• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Please be considerate about re-posting that. The author deleted the post and ask not to have it re-posted.

Having it spread around everywhere could do real damage to his livelihood.

It is right there on Bioware's forum believe me I would never want to see anyone lose their job through anything I do. However since it is already on Bioware's forum they already know about it so having it posted here is not going to make that much of a difference to the guys job.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I can't help but smile at all the bullshit surrounding this "art or not art" business, or the gaming journalists being dicks, or whether or not DLC is going to resolve this issue.

Really, at the end of the day, Bioware fucked up major. Fuck the story for a minute and consider this: As gamers, how satisfying was the closure to relationships we were lead to believe were important by the end of the game? We built relationships and spent time making decisions over these relationships for 3 Entire Games. Five Fucking Years. It would take a moron to not see the common sense behind the idea that the resolution of these characters and relationships was a fucking joke.

Why did we hate but at the same time enjoy the deaths of Mordin and Thane? Well first, we were shocked and sad (emotions that may seem hyperbolic, but I'm speaking in terms of how much an individual can emote over a videogame) over their deaths. But we were satisfied at how they went out. Their characters got a proper ending, and it was well done, and for that, even though we hated that they were no longer with us, we were satisfied by how it happened. Now, consider everyone else, how did that end? It doesn't matter if they died or not. That's not what it's about. It's about the fact that Bioware did a shit job of giving us any kind of resolution with the shit we care about.

Was anyone happy when they saw their love interest get out of the ship and was ALIVE? No. Fuck no.

Bioware fucked up. I'm over it now.

Zomba13

I'm sympathetic to that, but the cat's out the bag. You don't speak to a crowd of strangers about things you might regret later. The internet is a public place like any other.

Yeah. If true then it sucks if it gets him in trouble but this is the internet. You don't put anything on here that you don't want people to see. Once it's out there it can't be swept under the rug.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm sympathetic to that, but the cat's out the bag. You don't speak to a crowd of strangers about things you might regret later. The internet is a public place like any other.

He's just trying to save us from wondering who, exactly, is to blame.

He's a IRL Marauder Shields. For the truth.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Down the road this whole mess is going to make a great feature article, if only there was a gaming journo who could actually do it properly.

inky

Witta really doesn't get it, does he. Yeah Witta, we wanted a Hollywood ending, we also didn't get The book of Eli XP

This is probably my biggest gripe with the ending. I put all that work into rallying the galaxy, but I didn't even get to see them in action. At the very least I hoped to see the Rachni queen show up and wreck shit. It left me wondering if it even mattered that I took the time to do almost every single quest.

Edit - it's not so much about being "rewarded" as it is about expecting the game to recognize my actions, and deliver a fitting payoff for everything I accomplished over the course of 30+ hours.

That it all amounted to just filling a green bar that affected almost nothing is part of what made me hate the final sequence, and definitely a place where they dropped the ball big time.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
People need to chill out and go buy XIII-2.

Lol, I think that's the only game that's even MORE blatant in
'the real ending is gonna be DLC'

Please be considerate about re-posting that. The author deleted the post and ask not to have it re-posted.

Having it spread around everywhere could do real damage to his livelihood.

To be fair, IF it's true, and the writer was aware of the controversy when posting it....there's no way he/she could not expect the disgruntled ME fans to pick it up and run with it.

Of course, I once thought that Casey and Mac would never do such a shitty ending, too.....

Duki

Banned
my god theyve confirmed theyre changing the ending?

ITS LIKE IN THE GREAT STORIES MR FRODO

THE ONES THAT REALLY MATTERED

FULL OF DARKNESS AND DANGER THEY WERE

SOMETIMES YOU DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW THE END

BECAUSE HOW COULD THE END BE HAPPY?

HOW COULD THE WORLD GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS WHEN SO MUCH BAD HAD HAPPENED?

victoryyyyy

we have victoryyyyyyyyyyyyy

cant believe theyre actually willing to try and unfuck this garbage

This is absolutely abysmal, why does this all have to happen around my favorite series. What was Hudson thinking? He's the complete reason for the rise and fall of this series.

