• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

• What color did you pick? R
  • How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
  • Please describe why you feel this way.
    Lack of character closure, inconsistencies & plot holes, lack of variety in end cinematic
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Hard to say. I love many aspects of them all. I guess ME2 for having a strong beginning and end, and introducing some great characters.

EliCash

I just finished it, after 40 hours or so. Went in completely dark, all I knew is that there was a lot of hate for the ending.

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral(Indifferent)
    The 10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3 video is a pretty good summary, and all the reasons mentioned by countless other people. Hate is a strong word though, dislike might be too. As someone said above me the building blocks were there, it's just disappointing that they couldn't completely deliver, both for fans and the developers who put so much love into the series. I wanted to see the consequences for all the races I brought together, there should have been more shots of different races attacking Reapers, a quick montage of all your assets / squadmates. Your final 2 squadmates should have been on Earth, Liara stepping off the Normandy on another planet was a huge fuck you given that she was on Earth moments before making the final assault with me and Garrus.. They really should have made your squadmates/love interest at least remain on Earth with a shot of them looking up at the Citadel / Crucible. I did quite like the destruction ending apart from a few minor plot holes, but the Mass Relays getting destroyed in every ending is quite stupid. I did like the way it all looked though. And I actually really liked the after credits sequence, if only it made more sense and was in line with what happened before ie, millions of alien races stranded over Earth. I just wish they gave different experiences and consequences for different players. The similar endings is just the antithesis of everything the series stood for. I did like the design of everything though as I say, overlooking the Earth from the Citadel etc. and I think the hate Bioware are getting is too much. There's some good in the endings, but it really did need a lot more careful consideration.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No Not familiar with the theory but doesn't make sense to me.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N But I don't think they should do it.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1/2

Edit: Watched all the videos in the OP, trying to catch up on the ending backfire. Could someone point me in the right direction for Bioware's response to all this?

Also, what the hell where they thinking with the email from Kai Leng? He actually signed the email KL.

• ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? B
  • How do you feel about the ending? It was pretty good
    - I got a sense of closure. Shepard died, the crew of the Normandy (most importantly Garrus) got away and the reapers bailed. So you know, that's good.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? How the hell would I know?
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? N
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME2
    - I still think 1 has its strong points, but it gets super tedious and omni-gel is dumb. ME2 had Zaeed and Khal'Reegar, so it wins hands down.

I just finished it, after 40 hours or so. Went in completely dark, all I knew is that there was a lot of hate for the ending.

Edit: Watched all the videos in the OP, trying to catch up on the ending backfire. Could someone point me in the right direction for Bioware's response to all this?

Also, what the hell where they thinking with the email from Kai Leng? He actually signed the email KL.

The most "formal" response has been the co-founder's message to fans. Granted, it says almost nothing, aside from the fact that they're now trying to prepare some "clarification" initiatives instead of just selling us Tack Omega Back DLC.

EliCash

The most "formal" response has been the co-founder's message to fans. Granted, it says almost nothing, aside from the fact that they're now trying to prepare some "clarification" initiatives instead of just selling us Tack Omega Back DLC.

Cool, thanks. That does indeed say nothing. Take Omega Back DLC would be cool, I was annoyed that there was no shot of Aria and the mercs when the victory fleet were attacking.

Dysun

• What color did you pick? Red
  • How do you feel about the ending? Hate
    Plot holes and inconsistencies galore, Space kid/Space Magic/Normandy/Mass Relays
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3, until the last 10 minutes

Seijuro

• How do you feel about the ending? Neutral
    Please describe why you feel this way: Could've been better, but could have been a lot worse. the whole "ending controversy" is blown way, way out of proportion and too many people jumping on the hate-bandwagon just because it's there. It leaves enough open to interpretation to stay with you for a while, that's a plus.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No, story's through for me.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No.
  • Have you played previous ME games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? probably 3

I do consider the third game to be the ending of a big story arc, not just the last 5 minutes. (but I wasn't raging about the last episode of Lost either, and I did care about the series very much. So maybe I like this kind of endings ;) )

Kind of weak compared to the first one.

his description of TIM is pretty accurate. He's pretty much Dr.Claw in ME3.

poll time:

• What color did you pick? GREEN DRAZI
  • How do you feel about the ending? severly disappointed
    Please describe why you feel this way: I believe that stories in videogames are usually acceptable for the need they fill in. Right up till the floating platform, I could accept all the illogical retconned crap ME3 pulls, like the Crucible. Game stories are usually just an excuse, not the main focus. ME3 is no different, but has a presentation that makes it all acceptable, as long as you stop yourself from thinking about it. Then the floating platform happens, and Bioware goes all "we're artists" and... well, a giant fucking spider walks into the screen, basically. What remains as a result is an extremely mediocre game, series, and ultimately franchise or even Bioware as a studio. Which could have been avoided entirely by just cutting the floating platform stuff. Why did nobody see that this needed to be cut?
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. But at this point, it's the only way out for Bioware. So they might as well say: "we didn't plan it, but by popular demand, we have changed the ending". It's going to be really important for Bioware to be honest about that,as nothing else is going to make this issue go away
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Hell no
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? NO, but I will accept DLC that includes a revised ending.
  • Have you played previous ME games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1, when Sovereign was still alien

Kind of weak compared to the first one.

