• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

flyover

So can someone explain to me why said endings are bad? I'm not saying the endings are good, just confused and seek to understand.

Since you're already spoiling yourself, read the docs and watch the vids from the OP. Easier and faster than rehashing everything here. May help you some.

Patryn

The prayer scene works a lot better for FemShep, because you have have Shep ask Kolyat "At the end of the prayer, it said she.... who is she?", which works a lot better than him just telling you straight out.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Now that we know they had nothing planned for the ending. Why the fuck was Merizan alluding to so much? She kept winking and saying, "I'd save MY save!". Screw off...

PR speak? Mark Gamble did the same thing, and was later retweeted by the official ME twitter as 'if the fans knew what was planned, the reaction would be quite different'. Yet they haven't clued us in on anything, therefore, the likelihood of nothing being planned for a 'secret ending' increases.

And here's a more in-depth explanation of Merizan's post, I don't think I did it justice explanation wise.

3) The above rule is quite simple. 90% of consumers will passively engage in the product through consumption (such as playing a video game). They might lurk on forums or read articles. 9% of these people will take it a step further and actively engage in discussions and talk. These are the people that you rely on for WOM sales (word of mouth). They'll "like" a post on Facebook, share it to their wall, reply to a forum thread, RT or reply to something on Twitter. Then you have people who take it one step further and create content based on the original product. These are your fan artists, cosplayers, and even as simple as someone who starts a forum thread or makes a youtube video.

3A) An example I gave of this on Twitter is 3 products that I enjoy: Dominos pizza, the television show The Venture Brothers, and the Mass Effect Franchise. While I spend an embarrassing amount of money on Dominos every month, I don't discuss my purchase online with my friends. I haven't "Liked" their page on Facebook and I'm not a member of their community. I'm still an important consumer and I vote with my wallet. However I'm in that 90% that Dominos is constantly trying to engage with pizza ordering widgets to share on my Facebook wall etc. But I'm not biting. On the other hand, I'm a much more vocal consumer of the Venture Brothers. I'm in the 9% there. I've been a member of several fan sites, tuned into their livestreams and donated money during their charity drives, I tweet quotes from the show and am involved in discussions with other fans I met online. And finally, long before I worked for BioWare, I was in the 1% of this community. Even though I didn't go on the forums much (other than lurk), I created costumes, spread my love of their games at conventions, actively participated in their facebook initiatives etc.

3B) This doesn't just apply to people who like something. This applies to consumption as a whole. The 9% vocal minority isn't a bunch of naysayers. It's literally just the vocal bunch out of the entire group. It includes people who like, dislike, and are neutral. The media has just latched onto "vocal minority" as if it's a bad thing. It's not. It's just the way consumption works. Go look at any Facebook page, specifically their "People Talking About This" (PTAT). We consider 10% a great number. 20% is off the charts. But it rarely goes above that. It's just the way things work.

Also, the endings thing.

P.P.S. Yes, as someone previously mentioned we are actively monitoring how many people are finishing the game and comparing it to ME2 as a standard. This is the primary reason that we have held off on discussing the endings, for better or worse. You can expect fuller details later, but when I ask you to be patient it's not because I hate you or am scrambling to find the right words to say. I will tell you that I'm really encouraged by the feedback I'm getting and what I'm hearing from the team and I look forward to when that can be shared. Also, multiplayer numbers are a completely separate metric so you don't need to worry about us conflating the two.

Link here

So I've already decided that I wouldn't play ME3 (though I played ME1 and ME2) due to the fiasco of DA2 and that fact that I don't really want to install Origin on my PC and don't want to break out my broken ass 360 to play it, so I already know what happens.

At first I disliked what happened (shocker) but I looked more into the "3 different endings" and right now I'm having a hard time finding out what's wrong with it.

So here are the 3 endings (from my understanding) with maxed out everything, Destroy, Control, and Synthesize.

In Destroy, Shepard lives (I think), Reapers get pwned and Earth is saved (the people anyway), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Control, Shepard dies (somehow he controls the Reapers in death?), Reapers leave and Earth is saved, Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashes onto planet.

In Synthesize, Shepard is something (I can't tell if he/she lives or dies), Reapers leave and Earth is saved (everyone is synthesized), Mass Relays get pwned, Joker and Normandy crashed onto planet (also synthesized).

