• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Haunted

I also realised that I really disliked the Crucible because it directly counters the spirit of achievement you get from rallying all the various forces together for that final battle.

So guys, what are the chances that BioWare announces DLC tomorrow and declares that the original ending of ME3 was an elaborate April Fools joke?
0%

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
My problem with the Marauder Shields meme is that when you shoot the Marauder, his shields fall and the status box says "Marauder Health". So it just bugs me.

Vee_One

Finally finished it. The ending was bad but not 'Rage' levels of bad.
I honestly don't see how they can 'fix it' with DLC

Haunted

That was basically my reaction.

I went from "the ending was inoffensive" to "the ending was not good" in the days following my playthrough but yeah, the reaction is pretty overblown. It's bad, move on, don't wait for DLC and give them more money, the next big releases are coming up.

rozay

Banned
My problem with the Marauder Shields meme is that when you shoot the Marauder, his shields fall and the status box says "Marauder Health". So it just bugs me.
it's like how dracula turns into a giant demon when you whip his head enough times in castlevania!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Would you like to take the poll?

Poll Results

ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?

Like any good final boss, he has two forms.
The only logical answer.

Sokantish

That was basically my reaction.

I went from "the ending was inoffensive" to "the ending was not good" in the days following my playthrough but yeah, the reaction is pretty overblown. It's bad, move on, don't wait for DLC and give them more money, the next big releases are coming up.

I've been in the "the ending was inoffensive" stage for the past two weeks, but I'll definitely get the DLC that they say will expand on the ending. I just want to play Mass Effect 4 though

Derrick01

Banned
So did anyone else run into a decent amount of...flickering I guess you could call it, on this game and ME2 on PC? I'm playing through 2 again for a 2nd playthrough of 3 and I'm noticing it more than normal. Tali's loyalty mission was particularly bad for whatever reason, mostly with shepard's helmet and guns on her back.

ME3 GAF Poll
What color did you pick? R/G/B? Blue
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)? Neutral
Please describe why you feel this way.
It's not a great ending and I would've liked more exposition but its not so bad that I hate it.
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No Hell no
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N? Not if its pre ending
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N Eh depends on if its good
Have you played previous ME games? Y/N? Yes
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 ? 1->2->3
Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 3

I love my new avatar.

dealwithit-liara.jpg

hlhbk

I really don't get how people can actually like the ending, at least people who have played since the start. I mean I get people being indifferent towards it or even maybe liking it if they just started with ME3 and didn't care what was going on (I mean it ended in an explosion in the colour of their choosing. Thats kinda cool isn't it? Big booms and pretty colours). I honestly don't understand how a long time ME fan (as in someone who has played and completed all 3 games, and I assume was into the series enough to buy it and complete it within the first few weeks of release) could like the ending in anyway.

Also, guy who loved it, what did you love about it? Why did you think it was so good? Did you play and enjoy the previous 2 games? What choice did you make and do you understand that the others are pretty much the same? I really am interested in trying to understand.

Before I get into this let me clarify where I stand on the ME games.

1. I have completed all the games as both a Paragon and Renegade.
2. I have read through all of the books.
3. I chose to merge the synthetics and the organics and got the green explosion.

As to why I love it? Probably because I went into the end dreading what would happen. I had the worse case scenario in mind based on all of the bashing of the ending and while I wish they would have explained more what happened to the rest of the charactersI am ok with the way Bioware chose to end the game.

What color did you pick? R/G/B Green
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent) Like

Please describe why you feel this way. See the post above
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No No
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N Yes
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N Yes only to see what Bioware does with it.
Have you played previous ME games? Y/N Yes
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3 1, 2, 3 on release day
Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1

Sallokin

What color did you pick? Red
How do you feel about the ending? Disliked
Please describe why you feel this way. Was in no way representative of the trilogy's roots in non-magical science fiction. It felt like a throw away ending that somehow got left in the game.
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No
Have you played previous ME games? Yes
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1

kurahador

I also realised that I really disliked the Crucible because it directly counters the spirit of achievement you get from rallying all the various forces together for that final battle.
hmm...What if they come up with another ending in which Shepard rejecting the star child space magic n just fight to the death.

rdrr gnr

I clicked on that, and it spoiled the end for Read Dead Redemption, awesome.

