• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

pakkit

Banned
These aren't journalists. Gaming writers are disguising op-eds as news, and then failing to actually reach out and seek quotes from the gaming community. It's not that this couldn't be an interesting read. How did we come to this point? Why did this ending in particular yield such a thorough negative response? I didn't even really hate the ending that much, but I'd sure like to know from a more objective, outsider stand point how this looks.

But no, instead we'll just continue to drive a wedge between videogame critics and gamers/real video game journalism.

Venfayth

I didn't mind the ending I picked. It could have been better, for sure. But I don't mind it. It was absolutely sloppy and poorly done, but again, I don't mind it.

Certainly not returning the game over it, or even recommending people not play the game. The entire time up until the end I was having a fucking blast, the ending tarnishes it SLIGHTLY but the end is not the only thing that matters.

That's my $.02

Derrick01

Banned
When he first showed up I thought they had made a joke character about Adam Jensen

He should have been the final boss as the ultimate indoctrinated Reaper agent.

"I'm sorry Shepard. I...didn't ask for this."

Of course he would win though because he's not a pussy like Kai Leng.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yeah it was pretty clear Bioware was tired and wanted to leave everyone in the rain by bailing out with the only car available. The question is does being tired of the franchise excuse the lazy and poor writing? Probably not if you're going to charge people money and go out and say things in interviews that are blatant lies.
I think whoever is responsible for the end believes it to be good. He, she, or they have blinders on, because there was really only one option in the end, and nothing else affected it. They completely relegated everything they did in ME2 (suicide mission) for a worthless, five-minute conversation.

Omega

Banned
I wish they did something better with Udina. He was always a prick, but an understandable one, that’s until he teamed up with the monstrous Cerberus troops. I understand it was suppose to be an act of desperation to rally control over the citadel in a time of war, but c’mon Udina cannot be that stupid. He should have had an idea of how unstable Cerberus were becoming.

I think Udina was always with Cerberus.

Cerberus has agents that work their way up. You never expect them because they never show any signs until the right moment.

It's been awhile since I read the books but I believe that's how Grayson became the head of some big business.

MedHead

Why do some guns have bayonet attachments that increase melee damage when Shepard uses an omni-tool to stab people?

There's a standard melee option and an omni-tool "heavy melee" option in Mass Effect 3. Tap the melee button to beat the enemy with your gun, and hold it down to stab them with your omni-tool.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Welcome, welcome. There's a seat somewhere in this already packed bandwagon.

But it amuses me that many people always go "Pfft, how bad can the ending be?" at first then they see the ending and went "0_o* @#&$!! HOW COULD THEY?!!!".

I went into expecting a horrible unfinished ending.

I thought "Okay, I really enjoyed KOTOR 2 so this can't be that bad."

I don't think you can really prepare people for that kind of awful...once you experience it, you just know the horribleness of it all.

Omega

Banned
Welcome, welcome. There's a seat somewhere in this already packed bandwagon.

But it amuses me that many people always go "Pfft, how bad can the ending be?" at first then they see the ending and went "0_o* @#&$!! HOW COULD THEY?!!!".

Haha yeah, that's what I first though. I was like "everyone's probably just mad it didn't end the way they wanted too."

Then it ends, and I just sat staring at the credits thinking did I really just see that?

flyover

I think some people did want a happy, positive ending. However, those (news) critics who focus only their opinions on that crowd miss the point. We didn't want a happy ending, we wanted an ingeniously extraordinary finale.
Hell, I would have settled for trite-but-logical.

I'm sure this has all been rehashed a thousand times, but I just finished tonight and was shocked how the last 10 minutes marred the good will the games had built up. I knew people were mad about the ending, but I was pretty sure I wouldn't mind it. I was so wrong.

None of the final choices reflected the Shepard I'd been playing for the past several years. Not even close. That was my biggest problem with it. Paragon and renegade Sheps alike would have told God Kid to fuck right off, and then found a better solution than the three crap options.

