• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Reece

Its the highest selling game in the trilogy. Clearly a lot of people did this.

Source? Not doubting you I just never heard the sales numbers. I'm guessing what the data really says is that it sold the most in the first few months, which makes sense because over the course of 4 years a lot of people trickled in to become a significant amount of people who played 1&2. I personally know many people who picked up ME1 on steam years later and got hooked. This is all conjecture but my guess is that less than 10% went straight into 3.

Gui_PT

So you agree with me then that the Indoctrination theory is real and Bioware our lord and savior is coming in person?

I agree it's the supidest thing I've ever heard about and if Bioware picks up that theory that came from desperate fans, Bioware will not get a single dime from me ever again.

Amagon

So 50 hours in, playing the Vanguard class on Insanity difficulty and I have finally beaten ME3. Started playing all 3 games back to back for the first time and in a total amount of hours altogether playing these games - 133 Hours! Series was good in my honest opinion. I can nitpick all day about the games but overall I enjoyed it. Finally relieved that I'm over the series, get to focus on other games now!!! Especially I get to see the whole hoopla about the ending. Was it a great ending, no, but it was serviceable. Can someone tell me why this ending is so controversial? I have no clue why most gamers called it crap.

So 50 hours in, playing the Vanguard class on Insanity difficulty and I have finally beaten ME3. Started playing all 3 games back to back for the first time and in a total amount of hours altogether playing these games - 133 Hours! Series was good in my honest opinion. I can nitpick all day about the games but overall I enjoyed it. Finally relieved that I'm over the series, get to focus on other games now!!! Especially I get to see the whole hoopla about the ending. Was it a great ending, no, but it was serviceable. Can someone tell me why this ending is so controversial? I have no clue why most gamers called it crap.

Give it time.

Arjen

:/

I'm backtracking this thread to read everybody opinions. But man, LOL! Alot of butthurt in this thread.

And what the hell is "IT"?

Edit: Any good sources to read about the ending and what not about the series? I'm digging in the rabbit hole now.

Watch Smudboy's Bookend of Destruction videos, he does a great job of summarizing what's wrong with the plot.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
:/

I'm backtracking this thread to read everybody opinions. But man, LOL! Alot of butthurt in this thread.

Double Edit: Fuck this rabbit hole I'm digging myself in!!!
All my friends are dead! LOL explanation of Reapers. Three endings that are all the same except different colors. Hi, I'm Joker and I'm going to fly into Mass Relay and get stranded because of no reason. Choices didn't really matter. Whole galaxy fucked regardless. YAY!!!!

zkylon

zkylewd
It's adorable how every single one of us (myself included) beats the game and thinks "hey that wasn't as bad as they said". Then a few days later you're all raving about Marauder Shields and stuff...

By the way, beating the entire saga in 133 hours makes me feel like I took forever. I probably must've hit 180 at least...

Rufus

It's adorable how every single one of us (myself included) beats the game and thinks "hey that wasn't as bad as they said". Then a few days later you're all raving about Marauder Shields and stuff...

By the way, beating the entire saga in 133 hours makes me feel like I took forever. I probably must've hit 180 at least...
It was pretty late when I finished it and the fucking music lulled me in. Cheap emotional manipulation that it is. (Clint Mansell is a god, but god damn it.) I even picked the worst of the three endings (synthesis) and remember thinking that the circuitry on everything looked awfully goofy, but hey, that's the end, huh? OK. The only thin that truly pissed me off right from the start was their friendly DLC message at the end.
One day later, as I'm talking and thinking about it more it dawns on me just how crap the ending was. Then I come here, read about 'lots of speculation for everyone' and 'keeping it high level' and the dam breaks.

zkylon

zkylewd
i did it on insanity with vanguard. i thought it was good. Geth Plasma shotgun V + Biotic charge
haters gunna gate
Yup, that was my strategy exactly.