However, I liked how the woman sounded appalled that you could effectively only choose the color of the explosion. :lol

Edit: I also caught up with the poll. I didn't think there would be more than 100 people, maybe 30 or so who would do it.
Why haven't you played RDR?

this thread is getting all the attention so I'll ask here: I'm about to go to the Illusive Man's base, but I haven't been able to romance Ashley yet. I've did everything right I guess and I got a message to meet her somewhere but I can't find her anywhere. she doesn't appear in the presidium commons. is it too late by this point?

He exists to pull at your emotions, namely depressing and rage.

I haven't really played a R* game since Vice City. Now I don't need to play RDR though.

The ending is not the whole reason to play the game. It's a fantastic ending but I can play the game again no problem even knowing the ending. RDR is just a great game. Worth playing

hlhbk

The ending is not the whole reason to play the game. It's a fantastic ending but I can play the game again no problem even knowing the ending. RDR is just a great game. Worth playing

Couldn't the same be said for those who hate the ending of ME3? Even if you hate the ending the journey up till the end of was wonderfully crafted even if I hated the ending I would still love ME 3.

hateradio

I know I wouldn't be playing for the end, but I don't feel like embarking on a huge journey atm. Plus, it's not for PC, so out of the list it goes.

hlhbk

I know I wouldn't be playing for the end, but I don't feel like embarking on a huge journey atm. Plus, it's not for PC, so out of the list it goes.

RDR not being on PC was a travesty. Though if their ports of GTA IV and LA Noire were any indication of the lack of quality we would have gotten from RDR on PC I didn't want a port.

Replicant

this thread is getting all the attention so I'll ask here: I'm about to go to the Illusive Man's base, but I haven't been able to romance Ashley yet. I've did everything right I guess and I got a message to meet her somewhere but I can't find her anywhere. she doesn't appear in the presidium commons. is it too late by this point?
If you didn't meet her at commons then it's likely the romance path hasn't been properly triggered.

There was a point in the game where almost everyone asks to meet you in Citadel. This was the moment where you commit to one of the characters.

If you didn't meet her at commons then it's likely the romance path hasn't been properly triggered.

There was a point in the game where almost everyone asks to meet you in Citadel. This was the moment where you commit to one of the characters.

well balls. alright, thanks.

hateradio

RDR not being on PC was a travesty. Though if their ports of GTA IV and LA Noire were any indication of the lack of quality we would have gotten from RDR on PC I didn't want a port.
I haven't really looked into LA Noire or its port. If I had an i7, I guess I could play GTAIV.

RyanDG

Couldn't the same be said for those who hate the ending of ME3? Even if you hate the ending the journey up till the end of was wonderfully crafted even if I hated the ending I would still love ME 3.

I think endings are fairly unique in terms of a story's narrative. No matter how much you enjoyed the narrative up until the end, if the ending is bad enough (which is a task mind you - as simply a bad ending won't do it - it has to be horribly, awfully, unbelievably bad) it will retroactively sour the entire experience and leave you with a negative impression.

I would argue that the ending is easily one of the most important things in a narrative structure.

Normally that's true; the journey, not the destination, etc. It certainly is that way for me typically; it's so common for games to have bad endings. ME is different. I don't know exactly why, but this ending really is amazingly powerful in the way it can mar the whole game and series.

I'm not the only one who feels that way. This thread is full of people who can ignore poor endings but were really hit hard by this one.

If I had to guess why ME is special, I'd say it's two things. One, ME is one of the most immersive series thus forming the greatest attachment to the main character, unlike most other franchises. So to reduce him to such a weak puppet the last moment is especially hurtful. Two, even the shit endings of other games are tonally similar to the games to which they belong. The endings to the 2 main Deus Ex games are both anticlimactic and not great... but they fit. Same with Halo 3, Lost, even maybe BSG and Sopranos. In ME the ending is like it is from some other developer.

Rezbit

May as well chuck my two cents in!

ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? Blue, because I was lead to believe it was the Paragon option.
  • How do you feel about the ending? Hate.
    • Please describe why you feel this way. It throws every decision you've made over 3 long games out the window and makes you feel that all along any decision meant jack shit. Flies in the face of all the hype Bioware tried to build. No payoff whatsoever. They tell you to buy DLC at the end.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1, still the most engaging story with the greatest sense of exploration and being in a diverse galaxy.

