• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

GSR

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Green
  • How do you feel about the ending? Too short, with neither enough buildup/explanation (I thought green would wipe out existing life in order to create the new life, not give Joker's hat wires) or aftermath
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Nope.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Undecided.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Buy, no. Play, yes.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Undecided - each game has its own strong and weak points.

Fathead

WTH: Im so confused.

I chose the "control the Reapers" choice and Mass Relays are destroyed and Normandy crashed on some planet with Kaidan, Joker and Liara. Thats it?

So all these millions of alien races are now trapped in the Sol System?

Welcome. Your confusion is natural. The 5 stages of grief will commence shortly.

• How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
  • Please describe why you feel this way.
    I feel like Bioware tried to do something clever instead of a big fat happy ending, and the theme they were going for was not completely uninteresting. However, it only related poorly to the series theme, was largely illogical /didn't fit in the universe's logic, and felt like a poor rehash of `weird metaphysical endings' (Deus Ex, Akira, EoE, etc..). And it had that fucking kid i couldn't care about. He was a whiny kid. I don't care a second he was blown up, bioware!
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? I don't really know what the theory is but I don't see indoctrination in there.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes :/
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes :/
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • In what order have you played the games? ME1 then ME2 then ME3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? I like them all, with ME3 being last for the ending (in spite of being superior to ME1 and 2 gameplay wise).

For all of you choosing RED, how did you go about resolving your Geth/Quarian stuff?

Did it bother you at all to know you would be killing off the Geth entirely?

Mass effect 2 was the most character-focused, so I liked that one the best. Mass Effect 1 had the Mako, so that was cool too. Mass Effect 3 was really good too, until it wasn't.

For all of you choosing RED, how did you go about resolving your Geth/Quarian stuff?

No, I couldn't care less about what happened to the universe at that point, combined with the fact I didn't remember fully what each choice entailed, and they never actually showed any Geth dying.

Ok, i finally finished the game. I am surprised i disliked the ending despite how incredibly low my expectations were.

Most people will laugh and just answer the ending didn't make any sense, but I still trying to understand one thing (which might be a brick in that cathedral of plot holes, but whatever): how the hell did TIM get in the citadel?

Ok, i finally finished the game. I am surprised i disliked the ending despite how incredibly low my expectations were.

Most people will laugh and just answer the ending didn't make any sense, but I still trying to understand one thing (which might be a brick in that cathedral of plot holes, but whatever): how the hell did TIM get in the citadel?

Don't try to understand. Just know that Marauder Shields died for your sins

sTeLioSco

Banned

when you do,post it here.....

Rapstah

Why does Anderson have a complete ability tree at the start of the game? He even has his own personal ability tree called "Alliance Admiral". Sign of future DLC? He doesn't get into your squad at any other time, right? In ME2 DLC, the Squad menu would just be disabled when they didn't want you to be checking those things for temporary characters.

Why does Anderson have a complete ability tree at the start of the game? He even has his own personal ability tree called "Alliance Admiral". Sign of future DLC? He doesn't get into your squad at any other time, right? In ME2 DLC, the Squad menu would just be disabled when they didn't want you to be checking those things for temporary characters.

I think he was supposed to be a squad member at one point, I think, and they just left it in there cuz it's Bioware.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Masaki_

A (space) wizard did it.

Private Jenkins also had a skill tree if I remember correctly, really weird that THAT is where Bioware chooses to go the extra mile.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I was also wondering about this.

I just hope the DLC comes out soon. I need more and I need plot holes filled ASAP.

GSR

Earlier in development they talked about having multiple characters that would only be in your squad for a few missions. My guess is that they originally planned to have Anderson be selectable for the final mission as well, but when the other temporary squadmembers got cut they just relegated him to standard Bioware introductory party member.

Rapstah

Really? I was under the impression that it was changed.

There's the Dark Energy plot that we know of from interviews, it leaked, but that was never realised and there was never a design proposition for the actual game in which it ended with it. The only leaked script I have personally read was quite early, said nothing about the ending and still had the Prothean squad member being the Catalyst. I think the reason for the confusion is that there were a lot leaks, and the information that was leaked isn't neccessarily compatible.

