• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Turns out I didn't reach the criteria from the ME2 so didn't get the paragon/renegade option. I am sad :(

At least the quarians survived this time.

Thanks for the help, heliosRAzi and Photolysis!

What did you do in ME2?

If I recall correctly, the following help achieve peace:

1. Tali is not exiled (ME2, +2)
2. Destroyed the heretic geth (ME2, +2)
3. Convinced Tali/Legion to stand down using Paragon/Renegade without taking sides (ME2, +1)
4. Saved the liveships (ME3, +1)
5. Saved Koris (ME3, +1)

You need 5 points from those to get peace, Tali needs to be an admiral, and Koris needs to be saved.

Personally, I did all those except for #2 (rewrote them) and it worked just fine.

JMizzlin

What did you do in ME2?

If I recall correctly, the following help achieve peace:

1. Tali is not exiled (ME2, +2)
2. Destroyed the heretic geth (ME2, +2)
3. Convinced Tali/Legion to stand down using Paragon/Renegade without taking sides (ME2, +1)
4. Saved the liveships (ME3, +1)
5. Saved Koris (ME3, +1)

You need 5 points from those to get peace, Tali needs to be an admiral, and Koris needs to be saved.

Personally, I did all those except for #2 (rewrote them) and it worked just fine.

I have a shocking memory, but I think Tali wasn't exiled. Not sure about the heretic geth (though if that was Legion's loyalty mission I totally did it). Also unsure about #3, but I definitely did 4 & 5 in ME3.

I'm disappointed, but at least I have enough Galaxy at War assets for the achievement.

Turns out I didn't reach the criteria from the ME2 so didn't get the paragon/renegade option. I am sad :(

At least the quarians survived this time.

Thanks for the help, heliosRAzi and Photolysis!

Can't remember that well but I'm pretty sure its not a RP choice, I sided with the Geth but then got Tali to convince the fleet to stop it's attack.

I thought there were a lot of Turians in ME2
in the Blue Suns.

You're right though, outside of Mordin's recruitment mission Turians were largely absent from ME2, which was depressing.

nel e nel

[*]What color did you pick?
Synthesis

[*]How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
Neutral
I'm in the minority of people that didn't find it terribad, and I don't think the lore was broken with the introduction of the Starchild. My only complaint is that there is no payoff for all of the War Asset setups. Where is my cut-scenes of an Elcor infantry platoon with VI laser cannons mounted to their shoulders? Where is a shot of Jack and her biotic students laying waste to a banshee? Why don't we see the only Volus dreadnaught rescuing Alliance fighters from annihilation? Where is Major Kirrahe and the STG infiltrating behind enemy lines and running interference?

[*]Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
Maybe?
It's a compelling argument, but in the end it's still speculation.

[*]In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
Yes
This is one of the few franchises that I'll buy DLC carte blanche. So they fumbled the ending; the other 149 hours and 55 minutes have been totally frickin sweet, and ME has replaced Star Wars as my favorite sci-fi universe.

[*]Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
see above

[*]Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
Yes
including Galaxies on iOS

[*]In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
1-2-3

[*]Favorite game in the trilogy?
They are all good for different reasons. 1 is the most 'pure' RPG experience, 2 is a fantastic character arc, and 3 is a great action-adventure.

Just finished a fresh ME1 playthrough last night, and 1 thing that I was reminded about during the conversation with Vigil:

The geth were never assessed for becoming a Reaper (a la organic races like Humans), instead they were being vetted to replace the Keepers as the maintainers of the Citadel. Vigil explains that when Sovereign realizes that the Keepers have been altered, they realized that organics - even ones they have genetically modified to be compliant - still have an X factor they cannot control. So who better to replace the organic Keepers than easily controlled synthetic Geth heretics?

Red

Hate

No, I see how it can work. But I think it was pure luck how it fits together nicely, bioware made a mistake and this is an out.

Yes, only if it provides proper closure or more Ashley :(

Yes, but not day one I'd wait for some impressions from actual gamers:(

YES

1-2-3

Trey

Sometimes one mistake is all it takes.