I'm TELLING you, this has to be addressed in a way gamers wont like; and who gives a shit. Redo the ending of the game, the way the majority of the writers had envisioned and then release the game as a COMPLETE edition and charge ~$40-$60. It's the only way it can be completed, Bioware wont be able to get funding in order to redo it properly if they can't convince EA it will be profitable.

The ending should not reflect 1 guy's vision, it should have been the teams artistic collaboration. This is not artistic integrity we are dealing with, we are dealing with a mismanaged corporate cluster fuck.

Lol, I think that's the only game that's even MORE blatant in
'the real ending is gonna be DLC'

To be fair, IF it's true, and the writer was aware of the controversy when posting it....there's no way he/she could not expect the disgruntled ME fans to pick it up and run with it.

Of course, I once thought that Casey and Mac would never do such a shitty ending, too.....

Really? I'm sure the guy is dying to include his input, because his entire career is altered due to this ending debacle. But he can't go outright and say something, due to Bioware/EA's regulations. I'm sure he couldn't take it anymore and had to speak out, but wanted to hold some hope that we wouldn't plaster this all over Bioware/EA controlled areas.

Jarmel

Banned
I would love to be invisible inside the studio right now. It's got to be a bloodbath in waiting.

The ending should not reflect 1 guy's vision, it should have been the teams artistic collaboration. This is not artistic integrity we are dealing with, we are dealing with a mismanaged corporate cluster fuck.

No we're essentially dealing with bad fanfiction from people who didn't understand what they were doing.

Zeal

Banned
Played through the ending again. Even the fucking music that plays in the 'Citadel' in this part is all Twilight Zone mode. It is so clear that Bioware intended people to put this together from the beginning, that the sequence just isn't real.

I will support the indoctrination theory until it is proven true, because all logic in my mind supports it.

Played through the ending again. Even the fucking music that plays in the 'Citadel' in this part is all Twilight Zone mode. It is so clear that Bioware intended people to put this together from the beginning, that the sequence just isn't real.

I will support the indoctrination theory until it is proven true, because all logic in my mind supports it.

So when it's proven true, you'll stop believing it?

He's a guy who'd often post something and delete it a hour later at PA. Just to pass along some information but no permanent record to trace back to him.

I think he posted this very early on, very soon after the game came out an a only a few people have finished the game at the time. I don't think anyone envisioned the firestorm that was going to erupt, I don't think he would have posted it at all if he know what was coming.

K' Dash

They should do a separate ending ala End of Evangelion, fuck shit up to the levels your brain would explode, haha.

100120_heavy2.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. It's more of the same as before. Maybe they'll add something before the end that clears things up, or maybe add a few more lines to the Catalyst.

Yeah, I can't see them being able to even closely give the fans what they want.

I would like to see what percentage of people who didn't like the ending is. A lot people probably still have yet to experience it yet.

Dresden

I think a lot of the 'pieces' people see are just

a. lazy placeholders

b. relics from some attempt that never materialized

c. peruvian UFOs

It's pretty clear now that the ending is what it is.

Metroidvania

Really? I'm sure the guy is dying to include his input, because his entire career is altered due to this ending debacle. But he can't go outright and say something, due to Bioware/EA's regulations. I'm sure he couldn't take it anymore and had to speak out, but wanted to hold some hope that we wouldn't plaster this all over Bioware/EA controlled areas.

And that's fair, but again, IF it's true, he/she included way too much information on specific things he/she had worked on to not be caught. And if he/she wanted to get his/her say out, posting on one of the more popular video game forums is not the way to do it discretely.

I think he posted this very early on, very soon after the game came out an a only a few people have finished the game at the time. I don't think anyone envisioned the firestorm that was going to erupt, I don't think he would have posted it at all if he know what was coming.

See, that would make more sense. But again, this is all speculation unless its confirmed by someone.

edit: Priestly just said it wasn't written by Patrick Weekes, so therefore 99% fake.