EDIT: Holy fucking unclear grammar, edited a little for this post to make sense.

rozay

Banned
Really? I was under the impression that it was changed.
They were the same, just with much less context and as the above poster said, we had no idea they would be red blue and green.
There's the Dark Energy plot that we have leaked, but that was never realised and there was never a design proposition for the actual game in which it ended with it. The only leaked script I have personally read was quite early, said nothing about the ending and still had the Prothean squad member being the Catalyst. I think the reason for the confusion is that there were a lot leaks, and the information that was leaked isn't neccessarily compatible.
There were 2 sets of leaks last year, and the endings were in the second one I believe.

Hartt951

WTH: Im so confused.

I chose the "control the Reapers" choice and Mass Relays are destroyed and Normandy crashed on some planet with Kaidan, Joker and Liara. Thats it?

So all these millions of alien races are now trapped in the Sol System?
It gets worst. As you browse this thread and others like it, you will find everything wrong with the ending and come to loathe it. Welcome to the party.

Holy crap. Just watched the other two endings. I would be sooo pissed if I had chosen the "red" choice. Earth destroyed, Mass Relays destroyed, Normandy destroyed? Geez.

Didnt even know there was a middle option either the "green" one.

In one of the videos, I think the bad ending one, they show that Sheppard may have survived. Any word on this?

Yeah, this franchise came to a lukewarm ending. So sad really. Wasted potential.

Rapstah

Holy crap. Just watched the other two endings. I would be sooo pissed if I had chosen the "red" choice. Earth destroyed, Mass Relays destroyed, Normandy destroyed? Geez.

Didnt even know there was a middle option either the "green" one.

In one of the videos, I think the bad ending one, they show that Sheppard may have survived. Any word on this?

Yeah, this franchise came to a lukewarm ending. So sad really. Wasted potential.

The red ending has three variants, the worst one has Earth completely destroyed and the best one has Shepard surviving and only the Reapers, Geth and all AIs dying.

Thinking more about it, i think this game did need a relatively bleak ending (not necessarily involving shepard's death). Sacrifice was a strong theme of the game. Probably they should have driven the point home by having to kill several squad members in ME2 (the save all squad members ending was probably the one most people got, even though it was somewhat harder to achieve - but everyone loves a good ending and probably worked for it).

But this ending was not the bad ending mass effect could have had. And I feel that ME3 suffers from not being bleak enough throughout the game. Apart from the beginning and Thessia (which was really well made, as opposed to the beginning), the Krogan and Quarian quests, while being very exhilarating (though fan-servicy) in their good ending versions, are among the highest point of the trilogy in terms of `mood' (in that they are both very happy events).

But the earth part is very bleak, as is the arrival in the citadel. I think the mood shift was a bit sudden.

def sim

Geth and Quarian found peace.

I chose red knowing it would kill off the Geth, but it still, somehow, wasn't as stupid as the other two.

It sounds like you had low EMS. The destroy ending should have only killed synthetic beings with Shepard somehow surviving the explosion at the end.

Lmo911

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Green, because of my horrible guilt over Legion! D: If that didn't happened, Red.
  • How do you feel about the ending? Neutral
    • The ending was weaksause, but I'm not sending 400 cupcakes because of it. The guys slipped at the finish line, they didn't eat my baby.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? It's a fun theory, but for now I'm skeptical.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC?Of course, fun game.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Probably, it might sway me one way or the other.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 2

When it comes to Mass Effect 3, they really nailed the feeling that this is the end. The Normandy is a dreary place; in some ways a lonely place. There's a wall dedicated to the people your choices have killed. Thane's room sits empty, his coffee cup still there. Jack's place under engineering is now home to a rat (space hamster). Javic comments on the people who used to live in his room. Even with the roaming banter of the characters, etc. the Normandy isn't the place it was in ME1 or ME2. The roaming characters are almost a statement that they're just as restless as you are. Garrus doesn't want to calibrate his cannon, he wants to do something to save the galaxy! So does everyone else.