Their decisions caused a huge backlash towards Bioware from customers. They took sole responsibility for a critical part of a multi-million dollar project and they fucked it up. I see no reason not to fire them. Bioware was already suffering from a tainted reputation and Hudson and Walters dumb as shit gamble backfired in the worst way possible.

Because they're a critical component of a multi-million dollar project.

Why do people keep saying everyone died when the relays exploded? Because of the Arrival? There are key differences between the two events, and we clearly see people affected by the explosion not dead.

nel e nel

Why do people keep saying everyone died when the relays exploded? Because of the Arrival? There are key differences between the two events, and we clearly see people affected by the explosion not dead.

Not to mention that the Alpha Relay is unique among all the relays in that it can channel multiple times more dark energy than any of the others. The team on the asteroid had tweaked the relay's settings in order to bring about this dark energy concentration.

masseffectwiki said:
but if certain controls are adjusted, it becomes powered by an unprecedented amount of dark energy that could send cargo to sixteen other relays and even

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_Relay

No one should be fired, buuuuuuuuut EA should have now take the reigns of quality control, BW should be treated like a teenager who just forgot to lock the garage door letting the family's car get stolen.

EA is not the solution. They are the problem.

The problem is Synthesis, the two were too different, EA was king of making the same game each year and selling millions of them through brute force, and BW was a company who made games that needed the player to be involved, to keep up with the story and mechanics, games that would sell well through word of mouth, fan trust and eventually pedigree.

I don't see EA as being the big bad here, I think BW wanted to play on the biggest field they could and was willing to sacrifice everything that got them there in the first place.

EA was happy so long as they got to sell DLC on day on, and have a MP to use in PR, they were so happy they forgot to keep the writing in check, I would rather a suit have forced them to play safe then end up with the faux philosophical crap we got.

Zomba13

Well... That isn't entirely true. In at least one ending it causes massive destruction (scorching Earth, destroying ships etc).

Bowdz

Well... That isn't entirely true. In at least one ending it causes massive destruction (scorching Earth, destroying ships etc).

We actually don't see the aftermath of the relay explosion at all (except when Shepard lives which is debatable depending on your stance on IT). We see that the Crucible's energy blast doesn't kill everyone on Earth (except for the lowest EMS ending), but the cutscene never cuts back to Earth after the Relay explodes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

And the reason it does makes no sense. :p

"Oh, you have shitty military strenght? Okay, the Mass Relay's explosion will destroy everything."

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
A poll!
  1. What color did you pick?
    BLUE
  2. How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    Hate
  3. Please describe why you feel this way.
    I agree with most of the complaints that have already been covered on the Internet. Completely ignoring or insufficiently showing the results of your major decisions throughout the trilogy; the irrelevance of your war assets; the rather lackluster final fight of the game; the lack of any interaction with Harbinger; the ending plotholes that make no sense; the Crucible's SPACE MAGIC that also happened to destroy the mass relays and screw all civilized life in the galaxy; Joker and crew running away for no reason; the Star Child's existence and the Reapers' reasoning making no sense; the lack of an option for Shepard to argue with the Star Child's reasoning and find his own way. There are more, but take your pick.
  4. Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
    No
  5. In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
    No. Absolutely not.
  6. Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
    No. Absolutely not.
  7. Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
    Yes
  8. In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
    1-2-3
  9. Favorite game in the trilogy?

DTKT

We don't know if the Relays exploding kills everything. They can easily say it doesn't by invoking space magic.

That's not the main reason why the ending is dumb. I don't understand why everyone keeps bringing it up. :|

We don't know if the Relays exploding kills everything. They can easily say it doesn't by invoking space magic.

That's not the main reason why the ending is dumb. I don't understand why everyone keeps bringing it up. :|

Because it goes against established canon, but yeah, on the hierarchy of things, it's not as big. I personally think that Bioware forgot about the Arrival and overlooked this detail. For me, the biggest thing about the ending besides introducing the Catalyst in the last few minutes of the game is the thematic shift. It just goes against everything the games were about.

