• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Never was a big fan of Mark Meers as Commander Shepard not saying he was "bad" just always preferred femshep. However I liked what he had to say here :-

Mark Meers said:
I don't actually know anything about their actual plans (and I couldn't say anything if I did), but I do know that there will be upcoming DLC. Changing or expanding the end of the game wouldn't be unprecedented. The gaming community saw it a few years ago with Fallout 3 from Bethesda and the Broken Steel DLC. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and didn't really have a problem with its ending, but was thrilled to get the Broken Steel disc. Obviously, if Bioware wants to record more dialogue, I'd be there. I'm definitely scheduled to record more dialogue for DLC, but at this stage, I don't know what that will entail.

http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/mark-meer-changing-or-expanding-end-game-wouldnt-be-unprecedented?page=0,2

Nice to see a VO that takes an active interest in the medium they work in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well I was thinking of the full sales and if they sold 3 million or around that than for 5% to be upset about the ending that would be about 150,000.

The majority of people never even beat games.

Every single thing that gets posted on the Mass Effect facebook gets swamped(by different people) saying the ending is shit, every Mass Effect video on youtube has turned into the ending being shit, etc.

And if BW goes with it, we're all fucked.

ART (tm).

I think we expect missions that will explain why TIM is able to control at least Anderson (another Kahlee Sanders mission or something. Oh wait, no she died, hahahahaha), something that adds to the keeper-citadel relation and some rogue AI or similar thing to 'drive the point home'.

Obviously, the best and most efficient way would be to simply add a few lines of dialogue to the ending and be done with it, but I'm guess they're going with missions anyway. I fully expect the endings to remain fubar, as they cannot be fixed anyway. To do so would require doing the game over nearly as a whole.

I mean: that cutscene at the Citadel where Kai Leng 'reports' to TIM and he's all "next time, Gadget". Yeah, that shit needs to go. Why that scene even exists would be my question. Same for the dreams after allowing thousands of people to die without any sympathy or regret.
Just cut that shit, nobody gives a shit and it doesn't change the story. We don't need to know what Shepard dreams about, we just need to know he's breaking down under all the stress.

(also, those sequences made the indoc. theory work in the first place)

Patryn

Well I was thinking of the full sales and if they sold 3 million or around that than for 5% to be upset about the ending that would be about 150,000.

But proof has just been shown that a large percentage of a poll shows dissatisfaction. What proof do you have that it's just a small minority?

Derrick01

Banned
So I just saw that post that was supposedly from one of the writers, holy shit.

It pretty much backs up what was already rumored, that Mac and Casey had some bizarre last minute ego trip and it's really dickish of them to not even clue the others in.

Assuming that it was genuine of course.

Lothars

The majority of people never even beat games.

Every single thing that gets posted on the Mass Effect facebook gets swamped(by different people) saying the ending is shit, every Mass Effect video on youtube has turned into the ending being shit, etc.
Yeah I know but it`s not easy to say offically how many people did or didn`t like the ending or not. I am also not saying anyone is wrong for not liking the ending more just calculating my thoughts on the amount of people.

But proof has just been shown that a large percentage of a poll shows dissatisfaction. What proof do you have that it's just a small minority?
I have no proof either but nobody really knows how many offically like or dislike the ending or are indifferent to it, maybe we will never know.

Actually it's the opposite.

I got so many nintendo review code with 3+ pages notes of stuff to not include. It goes from unlockables (to avoid spoilers) to something really tedious details like loading or technical limitations or localisation times

then what's the point of even reviewing it?

If it clearly is not a review and you don't have to account for the 'I worked my ass off to pay for this and THIS is what I get?' feeling, what would be the point?
(as much as devs are overworked and have shitty working conditions, it's not fair to just assume that the average customer is better off. In fact almost every study on it indicates otherwise)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Have you guys already discussed how much Kei Leng sucked? He stuck out like a sore thumb. But at least I got to stab him to death.

Jasoneyu

It pretty much backs up what was already rumored, that Mac and Casey had some bizarre last minute ego trip and it's really dickish of them to not even clue the others in.

Well if is its true it does explain the crazy disconnect between the rest of the game (which arguably had better writting) vs the writing we got at the end. I mean, it really felt like it didn't fit/alluded to what happened 99% of the game was leading up to.

