• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I thought the dream stuff was pretty decent. It didn't need to be redone 3 times though.

Okay, so best songs in the series go to An End Once and For All and Mass Effect 1's theme song. Both are fantastic representation of the entire experience and bookend the journey perfectly.

Great, emotional opening that is evocative of beginnings and exploration themes for the opening, and a sad, sparse ending utilizing themes of emptiness for the end. Can't fault the sound director, musicians attached with the series whatsoever. They did a great job.

yep, but as mentioned int he previous OT, that kid made no sense. they should've used people you knew from the previous games, not some random kid.
It's so obvious that they should've done it and it astounds me that they went with the kid in order to garner emotions.

How many of you tried to shoot the Catalyst first time through? *raises hand*

Turfster

So...
What was the point of the dream sequences again?

To piss you off and pad time since you can fucking lose the kid...

Sorry, they're "art" and "deep" and show how much Shepard cares about one random kid's death (and not the billions of other dead kids, of course).

LiK

Maybe this returning thing will help further along them deciding to fix the ending or not.

the major backlash in BSN, twitter, emails, forums, user reviews, Child's Play donations and returns are probably having some impact. man, who knew this would turn out to be such a shitstorm.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
the awkward moment when "LiK" posts in a thread that's called "taste the rainbow". so awkward.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
Alright, so I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there've been a lot of repeated arguments against those of us who are complaining about the ending and I'd rather vent to sympathetic people than the comments section of a blog that'll never be looked at.

1) If games are art then demanding a changed ending negates authorial intent.

I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that Mass Effect is high art here. It's Star Wars, it's Harry Potter, it's Buffy. It's well liked and for the most part very well made but it's not a paragon of all that is true and beautiful. Art games and commercial games are different, and I doubt an art game could ever garner this level of passion anyways.

2) You're just complaining because you don't like sad endings.

Man this one is getting old. I haven't seen anyone seriously asking for the ice cream and puppies ending to ME3. I won't mind if everyone dies and the mass relays get destroyed, hell that just makes the future uncertain and leaves room for ME4 if they wanted. What we want is for the ending to MAKE SENSE. Faulty logic, poor characterization, and space magic are not satisfying after 100 hours of more or less solid world building.

3) It's Bioware's game and they can end it how they want.

I'd have an easier time swallowing this if I really thought Bioware was internally responsible for the ending. You know that some EA focus group designed the ending, Bioware's writing has never been this shaky in ME and it's hard to believe they'd let it all slip through their fingers in the last few minutes. We knew that they had an ending planned since the first game, they didn't have to use it but they've clearly been thinking about this for a long time. Maybe it's deflecting the blame but I think most of use believe this was EA's fault (it's easy to hate on the big guy).

Anyways, /rant.

Grisby

I think I must be one of the few who hated the ending but is still totally unwilling to return my copy of ME3. I mean overall I still liked it. It's quite possible that it may make my top 10 GOTY.
Not at all. Most of the core game is excellent. Tons of callbacks and great moments. I'm going to do a second go through when I get done with Silent Hill.

It's just the ending cuts deep.

the awkward moment when "LiK" posts in a thread that's called "taste the rainbow". so awkward.

tumblr_lowckfADiw1qzyfvyo1_400.gif

Harlock

People who finished the game will not buy DLC knowing the bad ending. Don´t make sense or feel good playing more side missions when everything end in that way.

BeesEight

Okay, so best songs in the series go to An End Once and For All and Mass Effect 1's theme song. Both are fantastic representation of the entire experience and bookend the journey perfectly.

An End Once and For All really doesn't do it for me. I much prefer Suicide Mission myself. I do agree on Mass Effect 1's theme, though.

LiK

Not at all. Most of the core game is excellent. Tons of callbacks and great moments. I'm going to do a second go through when I get done with Silent Hill.

It's just the ending cuts deep.

yep, i think the backlash came from three games' worth of enjoying the characters and world and the ending basically throws it all away.

sure, i don't mind if Shepard sacrificed him/herself but the ending also threw out your effort to save the world with the Galactic Readiness and Military Strength. they turn out to not matter at all at the end. that's my personal beef with it even tho i didn't hate the ending.

I'd have an easier time swallowing this if I really thought Bioware was internally responsible for the ending. You know that some EA focus group designed the ending, Bioware's writing has never been this shaky in ME and it's hard to believe they'd let it all slip through their fingers in the last few minutes. We knew that they had an ending planned since the first game, they didn't have to use it but they've clearly been thinking about this for a long time. Maybe it's deflecting the blame but I think most of use believe this was EA's fault (it's easy to hate on the big guy).

Anyways, /rant.

I think the problem is that they didn't focus test it. Hudson and Walters wanted the ending to be this way. We have seen notes on the ending where Walters wrote LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Let me just say that returning a game because you didn't like the ending is one of the most petty asshole things I've heard.

Also, doing it to make a "statement" to Bioware/EA does nothing, since Amazon simply eats the price of the game.

Uh no.