Other than a few points it's aimless and nitpicky about the most irrelevant stuff. He wants a formula for how much EMS it takes to kill a Reaper? The reporter should work like the PIs in Suikoden games? These are pointless things to harp on. The first video was solid, but this one is a waste of time.

Haunted

What is everyone taking the poll for?

I would have paid for an ending dlc like a week or so after beating it, but now . . . Witcher 2 EE is almost here, Diablo III following close, Dragon's Dogma on its heels after that. Meanwhile there may or may not be a PC edition of Dark Souls. Also, Alpha Protocol sits invitingly on my backlog.

I've moved on. Fuck Bioware.
To be honest, the Mass Effect criticism has dominated the headlines for as long as it has due to the empty release calendar. I expect this thing to die down quickly once more people move on to the next big releases.

re: DLC - this has been my problem with bite-sized DLC for a long time now. To get me back into a game world and get me invested again it has to be really substantial. Like, full expansion pack level. I guess I've been conditioned by these expansion packs in the 90s. That's what it takes to get me back into a game after I've moved on. All the ME post-release DLC I didn't buy because I don't care for small 1-2 hour snippets. Actually, I don't think I've bought any post-release DLC for story-based games this generation, exceptions (and those fitting within the expansion pack/substantial content precedent) being the GTAIV episodes on one disc and Oblivion's Shivering Isles.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    I like bittersweet endings so the concept wasn't that bad, but, it feels rushed unsatisfying and creates many plotholes plus it renders all choices made in the previous games futile by presenting you an A, B or C scenario. Most important thought is the utterly and complete lack of any kind of closure for characters we've spent over 100 hours with.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Without the ending I'd say ME3, actually ME1.
That's it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but that only happens once, and that is in the mission you get from Admiral Kohaku when you're investigating Cerberus. The representative says "Kohaku got some information in agreement that he would report anything he found to us"

You guys are right. I talked with a friend about it yesterday and he told me that in ME2 it's Cerberus who pays and we think it's the alliance who pays in ME3.

Syril

ME3 GAF Poll

It didn't ruin the game for me, and I think it would make an interesting jumping off point for a new story, but I also found it deeply unsatisfying.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No. It would be a convenient retcon if they used it, but I can't believe that they set it up from the beginning.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Tie between ME1 and 99% of ME3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
re: DLC - this has been my problem with bite-sized DLC for a long time now. To get me back into a game world and get me invested again it has to be really substantial. Like, full expansion pack level. I guess I've been conditioned by these expansion packs in the 90s. That's what it takes to get me back into a game after I've moved on. All the ME post-release DLC I didn't buy because I don't care for small 1-2 hour snippets. Actually, I don't think I've bought any post-release DLC for story-based games this generation, exceptions (and those fitting within the expansion pack/substantial content precedent) being the GTAIV episodes on one disc and Oblivion's Shivering Isles.

I miss expansion packs too. They're the most consumer satisfying way to extend a product's life. Lots of content and features versus several small packages.

That being said, Overlord, Shadow Broker and Bring Down the Sky were all worth the price of admission, for me. I'd probably class them as overpriced in the long run, but all three delivered. I loved Kasumi's Stolen Memory, but the value was a lot lower.

Arrival and Pinnacle Station are the only two paid-for Mass Effect DLCs that really dropped the ball. Coincidentally, both were not made by separate teams.

ME3 GAF Poll

Deus Ex Mchina comes out of no where and dumps a bunch of gibberish on me. My choices mean nothing, pick a colour.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y beacause I am a filthy bitch
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y again, filthy bitch
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1

My answers.

MechaX

Saw a bit of the impressions of Adam Sessler's ME3 podcast. It just baffles me that there is just this sharp divide between most of the gaming journalist and the fans. It's like most are just vehemently refusing to do anything but latch on to the "Entitled gaming audience!!" argument like it actually characterizes the underlying problems people are finding with the ending. Is this happening simply because there is a pretty defined barrier of investment in games as opposed to the normal gaming audience? Do they not want to heavily criticize Bioware because of the journalist/developer relationship?

But anyway, here are my answers to the poll.