ME3 gets the whole "everyone's gonna die" feeling right that ME2 kind of missed with it's "suicide mission" theme. I never really felt like death was inevitable in ME2. In ME3 I'm watching people die who I've built relationships with over the series and each one shrinks the world I'm in. They probably couldn't do that properly without it being the "last" game in the series. Death after death, each choice taking away friends and compatriots, each one driving you to that last little moment where you're alone, crippled and dragging what's left of yourself to the citadel. The only thing that I wish they had done was allow those people to really be a part of the crew again, so you could literally watch your cast fade one by one as your approach your goal.

Of course then there's the ending, If it had ended with Shepard and Anderson watching the world burn both spent from their mission to the save the Earth, I would have been content. Hell if it was me and Garrus, it would have been perfect. But the last little bit, I kind of get what they were going for... but it's like they ran out of time to finish it or something. All choices destroy the Mass Relays and that's a bit WTF for me. No matter what you do you condemn the galaxy. Like I said, weaksause.

Okay no more wall of text.... but damn it! All Legion wanted to do was be a real boy!

lotrfan

Neo Member

Well at the Cerberus base someone (i think EDI) says that he went to the Citadel and alerted the Reapers. So presumably he was there all that time.

2147028-yodawgme.jpg

So basically this is the totality of ME?

McNum

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
      It comes out of nowhere and creates more questions than it answers. After a full trilogy, I expected an ending that would cover the entire story from 1 through 2 to 3, not one that makes up a new story in the last 10 minutes.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
    It's an amusing fan-theory, but it looks more like remnants of a cut plot point than an actual secret ending. It gave us Marauder Shields, though, and that's awesome.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
    At the moment, no. No reason to add more to a story that becomes irrelevant by the end of the game.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
    As much as I'd love to say no, I would. I want my epilogue "Where are they now?" ending.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 2
    It would be 3, but I just love how everything comes together at the end of ME2. ME3 is the mechanically stronger, and the main story is better in ME1. Honestly, I'd probably buy a Mass Effect Trilogy edition if they took the mechanics of 3 and used them for all three games. Especially the Reputation system.

Private Jenkins also had a skill tree if I remember correctly, really weird that THAT is where Bioware chooses to go the extra mile.

They didn't go the extra mile.

They chopped a bunch of stuff and because of their laziness/lack of effort, they failed to remove that last remaining bit.

Back in the days of Mass Effect 1, I had enough faith in Bioware that I assumed Jenkins had a tree because they wanted you to be even just a little invested in him before they killed him.

Jenkin's death got more respect than some of the ME 2 characters.

How could you guys buy DLC? What enjoyment would you get out of it? You're pretty much doing a meaningless mission, not to mention encouraging BioWare that no matter how bad they fuck up, people will still gladly eat up DLC. How could you not be insulted by that post game message?

"Congratulations on wasting your time playing Mass Effect. Sorry for that shit ending, but buy our DLC and continue the legacy! You know, the legacy that ends up with you dying and setting galactic civilization back hundreds of thousands of years. Yeah, that legacy"

I would only possibly consider MP DLC. The MP is actually enjoyable, just very limited in terms of content. SP however, would never even touch it even if the DLC was free.

What? I've already wasted 200hr's+ on Mass Effect because of the ending. I can afford to lose a few more hours. And a lot depends on how they work the ending DLC, we will see next week.

But major props to Hateradio! Getting a lot of input and it's looking great.

destroy its the worse if you have low ems...

also it has unique video for some seconds as earth gets destroyed completely...

http://youtu.be/mvypGrIG4B4?t=1m28s
Holy tits! I've been actively discussing this ending since I finished the game (2 days after launch) and I haven't seen that. Well, at least there are some differences. Still doesn't feel like it matters.

But seeing that actually makes me believe the indoc theory a little less.

Damn. Everything is destroyed. Well shit there's a bit more diversity then I thought.

I doubt the entire population of each species came to fight.

Geth, Quarian, and Krogan probably came in almost their entirety. Krogan probably have a bunch of pregnant women back home, and Geth/Quarian just have whoever they left back on Rannoch to work on reconstruction.

Turian's entire military would be there, dooming whoever they couldn't evacuate off of Palavan.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Nonsensical, too many plot holes. The very definition of a deus ex machina.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yep
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes. Numerous times.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? For story? First. For character interactions? Second.

Top Bottom