Dany

Banned

That is why I dislike the ending, the journey of over 100+ hours of being Shepard makes this my favorite series this generation, maybe ever? I still say ME3 is the best in the trilogy in raw mechanics/story/presentation/gameplay/RPG.

I jump between mediocre and total pile of shit for L.A. Noire, the game infuriates me to no end when I remember it.

Don't play L.A. Noire. Worst purchase I've made in a while. Aside from that, you don't play games if they aren't on PC? You're missing out on so much.

Speaking of bad endings: LA Noire. There's a game where the ending definitely sours the experience; though it's really the entire last "plot" arc.

I'd say it's still worth playing. It has some interesting design and gorgeous visuals. The gaping problem is th story. It's bizarrely disjointed in a frustrating way given the vast potential there.

hateradio

Don't play L.A. Noire. Worst purchase I've made in a while. Aside from that, you don't play games if they aren't on PC? You're missing out on so much.
There's a reason I haven't looked into it. :p

I have a PS3, but have no interest in using it since it's a ticking time bomb aka 60GB fat.

Besides, I manage well enough with my PC. There are so many games to play anyway.

That is why I dislike the ending, the journey of over 100+ hours of being Shepard makes this my favorite series this generation, maybe ever? I still say ME3 is the best in the trilogy in raw mechanics/story/presentation/gameplay/RPG
Dragon Age had so much potential. </3

A single play through of Origins can land you at 100 hours, and Awakenings ads a few more. Not to mention the DLC. DA2 was a bastardization of the universe.

rdrr gnr

Speaking of bad endings: LA Noire. There's a game where the ending definitely sours the experience; though it's really the entire last "plot" arc.

I'd say it's still worth playing. It has some interesting design and gorgeous visuals. The gaping problem is th story.
Don't want to get too off topic. But no. L.A. Noire has no redeeming qualities. It was a shit game from the first minute to the very last. It would be a rip-off to pay even $10 for it. Absolutely one of the worst experiences I've ever had. If you are familiar with jett's long rant on the game, that's my sentiment x100.

Because it was discarded, because the only evidence is circumstantial, and because there's a lot of confirmation bias behind it.

What do you mean by 'it was discarded?'. The main problem with the theory is indeed that the evidence is very circumstantial, and as such it would be 'bold' of bioware to have written this ending without additional evidence that this was indeed the case.

Still, I think in spite of the evidence being weak, i still think it fits the universe better than the actual endings.

hateradio

^
Indoctrination was to play a part in the game, but ultimately it was discarded because of the mechanics. They couldn't do a good job of having Shepard being controlled or something.

Dany

Banned
Don't want to get too off topic. But no. L.A. Noire has no redeeming qualities. It was a shit game from the first minute to the very last. It would be a rip-off to pay even $10 for it. Absolutely one of the worst experiences I've ever had. If you are familiar with jett's long rant on the game, that's my sentiment x100.

Jett on a rant? You don't say! Have a link to it?

I'll only simply say, the last 1/2 of Noire is beyond shit and there are 2 instances where the game just shoots itself in the head.

DTKT

What do you mean by 'it was discarded?'. The main problem with the theory is indeed that the evidence is very circumstantial, and as such it would be 'bold' of bioware to have written this ending without additional evidence that this was indeed the case.

Still, I think in spite of the evidence being weak, i still think it fits the universe better than the actual endings.

The indoctrination was something Bioware attempted to use during ME3. It was scrapped because it was too hard to actually make. The Final Hours app mentions that.

^
Indoctrination was to play a part in the game, but ultimately it was discarded because of the mechanics of control.

Interesting. A bummer it was not implemented. I think it's a big failing of the game to not explain why shepard is seemingly immune to it. I get it, he is the hero, but still. No temptation at all? Big wasted opportunity imo.

hateradio

Interesting. A bummer it was not implemented. I think it's a big failing of the game to not explain why shepard is seemingly immune to it. I get it, he is the hero, but still. No temptation at all? Big wasted opportunity imo.
You can say that the series was a big wasted opportunity. :(

Top Bottom