Step 1: Customer returns product to retailer.
Step 2: Retailer gets large amount of returns, goes to publisher and tells them to fix their shit or they'll stop stocking their products.
Step 3: Publisher implements changes to avoid pissing off their retailers, thereby benefiting the customer.

It's actually a pretty good way of getting the point across because returns can be measured, and because publishers buying large amounts of stock have much more power than individual customers (who might well put up with anything you do regardless, despite their claims).

You can now return your copies to Origin. :lol

wtf

http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/355/index/10302791

Any free landfill space in New Mexico?

Edit: whut

Strangeness: I'm not sure if its related to the agent but when I was talking to the first agent named Manik I was asked my email account and purchase #. Then I was kicked off Orgin because some one logged into my account!!!! I logged in again and got kicked off in 20 seconds. This happened four times. Then I went in and change my password and it stopped. Write in bold in reply if this happens to you!!!!

An End Once and For All really doesn't do it for me. I much prefer Suicide Mission myself. I do agree on Mass Effect 1's theme, though.

I love Suicide Mission. It has that heroic feel to it, like I'm doing something amazing and all of you should behold my greatness.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Suicide Mission is the clear standout for ME2. What a hopeful, yet kickass theme song. It's the song that plays in your mind when you're going into a situation you KNOW you're going to win, because the galaxy fucking will it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the AngryJoe video. I'm getting more annoyed by the ending by the minute. Also really like the Hitler Finds out about the Mass Effect 3 ending.

BeesEight

Anyways, /rant.

I sort of agree on your other points but this is just wishful thinking. Time and time again, BioWare has made it clear that they are responsible for all the poor decisions in their games. This sounds far too much like an apologist's excuse. The ending is actually quite in line with BioWare's M.O. See the ending for ME2 and DA2 as examples.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I still maintain that the overall game isn't nearly as good as many are asserting, a solid ending would've done a lot to push me over the edge though lulz.

Agreed. I can't believe they spent two years on it. The game was buggy, the cover mechanic was wonky, most of the battles were unmemorable copy-and-paste jobs, the space exploration/mining was garbage as usual, the war asset concept was worthless, the equipment sub-menu was poorly-implemented yet again, sidequest were not tracked well, the story "arc" is a retelling of the same "gather a team" conceit for the third time, there is a massive disconnect between the urgency the game says you are experiencing and the reality of the "hunt-around-the-environment-for-a-marginal-weapon-upgrade" design of combat and the fact that the most important combatant in the galaxy is routinely being sent on trivial fetch quests, the dramatic beats are completely unbelievable most of the time given the extermination that is occurring and acknowledged by all parties, the final battle sequences fail to communicate the scope of the conflict, etc.

The first 98% of the game was lazy as hell, and the last 2% was insulting. ME3 is fine on a moment-to-moment basis, but it's a mess if you take a step back and look at it with the slightest critical perspective.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think I must be one of the few who hated the ending but is still totally unwilling to return my copy of ME3. I mean overall I still liked it. It's quite possible that it may make my top 10 GOTY.

Nah, i will keep my copy too. Multiplayer is good. 95% of the campaign is good. I still have a lot of fun with the game, so im not stupid enough to just throw this fun away because of a shitty ending.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If amazon is honestly taking opened copies for full returns someone should start a separate thread because that is bananas. They didn't even do that with Batman:ac for people who never got a working cat woman code.

Personally not doing it because my playthrough with my bloodthirsty fem shep I will just stop pre Cerberus base.

LiK

Nah, i will keep my copy too. Multiplayer is good. 95% of the campaign is good. I still have a lot of fun with the game, so im not stupid enough to just throw this fun away because of a shitty ending.

yep, the new ending is coming anyways, hohoho

GSR

Also, please don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks of the kid as Space Shaun Mars now.

It'd be Jason, but the hoodie.

Nexas

Anyways, /rant.

I don't see how you could think this. If anything this ending shows a complete lack of focus testing. Focus groups hate endings like this. If it was focus tested we probably would have gotten a 'Shepard saves the day and lives happily ever after' ending, because that's what the mass market loves. It also kills any opportunity for ME4, which is not in EA's long term interest. People need to accept that this was Bioware's fault and their's alone.

inky

I avoided this one until now because (and who isn't) I am tired of this particular meme. It's spot on though. Spot. On.

"Don't worry, we'll make our own ending."

I didn't like the Hitler video(s) but one of them has Hitler playing paragon. Obvious joke to make, but it made me laugh more than it should.

If this keeps up I'm going to go ahead and guess that EA is just going to force Bioware to get out new endings even if the Writing Extraordinaire peoples don't want to.

Every attempt Bioware has made to get this to go away, deflecting with questions, posting threads on a Friday night has all been quite useless with how angry people are.

Hartt951

Okay, so I wrote a wall post on the Mass Effect Facebook Page just outlining grievances and asking for a new ending; standard stuff.

The cool thing is I actually got a response:
NpHK5.png

EDIT: Browsing through the wall posts it seems that the page is actually commenting back to a lot of people. Not as awesome as I first thought :(

Top Bottom