• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

So I'm readin Geoff Keighley' The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3.
Sorry if this is posted but...I'll just leave a sentence here:

"...In this case it's the trilogy that's ending and Casey Hudson doesn't want to be the guy who forgot to wrap up a plot line that fans want to see resolved."

oh man...this just hurts.

Derrick01

Banned

He was so careful to make sure minor plots weren't left unresolved that he forgot to check on the main fucking plot.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

The Final Hours app pretty much was the revealing conclusion to all the speculation.

Ragus

Banned
I have no interest in playing this game, but I have to ask:

Is the backlash bigger than the one that occured with ME2?

GSR

Yeah the squad selection was really disappointing coming off of ME2. I didn't mind to much as my team has always been Garrus and Tali. I mean, there are only... EDI, Liara and Vega that are certain right? Tali and Garrus can die in ME2 (or Tali in ME3), Ash/Kaiden can be refused access to the ship (or die protecting Udina? Not sure about this) and Javik is DLC.

Yeah, EDI/Liara/James are the only surefire squadmates (1 tech, 1 biotic, 1 combat). That said I didn't mind the ME3 crew that much, though I've never been much of a fan of Tali or Liara and James was pretty dull. Javik made up for it though. Love that guy, felt horrible when he said he was going to off himself when the war was over. Guess it doesn't matter now though, whoops.

I knew the ME2 cast was going to get shafted, but what I was really hoping for at least was that ME2 characters would be temporary squadmates for their missions, and perhaps depending on your actions you could bring some of them along to the final battle.

Derrick01

Banned

By far. Sadly most were ok with the radical action shift that the second game took.

This is all over the internet and has made appearances on Fox News and CNN too. Not the websites...the actual channels.

Dresden

http://biowarefans.blogspot.com/ This site has a good bit of wierd stuff collected from BSN. For instance the Tali doll entry somewhere in there.

hahaha oh wow

yswn7.png

we all know quarians are humans with photoshopped fingers now, so I guess he had the last laugh.

Kunohara

By far. Sadly most were ok with the radical action shift that the second game took.

This is all over the internet and has made appearances on Fox News and CNN too. Not the websites...the actual channels.

What really? On TV? Man, I really hope I get into the PAX panel. That panel is going to be awesome.

The backlash started off bad and then it all came to a head last thursday when the ME3 forum on BSN got locked and Casey Hudson's wiki page got edited to hell and back. So yeah, a lot bigger.

Most people though ME2 was great. I respectfully (well, maybe not always with respect) disagree, but ultimately, I felt ME2 could be redeemed by its sequel, as did most people, eventually.

Which for 99% it did, and then some kid shows up and rainbows and shit happen.

Riggs

Banned
The backlash started off bad and then it all came to a head last thursday when the ME3 forum on BSN got locked and Casey Hudson's wiki page got edited to hell and back. So yeah, a lot bigger.
Hey do you know of any screen caps of the edited wiki? Would love to see that.

Derrick01

Banned
BUT DON'T YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE ASARI MATRIARCH WRITINGS YOU FOUND IN ME1?

Actually yeah I did. I didn't want something like that to stay as busywork designed to extend a game's length. But I also didn't want those things to get in the way of the main plot. A normal studio would have fleshed both out.

What really? On TV? Man, I really hope I get into the PAX panel. That panel is going to be awesome.

Yeah I personally turned CNN on on Saturday and they were talking about it with their tech/game guy and all of the controversy this was causing. It was only like a 5 minute segment but he explained pretty clearly why so many were upset.

K' Dash

Most people though ME2 was great. I respectfully (well, maybe not always with respect) disagree, but ultimately, I felt ME2 could be redeemed by its sequel, as did most people, eventually.

Which for 99% it did, and then some kid shows up and rainbows and shit happen.

1282786204310.jpg

Plissken

I'm sure it's been said many times, but the ending would have been 100x better if they had just let Shepard activate the Crucible, have his talk with Anderson, die, and then just cut to the Red Space Magic ending where the Reapers are destroyed, cut to credits. No Catalyst bullshit, no Adam and Eve scene with Joker and whoever, just let Shepard sacrifice herself so the Reapers are dead, the end.

As for DLC changing the ending, I wouldn't hold my breath. Now that the game has multiplayer I see them going the CoD route, where we get 2-3 new N7/multiplayer maps every few months, with a new weapon or two thrown in for good measure.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have those BSN posts where members were acting as if this whole thing was a war? Those cracked me up.

One of the posts was kind of like "It's been 3 days and I'm exhausted. We've only been getting "thanks for the feedback" responses from Bioware. I still won't give up. Hold the line."

Hey do you know of any screen caps of the edited wiki? Would love to see that.

wKQQG.png

Yqxf0.jpg

Hudson started his career as a Technical Artist, developing art solutions for video games at Bioware, on many games, including Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic. He became game director on Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. His most recent psuedo-finished product, Mass Effect 3, had over 70 perfect 10/10 review scores - while the rest of the reviewers actually completed the game. His crowning achievement at Bioware was the utter destruction of the popular Mass Effect franchise. He is now viewed as a liar and a money-grabber by the rest of the gaming community. Promising not to make the Mass Effect trilogy end like A, B, C instead he took it upon himself to make it end like R, G, B."

After almost 7 years at Bioware, Casey and his team started working on an all-new IP : Mass Effect. On GameInformer[1], he stated that after doing some licensed projects, his employer should make some brand new content for its fans. He then became the executive producer on the franchise, which became very successful. However, he decided to use space magic in the final installment in order to appeal to the wizards and witches.

Riggs

Banned
Does anyone have those BSN posts where members were acting as if this whole thing was a war? Those cracked me up.

One of the posts was kind of like "It's been 3 days and I'm exhausted. We've only been getting "thanks for the feedback" responses from Bioware. I still won't give up. Hold the line."
Lol you must be new here, this is a war! Hold the fucking line. Jk but we must hold the line.

Helios thanks man!

Cyborg771

Neo Member
I just found something interesting (strongly from the indoctrination theory camp but w/e) when you're choosing between the three options in the catalyst the music apparently changes. The control and synthesis paths are sinister sounding but the destroy path sounds brighter and less dissident. Everything about the game is telling you that Destroy is the renegade option but music, the one non-diagetic element to the scene (since the HUD is gone at this point) is telling you the truth, that "red" is the best option.

Tokubetsu

I just found something interesting (strongly from the indoctrination theory camp but w/e) when you're choosing between the three options in the catalyst the music apparently changes. The control and synthesis paths are sinister sounding but the destroy path sounds brighter and less dissident. Everything about the games is telling you that Destroy is the renegade option but music, the one non-diagetic element to the scene (since the HUD is gone at this point) is telling you the truth, that "red" is the best option.

Well I mean yea. It sucks that you have to murder all geth and edi too, but destroy is the best ending. Synthesis is akin to existential rape. You change EVERY single living thing in the galaxy into a half synthetic being, sparing the reapers despite how many genocides they've done. I doubt the Quarians would be too happy either since, in a sense, they're basically half of what their life long enemies are. Control is just...blargh.

REV 09

seriously? this is ridiculous. The ending to a videogame would not be something that i would consider worthy of getting upset over. At this point it seems that people are just enjoying the memes though.

seriously? this is ridiculous. The ending to a videogame would not be something that i would consider worthy of getting upset over. At this point it seems that people are just enjoying the memes though.

You should get upset over the ending. It's one of the most important parts of the story. If you don't end a story satisfyingly, you end up with, well, all of this.

Top Bottom