• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Damn, this is a pretty decent idea for justification for the Reapers... should have done something where you learned that the Reapers were originally an organic race who multiplied rapidly and nearly expunged all the galaxy's resources before reaching a singularity, and now their goals are to make sure this doesn't happen by 'pruning' sufficiently advanced species. Would have been much better than the explanation we got.

Also I'd have loved a scene where you see spirits of a bunch of races from pre-Prothian cycles (the Inusannon for instance) and they urge you forward.

It is a great idea, and a great article. I really wish this is what bioware had gone for.

nel e nel

The neutral response made sense in the other games; it doesn't, however, make sense to remove it at this state, even if there is a war. To me it seems like another casualty to which they didn't have enough resources to dedicate.

I don't think that the ends would have to be positive or negative or neutral, since the current ending(s) already ignores how you've been responding to the situation.

It made sense, but it was ultimately unnecessary fat. Having done full Paragon, full Renegade and full Neutral runs on ME1, the middle option was almost always an exact repeat of either the Paragon or Renegade dialog, and would net you zero Paragon/Renegade points. In ME2, choosing Neutral was handled a bit better as you would get a mix of Paragon & Renegade points (i.e. 2 of each instead of 4 of one).

Since they overhauled the Par/Ren system in ME3 and made it a simple notoriety meter, it wasn't needed at all. I missed it at first, but after the first hour or so, didn't even notice it was gone.

Rubezh

None of these theories are interesting. They are desperate drivel that's even more insulting than the actual ending itself.

I subscribe to the Intoxication Theory whereby Hudson and Walters locked themselves in a room, drank copious amounts of alcohol, and then proceeded to write the ending in what can only be described as a confusing blur of events.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If you say so.

They're fun to speculate on but the only reason people come up with them is to fill in the massive, massive holes in the hopeless ending that BioWare shat out. If the ending made the slightest lick of sense nobody would come up with these things.

Toth

My name is Toth. I finished ME3. Please allow me to join your group....

Seriously though, from the ending was I correct to understand that:

1. The Catalyst feels all organic life will be destroyed by synthetic life with certainty.

"The created will rise against their creators..."

2. His solution: Every 50,000 years or so, all advanced civilization need to be 'harvested' to ensure synthetic life development is kept in check. Non-advanced civilization are spared and eventually become the next advanced civilization to be harvested in the next cycle.

3. Said harvested races are made into Reapers and join the 'family' so to speak, ready to harvest the next cycle for the Catalyst. Harvested humans and aliens are processed into that horrific 'goo' and used to make Reapers based on the races' images.

4. Chaos is prevented and the universe is kept in a static, never ending cycle of death and rebirth.

I believe this is very close to the religions of India which talked about the universe being destroyed and reborn countless times.

It's okay, The Maker will bring him back.

Great Maker!

ActsofsacrificeLondoVir01.jpg

TheYanger

Thinking of the ending Faunt's track...

I do *like* "Das Malefitz", but I'd have thought that "Instantly Loved (Set Transition)" would have worked better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Vwfue7P14
From about 05:00 onward anyway.

Eh, this doesn't seem remotely as good for an end credits song. I think aside from the fact that I'd have liked a song with lyrics again (since faunts pt 2 had em), Das Malefitz perfectly brought back the same feelings/style as Faunts. Of course, the main issue is that by the time the credits pop up in 3 you're in stunned displeasure as opposed to being all amped up like the first time.

Randdalf

Eh, this doesn't seem remotely as good for an end credits song. I think aside from the fact that I'd have liked a song with lyrics again (since faunts pt 2 had em), Das Malefitz perfectly brought back the same feelings/style as Faunts. Of course, the main issue is that by the time the credits pop up in 3 you're in stunned displeasure as opposed to being all amped up like the first time.

ME1's credits blew me away, I didn't realise ME3's credits were Faunts as well.

TheYanger

ME1's credits blew me away, I didn't realise ME3's credits were Faunts as well.

