• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Yeah, but that came at the expense of all of the sense of newness and exploration of ME1.

I'm not saying that the mako was flawless, it clearly wasn't, but actually going to uncharted worlds and exploring them, rolling over terrain to uncover slaver/cerberus bases is prob one of my favorite moments of gaming this gen.

It was repetitive because they put too much landscape without enough content, but it had you going out into this massive universe to explore the unknown.

And then ME2 cut it out altogether. The Hammerhead was also quite frankly, shit. I suppose it was fun to drive, but died faster than a fly getting swatted.

I actually didn't really mind that the uncharted planet exploration was removed. I think Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 suffer more from feeling really repetitive due to the straight forward, linear, combat-heavy level design. For me, it was even more noticeable in Mass Effect 3, due to the removal of the minor side objectives that were still present in Mass Effect 2 (like saving Mordin's assistant, for example).

Hartt951

Yeah, but that came at the expense of all of the sense of newness and exploration of ME1.

I'm not saying that the mako was flawless, it clearly wasn't, but actually going to uncharted worlds and exploring them, rolling over terrain to uncover slaver/cerberus bases is prob one of my favorite moments of gaming this gen.

It was repetitive because they put too much landscape without enough content, but it had you going out into this massive universe to explore the unknown.

And then ME2 cut it out altogether. The Hammerhead was (IMO), shit. I suppose it was fun to drive, but died faster than a fly getting swatted.
Clearly it had faults, I'm not saying it didn't. I'm just saying I don't understand the people saying ME2 was horrible and garbage. It did things wrong, but it did things right too. It was a great game overall and far from shit.

I like what Zomba posted above, if we could just combine the three aspects each ME did best into one game it would be the greatest thing ever.

I seriously don't get why you weren't able to have a Krogan in your party this game, why were people clamoring for Tali and not wrex? Tali is a terrible character.

Wrex is fucking awesome.

Javik is fucking awesome.

Those two with a renegade Shepherd would have been dreamy.

Hartt951

Would it be worth buying the Prothean DLC and starting a NG+?

I keep hearing how awesome Javik was and I'm regretting not buying it before I started playing. I just assumed that it was a post-ending DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival and I was planning on buying it after I had beaten the game, but then the ending pissed me off and I found out the DLC was meant to be played before the ending, so now I am sad :(.

def sim

I keep hearing how awesome Javik was and I'm regretting not buying it before I started playing. I just assumed that it was a post-ending DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival and I was planning on buying it after I had beaten the game, but then the ending pissed me off and I found out the DLC was meant to be played before the ending, so now I am sad :(.

Depends on how willing you are to re-play the campaign and if you would love to have a jerk in your crew.

Where did you get that idea when everything written about it, even the official descriptions point out it's about a prothean squadmate?

mxgt

Banned

He's a pretty major character, provides a lot of interesting dialogue and backstory. Especially during the mission on Thessia. Plus he's hilarious.

Seriously shitty of Bioware to put him in as paid DLC

Personally; I found the Shadow Broker DLC far more compelling when you worked it into a playthrough part-way.

Javik is a high point in the unpolished and disappointing experience that is Mass Effect 3.

From a complete prick point of view, Bioware was smart to rip it out of the game and charge extra for it.

So I just read up on the indoctrination theory. I really, really hope it's true. If it isn't, I hope Bioware makes it the truth.

Well, I didn't see RED as renegade. It was the only ending that made sense in my opinion. And you're right, the synthesis ending goes against absolutely everything Mass Effect was about for me. It's a pretty cool option I suppose, but not for my Shep.

B..b..but EDI, and the Geth :( ?

ME2 was absolute garbage. That game was worse than the ME3 ending.

I started ME2 again, and the difference between that and ME3 is crazy. Redoing Mordin's mission on Omega it's by far better than anything in ME3. After convincing the Turian to let you into the quarantine zone you make your way through apartment blocks, you run into a sick Batarian you can help, a couple hiding in their apartment, and a couple of humans looting another apartment as well as a bunch of turians that died and left logs of their last moments. Then you find Mordin and in addition to getting the cure out you can find and rescue his assistant. Then when it's all over you see the Batarian hanging around if you helped him and he thanks you. That was probably one of the better missions in ME2 but the contrast between that and ME3's completely straightforward and boring shooter design couldn't be clearer.

You kind of have to like douchebags to like javik. A badass douchebag, but a douchebag nonetheless.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I actually didn't really mind that the uncharted planet exploration was removed. I think Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 suffer more from feeling really repetitive due to the straight forward, linear, combat-heavy level design. For me, it was even more noticeable in Mass Effect 3, due to the removal of the minor side objectives that were still present in Mass Effect 2 (like saving Mordin's assistant, for example).

I can agree with this. ME2 had little and 3 had no breathing room between missions. The sense of urgency was increased artificially by not allowing any actual exploration or 'off the beaten path' type scenarios.