Lothars

Yeah, I can't see them being able to even closely give the fans what they want.

I would like to see what percentage of people who didn't like the ending is. A lot people probably still have yet to experience it yet.
I would like to see that data as well, my thought is around 5%.

inky

You really are giving Bioware too much credit. Way too much.

And how does it make it better then, when your answer is that the game shipped without and ending at all, just so you could download it later on? That it was just an elaborate "it was all a dream" sequence, which you only uncover and could potentially continue out of only 1 specific path that of course not everyone took?

That would be miles worse than it just being a shitty ending.

Rufus

He's a guy who'd often post something and delete it a hour later at PA. Just to pass along some information but no permanent record to trace back to him.

That makes it only the tiniest bit better, because at the end of the day, there's no such thing as the 'down low' on a message board.
Regardless, I feel bad for the guy, even though he should have know better.

mxgt

Banned

Just listen to yourself for a second

You really are giving Bioware too much credit. Way too much.

And how does it make it better then, when your answer is that the game shipped without and ending at all, just so you could download it later on? Than it was just an elaborate "it was all a dream" sequence, which you only uncover and could potentially continue out of only 1 specific path that of course not everyone took?

That would be miles worse than it just being a shitty ending.
My main problem with the theory is that it doesn't solve anything. Shepard is still on Earth while the Reapers continue to destroy everything.

Pollux

Just listen to yourself for a second

Just look at the evidence...Indoc. theory makes sense. the only part that doesn't make sense is that there is no way the Bioware writers could have come up with it based on past performance. I still believe though.

My main problem with the theory is that it doesn't solve anything. Shepard is still on Earth while the Reapers continue to destroy everything.
Thus the ending DLC they've planned since the beginning that they're going to charge for...

Rufus

Indoctrination theory is a hilarious mix of confirmation bias and denial.
Just listened to the latest GWJ podcast (part ME3 spoilercast) and Julian Murdoch is totally in favour of it, haha. It didn't seem like he realized what the implications of that were, that is, the game doesn't actually have an ending.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
And that's exactly where the hopeful, deluded bastards indoctrination theorists want to be, because it lets the story continue. It lets the story be rewritten.

Poor saps.

Just look at the evidence...Indoc. theory makes sense. the only part that doesn't make sense is that there is no way the Bioware writers could have come up with it based on past performance. I still believe though.
It makes sense that Shep may have been suffering from emotional distress and that possibly even some kind pseudo-indoctrination during his dreams. However, it doesn't make sense because the conversation with Anderson and the Illusive Man happened. Shep even convinces TIM to stand down, defending against his control. BW describes TIM's ability to control as "mojo" so it's something that they wanted to leave undefined -- space magic!

Beyond that, it doesn't make sense for Shep to dream about the Catalyst and the final options. The Catalyst even mention's TIM's indoctrination as a way to resolve that TIM could never control the Reapers because they already controlled him. Shep's not indoctrinated, the ending happened exactly as BW wanted. It was vague, and an attempt to be "high level."

flyover

I think there's one more reason the press didn't lambaste the ending: because they didn't know what to think about it. People often wait to form (not just share, but even form) an opinion until they're sure that theirs falls into the acceptable range.

The reviewers knew the rest of the game could safely be called good, so that's what they based their review on. Because no reviewers stepped up and said the ending was crap, the other reviewers figured it probably wasn't crap.

From Garry Whitta blog post, I really don't understand the "gutsy" part. There is nothing "gutsy" or"ambitious" about the ending. If anything, it's rushed, non-nonsensical and poorly crafted:

Yeah, but he's in the industry (movies and gaming), so he has incentive not to be too mean. 1) He may come across (or already know) the writers, 2) he understands how hard it is to write a satisfying story, 3) He's been on the receiving end of audience anger (which probably explains his weird lashing out in the last paragraph), and 4) he generally seems like a nice guy.

If he wants to like the ending and can convince himself it's brave and good, more power to him. Even if he's wrong.