It was pretty late when I finished it and the fucking music lulled me in. Cheap emotional manipulation that it is. (Clint Mansell is a god, but god damn it.) I even picked the worst of the three endings (synthesis) and remember thinking that the circuitry on everything looked awfully goofy, but hey, that's the end, huh? OK. The only thin that truly pissed me off right from the start was their friendly DLC message at the end.
One day later, as I'm talking and thinking about it more it dawns on me just how crap the ending was. Then I come here, read about 'lots of speculation for everyone' and 'keeping it high level' and the dam breaks.
Lol I picked that one too. I had the Geth already rid the universe of the Quarians, so anihilation wasn't the thanking they deserved, and Control just had BAD ENDING written all over it. I was pretty bitter at the franchise way before he ending (what finally got me was The Arrival, since my second playthrough of ME2 actually removed some of my negativity towards it), so I didn't mind it much, but didn't feel it was more abrupt or weird or disappointing or fucking insane than most endings.

Then I spent two weeks watching every single video I could find, learning about the indoctrination theory and liking it, then cursing the game to hell altogether, etc.

I actually think I had more fun reading theories and reactions to the ending, than with the game itself.

spekkeh

Banned

To me I guess in the end it's the experience I had at that moment that prevailed. I mean looking back I can see that there's a lot of stuff wrong with it, but I ain't really mad. I went out thinking 'well it wasn't that bad, quite serviceable', and the game ended there for me. All the brouhaha afterwards I see as sort of distinct to the game experience.

Arjen

I hated it from the moment i finished it honestly

Gazzawa

I remember trying to convince myself and other players online that it was just mediocre. As someone mentioned they put 100+ hours into all 3 games. Like a good book it takes a few days to break down what has happened.

Arjen

I remember trying to convince myself and other players online that it was just mediocre. As someone mentioned they put 100+ hours into all 3 games. Like a good book it takes a few days to break down what has happened.

I think the hate set in so quik for me was the fact i hated the direction it was going from the point the citadel was moved. And the whole crucible was dumb from the start.

Gazzawa

I think the hate set in so quik for me was the fact i hated the direction it was going from the point the citadel was moved. And the whole crucible was dumb from the start.

I felt it was pretty cheap. Looking back its the only way newcomers would understand rather than basing a solution to the reapers in the lore of the previous games. Look at the box of the game the 3 is tiny on the side u can barely read it.

I've played ME2 on every difficulty. Now I'm due for the last one which I think was Insanity? i really hate the linear progression in ME3. I like to go where I want when I want!

Lol I picked that one too. I had the Geth already rid the universe of the Quarians, so anihilation wasn't the thanking they deserved, and Control just had BAD ENDING written all over it.

This. The Control Ending has to be considered the "worst" outcome I would think. Yet after putting over 200 hours (!) into the Mass Effect Universe I couldn't bring myself to wipe out the Reapers if that meant annihilating the Geth. Kind of went against everything the prior games had been laying out about sentient life. Or so I thought.

The synthesis ending seemed to be the least fucked of the three choices offered. The fact you need to unlock it seems to say to me that BioWare wants you to pick it. Its a shit ending.

I kept thinking i didn't have enough paragon or renegade to engage the space-kid. No? I just swallow all the shit he feeds me? Oh, because I'm bleeding out? Yah, that feels about right. Good ending.

Epic hero bleeds out and is tricked by a space-ghost charlatan into mass genocide.

Must have looked good on the white-board?

No way. At first glance, Control may seem like the worst ending, but it is actually the best.

-The citadel is not destroyed
-The mass relays do not explode, they "collapse"
-Joker doesn't do that stupid glance behind him as he is running away (it seems like an odd thing not to include right?)
-It seems to imply that Shepard takes the catalysts place (lots of speculation on my part)
-It's the blue ending

nel e nel

A few pages back--yes, most of my cut-scenes had invisible characters, jarring camera changes and characters that snapped in and out of different positions. Both discs installed to the HDD, all updates--run on a Jasper Arcade (with 120GB HDD).

Eh...there's this kind of jank in all the games. Been working on a new trilogy run, and nearing the end of ME2, Legion was totally invisible during the cut-scene at the end of it's loyalty mission, only to reappear after I made my decision about whether to reprogram or destroy the heretics.