I think someone said it earlier in the thread, but ME1 was a campy but enjoyable 70s-80s scifi series that was changed in ME2-3 to be a blockbuster episodic tv show in 2 and fly-through-the-action-scenes movie in 3.

ME3 is literally a corridor-fest 3rd person shooter with decent controls and tech/biotic powers and a semi-strong story of 2 games before it to back it up.

Clearly it had faults, I'm not saying it didn't. I'm just saying I don't understand the people saying ME2 was horrible and garbage. It did things wrong, but it did things right too. It was a great game overall and far from shit.

ME2 did character exploration really well, at the expense of a lot of world exploration. The combat was 'better', but having all powers tied to a global cooldown was pretty annoying. ME3 managed to improve the combat a lot more with weapon variety and things like weight and faster power usage.

I like what Zomba posted above, if we could just combine the three aspects each ME did best into one game it would be the greatest thing ever.

Yeah, that would be game of the forever. Too bad it'll never be more than a pipe dream. :/

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So guys, what are your thoughts on the indoctrination theory? What I don't understand though is my EMS. I completed every sidequest and depleted every planet in the galaxy, but my EMS is still around 3500. You need at least 5000EMS to view the "perfect/secret" ending. How the hell do I get that much EMS?
Indoctrination theory is lame. Also you can only reach around 3500 EMS with single player alone. You'll need MP to get the rating up.

Hartt951

But like on the main menu screen of the game it says "prothean squadmate".
I wasn't even connected to XBL when I played it, so the only screen there was was the Galaxy at War saying "Error cannot connect to Galaxy at War". I seriously spared no expense in spoiling absolutely nothing, and then Bioware just fucks up the ending. Made it so much worst to go through.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can't get why people keep saying ME2's "clearly the best". People were pretty hard on it when it came out and it has a shitton of problems. I think people just like to complain about what they are playing then and then praising it later. ME2 had a LOT of crappy things throughout and if you remove all the DLC, there's really not much to it.

I LOVE ME2, even without DLC. It has a lot of flaws, but really, every single Mass Effect has a bunch. I think 3 > 2 > 1 overall, but I think 2 is much better than 1.

EliCash

So I just read up on the indoctrination theory. I really, really hope it's true. If it isn't, I hope Bioware makes it the truth.

B..b..but EDI, and the Geth :( ?

I know, Legion was one of my favourites and his death was meaningful at the time. EDI was as loyal as Garrus, but we all knew there would have to be sacrifices :(

Earth was on fire before my eyes, Anderson was dead and some God Kid was pissing me off with his circular reasoning and poor exposition, I had to end it all.

I'm going to be honest, I never thought about EDI. Joker's going to be pissed.

Sorry to ask again - does anyone have a good document explaining the indoctrination theory, and its rebuttal?

The documents in the OP just explain why ME3's ending sucks :)
edit: I know there's google but i'd like to read whatever is better written

dr_rus

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?
  • Green
  • Dislike
    • It doesn't make sense and destroy ME universe at the same time.
  • No
  • Yes (maybe, depends on the content)
  • Yes (maybe, depends on the content)
  • Yes
  • 1, 2, 3

Clott

Tali and Garrus are arguably the two most popular characters in the saga.

Well I rolled with Garrus for every mission in the entire game, still no excuse not to include a Krogan.

Did a lot of people miss the romance between Garrus and Tali? you catch Garrus almost calibrating her.

What if they just came and killed every machine every 50k years. They are huge indestructible robits. That doesn't seem like that hard of a task. Or better yet, indoctrinate the 3 laws of robotics into all synthetics.

It took me less than 5 minutes to think up better answers then mass genocide.

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B? Red
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Hate it.
    Non sensical, goes against a lot that has been told during the entire trilogy, plot holes, my choices actually didn't matter at the end.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? Lol, no.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N Lol, no x2. The ending is what I've seen at the end of my first playthrough. That's it, I couldn't care less about any ending DLC
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N?Yup
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1, 2 ,3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?Well, 3 was great until the final two hours. I'd say three, then.

What if they just came and killed every machine every 50k years. They are huge indestructible robits. That doesn't seem like that hard of a task. Or better yet, indoctrinate the 3 laws of robotics into all synthetics.

It took me less than 5 minutes to think up better answers then mass genocide.

Or just blasted out a massive EMP ever couple of thousand years.

Well I rolled with Garrus for every mission in the entire game, still no excuse not to include a Krogan.

Did a lot of people miss the romance between Garrus and Tali? you catch Garrus almost calibrating her.

My Tali died before I could see that happen. She didn't handle the real estate crash that came after the Geth v Quarian war.

Or just blasted out a massive EMP ever couple of thousand years.
Or do what I did in ME2 and mine every planet possible until it's just a hollow husk. Then they won't have anything to build synthetics out of.

