• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
he made a thread on the multiplayer board about 13 hours ago, so that was probably an easy way to shoo you off.

Well, i dont really know his role in Mass Effect 3, maybe he just release news on the forums without actually participating in the ending DLC?

he made a thread on the multiplayer board about 13 hours ago, so that was probably an easy way to shoo you off.

!! He said he works w/ DICE now, promoting Battlefield shit. And he was at the Battlefield areas the entire time I was there.

I wouldnt put it past him though. I know Casey was hiding for good reason!

Yes, I know the kid says Shepard is special and totally not like the Illusive Man, but the space-child is the king of the Reapers so I didn't believe a word he said on that score.

Thank-you. Trust is earned. Space-kid/King of the Reapers should be trusted...why exactly?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
!! He said he works w/ DICE now, promoting Battlefield shit. And he was at the Battlefield areas the entire time I was there.

I wouldnt put it past him though. I know Casey was hiding for good reason!

Are you sure you talked to the right guy? :lol

Or maybe you really got trolled.

-Character #1: Joker (default)
-Character #2: Your relationship/partner
-Character #3: The character the you used the most in the squad

I'm going to have to lodge a vote against this theory. I got Joker, EDI and Liara. I romanced Liara sure, but I only took EDI on that one mission it was mandatory.

fernoca

I'm going to have to lodge a vote against this theory. I got Joker, EDI and Liara. I romanced Liara sure, but I only took EDI on that one mission it was mandatory.
Which is why I also said:
Granted, I've read about people that their characters didn't made sense (or never used them); but at least in my case is the only explanation.

:p

Plus on this playthrough, I never did Javik's mission/Eden Prime (since it wasn't needed for the all missions in Insanity-achievement); so wonder if I did rescued him if he appeared instead of James.

So he's only lying about control? The other 2 are totally legit? I don't think you can apply that logic to only one of the choices.

I argued that where exactly?

You don't drop a god-child into a story with 8 minutes left to go. It invalidates any damned ending to come after it.

You have three full games worth of "control is not the solution" presented to you from various angles, and then some god-child drops out of fucking nowhere and is all like "no dude, control will totally work" and you buy it? That's less about trusting the god-child and more about paying attention to thematic undertones that have run throughout the whole series.

I'm not happy with ANY of the endings. Everything beyond Maurader Shields is shit. Sloppy, sloppy shit. (actually, moving the Citadel was pretty bad...)

I'm not happy about being offered 3 endings that don't make any sense in the universe in which they're presented. Assume the god-child isn't pulling a fast one, and its just the writing that's critically broken:

Control should be avoided according to the established narrative because it never ends well*
Destroy should be avoided because you commit Gethocide--that ain't fair
Synthesis is so poorly explained and the repercussions unknown (remember, we know that control=bad and genocide=bad) that it remains the only option to exercise with a semi-clear conscience.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Why do I still care?!!!

*assuming a Paragon play-through

It's nearly summer and we have no news. That's weird.

Either the DLC is larger than expected and has fully animated cut-scenes or its being purposely delayed for whatever reason (an actual decent ending that fills in the plot holes, damage control, etc.). I really don't see the point of downloading, most likely, a 100MB+ cut-scene at this point if it doesn't feature your own Shep. Might as well just release it on Youtube.

And assuming you can get past the synthetics vs organics, the ending choices would've been alright if there was an actual difference between them and explained further. All of them are still debatable. Synthesis may seem the most logical to you, but to someone else, it's wrong.

The same way control may be suspicious, synthesis may be just as much. Whose to say synthesis won't turn everyone into galaxy under the reapers control considering their part synthetic now? And what happens to the Reapers if you choose synthesis? What gives you the right to turn everyone into synthetics when some may not want to be? There's tons of variables here.

And why not sacrifice the Geth? It's war. Sacrifices are made. There was a choice to save or sacrifice the Batarians. You had to choose earlier on between the Quarians and Geth. This is just another one of those hard choices. One of the original endings to ME3 was to decide whether to sacrifice the entire human race for the sake of the galaxy. There's no right or wrong, which I'm assuming was Bioware's goal so that no one felt like they made a bad decision at the end of a 40 hour RPG.

Either the DLC is larger than expected and has fully animated cut-scenes or its being purposely delayed for whatever reason (an actual decent ending that fills in the plot holes, damage control, etc.). I really don't see the point of downloading, most likely, a 100MB+ cut-scene at this point if it doesn't feature your own Shep. Might as well just release it on Youtube.

And assuming you can get past the synthetics vs organics, the ending choices would've been alright if there was an actual difference between them and explained further. All of them are still debatable. Synthesis may seem the most logical to you, but to someone else, it's wrong.

The same way control may be suspicious, synthesis may be just as much. Whose to say synthesis won't turn everyone into galaxy under the reapers control considering their part synthetic now? And what happens to the Reapers if you choose synthesis? What gives you the right to turn everyone into synthetics when some may not want to be? There's tons of variables here.