Love that Forbes article about the Muzyka press release.

Just saw another LOTR parody on the Mass Deflect tumblr. This is perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/Gentlegamer/ForMarauderShields.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36228897&postcount=1604"]longer version[/URL] is better

I would like to see that data as well, my thought is around 5%.

Hahahahah. Oh wow. Maybe 5% of the people who hate the ending have actually said something. But seriously?

edit: RE: Indoctrination

I never bought it from the day I finished the game. If it had been intended, and had an ending within the game, it would have been great.
As an escape valve- it has potential. I want the ending not to suck. I want Bioware to redeem themselves. Its not like I will forget, but I can certainly try and forgive.

Omega

Banned
I am still skeptical of that PA post, more specifically when he goes on the second half regarding the colour ending choices. Still, would love to have this source confirmed.

Same here, but the other side of me believes it's real.

When you think about, the endgame has NOTHING in common with the rest of the game, let alone the rest of the series. Judging by Mac Walter's "high-level" speech, I'm leaning towards believing this.

There's no way all the writers would have agreed to this. It just doesn't fit and erases all the work they put to make the story.

Why didnt we understand the true boss and all the emotions in the first place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=467pmIX-oZo#!

Marauder Shields, the bravest video game character in history. When no one working for Bioware would stand up to the ending, it was Marauder Shields who held the line. He died trying to protect the fans from harm. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. RIP :(

Marauder Shields deserves some attention.

Epic shit, xD

But you don't get it. It's HIGH LEVEL and a brilliant twist, and YOU, THE PLAYER, have also been Indoctrinated. Who cares about what happens after you pick the Renegade option that's maybe actually the Paragon choice, and is the only way that Shepard doesn't die, while the Reapers and your massive galactic fleet continue to do battle? That stuff is worthless now that WE'VE ALL BEEN HIT BY THIS TWIST.

OMG SO GOOD THANKS BIOWARE

McNei1y

Even if the Indoctrination theory is true, it still isn't an ending. It just goes from Shepard giving in/defeat it and then to weird explosions and a random scene about Shepard's legacy. It's a good way to clear up all of the confusion though.

Edit: Didn't see heliosRAzi say the same thing before me.

Metroidvania

Theoretically, in the free DLC/Patch (lol), Shepard wakes up, fights Harbinger, beats up the reapers, cue the epilogue slideshow/cutscene. All wrapped up.

The alternative point to the 'indoctrination theory' is that it could very well be free, and a huge source of press for EA/Bioware. All they have to do is say they held back the endings due to the leak since they didn't want the trolls to ruin it for those who couldn't get the game as early.

Boom, instant video game media Bioware-love frenzy. "bioware's so daring, so gutsy..." etc.

It even helps them to get over the DA2 hump.

Too bad the Final Hours app negated that. Although Geoff Keighley did say it was getting update in a few weeks.....

/Devil's advocate.

Dresden

The alternative point to the 'indoctrination theory' is that it could very well be free, and a huge source of press for EA/Bioware. All they have to do is say they held back the endings due to the leak since they didn't want the trolls to ruin it for those who couldn't get the game as early.

Boom, instant video game media Bioware-love frenzy. "bioware's so daring, so gutsy..." etc.

It even helps them to get over the DA2 hump.

Too bad the Final Hours app negated that. Although Geoff Keighley did say it was getting update in a few weeks.....

/Devil's advocate.

Right now I'm imagining a bunch of interns working under Mac Walters feverishly scribbling away notes on Heidegger and Kant, forging big notebooks stuffed with grand designs for the Ending That Never Was.

Then Keighley will put up some scans and suddenly, DLC announcement.

Reviewers don't beat games.

Pretty sure when they get sent a copy, they get sent a note along with it that says "include this in your review"

Actually it's the opposite.

I got so many nintendo review code with 3+ pages notes of stuff to not include. It goes from unlockables (to avoid spoilers) to something really tedious details like loading or technical limitations or localisation times

Top Bottom