geth/Quarian stuff?

Did it bother you at all to know you would be killing off the Geth entirely?

I had saved the Geth and united them with the Quarians, and was all for their freedom throughout 2 and 3. My Shepard was hell bent on destroying the Reapers though, and given how fucked up he was at the end the only option was their destruction, at that stage previous decisions didn't matter. And I actually quite liked that, the odds of everything going in his favour and every sacrifice having positive consequences are slim and that's why I liked the destruction/RED ending more than the others. The utter hopelessness of walking towards the power cell firing the pistol and effectively plunging the galaxy into a dark age is actually a pretty cool ending. It's defeating the Reapers but at such a cost that it doesn't seem like a victory, and I think that would have been a pretty bold "good" ending if Bioware committed themselves to following through on that idea (as just one of many endings obviously) and married it with bitter-sweet images of your squad / fleet and previous decisions.They may have attempted the whole bittersweet thing, but they didn't try very hard. The destruction ending is almost decent if you present your own reading of it and pretend that by ignoring things Bioware were implying things or leaving things up to the player - when really they just lost sight and focus in my opinion.

The endings really needed, and we probably deserved, a more personal touch. Even text over images and music with all the variables from 1,2 and 3 collected (which the game does actually keep track of remember) would have been acceptable (in addition to the cut scenes), that way they could have an innumerable amount of endings and explanations of some consequences. I just didn't feel like my Shepard and the Galaxy he united got an ending, I have to almost rewrite it myself in my head, which is a shame because that was something I know the developers wanted to deliver.

I did write a whole wall of text here ranting about what could've and should've been but I was just repeating what's been said here and elsewhere countless times before.

Great game though, shouldn't forget that.

Hartt951

I wouldn't say it's clearly the best... it's really hard to choose the better between ME1 and ME2, but ME2 was not garbage at all. Better graphics and gameplay than the first. Much more detailed. Great story. All the characters returned, awesome ending, huge focus on the characters and your relationships with them(this is my personal favorite part of the Mass effect series). ME2 was brilliant.

Zomba13

The best ME would have the character variety, depth and quantity of 2, gameplay of 3 and exploration and dialouge stuff of 1.

senador

Banned
Me too!

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
      • Plotholes, inconsistencies, choices don't matter, totally unsatisfying. Has nothing to do with sad or bleak for me.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
    • I was a believe or hoper, but I don't believe it was intentional now. I would be OK with them choosing it though and expanding on the idea as I feel there is enough stuff to support it.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?
    • 2 is still my favorite right now, but I do enjoy them all.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
For all of you choosing RED, how did you go about resolving your Geth/Quarian stuff?

Did it bother you at all to know you would be killing off the Geth entirely?

Well I chose that option even though I spent the entire game playing Paragon because the blue option sounded amazingly stupid. I had JUST spent ten minutes berating the Illusive Man about how you can't control the Reapers, and now one of my options is to control the reapers? Da fuk?

Also the synthesis options sounded pretty stupid.

ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? R/G/B? Green. Although, I didn't deliberately choose the synthesis ending. I didn't expect a cutscene to trigger automatically when I walked toward the beam.
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Hate.
  • Please describe why you feel this way. The Catalyst's logic is completely at odds with Shepard's past experiences with synthetics. And the decision between a set of unfavorable choices offered by a character introduced in the last few minutes of the game feels contrived and out of place.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No? Yes. Maybe an indoctrination plot was scrapped during the game's development, but there are some pretty eerie sections of the game (boy that only Shepard sees, "oily shadows" in dreams, similar whispers during recurring dreams and the scene where TIM controls Shepard and Anderson in the Citadel, etc) that seem to hint at indoctrination being plausible. I don't necessarily think it's the intended meaning of the ending, and the current ending would be incomplete if it were true, but I do think it's a sensible interpretation.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? Yes, depending on whether or not the ending is fixed. And "clarification" won't suffice. Everything that follows the scene with TIM, Shepard, and Anderson needs to be completely rewritten. Holokid and his space magic concept needs to be abandoned. In that case, I would consider buying DLC. But even then, I wouldn't purchase cosmetic crap like alternate costumes and weapon packs. I would, however, buy an add-on that includes a sizable quest hub.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N? Again, this depends entirely on how it's packaged. But I wouldn't choose not to buy ending DLC on principle alone.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3? 1-2-3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1. The sequels feel much too narrowly focused on combat to me.

mxgt

Banned
ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Blue
  • How do you feel about the ending? Hate
    Made no sense, Shepard didn't even try to oppose the choices, that fucking kid, my squad mates suddenly appearing on the normandy, nothing I did in the games made a difference, didn't see any of the races really appearing in the climax of the game. etc, etc etc
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, and I think anyone who does believe it is thoroughly in denial and/or insane
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Hell no
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1. Would have been 3 if not for the ending.

I'm honestly pretty shocked that there are so many people that would throw money at Bioware for shitting out a revised ending

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I wouldn't say it's clearly the best... it's really hard to choose the better between ME1 and ME2, but ME2 was not garbage at all. Better graphics and gameplay than the first. Much more detailed. Great story. All the characters returned, awesome ending, huge focus on the characters and your relationships with them(this is my personal favorite part of the Mass effect series). ME2 was brilliant.

Yeah, but that came at the expense of all of the sense of newness and exploration of ME1.

I'm not saying that the mako was flawless, it clearly wasn't, but actually going to uncharted worlds and exploring them, rolling over terrain to uncover slaver/cerberus bases is prob one of my favorite moments of gaming this gen.

It was repetitive because they put too much landscape without enough content, but it had you going out into this massive universe to explore the unknown.

And then ME2 cut it out altogether. The Hammerhead was (IMO), shit. I suppose it was fun to drive, but died faster than a fly getting swatted.

EliCash

Well I chose that option even though I spent the entire game playing Paragon because the blue option sounded amazingly stupid. I had JUST spent ten minutes berating the Illusive Man about how you can't control the Reapers, and now one of my options is to control the reapers? Da fuk?

Also the synthesis options sounded pretty stupid.

Well, I didn't see RED as renegade. It was the only ending that made sense in my opinion. And you're right, the synthesis ending goes against absolutely everything Mass Effect was about for me. It's a pretty cool option I suppose, but not for my Shep.

Top Bottom