And you know what? A small, happy ending would have been a nice option for those people who spent their time being a good guy (or woman), cultivating relationships, bringing disparate races together, and saving the goddamn galaxy. What's so wrong with that?

abrack08

So, I wasn't on GAF when the whole beta/story leak thing happened in November. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the leaked info and actual game differ, but I can't find the leaked information anywhere online. I assume it's ok to talk about it now, since the game is already out, right? Does anyone know?

Omega

Banned
So, I wasn't on GAF when the whole beta/story leak thing happened in November. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the leaked info and actual game differ, but I can't find the leaked information anywhere online. I assume it's ok to talk about it now, since the game is already out, right? Does anyone know?

If I'm not mistaken, everything was just a dream.

You wake up back in the medbay after you triggered the Eden Prime beacon. It was bad, but better than this.

flyover

Ha! This was me, exactly. I really thought it would be fine. I figured people were probably mad because the ending was short or a little lackluster. Oh, how wrong I was.

hateradio

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...nged-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

I have several other links and stuff here: http://massdeflect.tumblr.com/

I need more submissions!

And you know what? A small, happy ending would have been a nice option for those people who spent their time being a good guy (or woman), cultivating relationships, bringing disparate races together, and saving the goddamn galaxy. What's so wrong with that?
Nothing at all. You were simply given the kill switch, so everything else had to go out the window. The end.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
A new generation of people can now empathize with old-school Star Wars fans. Thanks to Bioware.

Imagine if Lucas had ended ROTJ with Luke jumping down the central shaft and killing himself to turn everyone into Light/Dark side combos.

Oh and you can't "jump to lightspeed" anymore.

That would still have less plot holes to deal with than Mass Effect 3's ending.

GSR

Thinking about the ending, I can almost let the lack of resolution for the characters and galaxy pass. On reflection, it seems likely that they were trying to paint ME3 as a whole as the player's opportunity to see their choices play out, and up until the final mission they did do that pretty well, especially for smaller things. The trouble is that this assumes people will be happy with "oh we resolved big conflict X, things'll be great in the future but for now we'll put that all on backburner to fight the Reapers." For instance, Tali mentions the Quarians and Geth reintegrating if you make peace with them, but you never actually get to see that for yourself, and for a lot of people (myself included) that feels like a cop-out.

This does of course all put aside the actual ending shattering the Mass Effect universe's society beyond any recognition (and the universe itself if you buy the relays taking out their systems with them), effectively nullifying the vast majority of said choices, but there's not really any way to paint that in a good light.

Omega

Banned
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/s...nged-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/

I have several other links and stuff here: http://massdeflect.tumblr.com/

I need more submissions!

Nothing at all. You were simply given the kill switch, so everything else had to go out the window. The end.

=|

I thought I was the only one that forgot about the Haestrom thing with dark energy. I assumed it was addressed in ME2 but I didn't pay attention because I really didn't like the game at all.

All this stuff makes me more sad/angry/disappointed in BioWare.

Imagine if Lucas had ended ROTJ with Luke jumping down the central shaft and killing himself to turn everyone into Light/Dark side combos.

Oh and you can't "jump to lightspeed" anymore.

That would still have less plot holes to deal with than Mass Effect 3's ending.

The Emperor shows up on the forest moon of Endor, zaps Luke with Force lightning, then disappears for the rest of the movie without ever speaking a single line.

Han, Leia, 3PO, and R2 all show up for no reason on the Millennium Falcon, which is fleeing the Battle of Endor for some reason, when they're knocked out of hyperspace. They show up on the abandoned Yavin IV and smile despite not knowing what the hell just happened.

Darth Vader just sort of goes "oh man you're right" and offs himself.

Luke is given three options by a hologram of that one dead Ewok. It was so sad guys, even more sad than Owen and Beru or Ben or Yoda dying, he just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The Emperor shows up on the forest moon of Endor, zaps Luke with Force lightning, then disappears for the rest of the movie without ever speaking a single line.