Rufus

It coming out on Wii U, I guess?

Eh...there's this kind of jank in all the games. Been working on a new trilogy run, and nearing the end of ME2, Legion was totally invisible during the cut-scene at the end of it's loyalty mission, only to reappear after I made my decision about whether to reprogram or destroy the heretics.
I may be remembering it wrong, it's been a while, but I don't think these little issues were quite as frequent in ME2. The most annoying glitch in ME2 was the one where you can end up on furniture and random crates and such, without a way of getting down again. That's the one that stuck in my mind. ME3 has a hand full of different glitches that occur frequently, but don't force you to reload a save (getting stuck behind EDI's seat being the exception, but that's the only 'trap' that I remember).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It coming out on Wii U, I guess?

I don't understand why they're only releasing ME3 on Wii U, Nintendo-only owners have no idea what's happening in the story, so unless they do the same thing as the PS3 version of ME2 and release an interactive comic explaining ME1 & ME2(how long will that comic last before boring players anyway?), its just pointless.

rozay

Banned
I don't understand why they're only releasing ME3 on Wii U, Nintendo-only owners have no idea what's happening in the story, so unless they do the same thing as the PS3 version of ME2 and release an interactive comic explaining ME1 & ME2(how long will that comic last before boring players anyway?), its just pointless.
It's very clear that Mass Effect 3 will be a big hit on the Wii U with over 75 perfect review by reviewers who were not allowed to import a character!

zkylon

zkylewd
To me I guess in the end it's the experience I had at that moment that prevailed. I mean looking back I can see that there's a lot of stuff wrong with it, but I ain't really mad. I went out thinking 'well it wasn't that bad, quite serviceable', and the game ended there for me. All the brouhaha afterwards I see as sort of distinct to the game experience.
Oh, I'm not really mad either, I was furious at The Arrival and I didn't like most of Mass Effect 3 so the ending wasn't that much of a change for me.

I think the brouhaha experience is my favorite part of ME3 to be honest.

Well aren't you special? :)

This. The Control Ending has to be considered the "worst" outcome I would think. Yet after putting over 200 hours (!) into the Mass Effect Universe I couldn't bring myself to wipe out the Reapers if that meant annihilating the Geth. Kind of went against everything the prior games had been laying out about sentient life. Or so I thought.
Yes, exactly. PinkCrayon, you have to consider that when you make your choice, you don't know that all the endings are the same, and you don't really have a fucking clue what the hell is going on, so you basically make your choice in a state of confusion and dizziness. You've just seen the Illusive Man get played by the Reapers, so you just know trying to Control them is a bad choice, and you're biased against Destroy because the whole game has been showing the Geth as victims. I know a few people that didn't pick Synthesis, but I don't think I could've possibly done so at the time, or even now.

Yes, exactly. PinkCrayon, you have to consider that when you make your choice, you don't know that all the endings are the same, and you don't really have a fucking clue what the hell is going on, so you basically make your choice in a state of confusion and dizziness. You've just seen the Illusive Man get played by the Reapers, so you just know trying to Control them is a bad choice, and you're biased against Destroy because the whole game has been showing the Geth as victims. I know a few people that didn't pick Synthesis, but I don't think I could've possibly done so at the time, or even now.

It blows my mind that people would pick synthesis. It is so poorly explained and it is very unclear what exactly it will do. The first time through, for me, it boiled down to "well the last 2 games have been trying to show me that the geth are not evil machines trying to kill everyone, so destroy is out." and "well it seems pretty unethical to rewrite the DNA of every being in the galaxy, so control it is!"

Made sense to me. Control is also the hardest to watch, with Shepard trying so hard to hold on to those levers. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
It blows my mind that people would pick synthesis. It is so poorly explained and it is very unclear what exactly it will do. The first time through, for me, it boiled down to "well the last 2 games have been trying to show me that the geth are not evil machines trying to kill everyone, so destroy is out." and "well it seems pretty unethical to rewrite the DNA of every being in the galaxy, so control it is!"