I think everyone loved ME1's credits, but it had as much to do with being COMPLETELY SATISFIED with the ending imo. The song was epic and perfect. I think Das Malefitz would be just as fitting had the ending not sucked, so when the credits roll you're just kind of confused and disoriented.

Samara

I think everyone loved ME1's credits, but it had as much to do with being COMPLETELY SATISFIED with the ending imo. The song was epic and perfect. I think Das Malefitz would be just as fitting had the ending not sucked, so when the credits roll you're just kind of confused and disoriented.

ha ha very true. All I could think about was "whoa, wait....no"

I don't agree on a reboot but a re-release of ME1 with ME3's new improvement? Oh hell yes.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Reading those comments...

I didn't hate the ending of BSG. I really didn't. I hated the use of stock footage for the
time transition
, but not necessarily what happened to the characters. Should I, in theory, have the same level of disappointment?
I was disappointed with BSG's end. It just seemed so unfulfilled.

I feel like now is the time to talk about how much Shepard's decisions affected the battle.
His/her contributions to the universe were greatly important in the final non-battle against the Reaper's commander.

ha ha very true. All I could think about was "whoa, wait....no"

I don't agree on a reboot but a re-release of ME1 with ME3's new improvement? Oh hell yes.

I'd definitely play that. One thing that put me off playing ME1 for myself after coming in at ME2 was the combat and inventory system. Fix those and it would be a solid purchase for me.

That said, they'd need to re-record a lot of the dialogue to bring it up to the standards in later games. Several of the VAs saw massive improvements in their acting over the course of the series. Yes I know there's still room for improvement as of ME3!

If they did ever go down this route then it would also be nice if they went over combat in ME2 to bring it up to ME3's standards. Maybe release it as a trilogy collection or something.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do that and give some variety to the planet dungeons/sidequests and you'd have the best RPG to ever come from the west.

They would have to give the speed and agility of the Hammerhead to the Mako to make the barren planets a little less painful. :p

Do that and give some variety to the planet dungeons/sidequests and you'd have the best RPG to ever come from the west.

the sidequests in ME1 never made me realize I was bored with them. I reached that point in ME2 about halfway through. I reached it for Cerberus missions in ME3 quite fast.
ME1 has some good degree of variation between fetchquests, confrontations and 'wipe em out' missions. It's far less in the sequels, which are basically all 'just shoot it' and fetchquest.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
the sidequests in ME1 never made me realize I was bored with them. I reached that point in ME2 about halfway through. I reached it for Cerberus missions in ME3 quite fast.
ME1 has some good degree of variation between fetchquests, confrontations and 'wipe em out' missions. It's far less in the sequels, which are basically all 'just shoot it' and fetchquest.

ME1 also really loved horror and mystery missions. The drives in between areas sort of built a little suspense.

Rufus

Agreed. The real question:

Overheating or Thermal Clips?
Overheating. There were clips everywhere in ME3, to the point where you have to wonder what they were there for. I maybe ran out of ammo once, but since I had other weapons too that was no big issue. I was playing a soldier, too.
Plus, the explanation is daft. You don't 'solve' a heat problem by introducing a potential supply constraint.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't want to post this in the official thread because this will be my third post in a row but this game gives me huge Arrival vibes. Bleh.

Rapstah

I don't want to post this in the official thread because this will be my third post in a row but this game gives me huge Arrival vibes. Bleh.

Arrival was pretty damn polished in what it was trying to do. All enemies had special names, textures and voice clips for the setting. It properly introduced an ally, and then had a decent twist and a decent enemy. It had Harbinger's voice actor in two major roles. It had the cool concept of the countdown and the non-standard game over. Batarians are awesome.

It wasn't as good as Mass Effect 2 in general, but I would much rather play it than most missions in ME3. ME3 as a whole beats it, but they really don't compare in that fashion.

Dany

Banned
Overheating. There were clips everywhere in ME3, to the point where you have to wonder what they were there for. I maybe ran out of ammo once, but since I had other weapons too that was no big issue. I was playing a soldier, too.
Plus, the explanation is daft. You don't 'solve' a heat problem by introducing a potential supply constraint.