Han, Leia, 3PO, and R2 all show up for no reason on the Millennium Falcon, which is fleeing the Battle of Endor for some reason, when they're knocked out of hyperspace. They show up on the abandoned Yavin IV and smile despite not knowing what the hell just happened.

Luke is given three options by a hologram of that one dead Ewok. It was so sad guys, even more sad than Owen and Beru or Ben or Yoda dying, he just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Obligatory repost of this for the new people who weren't in the last thead -

RsAUv.jpg

That last line sums up so perfectly how I feel about this ending.

Toski

This post brings up the question of is the ending bad or badly told? I know most will say both, but the serious lack of explanation for anything regarding the Catalyst and the decisions seems to create the hate.

Add to that the random assortment of scenes, all 3 paths being largely the same and it looks to me that either Bioware and/or the Mass Effect writers couldn't be assed to create a satisfactory explanation for the ending.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah, wait a minute. Why was my decision to control the reapers followed by Shepards death? HOW IS ME CHOOSING TO HAVE SHEPARD CONTROL THE REAPERS KILLING HIM?

DOESNT HE NEED TO BE ALIVE TO CONTROL THEM?

ARGGGG

hateradio

Yeah, wait a minute. Why was my decision to control the reapers followed by Shepards death? HOW IS ME CHOOSING TO HAVE SHEPARD CONTROL THE REAPERS KILLING HIM?

ARGGGG
He becomes an AI or something.

This scene brought to you by Space Magic(TM).

The only option in which he may survive is Destroy.

rdrr gnr

I feel bad for
Tricia Helfer.
She had to relive the plot from BS:G, expect the writing this time around was unequivocally terrible.

Dresden

ARGGGG

I think Kubo would've written a better ending.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think Kubo would've written a better ending.
On a forum, everyone matters, even if you consider their opinion or manner to be "trolling," every post in some form shares a meaning to the topic. In 100 years, all this topic will be is an archive of memories and experiences we shared together - that is, if it survives. By that point, we'll be dead. Without these forums, our thoughts, opinions, and experiences will just fade out of existence. Personally, I'm not too keen about that, and I hope no one else is either.

So no, I won't report you.

ARGGGG

Because the writers wanted a false sense of ultimate sacrifice. Nothing says that like taking control of giant killing machines! Would of been better if after he controlled them, Shepard just put on his best troll face then proceeded to continue attacking everyone.

hateradio

Because the writers wanted a false sense of ultimate sacrifice. Nothing says that like taking control of giant killing machines! Would of been better if after he controlled them, Shepard just put on his best troll face then proceeded to continue attacking everyone.
I never asked for this! What did you make me do, you assholes! You scumbag, pieces of crap! What the hell! Why am I a Reaper. You bastards didn't even believe in these things, and now I've become one of them! Son of a fuck! Mother fucks! I -- I will destroy you!

Whats wrong with this theory, again? And can someone try to form a response that doesn't deflect on the writers/Hudson/bioware. Just speaking in terms of the game? What
You mean the same kind of deflection they do?

hateradio

I mean explain all the plot holes.
Which ones? The only issue that comes to mind is Joker's space flight continuum. That's the only thing that's unanswerable.

Besides, why would Shepard have a dream in which Joker's ditching him/her? It's more logical that Joker had reason to leave. We don't know why, and we never will. It's probably a remnant of a time when the writers had him rescue everyone.

LegoArmo

I mean, I think it's a cool idea, and it definitely seems like a possibility, but I won't believe for a second that BioWare meant it. Which would sort of sour the idea if they then ran with it for the DLC.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Which ones? The only issue that comes to mind is Joker's space flight continuum. That's the only thing that's unanswerable.

Besides, why would Shepard have a dream in which Joker's ditching him/her? It's more logical that Joker had reason to leave. We don't know why, and we never will.
Nothing about the child creating synthetics to kill organics so that they don't create synthetics that will kill organics makes sense.

Or the fact that this child is introduced in the last 3 minutes of an entire series.

Top Bottom