Made sense to me. Control is also the hardest to watch, with Shepard trying so hard to hold on to those levers. :(
Well, my first actual move was to shoot the kid in the face. After that didn't work out, I had the feeling Control was a trap, and like you I wasn't gonna pick Destroy since it was unfair and evil, so I was left with no choice but Synthesis. The game biases you towards Synthesis by making the other choices "evil" in comparison. Synthesis is weird and dumb but at least it's not necessarily "evil".

I can understand picking Control or Destroy, since they both make some sense, but at that moment, after everything I went through to beat the Illusive Man and to save the Geth, there was no other choice for me.

Well, my first actual move was to shoot the kid in the face. After that didn't work out, I had the feeling Control was a trap, and like you I wasn't gonna pick Destroy since it was unfair and evil, so I was left with no choice but Synthesis. The game biases you towards Synthesis by making the other choices "evil" in comparison. Synthesis is weird and dumb but at least it's not necessarily "evil".

I can understand picking Control or Destroy, since they both make some sense, but at that moment, after everything I went through to beat the Illusive Man and to save the Geth, there was no other choice for me.

Why would control be a trap? If one of them was a trap then wouldn't they all be traps?

zkylon

zkylewd
Why would control be a trap? If one of them was a trap then wouldn't they all be traps?
You're exposed to the Control option when barely minutes ago you witnessed how the Illusive Man fell from grace as a victim of attempting to control the Reapers. I immediately dismissed the option as a result of that. A good game doesn't present you a shit choice out of the blue in the last five minutes of a 100+ hours series, and like I said before, that makes you choose poorly, because you're bewildered by the SUDDENLY STARCHILD stuff...

I don't know if Control is a bad choice, but all the people I knew that tried to control the Reapers didn't do such a good job on helping the galaxy. It was tempting as opposed to Gethicide, but fortunately Bioware had put up a wacky cop-out in the form of the Synthesis ending, so I chose that.

Did we play the same series? I don't disagree, but I also came away from the experience feeling that "control" isn't a great way to solve problems.

The Quarians tried to control the Geth. Worked out wonderfully.
The Reapers controlled the Racchni. No problems there.
The Illusive Man wanted greater control over his Cerberus troops. Splendid results.
The Illusive Man wanted to control the Reapers. Seems like he was on to something.

And after all of that, you chose control?

To me, the "control" option was for a) hypocrites who feel its bad for Reapers to control Humans but OK for Humans to control Reapers and b) people who don't give these things a lot of thought.

TIM gets the closest out of anyone to controlling the Reapers, and we are shown that that ends very poorly for him. Like, 2 minutes before you're given the option to follow in his footsteps. Memories are short it seems.

Destroy is for the new "its a great time to jump in to ME!!" players who only know that we're going to fight or we're going to die. Certainly anyone who's followed the whole Quarian/Geth debacle can't in good conscience pick Destroy.

By simple mode of elimination, the thoughtful gamer is left with nothing but the out-of-the-blue synthesis option that is poorly explained, but sounds somewhat less horrible than genocide or becoming TIM and learning absolutely nothing in 3 games' time.

A shitty, shitty, shit-covered, shitty shit ending.

"So the Illusive Man was right..."
"Yes, but he could never have controlled us, because we already controlled him."

Of course I chose control. It was the option that appeared to require the least sacrifice to acquire the desired outcome. This is assuming of course that Shepard was sending all the reapers into the nearest sun. Some speculation by me.

Did we play the same series? I don't disagree, but I also came away from the experience feeling that "control" isn't a great way to solve problems.

The Quarians tried to control the Geth. Worked out wonderfully.
The Reapers controlled the Racchni. No problems there.
The Illusive Man wanted greater control over his Cerberus troops. Splendid results.
The Illusive Man wanted to control the Reapers. Seems like he was on to something.

And after all of that, you chose control?

To me, the "control" option was for a) hypocrites who feel its bad for Reapers to control Humans but OK for Humans to control Reapers and b) people who don't give these things a lot of thought.