Zomba13

But it is a reason why it sucks. The fact that we don't have a clue what it even does. In the worst ending the Crucible explosion kills everyone on Earth and if we assume that the relay explosions are the same then the galaxy is scorched too. but then some of the 'bad' versions of the other (I think red and blue) destroy Big Ben somehow so could they also maybe kill some people/ships?

We just don't even really know the outcome of what choice we did. And then the whole EMS thing somehow having an effect on what the beam does.

megalowho

Blue.

Dislike.
Bad ending, but lots of good games have bad endings. Over it now. Most disappointed that it confirmed they were making it up as they went along instead of jumping into the series with a strong story arc already in mind.

No. Though it could have been a neat idea to build the game around.

Probably not. Already finished it.

Not buy. Would download for free out of curiosity.

Yes.

1-2-3

ME2

nel e nel

Because it goes against established canon, but yeah, on the hierarchy of things, it's not as big. I personally think that Bioware forgot about the Arrival and overlooked this detail. For me, the biggest thing about the ending besides introducing the Catalyst in the last few minutes of the game is the thematic shift. It just goes against everything the games were about.

Ahem:

Not to mention that the Alpha Relay is unique among all the relays in that it can channel multiple times more dark energy than any of the others. The team on the asteroid had tweaked the relay's settings in order to bring about this dark energy concentration.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_Relay

This is established in The Arrival.

Why are so many people struggling with a relatively open ending.
Because it is too open

Ahem:

This is established in The Arrival.

Untitled-6.png

There is no established canon to how the crucible affects mass relays, because it has literally never happened before.
And that's why it should be explained and not left up to speculation. It comes off as an ass pull. And space magic.

A big fat lol at the people who want two teammembers to be fired because they did not like the ending. And then they whine about being called entitled.

The people demand blood... Let the streets run red!

It really is ridiculous. I totally agree with the majority that the ending blows, but I don't get the raising money and demanding people lose theur jobs stuff.

Fathead

Why are so many people struggling with a relatively open ending.

Its not the fact that its an open ending, its the fact that the game was one thing for almost 200 hours and then became something else entirely in the last 10 minutes. Its the fact that these last 10 minutes make no logical sense whatsoever, and the fact that Bioware flat out made lazy mistakes about the ending (the why is joker looking over his shoulder to see the space magic, or how did my squadmates make it back to the Normandy and so on).

Character introductions, lack of dialogue options, nonsensical and unexplained choices that end in a cinematic that doesn't change due to choices other than color, blatant ignorance of in universe canon, and lack of any and all explanation of what happened equal a total shitstorm of upset people.

I can love unhappy endings. Reach has a very sad ending, and I loved it. I wouldn't have minded if Shepard didn't make it. Hell, I didn't expect him/her to make it. I expected to be sad and to lose important people. This ending, however, isn't an unhappy ending. It isn't a happy ending. Its a giant middle finger to everyone who spent time and money over 5 years on this universe, because they killed the whole damn thing and didn't even bother to explain it.

Also, its a hell of a bait and switch when you design the ending of ME2 (despite what problems it may have) around making the right choices and the consequences of not doing so, all culminating in how well your squad (and even you) come out of the deal, to then act (and say) ME3 will have similar consequences when in reality it is a choice between R,G,B. This is the greatest troll job in the history of videogames. Bioware managed to sucker all of us for 5 years and 3 games only to go Yakety Sax on us in the last 10 minutes.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Following the series' own lore, most people would die even if the relays destruction didn't cause a supernova. Most planets like earth/thessia/etc. dont have nearly the amount of resouces to provide for themselves, so they rely on colonies like eden prime for resources. How would earth feed its populations (not to mention all those stuck in the sol system) if it cant get to places like eden prime in a realistic time frame. So they would starve to death.

Basically, most of the galaxy would still die, just far more slowly and painfully.

Well, this seems to be downward spiraling into Who Has Better Confirmation Bias, so I'll just say 'You Win'.

Kay. All I am saying is that if you say that when A happens, B occurs, you have to give an explanation when B doesn't occur. Otherwise, it's comes off as an ass pull.