MechaX

Like he gives a fuck, he was too busy running away trying to save his own skin

Well hey, even in the destroy ending, Joker seems pretty happy about landing on Lost Planet! (even though one would think that he would be the first to know about EDI dying, with her being the ship's goddamn AI)

Well hey, even in the destroy ending, Joker seems pretty happy about landing on Lost Planet! (even though one would think that he would be the first to know about EDI dying, with her being the ship's goddamn AI)

It's cool cause she hid out in the life tree until she could take over one of Ender's bodies and rejoin Joker the crippled.

Wait... someone already did a romance between a genetically defective loner and an AI? It was called "Children of the Mind"? Oh well.

raphier

Banned
Gods, Tuchanka was really annoying piece of writing: FORMULATE A MASSIVE ATTACK AGAINST THE REAPER -> LOSE ALL YOU GODDAMN UNITS AND CANCEL AIR ASSAULT. Boo hoo, did your budget end in that sequence Bioware? It's made krogan look like a one man army without an army.

Cagey

Banned
Here's a random question.

The Yahg were written as a near space-age civilization, "20th Cenutry Earth" as per the wikia.

Why the hell would I believe that the Reapers should take a "nothing to see here, move along sir" mentality to that civilization?

At least from what I assumed happened, extinction at the end of each cycle left nothing but primitive species along the lines of humans 20-50K years ago to begin evolving in the next cycle, not a species on the doorstep of space-flight.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thanks. I don't buy this was the intent, but this is very well made. I'd love to read a well-written rebuttal. Can't find anything so far. Funny thing is that it's more consistent with the universe than the actual endings.

I don't believe it's the intent, but I do hope bioware rolls with it and makes a new ending. It's the cleanest way they can get away with doing so.

def sim

Here's a random question.

The Yahg were written as a near space-age civilization, "20th Cenutry Earth" as per the wikia.

Why the hell would I believe that the Reapers should take a "nothing to see here, move along sir" mentality to that civilization?

At least from what I assumed happened, extinction at the end of each cycle left nothing but primitive species along the lines of humans 20-50K years ago to begin evolving in the next cycle, not a species on the doorstep of space-flight.

Near space-age? 1950's to our modern times Earth wouldn't be able to use the Charon relay if we wanted to (and not for an even longer time), so I supposed they considered that primitive enough. Who knows? The Reaper standards are unknown and they have crap logic from what I understand.

Rapstah

Near space-age? 1950's to our modern times Earth wouldn't be able to use the Charon relay if we wanted to (and not for an even longer time), so I supposed they considered that primitive enough. Who knows? The Reaper standards are unknown and they have crap logic from what I understand.

Best case scenario for them they get around 49500 years to find and build the Crucible.

Karl2177

I'm at a Barnes and Nobles right now, and I looked at a copy of Deception. I opened it up and one of the pages had a corner folded down. Naturally I look at it, and to my surprise it's the fucking cereal page. I started laughing, almost to the point of crying. One of the employees walks up and asks if I needed any assistance and I could barely let out a "no". How could anyone be so retarded to include that in a piece of professional writing?

Cagey

Banned

Yahg were prepping their first spaceship. At least from the game's timeline, humans went from the waltzing on the moon in 1969 to discovering the relay in 2148. 200 years (or even a 1,000 if it took them five times as long) is a far cry from the 49.8K it took humans, or even the 47K or so it took Asari (using wikia again).

Also, true. Crap logic indeed.

Best case scenario for them they get around 49500 years to find and build the Crucible.

Operating under the fiction that the Reapers's actions made some damn sense, yeah, that's why the question came to me. Giving a species a 49K year head start into devising some means of toppling the Reapers seems odd. Hell, they'd start expanding soon enough to find the freshly charred remains of everything that just happened.

It only makes sense because you want it to.

You could try writing something a bit more interesting.

I do agree that most supporters of the indoctrination theory probably believe it because they want a good ending so badly.

At the same time, the theory they crafted incidentally makes more sense than the actual ending bioware intended. At least, it contradicts the universe less.

inky

Might as well:

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B? Red
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Dislike it
    I feel it doesn't do justice to the universe, to the kind of genre fiction this game is, to the characters, your choices and especially to the protagonist, who I spent 100+ hours building just to be rendered useless in the final scene just so Walters/Hudson could have their artsy mindfuck. The shameless BUY DLC message is probably the most insulting addendum to it.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? Nope, in fact I'm pretty much done with Bioware, though I knew that before playing ME3 (even though I have still $30 worth of points I'll never use)
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N No, I would just youtube it. I don't think that they either had to change it or that it will be substantial enough to make it good anyway.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N? Of course
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1->2->3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME 1 for sure. Campy, with great scope and ambition and a great introduction to the universe. Saren was just the icing on the awesome cake.

def sim

that would be ridiculous huh

Maybe it's because of the Yahg's predisposition to violence; more so than the Krogan's? They figured the Yahg will continuously destroy themselves enough to hinder their progress or into extinction.

Man, I don't know. All I know is that the Shadow Broker being a Yahg was kind of a bummer.

Dresden

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B? Green
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Dislike
    It's dumb
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N No
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N? Yes
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1->2->3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Looking back, ME1.

Top Bottom