ME3 GAF Poll

- Green
    - Hate
    - This is not a scenario of an ending meant to be obtuse for the artistic sake of it; my problem with the ending is that it is just fundamentally badly written. Objectively, there is little merit in a set-piece in any kind of fiction where characters start acting wildly out of character, make decisions that directly contradict the lore established in that game alone, let alone the predecessors, and which goes against the very founding principles of choice and self-determination both in the confines of the game's story and the principle of the game being that of role-playing. If fanfiction writers can create stories with more logic-cohesiveness and better attention to detail to the overall universe, I don't see why this ending should somehow be immune to the criticism I think it rightfully deserves.
    - No
    - Y (although, it really depends on how substantial the DLC is)
    - Y
    - Y
    - 1, 2, and then 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?
    - I would probably say that ME1 is my favorite, despite how its combat system is completely unrefined compared to ME2 and ME3. ME1 felt like it was actually trying to establish a universe of sorts as opposed to just sticking Shepard in various spectacles (I will admit that this approach did work in its favor in ME3). Moreover, it succeeded in delivering rather functional antagonists to also help drive the story, which is something ME2 and ME3 intensely struggled with.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? At first I felt that it was okay, that the option I chose was the bad ending, but no I went and looked at the good endings and they're exactly the same! Terrible!
    • Please describe why you feel this way. The ending takes complete control of the situation away from Shepard. This is one of the worst things you can do in storytelling to a protagonist. There is nothing interesting about a hero who is just along for the ride
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, it might make sense if just look at what's in the game. But if you look at reality, it would such an insane and non-nonsensical thing to do.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yeah probably
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yeah...
  • In what order have you played the games? 1-2-3. Played through the first two many times.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1, then it was kind of downhill from there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ME3 GAF Poll
•What color did you pick? Green then Red
•How do you feel about the ending? Hate it
•Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No.
•In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No.
•Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Maybe
•Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
•In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
•Favorite game in the trilogy: 2

ME3 GAF Poll

Although I tabbed out when it was clear it'd made its final save so I could see the other endings, so I have save folders for all three.
    Why did Sovereign have to fuck around with Saren and the geth if the Citadel AI was there all along? What was Harby doing in ME2 and why was he building a new Reaper? Why did Sovereign claim to be incomprehensible? (although I guess it was just embarrassed at the stupid reason for reaping) Plus it's just badly written hand-wavy woo-woo bullshit written by someone trying to look like a better writer than they actually are.
    If they fix the ending. Otherwise, what's the point? "Yay, DLC character, I saved your life/son/dinner, go enjoy life for the next six days and then perish in a relay explosion!"
    I hate myself.
    Just finished playing ME1 again.
    It'd be ME3 if it weren't for the beginning and the end.

Pie Lord

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Dislike it.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Toss up between ME2 and ME3.

Jaffaboy

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Red, with bonus 2 second ending clip
  • How do you feel about the ending? Somewhat disappointed because there is absolutely no closure, but depends on the DLC and validation of the Indoc Theory for me. Still not happy that the game will end properly with DLC and not on the actual disc.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? I feel it's quite compelling, but possibly farfetched. I hope it is true though, because I think it's pretty cool and there's nothing else I've seen about the end that I actually like that could be possible (just complete nonsense, crap writing is really the alternative).
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Depends what it is. If the game goes the direction of the supposed leak on Reddit then probably not, because that sounds like utter shit.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Probably. Depends what it is and how much it is.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1 purely on how innovative it was at the time, and the atmosphere was amazing and completely immersive, more than the other games.

This game is so fantastic. About to finish my insanity run. After.this I want to go back and play me2 again.

Instead of worrying about the last 5 mins, I think its better to focus on the previous 30 hours which were amazing. So many fantastic missions with really big choices to be made..

This game is so fantastic. About to finish my insanity run. After.this I want to go back and play me2 again.

Instead of worrying about the last 5 mins, I think its better to focus on the previous 30 hours which were amazing. So many fantastic missions with really big choices to be made..
I got so sick of shooting shit, since they fucked up the sense of peril they should have at least paced their game better.

• What color did you pick? Blue
  • How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
    The ending is just further proof that the entire game was rushed out the door. Bioware doesn't respect it's customers.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Never
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Never
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1

Here's the link. It's not updated completely. If anyone wants to help update and reorganize it, please PM me your gmail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnCWct1HuRdkdE9yTHRwUE1ROXpXQURYbkg5Uk5XMWc

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? HATE
  • Please describe why you feel this way. Wow... let's see... Shepard accepts a sudden horrible explanation without question. Aftermath is unclear and overly magical. Feels like heroic efforts have led to a bleak outcome I barely affected.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes if it's good and is not the extra ending content.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Hell no. I'd find a way to see it though.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 2 by a mile

Theoris

Neo Member
After being told the ending to Mass Effect 3 was bad, I was prepared to talk with everyone about the fact that Earth got vaporized..