And then there's the secret ending with the grandpa and child which I have no idea what's that supposed to mean...

So can someone explain to me why said endings are bad? I'm not saying the endings are good, just confused and seek to understand.

It's pointless to discuss this with someone who hasn't played the game.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Me, too. I enjoyed the game and the series a ton. So glad I played them. I'm actually a little surprised with myself for letting the ending undo some of the goodwill I had toward the games, but it has done so.
We know fellow brother. We know how it feels.

Wiggum2007

It'd be cool if one of the endings you failed to completely stop the reapers, then there's an end sequence thousands of years later of some alien race finding one of Liara's time capsules.

Arjen

After watching that Angry Joe video i'm completly convinced the Idoctrination Theory is real.

/edit
On thing what i didn't read before, when you walk up to the cherry magic tube, you're no longer limping, nice touch.

It'd be cool if one of the endings you failed to completely stop the reapers, then there's an end sequence thousands of years later of some alien race finding one of Liara's time capsules.

Yes, I can't believe they bothered with that time capsule scene and forgot about it.

This would make even the downer ending of Reaper wins end on a note of hope, that even if Shepard doesn't beat them he will have laid the ground for their defeat in the future. It would be very much the "bittersweet" feeling they claimed they were going for.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yes, I can't believe they bothered with that time capsule scene and forgot about it.

This would make even the downer ending of Reaper wins end on a note of hope, that even if Shepard doesn't beat them he will have laid the ground for their defeat in the future. It would be very much the "bittersweet" feeling they claimed they were going for.

Steven King did it!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The prayer scene works a lot better for FemShep, because you have have Shep ask Kolyat "At the end of the prayer, it said she.... who is she?", which works a lot better than him just telling you straight out.

I will await you across the sea.

A better ending awaits across the sea.

so you WON'T play the game but you ask someone to explain what's wrong with the endings? dafuq?
go play and finish ME3 and come back. everything will be clear. ;)

Lime

So today my colleague said during a meeting on a current EU-project we're doing:

"It doesn't matter what colours we are using for the project: It can be red or blue or green."

I laughed inside myself and then my heart sank a little.

Reading about this dark energy thing that was supposed to be part of the ME3 plot, I can't believe they would actually ditch that.

Having that as the main reason would actually have gone a long way towards justifying ME2's plot, and been much better than having one of the biggest inconsistencies I've ever seen as the 'motivation' of the antagonists.

Zeal

Banned
People who are so against the indoctrination theory still can't prove it wrong, so FU.

Sticking to my guns with all the rest. Hold the line.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
What I'm saying is, if they are bringing voice actors back you can expect they're going to charge for whatever they have planned.

I don't think EA will charge for this because the backlash would be even bigger, so I expect whatever they have planned here to be something fairly minor. Unless they just have bits of unused dialogue or something relevant to the ending that they recorded but never put in the final game.

There is actually at least one example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWpd9nCKws

Keith David is a fucking boss.

EA will charge for any DLC, regardless of whether it's a new ending or not.

So today my colleague said during a meeting on a current EU-project we're doing:

"It doesn't matter what colours we are using for the project: It can be red or blue or green."

I laughed inside myself and then my heart sank a little.

You know you indoctrinated, right?

Welcome to the highest of levels.

Dresden

I too believe in the indoctrination theory.

vmDkv.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I still can't believe that anyone is still on board with the Indoctrination theory.

Stop it.
It's because the conspiracy theorists are always the most vocal.

Here's a start.

1. The Catalyst admits to Shepard that TIM was indoctrinated. Shepard was never mentioned or implied as being controlled.
  2. The dream sequences are events that revolve around Shepard's life. This includes Reapers, the vent kid for some reason, the deaths of others, and those he has worked with (TIM). The flames could be related to the kid's fiery death.
  3. The sounds you hear when vent kid disappear continue on during Anderson's conversation and after Shep goes through the door.
  4. Not all humming is related to indoctrination.
  5. The AI's shape -- that of a child -- may have been produced by tapping into Shep's subconcious. TIM tells us that the Reapers are 1000-fold more advanced than humans. They can seep into your mind.
  6. Shepard was not the source of indoctrination at Thessia. The VI detected only Kai Leng.
  7. Shepard refuses to give into TIM's control -- what BioWare calls "control mojo" in the script.
  8. The black tendrils that appear around Shepard's neck disappear as soon as TIM realizes he's being controlled.
  9. The events after the elevator are presented in a higher-state-of-existence format. This does not put indoctrination forward.
  10. Infinite ammo is not proof for a dream sequence. Infinite ammo was used during the fight with Eva.

