• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

That argument would be fine if the ending didn't invalidate some of the best parts of the journey. Made peace between the Quarians and the Geth? Too bad, they are destined to fight one another and the Quarians are now stranded lightyears away from their regained homeworld. Cured the Genophage and created a new future for the Krogan? Too bad, with Wrex stuck on Earth the Krogan will probably go back to fighting one another.

In my mind, this wouldn't even be a problem if they did it right.

Why didn't they have the Reapers win no matter what? Shepard dies, maybe he sends out a warning across the galaxy, maybe he doesn't. No starchild, no Crucible (or maybe the thing just doesn't work) etc., Mass Relays are still intact, and it has kind of an artistic feel to it. Sure, a ton of people would be pissed, but it's logical and fits with the universe, among other things. I wouldn't have liked it, but I would have respected it.

Haunted

hmm...What if they come up with another ending in which Shepard rejecting the star child space magic n just fight to the death.
That would have been better than the original choices, but nothing they can come up with now and add/attach to the existing canonical three choice ending will change my opinion. I consider ME3 to be a finished product at this point.

Derrick01

Banned
Bring Down the Sky is 1.5+ hours of content, has a meaningful story, has many choices shepard can make at the end and you get the best armor for your level as a reward and the choice you make carries over to ME2 and ME3.

Pinnacle station is just wave based combat, no story, is dull and boring.

Yeah Pinnacle station wasn't the best idea for ME1's combat. After waiting so long to get dlc out of that game it was disappointing that we only got 1 (though really good) substantial piece.

Subitai

Bring Down the Sky is 1.5+ hours of content, has a meaningful story, has many choices shepard can make at the end and you get the best armor for your level as a reward and the choice you make carries over to ME2 and ME3.

Pinnacle station is just wave based combat, no story, is dull and boring.
It is boring unless you wanna find out how good you and your best 2 squadmates really are with all your level X stuff. Also, fairly ez extra fast lvls at the beginning. Ok if you can get it free, but i wouldn't pay for it.

Bring Down the Sky came with my boxed Deluxe Ed. for 360.

Cagey

Banned
No, they can write themselves out of anything. Skip ahead 50,000 years and you have technology again. Maybe they found reaper artifacts? Bam! now they have Mass Relay technology. The ending we got just means a clean slate.

They're not going 50K years in the future if there's no humans. They're not making a Mass Effect game without humans, period. In that sense, they either have 1) limitations to work with or 2) that much more nonsense to write away.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just finished my marathon of ME1. There was so much cannon that I forgot. It actually holds up pretty well. When my first Xbox died, I got it repaired and then formatted the hd and sold it because I bought an elite. So I lost my save. Now I have Wrex not dead and the Rachnid queen alive.

Now onto ME2 and I'm going to import my save. I want to see this through like a book. I was pissed at the end of ME3, but I want to see the whole thing with everything fresh. Maybe it'll have an effect.

Edit: And I discovered that I miss driving the Mako. Being on those planets and looking up at the sky was awesome. Wish they would have just tweaked it instead of what they eventually wound up doing.

They're not going 50K years in the future if there's no humans. They're not making a Mass Effect game without humans, period. In that sense, they either have 1) limitations to work with or 2) that much more nonsense to write away.

The humans aren't dead though, so they could write it in with humans.

Or, they have some twist where you play as an Alien and one of the end reveals is that the humans were near- Godlike before their civilization vanished :O

I'm kidding. Kind of.

Haunted

That just reminds me of that hamfisted YOU GOTTA CARE ABOUT EARTH bs

bleh

That just reminds me of that hamfisted YOU GOTTA CARE ABOUT EARTH bs

bleh

THEY'RE BLIND

Meanwhile, Billions are dying by the day on Palaven

and Shepard calls them blind because they don't want to help out precious Earth

lol

Edit: I mean, I just don't understand why BioWare built a universe that big and then focused the last game so heavily around Earth.

Humans still exist, Buzz Alrdin says so.

Syril

Now I'm feeling sad. Because with the destruction of the mass relays we can't ever return to this universe in future games.

I think it would be neat to see a story about the raloi, but it'll never happen, because the raloi are such a footnote that they don't even have a character design.

I think it would be neat to see a story about the raloi, but it'll never happen, because the raloi are such a footnote that they don't even have a character design.

Don't they only exist so ME writers could make bird flu related articles in that Cerberus Daily News thing? Was there any official word about them in ME3 "news"?

Tajin

Banned
THEY'RE BLIND

lol

Edit: I mean, I just don't understand why BioWare built a universe that big and then focused the last game so heavily around Earth.

