• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Melchiah

A friend just sent me this.

FJ6sD.jpg

I'll give ME3 this--I liked that each applicable planet only had one thing to scan. That was nice.

I didn't think the galaxy map could get any more childish, but they pulled it off by turning it into a game of pac-man.

And has the run animation been addressed? How do gamers put up with mo-capped strippers, but horribly animated MAIN CHARACTERS? Or is that the new demographic--don't care about anything but wiggling asses and shaking tits?

A few pages back--yes, most of my cut-scenes had invisible characters, jarring camera changes and characters that snapped in and out of different positions. Both discs installed to the HDD, all updates--run on a Jasper Arcade (with 120GB HDD).

Rufus

And has the run animation been addressed? How do gamers put up with mo-capped strippers, but horribly animated MAIN CHARACTERS? Or is that the new demographic--don't care about anything but wiggling asses and shaking tits?
No, you assume too much. The animation quality, or lack thereof, was noticed and made fun of early on. The run animation that looks like Shep shat his pants got turned into a gif when the demo came out. We got that out of our systems early.
You can blame the new melee moves for that. Or console memory limitations, whichever you prefer. I guess it hasn't come up since because the other crap overshadows it.

A few pages back--yes, most of my cut-scenes had invisible characters, jarring camera changes and characters that snapped in and out of different positions. Both discs installed to the HDD, all updates--run on a Jasper Arcade (with 120GB HDD).
The jank has come up more often than the quality of the animations. Liara's monitors spazzing out, getting stuck behind EDI's seat in the cockpit, wrong weapons being held in cut scenes, etc.

No, you assume too much. The animation quality, or lack thereof, was noticed and made fun of early on. The run animation that looks like Shep shat his pants got turned into a gif when the demo came out. We got that out of our systems early.
You can blame the new melee moves for that. Or console memory limitations, whichever you prefer. I guess it hasn't come up since because the other crap overshadows it.

The jank has come up more often than the quality of the animations. Liara's monitors spazzing out, getting stuck behind EDI's seat in the cockpit, wrong weapons being held in cut scenes, etc.

It's not too bad once Shepard and the crew have their gear on. I think it has to do with neither and it's just bad animation due to rushed deadlines and crappy animations were the least of their concerns.

Tzeentch

-- Dunno, a lot of the basic animsets (weapon animations, taking cover, movement) look exactly the same as the ME2 ones, which in many cases are the same as ME1. IT just probably never came up and knowing Bioware if they "fixed" that it would cause the renderer to break or they would somehow revert their networking to only work on Token Ring connections, and all Elcor models would get replaced with those rat monkey models, and ...

Rapstah

-- Dunno, a lot of the basic animsets (weapon animations, taking cover, movement) look exactly the same as the ME2 ones, which in many cases are the same as ME1. IT just probably never came up and knowing Bioware if they "fixed" that it would cause the renderer to break or they would somehow revert their networking to only work on Token Ring connections, and all Elcor models would get replaced with those rat monkey models, and ...

I think the "civilian" or non-combat animations are straight out of ME2. The battle animations are seemingly all new. They can't be loaded at the same time because Bioware already had memory issues.

Aske

The weapon switching animation is awful compared to ME2. That was the most obvious downgrade I noticed playing the game. I wasn't too fussed about the running, but the weapon switch animation just gives up about two thirds in and the new weapon appears via space magic.

Complistic

Of all the big budget games I've played in the last few years, ME3 has the absolute worst animations. A lot of them are just an eye sore and to make matters worse they're used over and over again.

Of all the big budget games I've played in the last few years, ME3 has the absolute worst animations. A lot of them are just an eye sore and to make matters worse they're used over and over again.

No word of a lie--when I first started running I couldn't help but think of this. And ME3's running is only 1 notch above that...

The weapon switching animation is awful compared to ME2. That was the most obvious downgrade I noticed playing the game. I wasn't too fussed about the running, but the weapon switch animation just gives up about two thirds in and the new weapon appears via space magic.

I'm really beginning to hate all things space magic. Seeing as there was a child-space-god, is there a child-space-devil? Could I build that catalyst and get a better ending?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm really beginning to hate all things space magic. Seeing as there was a child-space-god, is there a child-space-devil? Could I build that catalyst and get a better ending?
Space magic was introduced since the beginning. They called it Mass Effect Fields/Element Zero. In truth, "space magic" does not bother because of that reason. What really bothers me most of all is the whole purpose of the Reapers. I'm still baffled why such a horrible ending to what was the best sci-fi game series of all time, beloved by many? Did they do it on purpose or was it an accident?

Rufus

Space magic was introduced since the beginning. They called it Mass Effect Fields/Element Zero. In truth, "space magic" does not bother because of that reason. What really bothers me most of all is the whole purpose of the Reapers.
You named the crucial difference though. The Mass Effect and every technology derived from it was there from the very beginning. All you need to accept is that there is a magical element called Element Zero. Biotics are a bit of a stretch from there (because you need to apply current to the stuff), but we've had three games to get used to the idea that, for some reason, organic life can make the Mass Effect work control it with their brains (even if they need an 'amp' in their head). There are more difficult things to swallow, like the Alliance military being completely incompetent so our beloved terrorist organization and Shepard could swoop in and save people. Or thermal clips being somehow more useful, because looking for ammo and carrying it around is clearly better than entirely preventable overheating with a near infinite amount of ammo.