And why not sacrifice the Geth? It's war. Sacrifices are made. There was a choice to save or sacrifice the Batarians. You had to choose earlier on between the Quarians and Geth. This is just another one of those hard choices. One of the original endings to ME3 was to decide whether to sacrifice the entire human race for the sake of the galaxy. There's no right or wrong, which I'm assuming was Bioware's goal so that no one felt like they made a bad decision at the end of a 40 hour RPG.

Nuh uh. I told those bloody war-mongering fools to stand down, and they did because I'm Shep.

nel e nel

It coming out on Wii U, I guess?

I may be remembering it wrong, it's been a while, but I don't think these little issues were quite as frequent in ME2. The most annoying glitch in ME2 was the one where you can end up on furniture and random crates and such, without a way of getting down again. That's the one that stuck in my mind. ME3 has a hand full of different glitches that occur frequently, but don't force you to reload a save (getting stuck behind EDI's seat being the exception, but that's the only 'trap' that I remember).

They were fairly frequent from what I remember hearing about on forums and whatnot, but not gamebreaking as generally a save reload would set everything straight.

It's understandable that little niggles like that happen with so much code going into these games.

Rufus

It blows my mind that people would pick synthesis. It is so poorly explained and it is very unclear what exactly it will do.
Neither ending, with perhaps the exception of Destroy, is very well explained. How do you control the Reapers now? It looks like you're getting burnt to a crisp. Destroy is clear in what it does, but how you do it (shooting a pipe that for some reason serves a critical function but is easily accessible, with a ramp leading up to it and everything) seems ludicrous. Synthesis doesn't even need to be mentioned, really, as it's "What?" all around.

By simple mode of elimination, the thoughtful gamer is left with nothing but the out-of-the-blue synthesis option that is poorly explained, but sounds somewhat less horrible than genocide or becoming TIM and learning absolutely nothing in 3 games' time.
And it's the one ending you have to 'earn' by being thorough.

A shitty, shitty, shit-covered, shitty shit ending.
Poopy, poop, poop.

No interest in seeing Synthesis.
Imagine a green explosion. The way they symbolize the strange symbiosis of tech and DNA has to be seen, too. Green circuitry. On everything. I want to see inside the head that imagine that.
"So, since synthetics represent order and logic (for reasons) and organics chaos (for reasons), a melding of both would be the best of both worlds (for reasons). So, like, DNA plus order... I mean... DNA is random, right? Like chaos? So order... Systems. Ordered. Something. ...Hence green circuitry on everything! Right!? Genius! Oh thank god that's over...! Man. We made it."

/condescension

Trigger

Imagine a green explosion. The way they symbolize the strange symbiosis of tech and DNA has to be seen, too. Green circuitry. On everything. I want to see inside the head that imagine that.
"So, since synthetics represent order and logic (for reasons) and organics chaos (for reasons), a melding of both would be the best of both worlds (for reasons). So, like, DNA plus order... I mean... DNA is random, right? Like chaos? So order... Systems. Ordered. Something. ...Hence green circuitry on everything! Right!? Genius! Oh thank god that's over...! Man. We made it."

/condescension

And on the bright side it's totally not creepy for Joker to bang EDI now. Isn't that the most important thing here?

Gui_PT

Hello fellow Mass Effect fans

I found some rather cheap books on a store today.

Would anyone recommend any of them? I should've memorized the name of the books I saw but no =\

Arjen

Hello fellow Mass Effect fans

I found some rather cheap books on a store today.

Would anyone recommend any of them? I should've memorized the name of the books I saw but no =

First three are alright if you enjoy the series. Just stay away from the last one, I'm not joking, stay away from that piece of trash.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, was this posted?

u8BWP.gif

Reece

Thanks. So should I start with Revelation?

Yup, gives some color into when Anderson was being considered to be a Spectre, and introduces Saren before he was indoctrinated. It helps to start there because it intros Kahlee Sanders who is a major character in the other two.

Gazzawa

Yup, gives some color into when Anderson was being considered to be a Spectre, and introduces Saren before he was indoctrinated. It helps to start there because it intros Kahlee Sanders who is a major character in the other two.

"We wouldn't have gotten off if you hadn't cum"

Gui_PT

Much appreciated. It shall be bought tomorrow!

Smudboy claimed that 'it's all a dream' points to bad writing. I disagree. It's bad writing when it's no more than a reset button, but it does fit with the Protheans trying to teach paragon boy scout (tm) a lesson in not being able to win.

The whole psychological play makes much more sense with the supposed original ending of it being a 'dream' invoked by the Eden Prime beacon.

You would simply have Shep wake up and see boy scout being gone from his / her eyes, making the change the Protheans were convinced of being 'correct' a fact. Why else would there be a Prothean who by ME1 rules should not have been able to survive at all?

They shouldn't have changed the ending just because it leaked early. :mad:

Reece

Smudboy claimed that 'it's all a dream' points to bad writing. I disagree. It's bad writing when it's no more than a reset button, but it does fit with the Protheans trying to teach paragon boy scout (tm) a lesson in not being able to win.

The whole psychological play makes much more sense with the supposed original ending of it being a 'dream' invoked by the Eden Prime beacon.

