• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Pepboy

ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? Blue, because I wasn't sure which color corresponded to what decision and didn't like any of them anyways. (I was sleepy).
  • How do you feel about the ending? Strongly dislike, makes me sick.
  • Please describe why you feel this way. Extremely inconsistent (dead teammates transported onto Normandy which is flying away) and lazy or rushed. No way to fight vent kid's edict.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, but I hope I'm wrong. It just seems far more likely that Bioware has become a mediocre developer.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No, they should make any DLC free after this fiasco, at least for the next 2-3 DLC.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes, though it should be free if they want to keep any goodwill.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass effect 2, I felt like the characters were so well integrated, and the suicide mission ending felt so consequential (decisions impacted outcome). Though the terminator bit was a little silly.

You can say that the series was a big wasted opportunity. :(

Ah, I am not as bitter as some of you, even if the ending sucked :)
I still think that ME3 is a great game and ME a wonderful serie; i'll just try to pretend i was never able to beat the last wave of banshees, which was very nearly true anyway.

Minion101

Banned
The indoctrination was something Bioware attempted to use during ME3. It was scrapped because it was too hard to actually make. The Final Hours app mentions that.

The indoctrination gameplay once being there only supports the idea for me.

Considering how great the journey was over the 3 games up to the ending unless it was shown that it was all a dream nothing will take away my love for the series or my liking the ending.

But it wasn't a dream, the entire series was Buzz Aldrin telling his grandson a story of "the Sheppard". Apparently the legend of "the Sheppard" includes punching reporters, going to night clubs, Conrad Verner, and possibly wild sex in a spaceship cargo hold. It's how I met your mother levels of inappropriate.

Now I'm feeling sad. Because with the destruction of the mass relays we can't ever return to this universe in future games.

Casey Hudson doesn't want to do sequels.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The indoctrination gameplay once being there only supports the idea for me.
The Catalyst was Javik at one point. Dark Energy was the focus once. Things change, you have to accept that.

Ah, I am not as bitter as some of you, even if the ending sucked :)
I still think that ME3 is a great game and ME a wonderful serie; i'll just try to pretend i was never able to beat the last wave of banshees, which was very nearly true anyway.
I'm not bitter. But it's a little sad that each iteration of the series discarded exploration, which I personally liked. (Mako forever!)

Now I'm feeling sad. Because with the destruction of the mass relays we can't ever return to this universe in future games.
You'll be okay in a week.

RyanDG

The Catalyst was Javik at one point. Dark Energy was the focus once. Things change, you have to accept that.

Jeez. Didn't realize the Javik was the Catalyst at one point.

I really feel bad for the people that didn't get Javik with their game purchase... He was one of the highlights of the game.

hateradio

Jeez. Didn't realize the Javik was the Catalyst at one point.

I really feel bad for the people that didn't get Javik with their game purchase... He was one of the highlights of the game.
He, at least reflecting on my play through, was the most talkative teammate besides Liara if not more.

It's mystifying how BW justified cutting him out and reestablishing him as DLC.

Bet EA will want sequels.

Just wondering, but do any of you suspect that EA execs meddled with the ending?
We can only speculate. The only thing EA may have meddled with is the release date. But it seems that Casey doesn't want to do any post-ME3 games. Muzyka, however, stated that there will be more ME games. The series is in a limbo, as far as anyone can tell.

RyanDG

He, at least reflecting on my play through, was the most talkative teammate besides Liara if not more.

It's mystifying how BW justified cutting him out and reestablishing him as DLC.

Yep. And the conversations between he and Liara were great. Especially after Thessia.

We can only speculate. The only thing EA may have meddled with is the release date. But it seems that Casey doesn't want to do any post-ME3 games. Muzyka, however, stated that there will be more ME games. The series is in a limbo, as far as anyone can tell.

There is still two years were Sheppard is dead where pretty much anything can happen.

that could also be in a time period before the entire galaxy switched to an inexplicably worse ammo system

hateradio

So I just watched that and there are differences between what you choose?
Destroy = Destroy Reapers and other synthetics like EDI and the Geth. Shep can survive the Citadel's collapse if you get 5,000 EMS (only doable through MP).
Control = Become a Reaper.
Synthesis = Joker gets a space magic cap.

Edit: Differences in EMS only change the bad/good aspect of it.

DTKT

The ending kills just about any sequel opportunity. I doubt EA would want to limit sequel possibilities with an ending like this.