If they shift 3 million copies, that 3 mill number is shipped not sold. Now at least 50% won't even experience the ending (according to ME 2 stats only 50% ever finished the game). Then when you look at various polls not just the Bioware one they are all showing the same thing which is between 70 - 90% of those voting hate the ending.

Now obviously the only way to get a truly accurate number is to ask every person that bought ME 3 about whether they liked the ending but that is not feasible. There is enough of a trend in all the stats to suggest that a HUGE number of people are incredibly dissatisfied with the ending and I would say it is the majority especially when you start to see old Ray Muzyka is being carted out to do blogs about how wonderful the game is but they are hearing fans and are "listening".

He ain't gonna do it for free.

I wouldn't expect him to do it for free and I wasn't commenting on whether he should or should not get paid. I just thought it was kinda nice to see a VO that also had an interest in video gaming that is all.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

B-b-b-but the silent apathetic majority clearly hasn't stated anything!

Actually, Jessica Merizan did pop onto the BSN and explained her belief in the 90-9-1% rule of people who just lurk, people who express themselves on forums and such, and people who go beyond that and create stuff like fanart or memes or whatever.

She kind of-sort of stated that both the 'likers and dislikers' were possibly separate sets of the 90-9-1% rule, but looking through all of the info I've seen, I've yet to see any of the 'we liked the ending' explain their logic with half as much thought as the naysayers, not to mention their virtual lack of presence anywhere.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Actually, Jessica Merizan did pop onto the BSN and explained her belief in the 90-9-1% rule of people who just lurk, people who express themselves on forums and such, and people who go beyond that and create stuff like fanart or memes or whatever.

She kind of-sort of stated that both the 'likers and dislikers' were possibly separate sets of the 90-9-1% rule, but looking through all of the info I've seen, I've yet to see any of the 'we liked the ending' explain their logic with half as much thought as the naysayers, not to mention their virtual lack of presence anywhere.

Also "anecdotal" and all that, but even talking with customers/friends at the Resident evil:ORC midnight a couple nights ago, the general consensus among people there, was that the ending to ME3 sucked. And these are very much people that would fall into the 90%

Vamphuntr

For the other DLCs I guess we will get a new squadmate (Aria?). There's a free room on the Normandy (Life Support) with no one going in for the whole duration of the game. All the other rooms are used by other characters at some point.

Dresden

Also "anecdotal" and all that, but even talking with customers/friends at the Resident evil:ORC midnight a couple days back, the general consensus among people there, was that it sucked. And these are very much people that would fall into the 90%

So uh, why were they buying it? :lol

Seriously, that game is a disaster.

Dresden

For the other DLCs I guess we will get a new squadmate (Aria?). There's a free room on the Normandy (Life Support) with no one going in for the whole duration of the game. All the other rooms are used by other characters at some point.

Additional characters? I don't know, I don't want them to compromise their artistic integrity.

You know what could do: make a poll...

Oh wait...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Thats Marauder Shields's room

Zeliard

I wouldn't expect him to do it for free and I wasn't commenting on whether he should or should not get paid. I just thought it was kinda nice to see a VO that also had an interest in video gaming that is all.

What I'm saying is, if they are bringing voice actors back you can expect they're going to charge for whatever they have planned.

I don't think EA will charge for this because the backlash would be even bigger, so I expect whatever they have planned here to be something fairly minor. Unless they just have bits of unused dialogue or something relevant to the ending that they recorded but never put in the final game.

There is actually at least one example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWpd9nCKws

Keith David is a fucking boss.

Jarmel

Banned

Did she really? That's so full of shit. I hope she ha some solid numbers about the people who enjoyed the ending but I'm sure she's just pulling it out of her ass.

Einbroch

Banned
Why the hell would they cut those lines from the game?! Good God, Bioware. You already spent the money, why.

I know I'm not "entitled" to anything, but seriously. UGH.

flyover

...but looking through all of the info I've seen, I've yet to see any of the 'we liked the ending' explain their logic with half as much thought as the naysayers, not to mention their virtual lack of presence anywhere.

And it doesn't help that the ending haters are being a bit mischaracterized. Many of the real reasons people disliked the ending (covered well in the Google Doc and the Angry Joe video) aren't being mentioned in most coverage -- probably because both the gaming outlets (particularly ones that reviewed the game positively) and Bioware/EA have incentive to marginalize the complaints and complainers, in order to justify their own decisions.