Only to find out I received the only 'bad' ending there is. Brillo!

Let me in

ME3 GAF Poll

I only found it lacking in information that would have properly closed the series. I didn't find it offensive. It didn't make me feel great, but I wasn't about to rush to the BioWare forums to spit vitriol.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 2 (I enjoyed the character-driven nature of the story).

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Neutral
    • Please describe why you feel this way. The whole game was a bit underwhelming compared to predecessors outside of combat, so ending fell in line with overall diminished enthusiasm.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? n/a [I'll let the writers explain themselves]
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y [maybe would be choice if given]
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? N [should be a free "recall" fix if any]
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 2

Some answers could vary (have seen two endings, always a coin flip between ME1 and 2 as favorite). But going with these at this time.

Astery

ME3 GAF Poll

I was like "hm, fair enough" when Shep collapses, then "wat" when my shep gets lifted to meet with the stupid kid, where it goes into a complete mess, then "da fark?" when I have to choose one of the ending options that none make any legit sense, and then to "RAAAGGGEE" after knowing all the 3 endings are basically the same shit with just 3 different colors.
    While I do not believe it in general, I do want to believe it just so to make the current ending not as shitty.
    It's a May be actually. It would depend on the ending "clarify" DLC. If it makes the ending acceptable and is free/ very cheap to buy then I might consider continue to buy some extra DLCs.
    Refer to above.
  • In what order have you played the games? 2,3,1,2,3
    Went back to buy ME1 and start playing from the beginning, wanting to fix things I couldn't fix in my first ME3 play through. Yea I just pretend the last 10 minutes of ME3 never happened. I've lost my first ME2 save so I've played ME3 wo importing a save the first time around.
    I can't really tell. ME1 has great ambitions and a nice story overall, but the controls and managing is bad, especially after playing ME3. ME2 has the best set pieces imo, with varieties of missions and the sacrifice mission really depends on your choices and doings, which I loved. However it is pretty linear in character skills development comparing to the other 2. ME3 has the best game play mechanic, but missions are much duller, quest log is next to useless, and dat ending.

edgefusion

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Blue, I didn't pick it though I just randomly selected.
  • How do you feel about the ending? I hate it. I didn't understand anything I was being told and had no idea what ending I had picked, even after watching it.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Not really, I don't really care about the theories.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? If it's a substantial piece of story-driven content then maybe. If it's character add-ons/outfits/guns then no way.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? I don't even know how this would work but there is no way in hell I would pay for it. Absolutely not.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes, I even double-dipped on ME2 (PS3 and PC)
  • In what order have you played the games? 1(PC), 2(PC+PS3), 3(PS3).
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME2, I like the open-endedness and focus on characters which is what ME has always done best in my opinion.

Answers above.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Hate
    Its a nonsensical deus ex machina that is completely riddled with plot holes and offers no satisfactory sense of closure, choice or consequence all the while offering up the most inane of cliffhangers at the end of a trilogy.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Hell no.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No- I might play it if it were free, but no way would I buy it.
  • In what order have you played the games? ME1 then ME2 then ME3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1- most ambitious game in the series albeit rough around the edges. But each subsequent game became less ambitious in terms of scope.

Fathead

ME3 GAF Poll

What color did you pick? Blue

How do you feel about the ending? I have to say I hate it, just because its so rambling and incoherent. Nothing makes any sense at all. ME3 feels like being sold a steak dinner, then the dessert is crap a la mode. I may have enjoyed the steak, but the lingering taste of crap is all I remember.

Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. No. No. NOOOOOO!

In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Probably not.

Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes.

Have you played previous ME games? Yes.

In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.

Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect is my favorite story, I love the suicide mission, and I loved ME3 up to the elevator to space ghost (I wish it had been SpaceGhost, then I would have at least laughed at the ending). Overall I have to say 1 because its flaws are not story flaws.

Let me in

It was more self contained character stories rather then a character-driven story.
Semantics? Okay, I enjoyed the multiple parables woven together to form the main scenario that is Mass Effect 2.

Most of the action in the game is driven by your need to interact with, foster relationships with and join together with the characters that feature principally in the story.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Indifferent.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yep.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yep.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Buy? No, it better be free.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME3. The combat is a lot better than I expected it to be.

WTH: Im so confused.

I chose the "control the Reapers" choice and Mass Relays are destroyed and Normandy crashed on some planet with Kaidan, Joker and Liara. Thats it?

So all these millions of alien races are now trapped in the Sol System?

WTH: Im so confused.

I chose the "control the Reapers" choice and Mass Relays are destroyed and Normandy crashed on some planet with Kaidan, Joker and Liara. Thats it?

So all these millions of alien races are now trapped in the Sol System?

Welcome to the support thread.

Hugs are $15

Top Bottom