You would simply have Shep wake up and see boy scout being gone from his / her eyes, making the change the Protheans were convinced of being 'correct' a fact. Why else would there be a Prothean who by ME1 rules should not have been able to survive at all?

I have no idea what I just read. None. Maybe I need some context.

Except this part (maybe?):

Protheans trying to teach paragon boy scout (tm) a lesson in not being able to win.

Not everyone played paragon boy scout.

rozay

Banned

LFxF1.png

Gui_PT

Much appreciated. It shall be bought tomorrow!

Welp.

Went to that store today and asked for another copy because the one they had on the shelf was all busted up. They only had that copy and are not planning on getting more.

Online buy it is.

"It's all a dream" most of the time will be bad writing. The very few times it works is if reality is questioned throughout the entire media like in Total Recall or Inception or the Matrix series. For ME3, it's out of place and tacked on and doesn't suit the game thematically.

The rest of your post is nonsense.

Hey, so I know I'm REALLY late to this thread, but I've been wondering about this for a while...Am I the only one who didn't really care about "taking back Earth?" Like in a game that was based on saving the whole galaxy, I feel like I wasn't that worried about it. Throughout the game I kept getting this vibe that the game was expecting me to have an emotional investment in Earth, but in reality I couldn't have cared less.

/rant

Hey, so I know I'm REALLY late to this thread, but I've been wondering about this for a while...Am I the only one who didn't really care about "taking back Earth?" Like in a game that was based on saving the whole galaxy, I feel like I wasn't that worried about it. Throughout the game I kept getting this vibe that the game was expecting me to have an emotional investment in Earth, but in reality I couldn't have cared less.

/rant

A lot of people had that reaction.

I cared about it on an intellectual level, but since ME1-2 did so little to get you invested in Earth's affairs and went just about everywhere else instead, it was hard to be emotional about it.

Rubezh

/rant

Think of the kid....THE KID.

A lot of people had that reaction.

I cared about it on an intellectual level, but since ME1-2 did so little to get you invested in Earth's affairs and went just about everywhere else instead, it was hard to be emotional about it.

EXACTLY. Like what I don't think they got was that this is a game, and in-game I really had next to no time spent there (absolutely 0 time pre-ME3) so why should I care?!

I was more concerned about other species and their planets truth be told.

I found it very odd that while I had never visited Thessia either, I felt really bad when it fell to the reapers, but felt nothing for Earth.

Gui_PT

I was just thinking about what was said about dismemberment and reviving one another. If either Clarke or Carver die, how will they get back in the action? Still pretty stoked we're going to bosses and more larger Necromorphs this time. I was still pretty impressed with that fight against The Nexus.

I agr..what

I was just thinking about what was said about dismemberment and reviving one another. If either Clarke or Carver die, how will they get back in the action? Still pretty stoked we're going to bosses and more larger Necromorphs this time. I was still pretty impressed with that fight against The Nexus.

I don't seem to remember that part in ME3 for some reason....

zkylon

zkylewd

/rant
My Shepard was a colonist and I don't like most humans in ME so I couldn't care less about Earth. Like PinkCrayon, watching the other planets burn was a lot more "hurtful" than the kid exploding to sappy piano/Inception horn song. Maybe Shepard felt so sad about that kid dying because it was the only existing human child in the whole universe, since it's the only kid you see in the ME series...

Rufus

I didn't care about Thessia either. I didn't care about any of the worlds, actually. ME is all about the characters for me.

Wrong tab, breddah.

Oddly enough, I feel like part of me enjoyed this less than ME2 because I was back under the damn Alliance lol. Like in ME2 you're working with a crew of criminals/vigilantes, and the only person you answer to is arguably the coolest character in the game (TIM). In ME3 you basically end back up as the Alliances lapdog and as a whole just didn't feel as badass to me. Idk I guess I just liked the "rogue agent" angle more.

Curious interview with Dorian Kieken (Bioware Development Director) on the Games Industry site :-

Dorian Kieken said:
That's why the Dragon Age 3 team turned to the BioWare forums to ask what the fans wanted from the finished game. That's why you will soon be able to play free DLC that alters the ending of Mass Effect 3.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-07-bioware-we-havent-had-a-breakthrough-success

The curious bit is the "alters the ending" part. It has been stated by Bioware that the Extended Crap erm Cut will not alter the ending just clarify it. So this could be a case of a journalist paraphrasing wrongly again or Bioware are actually thinking of changing the ending.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Curious interview with Dorian Kieken (Bioware Development Director) on the Games Industry site :-

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-07-bioware-we-havent-had-a-breakthrough-success

The curious bit is the "alters the ending" part. It has been stated by Bioware that the Extended Crap erm Cut will not alter the ending just clarify it. So this could be a case of a journalist paraphrasing wrongly again or Bioware are actually thinking of changing the ending.

They're just gonna give us a full rainbow of choices

Trigger

I doubt it. At best there might be a fourth option to avoid Sheperd's death, but otherwise? Slideshow with cut-scenes incoming!

Top Bottom