EA/Bioware is not above retconning stuff for sequels. Just look at DAII.

Nothing they did in ME3 will limit the "milking" potential of the Mass Effect franchise.

Dany

Banned
Isn't that a pretty big difference in how it ends?

But that is only tangentially related to any decision you make. That is based upon your galactic readiness and your total military strength. A value that doesn't change anything in the final battle on earth except on how much earth is destroyed.

Minion101

Banned

I'm aware things change. Not sure what you're supporting here. Also

From Drew Karpyshyn's twitter
@DrewKarpyshyn - @danielhumgon @GambleMike From what I hear, the basic concept of the original ending is there, though some details may have been tweaked.

@DrewKarpyshyn - @LukGaming Dark Energy was on the table at one point, but the original idea for the ending was all about Reapers and Mass Relays.#ME3

@andb52 - @DrewKarpyshyn Could you provide any more detail on what you mean when you say the ending "was all about Reapers and Mass Relays?" Thanks!

‏@DrewKarpyshyn - @andb52 Nope. Already said more than I should. I don't like discussing things I wasn't involved with - too easy to say something stupid.

Dark energy was only "on the table" with all their other ideas

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You could try writing something a bit more interesting.

I do agree that most supporters of the indoctrination theory probably believe it because they want a good ending so badly.

At the same time, the theory they crafted incidentally makes more sense than the actual ending bioware intended. At least, it contradicts the universe less.

I do agree to that. TIT does have a lot of depth to it.

Part of the journey is anticipation of the destination. If your mostly good road trip cross country ends with your car falling off a cliff into a pile of pig shit, you're probably going to have mixed feelings on that trip, and misgivings on reliving that experience.

I'm not surprised the green juice ending is so high up there based on what people are saying and its perception as the best ending.

But I'm surprised more people don't associate its space magic bullshit with everything that is wrong with the ending, put a few holes in starchild's head, and then laugh all the way to the glass tube as you prepare to blow his ass up.

Nexas

Its the journey not the destination is the dumbest cop out argument.

That argument would be fine if the ending didn't invalidate some of the best parts of the journey. Made peace between the Quarians and the Geth? Too bad, they are destined to fight one another and the Quarians are now stranded lightyears away from their regained homeworld. Cured the Genophage and created a new future for the Krogan? Too bad, with Wrex stuck on Earth the Krogan will probably go back to fighting one another.

Tajin

Banned
I'm thinking about starting up a support group on meetup.com called "Mass Effect 3 Survivors." Basically, a safe place where local Mass Effect 3 gamers can express their feelings about the ending. A lot of us have been feeling very depressed lately and I want to make sure we all get through this difficult stage in our lives.

I'm thinking about starting up a support group on meetup.com called "Mass Effect 3 Survivors." Basically, a safe place where local Mass Effect 3 gamers can express their feelings about the ending. A lot of us have been feeling very depressed lately and I want to make sure we all get through this difficult stage in our lives.

Trying way too hard for an avatar quote

Slightly off topic, but is there a game of the year edition of the first ME which includes all DLC?

There's only two pieces of DLC for the first Mass Effect, Bring Down the Sky, and Pinnacle Station.

Bring Down the Sky is alright, and $1/80MSP/80 BioWare points

Pinnacle Station is shit and $5 /400 MSP/ 400 BioWare points

The platinum hits version of ME1 includes Bring down the Sky, all of the gamerpictures and an xbox theme. (For 360 of course)

Minion101

Banned

No, they can write themselves out of anything. Skip ahead 50,000 years and you have technology again. Maybe they found reaper artifacts? Bam! now they have Mass Relay technology. The ending we got just means a clean slate.

Pinnacle Station was free to me on Origin. Not sure why, but I definitely didn't pay for it. Anybody else get it for free?

Bring down the Sky is cool, free on PC. Webpage to get code doesn't work but you can get a universal code off the wiki.

For 360 you have to buy both, not sure how much. Probably the Spacebucks equivalent of 5 each.

Edit: If Bring Down the Sky is $1 it is definitely worth it.
Pinnacle Station is pretty meh, but it does have by far the hardest part of the game if that is your thing.

Dany

Banned
Bring Down the Sky is 1.5+ hours of content, has a meaningful story, has many choices shepard can make at the end and you get the best armor for your level as a reward and the choice you make carries over to ME2 and ME3.

Pinnacle station is just wave based combat, no story, is dull and boring.

Top Bottom