• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Darte

I was surprised at the number of glitches myself.

Notably the shepard and liara conversation early on where they get locked onto glyph :lol

But whats more amazing is, the first time i entered the citadel, I barely took a step and i fell through the world ._.

So to get away from ending chat, let's tally up all the glitches we got.

I got:

-Broken quest markers (various sidequests)
-Reloading after a crash, spawn underneath the level to fall into infinity (Tuchanka bomb mission)
-Invisible people (The merc prisoner on the monitor, the guy who wanted to kill the C-Sec traitor, Garrus on Jacob's sidequest ["Nice to see you" says Jacob to wall], I think I was supposed to see Kai Leng decloak or something after the Udina coup, since it lingered on a shot of a railing)]
-Broken quest (the Harvesters in the second half of the Primarch's son mission never loaded, forcing me to restart the mission)
-Gabby and Ken having barely any dialogue (apparently a glitch that happens if Ashley is dead in your game)
-Recon Hood crazy eyes
-Doctor Chakwas why are you standing in that table
-Infinitely descending Cerberus troops (AKA frozen in their "slowing descent" pose)
-A freaky part where I skipped the end of a line when the Asari Councilor was asking me to go to Thessia, and the camera kept moving but Shepard and her suddenly went into default animation poses and froze
-Minos Wasteland infinitely blinking with no missions
-Liara's monitors flipped the fuck out whenever I turned around, causing them to spin in every direction
-Frequently got stuck in the cockpit while running back and forth and talking to Joker and EDI
-Something in the final London prep scene where I would get stuck in place for a second while Shepard's head moved around like crazy (near the guy advising the marine over the radio)
-Random disconnect from servers, causing my Readiness to drop to 0%, which multiplied by my War Assets to give me 0 EMS

I think that's it. There were a bunch of crashes leading to black screens with music playing, but I'm not sure if that was the game or me.

Aside from many of the glitches you mentioned (getting stuck in the cockpit was a serious annoyance. Eventually I just started saving before I walked into the cockpit.), I also noticed a bug with Tali in the War Room. If you initiate a conversation with Tali while she's typing at her monitor, she'll turn around to face you. After finishing the conversation, she won't turn away from you to face the monitor, and will resume typing on the air.
I saw this as well, but it's amusing enough that I might let it slide as a feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAr0b8pgBPQ

spekkeh

Banned
I didn't have much actual bugs, but did notice dialogue being cut off halfway or not playing at all (luckily I always have subtitles on for these cases), and saw characters jump between animation frames or to the other side of the room during cutscenes. Overall it felt much less finished than ME2. (xbox 360)

My wife had one freeze and got stuck in scenery two times. She always has these problems a lot more than I do, I chalk it down to me having much more game experience, and knowing when not to exert the engine.

Some of your questions have been answered by the panel QA. The relays have been "disabled". They didn't go nova like in Arrival so most of the Galaxy is still there.
This is such fucking bullshit when you see them explode. With, like, fireballs. And bits of them flying off into space.

Rodhull

Yeah at this point it's hard to tell if they're going to start retconning stuff like the relays or whether they just laid out the finale so poorly that it implied a ton of things that they never meant.

Gui_PT

Guys what you..saw exploding was... the uhm.. the outer shell of the relays. And there's like a smaller relay inside the relays so you can relay while you relay.

It's like the ship at the beginning that turns out to be a child's toy. What we saw exploding was just that same kid's awesome relay toy. Just adding insult to injury after he died in that shuttle.

Joe Molotov

What if the extended ending added a single scene where the camera pulls back and you see a kid playing Mass Effect 3 on the Citadel and Shepherd comes by and is like "And that's what it would have been like if I didn't save the universe, kinda makes you think, don't it?" and then this older kid comes over and is like "You have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy! Come on, let's play Call of Duty 149: Advanced Cerberus Warfighter instead." And they do. Then a single tear rolls down Shepherd's cheek.

Samara

So I finished my paragon playthrough, and compared to the Full renegade one? So much better.

I had 3 squadmate in my renegade one (liara, James, EDI). And I don't know if it's because of this, but when you ask a James to fix the gun, he just kick the shit out of it, and EDI's like "What are you doing?!?"

What really got me was:
- Padok sabotaging the cure
- Getting Rila to commit suicide/or kill her
-Grissom academy was headed by Rodriguez which is kinda of sad seeing them all depressed
- Sending Ash with Hackett
- Udina having proof that Shepard "killed" the councilor
-Steve dieing with James witnessing it go down

But man, Wreav is a total jerk. I hate him...HATE HIM. At first I thought Wiks and Eve were gonna be together. But she died.