I'm perfectly happy with the relays just exploding harmlessly (relatively)

Lime

Kay. All I am saying is that if you say that when A happens, B occurs, you have to give an explanation when B doesn't occur. Otherwise, it's comes off as an ass pull.

I'm perfectly happy with the relays just exploding harmlessly (relatively)

nel el nel and Bioware are inductive scepticists, confirmed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Well then why is Joker's ship getting damaged and trying to run from the blast? oh shit looks like another massive plot hole.

nel e nel

nel el nel and Bioware are inductive scepticists, confirmed.

lol!

Yeah, I tend to need more than 1 instance of an occurrence to draw a concrete conclusion. I mean, destroying a super-charged relay with a ginormous asteroid at ramming speed just might produce different results than a space magic explosion originating from an untested alien weapon.

Still doesn't explain why Liara got off the Normandy when she was at my side during Operation Hammer though. :p

MYeager

Following the series' own lore, most people would die even if the relays destruction didn't cause a supernova. Most planets like earth/thessia/etc. dont have nearly the amount of resouces to provide for themselves, so they rely on colonies like eden prime for resources. How would earth feed its populations (not to mention all those stuck in the sol system) if it cant get to places like eden prime in a realistic time frame. So they would starve to death.

Basically, most of the galaxy would still die, just far more slowly and painfully.

Destroying the Alpha Relay and blocking the Citadel Relay didn't slow down the Reapers too much, and according to the lore they were traveling from dark space. Travel would take more time, but it's not out of the question.

lol!

Yeah, I tend to need more than 1 instance of an occurrence to draw a concrete conclusion.

In the real world, that would make sense, but this is fiction. A fabricated universe thought up by people to entertain other people. To make this universe seem more believable, the established rules set forth by the creators have to be adhered to. If something breaks those rules, it should be explained.

This whole thing could be explained with just a couple of lines.

Destroying the Alpha Relay and blocking the Citadel Relay didn't slow down the Reapers too much, and according to the lore they were traveling from dark space. Travel would take more time, but it's not out of the question.
Going to other clusters is pretty much out of the question. Going to other systems in the cluster would be more feasible, but still difficult. Why? Because of the lack of fuel. The Reapers destroyed a lot of the fuel depots when they invaded and it takes a lot of fuel to just go to a different system in the same cluster.

There is also the fact that ships have to discharge static electricity within a planet's magnetic field or else the crew would get cooked alive. With the vast emptiness of space, ships run the risk of overheating before discharge.

Fathead

Except that takes massive amounts of fuel, and the Reapers destroyed the fuel infastructure first. Add in the fact that the Reapers seem to have much faster FTL than anyone else....

MYeager

Going to other clusters is pretty much out of the question. Going to other systems in the cluster would be more feasible, but still difficult. Why? Because of the lack of fuel. The Reapers destroyed a lot of the fuel depots when they invaded and it takes a lot of fuel to just go to a different system in the same cluster.

There is also the fact that ships have to discharge static electricity within a planet's magnetic field or else the crew would get cooked alive. With the vast emptiness of space, ships run the risk of overheating before discharge.

The Migrant Fleet must have managed this somehow, given that they're constantly moving with the largest fleet in the galaxy.

nel e nel

In the real world, that would make sense, but this is fiction. A fabricated universe thought up by people to entertain other people. To make this universe seem more believable, the established rules set forth by the creators have to be adhered to. If something breaks those rules, it should be explained.

This whole thing could be explained with just a couple of lines.

Would now be a good time to announce my candidacy for Citadel Council?

30367.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Migrant Fleet must have managed this somehow, given that they're constantly moving with the largest fleet in the galaxy.

Because they enter systems from time to time to get the fuel. And they make heavy use of mass relays. And they arent constantly moving. They often sit in a system for a while. And they didnt have the entire fuel infrastructure pew pewed to bits by death machines before.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well, this seems to be downward spiraling into Who Has Better Confirmation Bias, so I'll just say 'You Win'.

Seems pretty clear to me. Just cause the Alpha Relay causes a bigger explosion doesnt mean the other relays wouldnt cause massive devastation as well.

Top Bottom