TIM gets the closest out of anyone to controlling the Reapers, and we are shown that that ends very poorly for him. Like, 2 minutes before you're given the option to follow in his footsteps. Memories are short it seems.

Destroy is for the new "its a great time to jump in to ME!!" players who only know that we're going to fight or we're going to die. Certainly anyone who's followed the whole Quarian/Geth debacle can't in good conscience pick Destroy.

By simple mode of elimination, the thoughtful gamer is left with nothing but the out-of-the-blue synthesis option that is poorly explained, but sounds somewhat less horrible than genocide or becoming TIM and learning absolutely nothing in 3 games' time.

A shitty, shitty, shit-covered, shitty shit ending.

Control isn't a bad choice and I'm sure others have very good reasons for choosing it. In my opinion, there's no wrong ending because we all have different motivations behind our decision. What is messed up are the plot points behind the ending, synthetics destroying organics, and that all of them have little to no differences in the ending
until the sequel
. If the Reapers wanted to screw Shepard, they would've done it.

Also, the Quarians tried to control the Geth until they gained consciousness of their awareness. Controlling them and controlling the Reapers are two different situations. I started from ME2 and still destroyed the Reapers. I hadn't just jumped. By the time I was at the end of the game, I wanted to wipe those motherfuckers out.

Aske

I was one of the (few?) people who wasn't expecting the ending to be as bad as people said, yet when presented with the awful, stupid choices I wanted to vomit. All three are fucking terrible. Control screamed 'Bad Ending', and felt like a final way to fuck up at the last minute. Yes, I know the kid says Shepard is special and totally not like the Illusive Man, but the space-child is the king of the Reapers so I didn't believe a word he said on that score. Destroy killed the Geth. Who are awesome. Fuck that. Synthesis is just monstrous.

So in a fit of jaded anger I picked Destroy, knowing I had enough EMS for Shepard to live. So fuck you space-god; at least Shepard will live.

Then I reloaded a save a few hours later and picked Control. It felt hollow.

No interest in seeing Synthesis.

This fucking game. Ugh.

I went up to a Bioware guy at E3 (Chris) and said, "So how's that ending DLC coming?" and he said, "Well. I'm not working on Mass Effect anymore! So I don't have to answer that!" D:

And I asked where Casey was and he didn't know. That was my in! Dammit.

fernoca

Welp, just finished a second playthrough on Insanity. Now I'm only missing the 5k kills achievement (at 3,800 right now :p).

The original playthrough was all paragon, this one was all renegade..and yet only half the renegade bar was filled. At least got some scars, character's maxed at Level 60.

This time, I went with destruction. Overall the same, though the randomness I suspected at first of the 3 characters in the ending, guess it turned out to be a combination of:
-Character #1: Joker (default)
-Character #2: Your relationship/partner
-Character #3: The character the you used the most in the squad

On the first playthrough, Cortez was my partner and he appeared in the end. Playthrough #2, Kaidan was my partner and he appeared.

On the original playthrough, character #3 was Javik which I used a lot, until I got Kaidan into the party and alternated the other one. Now, Vega appeared as character #3; which in a way confirms that character #3 doesn't die in that last part (my original doubt since Kaidan and Liara were my last squad and then I never saw them anymore) yet, Vega was in the final squad and he appeared after the crash.

Granted, I've read about people that their characters didn't made sense (or never used them); but at least in my case is the only explanation.

Overall, is "my game of the year" and the first time I complete a Mass Effect game..twice (and on Insanity :p). Love the multiplayer, so at least there's still an excuse to play (and to get the 5k kills).Still hope that the DLC answers a few questions and expands a ton of stuff. :p

rozay

Banned
I went up to a Bioware guy at E3 (Chris) and said, "So how's that ending DLC coming?" and he said, "Well. I'm not working on Mass Effect anymore! So I don't have to answer that!" D:
he made a thread on the multiplayer board about 13 hours ago, so that was probably an easy way to shoo you off.

Top Bottom