Seeing him get killed by the rubble---oh yes good riddance I say. I Just loved the paragon route. It's not just a "save someone button" but more of a support of friendship. I mean who didn't do it when they once again saw Anderson. I was grinning like an idiot on the verge of tears. The team's goodbye---Oh my God Kaidan and Garrus with me till the end. I still had to shoot TIM because the paragon route was greyed out...Chose the destroy option again, because to me it makes the most sense. Because that is fucking goal. Even if organics can rebuild new synthetics, these won't go on a reaping spree every civilization.

And I have some questions if one cares to answer:
-Who tipped off Cerberus at Surkesh?
-Yaghs are primitive? The Shadow Broker could talk fine...

Zomba13

At least you can get down again, unlike ME2, where you have to load a save. Progress.

Yeah. I pretty much had to restart the whole first mission (the one after the tutorial) because of that bug. Somehow got on the roof of a building and couldn't get down and I hadn't saved.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I finished my paragon playthrough, and compared to the Full renegade one? So much better.

I had 3 squadmate in my renegade one (liara, James, EDI). And I don't know if it's because of this, but when you ask a James to fix the gun, he just kick the shit out of it, and EDI's like "What are you doing?!?"

What really got me was:
- Padok sabotaging the cure
- Getting Rila to commit suicide/or kill her
-Grissom academy was headed by Rodriguez which is kinda of sad seeing them all depressed
- Sending Ash with Hackett
- Udina having proof that Shepard "killed" the councilor
-Steve dieing with James witnessing it go down

But man, Wreav is a total jerk. I hate him...HATE HIM. At first I thought Wiks and Eve were gonna be together. But she died.

Seeing him get killed by the rubble---oh yes good riddance I say. I Just loved the paragon route. It's not just a "save someone button" but more of a support of friendship. I mean who didn't do it when they once again saw Anderson. I was grinning like an idiot on the verge of tears. The team's goodbye---Oh my God Kaidan and Garrus with me till the end. I still had to shoot TIM because the paragon route was greyed out...Chose the destroy option again, because to me it makes the most sense. Because that is fucking goal. Even if organics can rebuild new synthetics, these won't go on a reaping spree every civilization.

And I have some questions if one cares to answer:
-Who tipped off Cerberus at Surkesh?

Is Wiks great or is Wiks the greatest?

Moaradin

Is Wiks great or is Wiks the greatest?

3WrVO.gif

Rodhull

Liara hinted back in the Shadow Broker DLC that he could have been a slave before... maybe his master teached him how to talk.

Didn't the council attempt a first contact with them before being attacked. I can't see them doing that if the Yahg weren't capable of speaking already surely?

Rapstah

Liara hinted back in the Shadow Broker DLC that he could have been a slave before... maybe his master teached him how to talk.

The Citadel would probably have integrated their language into the universal translators as part of the diplomatic deal they used to have, and why remove it afterwards? They would just have to do all that work again whenever the Yahg came back around.

Samara

Shepard's reaction is hilarious. Hum, if I had screengrab of DefaultFem Shepard I would totally change my 3 year old avatar.

The Citadel would probably have integrated their language into the universal translators as part of the diplomatic deal they used to have, and why remove it afterwards? They would just have to do all that work again whenever the Yahg came back around.

Yeah I mean it's not like they're varrens. Or maybe it was just mistreatment from the Salarian themselves. What was Mordin's rule again about perfoming test on a specie capable of basic calculus? smh

Cyborg

Wanted to start my second playtrough......but i stopped! Because of the END! Aint gonna play it anymore and I wont buy any DLC that already was on the disc.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wanted to start my second playtrough......but i stopped! Because of the END! Aint gonna play it anymore and I wont buy any DLC that already was on the disc.

Or you could play your 2nd character until you reach the Earth mission and wait for whatever Bioware is making for free to do what's left. They can't really make it worse than what it is already.

Ambitious

They're brutal and aggressive, but not primitive. They learn incredibly fast (that's why the Yahg SB was able to overcome the previous SB); and their technological level is on par with the Earth of the 20th century.