The combat appears more 'visceral; if you image there is a supply constraint, plus that audio que when you reload...sooogood.

In ME1, you could add 2 Thermal Dampener X and you would NEVER have to reload, making combat cheaper than it already was.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Arrival was pretty damn polished in what it was trying to do. All enemies had special names, textures and voice clips for the setting. It properly introduced an ally, and then had a decent twist and a decent enemy. It had Harbinger's voice actor in two major roles. It had the cool concept of the countdown and the non-standard game over. Batarians are awesome.

It wasn't as good as Mass Effect 2 in general, but I would much rather play it than most missions in ME3. ME3 as a whole beats it, but they really don't compare in that fashion.

I saw that "twist" coming from the moment I saved the bitch. The Reaper was written badly. "AUAUARGAHAHAA, I'M A MONSTER I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL SOMEDAY". Compare it to the cold and self-assured speech of The Reaper from ME1. And yes, the major choice which was made for me.

Sounds like ME3 to me so far.

Rapstah

I saw that "twist" coming from the moment I saved the bitch. The Reaper was written badly. "AUAUARGAHAHAA, I'M A MONSTER I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL SOMEDAY". Compare it to the cold and self-assured speech of The Reaper from ME1. And yes, the major choice which was made for me.

Sounds like ME3 to me so far.

It played poorly with themes its game had introduced rather than poorly introducing new themes.

Arrival seemed to have a really weak justification if I recall correctly - I only watched a playthrough of it because I refused to purchase it - but how did anyone know that the Reapers were going to arrive through the Alpha Relay at a specific time?

Yeah there was some Reaper artifact but why would what effectively amounts to a Reaper-produced countdown clock even exist?

There was a bunch of other stupid stuff in there, but that particular plot point always struck me as the most egregious.

EDIT: Unrelated, but if you want to solve the lack of banter in engineering if you left Ash as a smoking crater on Virmire, Gibbed's got you covered. See the bottom of this page for the details.

Arrival seemed to have a really weak justification if I recall correctly - I only watched a playthrough of it because I refused to purchase it - but how did anyone know that the Reapers were going to arrive through the Alpha Relay at a specific time?

Yeah there was some Reaper artifact but why would what effectively amounts to a Reaper-produced countdown clock even exist?

There was a bunch of other stupid stuff in there, but that particular plot point always struck me as the most egregious.

EDIT: Unrelated, but if you want to solve the lack of banter in engineering if you left Ash as a smoking crater on Virmire, Gibbed's got you covered. See the bottom of this page for the details.

In-game it was explained that the Artifact was emitting signals to the Reapers on regular intervals that decreased with time. The science team assumed that when the interval became constant, the Reapers would arrive.

That certainly didn't feel that way in my play through. I frequently ran out of ammo (and tis' not like i was aiming like shit, more like some enemies were bullet sponges - brutes, banshees, and geth primes in particular). There was some fun to be had running around looking for ammo.

natasi

Neo Member
I was actually curious as to how the arrival dlc was explained to players who didn't buy it. I was pretty sure they still attributed the action to Shepard, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You guys should use the Particle rifle. It's a game breaker.

Eh, used it for party members but I am not fond on using it with Shepard. Takes too many precious times to get full power and by that time Shepard is usually getting barraged by bullets already. Especially in higher difficulties.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If that's what the artifact did, what was the point of Sovereign?
We should try to piece together the whys.

Sovereign attempted to capture the Citadel.
The Citadel no longer emits signals to the reapers, because the Keepers were altered by the Protheans.
Sovereign was probably a scout.
If it captured the Citadel it would call the other Reapers?
The emitter in Arrival is like a backup/alternate.

I was actually curious as to how the arrival dlc was explained to players who didn't buy it. I was pretty sure they still attributed the action to Shepard, though.

Actually is isn't, if you didn't play arrival, your Shepard never goes there, instead the 103rd Marine Division does it and takes heavy losses, so you lose war asset points.

I like how not playing Arrival delays the Reapers by one month but playing Arrival delays the Reapers by 6...and there is absolutely no difference.

Top Bottom