Have you guys already discussed how much Kei Leng sucked? He stuck out like a sore thumb. But at least I got to stab him to death.

I enjoyed him, he could have been more integral -- but I appreciated his inclusion.

I still think 98% of ME3 is absolutely brilliant.

Jarmel

Banned

An earlier statement by Weekes backs this up. Hudson and Walters definitely did this alone.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
vpPQ5.png

was it ever revealed why Legion was wearing a piece of Shepard's armor specifically? when you ask in ME2, he says no data available, and i don't think its mentioned in ME3?

Now that we know they had nothing planned for the ending. Why the fuck was Merizan alluding to so much? She kept winking and saying, "I'd save MY save!". Screw off...

Zeliard

was it ever revealed why Legion was wearing a piece of Shepard's armor specifically? when you ask in ME2, he says no data available, and i don't think its mentioned in ME3?

He was searching for Shep, was heavily damaged and stumbled upon remnants of Shep's armor at the Normandy crash site, which he then used to try and patch himself up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

That fact that he hesitates and says no data available is all the telling you need tbh.

J-Rod

I like to think the game ended after being knocked out. Shep taking a breath at the end is him waking from his dream after the reapers destroyed everything and moved on. Everyone died and the cycle continues. It makes sense to me and gives closure. At least it makes more sense than Shep surviving an explosion in space then an orbital free fall onto a pile of jagged rocks while already half dead.

He was searching for Shep, was heavily damaged and stumbled upon remnants of Shep's armor at the Normandy crash site, which he then used to try and patch himself up.

yeah that was brought up in the dialogue tho, and Shepard says that he could have used any other armor or scrap at any other time. Legion then proceeds to say no data available.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like to think the game ended after being knocked out. Shep taking a breath at the end is him waking from his dream after the reapers destroyed everything and moved on. Everyone died and the cycle continues. It makes sense to me and gives closure. At least it makes more sense than Shep surviving an explosion in space then an orbital free fall onto a pile of jagged rocks while already half dead.

Time for Lazerus, bitches!

So I've already decided that I wouldn't play ME3 (though I played ME1 and ME2) due to the fiasco of DA2 and that fact that I don't really want to install Origin on my PC and don't want to break out my broken ass 360 to play it, so I already know what happens.

At first I disliked what happened (shocker) but I looked more into the "3 different endings" and right now I'm having a hard time finding out what's wrong with it.

So here are the 3 endings (from my understanding) with maxed out everything, Destroy, Control, and Synthesize.

In Destroy, Shepard lives (I think), Reapers get pwned and Earth is saved (the people anyway), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Control, Shepard dies (somehow he controls the Reapers in death?), Reapers leave and Earth is saved, Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Synthesize, Shepard is something (I can't tell if he/she lives or dies), Reapers leave and Earth is saved (everyone is synthesized), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashed onto planet (also synthesized).

And then there's the secret ending with the grandpa and child which I have no idea what's that supposed to mean...

So can someone explain to me why said endings are bad? I'm not saying the endings are good, just confused and seek to understand.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I've already decided that I wouldn't play ME3 (though I played ME1 and ME2) due to the fiasco of DA2 and that fact that I don't really want to install Origin on my PC and don't want to break out my broken ass 360 to play it, so I already know what happens.

At first I disliked what happened (shocker) but I looked more into the "3 different endings" and right now I'm having a hard time finding out what's wrong with it.

So here are the 3 endings (from my understanding) with maxed out everything, Destroy, Control, and Synthesize.

In Destroy, Shepard lives (I think), Reapers get pwned and Earth is saved (the people anyway), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Control, Shepard dies (somehow he controls the Reapers in death?), Reapers leave and Earth is saved, Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Synthesize, Shepard is something (I can't tell if he/she lives or dies), Reapers leave and Earth is saved (everyone is synthesized), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashed onto planet (also synthesized).

And then there's the secret ending with the grandpa and child which I have no idea what's that supposed to mean...

So can someone explain to me why said endings are bad? I'm not saying the endings are good, just confused and seek to understand.

Umm try the links in the OP. They should tell you.

Top Bottom