It's OK. The Krogan can magically hold out the unstoppable, billion year old Reaper Forces!

Syril

Don't they only exist so ME writers could make bird flu related articles in that Cerberus Daily News thing? Was there any official word about them in ME3 "news"?

On the Citadel, there was a report that they closed their embassy and fled to their homeworld in the hopes that the reapers wouldn't consider them an advanced species. Considering their first contact was when they launched their first space telescope and immediately spotted an asari cruiser, it's hard to blame them.

Massa

It's OK. The Krogan can magically hold out the unstoppable, billion year old Reaper Forces!

If you want to look deep into it the whole concept of reaper vs organics war is flawed to begin with. The reapers are so much more powerful than anything else.

THEY'RE BLIND

lol

It's disaster movie logic. Either destroy, or put in danger, something the audience are likely to know about(Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, that curvy thing in Australia, etc.) in the real world under the assumption that it will make them care. Vent kid runs under related faulty logic.

If you want to look deep into it the whole concept of reaper vs organics war is flawed to begin with. The reapers are so much more powerful than anything else.

I guess they kinda get around that by showing that the reapers don't want to just murder everything, they want to take prisoners so they can turn them into reaper juice. So they can't go totally balls out and just blow up whole planets.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Because Bioware wanted Earth to be SPECIAL GUYZ. That was why they said they didn't have it as a location in ME1 or ME2. Earth had to be special to the player.

And then they fucked it up by only letting you see one alliance base and a nameless city being destroyed by the reapers in ME3 after not having it mentioned at all in ME1 or 2.

Edit: And I discovered that I miss driving the Mako. Being on those planets and looking up at the sky was awesome. Wish they would have just tweaked it instead of what they eventually wound up doing.

You and me both. :/

It's disaster movie logic. Either destroy, or put in danger, something the audience are likely to know about(Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, that curvy thing in Australia, etc.) in the real world under the assumption that it will make them care. Vent kid runs under related faulty logic.

So that's why there were 42 Phonebooths in London.

Because Bioware wanted Earth to be SPECIAL GUYZ. That was why they said they didn't have it as a location in ME1 or ME2. Earth had to be special to the player.

That is possibly one of the most idiotic things I have ever read. If they want it to be special, they would have had it in all 3 games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Clearly bioware needs to patch the game and replace vent kid with a puppy. I would certainly care atleast 10x more.

Well, 10x0...so nevermind. Still!

New spreadsheet link

There's only one person who's taken the poll that likes the ending. That's pretty sad.
My small, seemingly insignificant post has been given a numeric value in a chart has added to the overall picture of GAF's interactions with ME3. A single brush stroke culminating in the portrait of GAF's potential to either withstand or fall in the storm of destruction brought down from the blackest parts of game development space. Yet, in the end, I realize it will essentially be meaningless, as we all, one by one, float down the river of overwhelming dissatisfaction, guided by the ebb and flow of inevitability...

Oh, cool, I'm like near the very top!

GSR

Does anyone know if there's a converter to convert ME3 PC saves to 360 yet? My brother's started the game on PC but he'll probably finish it on 360.

Haunted

My renegade Shepard would care more about the Hanar homeworld than Earth tbh (Blasto!).

Bioware should've let us choose which of the major races' homeworlds to make the last stand on (potentially also using this as political leverage).

I had saved the Geth and united them with the Quarians, and was all for their freedom throughout 2 and 3. My Shepard was hell bent on destroying the Reapers though, and given how fucked up he was at the end the only option was their destruction, at that stage previous decisions didn't matter. And I actually quite liked that, the odds of everything going in his favour and every sacrifice having positive consequences are slim and that's why I liked the destruction/RED ending more than the others. The utter hopelessness of walking towards the power cell firing the pistol and effectively plunging the galaxy into a dark age is actually a pretty cool ending. It's defeating the Reapers but at such a cost that it doesn't seem like a victory, and I think that would have been a pretty bold "good" ending if Bioware committed themselves to following through on that idea (as just one of many endings obviously) and married it with bitter-sweet images of your squad / fleet and previous decisions.They may have attempted the whole bittersweet thing, but they didn't try very hard. The destruction ending is almost decent if you present your own reading of it and pretend that by ignoring things Bioware were implying things or leaving things up to the player - when really they just lost sight and focus in my opinion.
See, I wanted to choose red, but, for the same reason you didn't choose blue, I couldn't kill off the Geth after I had spent so much time fighting for their place among the races of the galaxy. Regardless of everything that had just transpired within the previous ten minutes, I couldn't bring myself to contradict the nature of my character like that... Also, green sounded like it would be freaking ridiculous. Too bad it was just the same as the other endings, basically. : (

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Speaking of Bring down the Sky. How on earth am I supposed to get it for my steam copy? Every link to the old store is broken.