Derrick01

Banned
CNN, Fox News, BBC.

Yeah, I have no idea how either.

I can explain CNN's at least. They run a lot of small stories and bullshit around on Saturdays because...I don't know, I guess nothing happens on the weekends.

But still I was kind of surprised to see it when I was channel surfing.

flyover

In 99% of cases, yeah, but they've never had a reaction quite like this, I don't think. Ending controversy made its way to CNN, somehow.

Yeah, I'd bet it's likely to be free, both to earn them some positive PR, and to try and make those who complained look petty.

Goddamit! This is such a rollercoaster. I'm back to being excited, they keep hyping up April...

"Thank you for saying so! We hope April will change your feelings about the end..."

I'll still hold onto some hope...

Dresden

Goddamit! This is such a rollercoaster. I'm back to being excited, they keep hyping up April...

"Thank you for saying so! We hope April will change your feelings about the end..."

I'll still hold onto some hope...

Just move on. Look back at the end of the year and if anything happened, be pleasantly surprised.

People who are so against the indoctrination theory still can't prove it wrong, so FU.

Sticking to my guns with all the rest. Hold the line.

The Desperation Theory is shit because it doesn't solve the main plot. It just provides an out for Bioware. That's it.

DTKT

Here's a start.

1. The Catalyst admits to Shepard that TIM was indoctrinated. Shepard was never mentioned or implied as being controlled.
  2. The dream sequences are events that revolve around Shepard's life. This includes Reapers, the vent kid for some reason, the deaths of others, and those he has worked with (TIM). The flames could be related to the kid's fiery death.
  3. The sounds you hear when vent kid disappear continue on during Anderson's conversation and after Shep goes through the door.
  5. The AI's shape -- that of a child -- may have been produced by tapping into Shep's subconcious. TIM tells us that the Reapers are 1000-fold more advanced than humans. They can seep into your mind.
  6. Shepard was not the source of indoctrination at Thessia. The VI detected only Kai Leng.
  7. Shepard refuses to give into TIM's control -- what BioWare calls "control mojo" in the script.
  8. The black tendrils that appear around Shepard's neck disappear as soon as TIM realizes he's being controlled.
  9. The events after the elevator are presented in a higher-state-of-existence format. This does not put indoctrination forward.
  10. Infinite ammo is not proof for a dream sequence. Infinite ammo was used during the fight with Eva.

I just think anyone supporting that theory is giving Bioware too much credit.

DTKT

A small nugget of info from Ray Muzyka on Garry Whitta's G+:)lol) account:

Gary - thanks for the thoughtful comments. To clarify one specific comment you've made: we're not scrambling to react - rather, we're considering the feedback carefully (we value the feedback from our audience of fans) - and we're going to respond to it in a way that both considers the audience as co-creators in our artistic journey and yet thoroughly maintains the artistic integrity of the team's original choices. We'll have more details to share in April. In the meantime:

https://plus.google.com/114522811866073303399/posts/cEHjZ4gtdUR?hl=en

Here's a start.

Other than 6, none of the other ones say anything about indoctrination, all they say is "it might not have to be indoctrination."

So really you gave one solid argument against.

Jarmel

Banned
I like to think the game ended after being knocked out. Shep taking a breath at the end is him waking from his dream after the reapers destroyed everything and moved on. Everyone died and the cycle continues. It makes sense to me and gives closure. At least it makes more sense than Shep surviving an explosion in space then an orbital free fall onto a pile of jagged rocks while already half dead.

Canon Shepard confirmed to be Vanguard. Always be charging.

Zen

Banned
So I just saw that post that was supposedly from one of the writers, holy shit.

It pretty much backs up what was already rumored, that Mac and Casey had some bizarre last minute ego trip and it's really dickish of them to not even clue the others in.

Assuming that it was genuine of course.

Link?

bigace33

No man, the "she" is the false deity that they were praying to. It was some sort of anti war deity and they revealed that the prayer was for shep since Thane had already made peace with all the blood he has shed. lol fem shep

Top Bottom