I read that on the terminal with the squadmate dossiers on the SB ship, but of course it's also on the Mass Effect Wiki: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Yahg

Guys, does any of you remember a codex entry/ datapad log/ email about some people working on a cure for Keprel's desease?I remember I read something about this in Mass Effect 2, but I didn't remember in what format. It's a bummer they didn't mention it in ME3.

Lime

I'm disappointed now that I realize that you never got to reunite with Corporal Toombs, especially if you're a Sole Survivor.

You get an e-mail in 2, in which he is threatening to kill Shepard for joining Cerberus.

In 3, nothing happens. Not even an e-mail :(

Rapstah

Allow me to ruin the docks level of the Citadel for you: look out the window. Two red cars run by approximately every twenty seconds. Look to the left, on top of the walkway that looks like it leads to the Normandy. The cars clearly spawn on top of this walkway and stand there for five seconds before they run past. Now look right. They disappear by running straight into the next walkway. 70 FOV.

BJK

I'm disappointed now that I realize that you never got to reunite with Corporal Toombs, especially if you're a Sole Survivor.

My non-ending gripe is that BW built up the Asari Consort as a major character in ME1, only to never even give you access to that part of the Citadel in the sequels. I think they maybe name-checked her once or twice in the sequels.

Randdalf

So I just finished the game with my character who's been through every game, besides his hair looking slightly different he came through fine.

What I don't get is the EMS thing. Mass Effect Wiki says: "Having under 2800 (only completing Priority missions) will result in the worst ending". Now, before Cerberus HQ I had 2733 which I assume goes up after that (by 100+?) so I had about 2833 by the end. I did virtually all of the side missions barring one N7 I forgot about and a few fetch quests that were wiped out after Priority: Citadel II. I thought BioWare said you could get the best ending without doing any of the Galaxy At War stuff? Does that actually mean, you can get the best ending if you make specific choices and follow a certain path?

So to get a better set of endings, I have to play multiplayer... exactly what I was told I didn't have to do before the game came out. Talking of endings, I really don't know what to think about it (well, the one I chose). It wasn't anywhere near as bad as it's been made out to be, but it still felt kind of wonky - there was no real opportunity for conclusion or even celebration with any characters. Just some janky philosophical stuff which didn't feel right in the context of the game.

I definitely feel that the game needed more development time. 6 party members really isn't what I was hoping for in the epic finale of a series. I believe BioWare said "fleshing out characters more" or something along those lines, which essentially translates to "we didn't have the budget to create missions and voice packs for all of them". I also feel that they didn't make the most of the choices system which was the whole key thing behind the first game. Your choices seemed to make no major impact, just replaced dead characters with new ones and there were never really any sweeping changings to the story. One notable example is how the ending of Mass Effect 2 affected the game - not at all as far as I could tell, other than giving you varying amounts of points in your renegade and EMS bars. If all the big choices are going to be boiled down into a statistic (minor choices notwithstanding) - why bother?

On the positive side, the Quarian/Geth missions were exceptionally well handled and the best bits in the game for me. Banshees are one of the most disturbing enemies I've seen in a game, and annoying to fight against to boot.

I liked how the achievement for him was "defeat an old adversary' when he gets introduced halfway through the final game. Damn, sure was a great villian, that generic space ninja with shitty mechanics who has no real depth cause all his character is established in the books.

Wish I could kick him into a sarlacc pit

I dunno, that petty email he sent was pretty badass. It's the type of thing only a hardcore adrenaline junkie like Kai Leng would make.

I thought BioWare said you could get the best ending without doing any of the Galaxy At War stuff? Does that actually mean, you can get the best ending if you make specific choices and follow a certain path?

So to get a better set of endings, I have to play multiplayer... exactly what I was told I didn't have to do before the game came out. Talking of endings, I really don't know what to think about it (well, the one I chose).
They lied. The "best" ending, and im using that term loosely, where you live is impossible to achieve without multiplayer or the ios game or app.

The maximum you can have is around 3800.

So I just finished the game with my character who's been through every game, besides his hair looking slightly different he came through fine.

What I don't get is the EMS thing. Mass Effect Wiki says: "Having under 2800 (only completing Priority missions) will result in the worst ending". Now, before Cerberus HQ I had 2733 which I assume goes up after that (by 100+?) so I had about 2833 by the end. I did virtually all of the side missions barring one N7 I forgot about and a few fetch quests that were wiped out after Priority: Citadel II. I thought BioWare said you could get the best ending without doing any of the Galaxy At War stuff? Does that actually mean, you can get the best ending if you make specific choices and follow a certain path?