Did they do it on purpose or was it an accident?
Both. It wouldn't have changed what was going to happen, fundamentally, but at one point there was the possibility to have an actual conversation with Space Kid. They could have lampshaded or otherwise explained away a bunch of issues. I won't say that it would be more satisfying, but maybe they could have come up with a compelling reason for - everything. Casey Hudson wanted to keep the conversation more 'high level' though, and Walters was convinced, so they chose to let the idiocy stand. Lots of speculation for everyone. Let's make DNA more machine... like... and robots more... like organic-... That solves the problem outlined by Space Kid... I think. Somehow.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Damnit, every time this gets bumped, I get my hopes up for actual EC news.

I'd be curious if they mention it at all. It is a very sticky situation for them to be in.

I agree, there's no way they'd use this as some sort of hype-related announcement, unless more single player DLC is being revealed/announced and the EC news coincides in a (desperate) play to revitalize interest.

Plus the new MP pack came out pretty recently, so I'm guessing Bioware realized Micro-transactions are where the money's at.

However, the VAs are supposedly recording stuff now-ish according to twitter, so we'll probably hear something by July, and a late August-early September release, unless they delay it.

One bit of space magic I can never accept is the Green Beam of Synth-Organic Merging. Just ridiculous.

Also "the Reapers moved the Citadel" is not good.

rozay

Banned
One bit of space magic I can never accept is the Green Beam of Synth-Organic Merging. Just ridiculous.

Also "the Reapers moved the Citadel" is not good.
That isn't as bad as the space magic Hackett used to hide the Crucible throughout the entire game.

Moaradin

Been a while since I been here. Glad to see that nothing has changed :)

What are the chances of the ending DLC stuff being announced today at EA's conference?

Darkmakaimura

You named the crucial difference though. The Mass Effect and every technology derived from it was there from the very beginning. All you need to accept is that there is a magical element called Element Zero. Biotics are a bit of a stretch from there (because you need to apply current to the stuff), but we've had three games to get used to the idea that, for some reason, organic life can make the Mass Effect work control it with their brains (even if they need an 'amp' in their head). There are more difficult things to swallow, like the Alliance military being completely incompetent so our beloved terrorist organization and Shepard could swoop in and save people. Or thermal clips being somehow more useful, because looking for ammo and carrying it around is clearly better than entirely preventable overheating with a near infinite amount of ammo.
Well that's thing because apparently the Reapers can utilize biotics and they're pretty much machine. Regardless of the fact, it still doesn't excuse the poor ending and explanations.

Rufus

Well that's thing because apparently the Reapers can utilize biotics and they're pretty much machine. Regardless of the fact, it still doesn't excuse the poor ending and explanations.
They are half-organic. At least the Reaper troops are. The Reapers themselves have an organic component as well (people goop), but who the hell knows what that actually does for them.
It actually makes more sense for machines to be able to use the Mass Effect, since you need to apply an electrical current to Eezo for it to either de- or increase the mass of an object. They wouldn't need an amp, either, it could be part of their circuitry. There's actually no reason why Geth couldn't use biotic powers, other than some arbitrary limitation. Put a drive core inside one and there you go, flying Geth. Why they need an organic brain for any of the other powers eludes me. Come to think of it, the Mass Relays worked at a distance, too. Why do you need a brain to 'reach out' and change a distant object's mass at people scale?

I don't really want to question these things. They didn't bother me before. Not sure if they do now.

Darkmakaimura

They are half-organic. At least the Reaper troops are. The Reapers themselves have an organic component as well (people goop), but who the hell knows what that actually does for them.
It actually makes more sense for machines to be able to use the Mass Effect, since you need to apply an electrical current to Eezo for it to either de- or increase the mass of an object. They wouldn't need an amp, either, it could be part of their circuitry. There's actually no reason why Geth couldn't use biotic powers, other than some arbitrary limitation. Put a drive core inside one and there you go, flying Geth. Why they need an organic brain for any of the other powers eludes me. Come to think of it, the Mass Relays worked at a distance, too. Why do you need a brain to 'reach out' and change a distant object's mass at people scale?

I don't really want to question these things. They didn't bother me before. Not sure if they do now.
The only thing I could have thought of was that they are made of organic goo, but that goo is transformed into metal so in truth, it's really no longer organic. That's another thing that bothers me. The Reapers should look somewhat organic. If not a fleshy exterior, they should have had a fleshy interior underneath the metallic shell and walking around them would be similar to being on the Collector Ship and Collector Base. All their fine young Husks have that whole bio-organic look too, so it would only make sense but we don't see that here.

We also know the Reapers are at least 1 billion years old, from the Leviathan of Dis. That means the race that built them has to be well over 1 billion years old and the universe is 14 billion years old. I'm not a scientist, but is it possible to have a race of beings evolve in the universe that long ago? I still like to think the creators may be from another universe, as was hinted by Sovereign or maybe even from a previous universe. I think this at least would make the Reapers a lot more interesting.

Rapstah

At least Wii U owners won't give a shit about the ending.

As rushed as the game was, and as even more rushed I imagine a port to Wii U might be, I bet you they don't even get the ME1 comic. It'd be useless without a corresponding ME2 comic and let's not even talk about that.

How weird would it be to sit through like 40 minutes of comics before you started a game of ME3?

Top Bottom