Nexas

Why were we building up this force to retake Earth anyways? Everyone was under the assumption that the Crucible was this weapon that would automatically kill all the Reapers in the galaxy. Wouldn't have worked wherever it was? Sure we needed to go there once the Citadel was moved, but why focus on Earth before that?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Speaking of Bring down the Sky. How on earth am I supposed to get it for my steam copy? Every link to the old store is broken.
You just download the normal installer. You have to use the "universal" key, as someone stated earlier.

Why were we building up this force to retake Earth anyways? Everyone was under the assumption that the Crucible was this weapon that would automatically kill all the Reapers in the galaxy. Wouldn't have worked wherever it was? Sure we needed to go there once the Citadel was moved, but why focus on Earth before that?

Aye, that be dumb.

"Shepard, you say earth is under siege? I guess Palaven isn't all that important to use turians, we'll go with you. Broker a peace between as and the krogan, who would sooner see us dead than protect our homeworld, I imagine, and we're there."

Here's the link. It's not updated completely. If anyone wants to help update and reorganize it, please PM me your gmail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnCWct1HuRdkdE9yTHRwUE1ROXpXQURYbkg5Uk5XMWc

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?
Can I still do this? If so here's my answers.

• What color did you pick? R
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like
  • Please describe why you feel this way. Because I believe in the indoctrination theory. I don't take every that happened as literal. Including the child.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? That depends. I like the ending, so anything that changes it I will not buy. Anything that adds to it I will buy.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3

Big-E

Didn't play the game but just finished reading this thread and watching all the relevant videos for the story. I want IT to be true because the other explanation leaves me super jealous. Jealous of how such incompetence can find their way into leading a fucking massive project like this. I think this game is showing that outside of coding and creating assets, the average video game player can do just as good of a job as anyone else in this industry in terms of "design".

I also worry that they are going to put off IT as their own when they actually didn't plan it and say that they did as it is the only thing that can make some sense of the ending.

Omega

Banned
I had no problem with them using Earth as the main battle ground. The problem is how they handled it. Earth was more meaningless than vent kid. I get it, I'm from Earth in real life, I should care. But it's a video game. I had no attachment to it in the game. It's never mentioned in the first two and you barely see it in the intro.

What makes Earth more special than Palaven, Thessia, Tuchanka or any other of the species homeworlds? That Anderson was born in London with his non-existent accent? Cool.

You spend the first to games getting attached to the universe/characters and then in the 3rd, they just throw it all away. Everything is pretty much forced. Garrus is like a brother-figure to you, and yet you don't give a shit that Palaven is getting destroyed. It's all "cool story bro, but I need the Turians at Earth."

Grisby

Starting my second go through, all renegade. This game is just so much fun. That pavlen moon deal was a gorgeous mission.

On this go through I should have Kelly Chambers alive though, when do you see her?

i-Lo

Damn Bioware and their anthropocentrism!

Yea, I was surprised to see that there no side missions in one of three games to bring "Democracy" to other species.

Oh wait but... on an additional note

Aliens shake hands with humans, exclusively a western trait

Aliens are bound my near identical social norms as humans

Aliens races have human-esque free market system

They enjoy dancing!?.. and the company of performers akin to pole dancers!

In all seriousness, I do admire Bioware's ambition. However, for whatever reason (perhaps because we all like to think our species is so special with all the greed, lying, hypocrisy, politics, racism etc) we are all too special, towering over every other alien species out there. I guess if it weren't for these imaginative deficiencies the game couldn't have proliferated as far as it did.

The only truly unique character for me is:

Illusive Man- A true representation of human ambition and insecurity

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can I still do this? If so here's my answers.
  • What color did you pick? R
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like
  • Please describe why you feel this way. Because I believe in the indoctrination theory. I don't take every that happened as literal. Including the child.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? That depends. I like the ending, so anything that changes it I will not buy. Anything that adds to it I will buy.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3
You only like the ending because you think IT helps it? Hrm . . .

Anyway, yes, the poll is still going. I added your data.

Cagey

Banned
So, anyone not watching Cartoon Network here...

Adult Swim doing a Toonami nostalgia block.

Even recorded a TOM game review for ME3.

"Admittedly, the ending is pretty weak."

So good.

Top Bottom