So to get a better set of endings, I have to play multiplayer... exactly what I was told I didn't have to do before the game came out. Talking of endings, I really don't know what to think about it (well, the one I chose). It wasn't anywhere near as bad as it's been made out to be, but it still felt kind of wonky - there was no real opportunity for conclusion or even celebration with any characters. Just some janky philosophical stuff which didn't feel right in the context of the game

OK -- here's the deal.

Your EMS has to be somewhat high to be able to get a 3rd ending (the green one in the middle). If you didn't see it, your EMS wasn't high enough. This ending is EXTREMELY similar to the other 2 possibilities, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ignoring that ending, the other 2 endings are always available. However, if your EMS is too low, you will see Earth get damaged to a greater degree than the best ending. This is approximately a 5-second difference in the cutscene.

The "best" endings in this regard can be obtained without any multiplayer or iOS games.

However, there is a tiny addendum (like 2 seconds) that is added to the red ending. You can YouTube it. It's not worth it. Your EMS has to be so high to get that you'd have to play MP or iOS games, yes.

They lied.

commando_sully.jpg

"Lives (if Anderson survived) "

Wait. What?

That confused me, but what I am pretty sure it means is:

Anderson can't survive-survive. But he can survive past when the Illusive Man dies. That is, you can prevent TIM from shooting Anderson a 2nd time. Then you have a nice moment as Anderson dies.

Then the shit ending starts.

Kyari

That confused me, but what I am pretty sure it means is:

Anderson can't survive-survive. But he can survive past when the Illusive Man dies. That is, you can prevent TIM from shooting Anderson a 2nd time. Then you have a nice moment as Anderson dies.

Then the shit ending starts.

Ahhh. I figured that's what it probably meant but wasn't sure if I'd somehow missed something.

Also, Anderson's death is probably the most disappointing part of the entire game, not because it was particularly sad, but because you see it coming 3 games ago. Every game the token Keith David character survived I was surprised, so as soon as he told you he'd stay on earth during the opening act I pretty much wrote him off as DEFINITELY DEAD BY THE END.

Randdalf

Yeah, I've watched a few videos of the other endings... not going to bother with it, they're virtually all the same anyway. Man, it's so disappointing. :(

As a side-note, I forgot to mention that they removed (or rather, didn't write) the neutral option in conversations, which again stinks of budgetary or time constraints. My Shepard erred between neutral and renegade with flashes of paragon at the big moments.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
As a side-note, I forgot to mention that they removed (or rather, didn't write) the neutral option in conversations, which again stinks of budgetary or time constraints. My Shepard erred between neutral and renegade with flashes of paragon at the big moments.
According to an offhand interview with Weekes at PAX, they removed the neutral response because it's a war, and Shep has to be more aggressive or something like that.

According to an offhand interview with Weekes at PAX, they removed the neutral response because it's a war, and Shep has to be more aggressive or something like that.

I honestly didn't care. It made sense in the context of the game. Too many people seem to want a Neutral option when having one wouldn't make any sense in the/a game's structure.

Randdalf

I honestly didn't care. It made sense in the context of the game. Too many people seem to want a Neutral option when having one wouldn't make any sense in the/a game's structure.

I suppose, but a neutral ending could combine elements of both full paragon and renegade ones. I don't see why every Shepard has to be one or the other.

It makes sense them scrapping the neutral option. There's so many variations in this story (in terms of chars, situations ect.) that timing it by 3 would most likely be too much. Sad to see it go, but I can understand.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The neutral response made sense in the other games; it doesn't, however, make sense to remove it at this state, even if there is a war. To me it seems like another casualty to which they didn't have enough resources to dedicate.

I don't think that the ends would have to be positive or negative or neutral, since the current ending(s) already ignores how you've been responding to the situation.

Samara

The neutral response made sense in the other games, it doesn't, however, make sense to remove it at this state, even if there is a war. To me it seems like another casualty to which they didn't have enough resources to dedicate.

I don't think that the ends would have to be positive or negative or neutral, since the current ending(s) already ignore how you've been responding to the situation.

What is there to be neutral about anyways? You've got to decide wheter or not you want to do X or Y. In fact in ME1 neutral was mostly the same thing as paragon, in ME2 it was "well what do we do now?"

I think they did good on the neutral ending. Mixed them all together. If I had to conjure a post ending of the neutral choice, it would be that some cyborgs would be more advanced than others and it would never truly be equal because of it

Top Bottom